The Cult feedback

Dude, i love you. Hippus are as much fun to play with as they are annoying to play against.

Nice balance between the two gameplay modes, it felt truly epic as i wandered through the caves with Tasunke (a super-upgraded horseman), Chalid (a bit out of place, true) and the finest horse archer the Hippus could offer.

This scenario changed my feelings toward the Hippus from hatred to respect. They truly are the best at what they are doing, no competition.

I like this scenario.

I do think after passing through the dungeon, that maybe a clear path ought to be made through the mountains, to the Northern lands. I.e., change mountain to hill in that bottleneck. It's not elegant, but it would let your poor stupid allies stream through that zone... or let counterattacks from the North take place (on assumption an "empty dungeon" is not an impediment anymore).

I did find a lake in the Western half of the map could make its way through the mountains, and I used that for an amphibious assault before even going all the way through the dungeon. At least gave me a beachhead for my intrepid dungeoncrawling army to come "home" to for various upgrades, without backtracking for 20 turns worth of dungeoncrawl.

With patch L that at some point, like after 80+ turns, my Doviello living units are getting the Mutated promotion along with whatever random promotions that come with it.

This was nice. First time hippus and as said before, hate them, but to play as them is fun, it's cheating.
And a nobrainer with those rich hinterlands. Lovely cities. floodplains on grassland, plenty hills, rivers. Two buddies that tech with you. They did pretty well actually following my plan. Mahala giving me the 1 iron while running up and down the pass entrance with his bizonriders, those graphics look good.
Played on emperor, beelined to knights and Magnadine.
Upgraded four nicely promoted horsemen from playing with os gabel and gargoyles to the flying knights and the five of them went into the pass, out into the land to destroy it completely and to raze every city in what..25 turns or so. By the time my army of 18 champions 4 elephants and a mage reached the other side it was game over.
I will not play this as illians or doviello, it would be too slow and boring compared to this trip.
Looking very much forward to Mulcarn Reborn, great story and gameplay so far.

edit: her bizonriders...not used to the sex change yet :)
edit2: yes i defeated red dragon with combat odds 14.3%
a good trip it was indeed, still needed him on my list.

Well, completed this scenario and here are some things I was able to remember. :) I played Auric.

Hippus are way too strong and Doviello too weak. Tasunke was able to dominate most of map and captured almost all enemy cities. They took out Cardith's south patr out soon and later when Mahala did nothing they took out Sheim too. Later on after opening pass they conquered all Sheim cities but 2 and 2 Cardith's cities too. Close to end, when I had not more than 40 units spread across all empire (roughly 24 units stack conquering and steadily being reinforced), Mahala had quite standart army but almost not attacking, Tasunke had like 116 Champions :)wow:), 30 mounted units (hors. arch. and chariots) and bunch of other units too.
Mahala on the other side did almost nothing except they suicided Lucien few turns after the game begun. It looks they lack resources (happy and food), because in the time I opened the Pass I had 19 pop capital (and 3 others over 12 pop), Tasunke had 13 pop capital and Lorda 19 pop capital, they were down to 6 and haven't started to grown until gambling houses and infirmaries came online.

I hated Tasunke giving me resources all the time. First I got iron which was greatly appreciated, but then I got 3 more, 3 horses and few others too. At least I was sending them to Mahala. (Shouldn't he send it straight to Doviello?)

Dungeon really spiced it up.:goodjob: Though doing it once was enough and opening the pass helped much. (It would be much harder to win without Hippus sending their armies through the Pass:)) But the barbarians were settling cities in dungeon, are they supposed to do so? They kept rebuilding one just under Drifta's rib cage.:)

Dragons. I had almost no time to "enjoy" them.:( Acheron killed 2 of my Champions before turning attention elsewhere. The other attention was Abashi who was propably already weakened by Sheims cause he instantly killed her only to be destroyed next turn. Eurabatres was the only one fooling around bit longer. Though he didn't behave in way proper and noble dragon should behave.:) In time great battles took place on Sheim-Kuriotates borders involving all nations, he was flying across my countryside and killing "innocent" workers, slowly being injured by Hippus. Finally he was killed by chariot who got 50 XP. Is he able to capture cities? He was able to take each my city (they were guarded by one javelin thrower each), instead he passed them. I believe dragons should stay close to rest od they army (Isn't AI too bold with them cause they're so strong?) More Abashi and Eurabatres could get Cannibalize or March (I believe Acheron has got march being barbarian?) to last bit longer. EDIT: Btw. Where does the dragons spawn? In capitals? Because to the fact, they were defeated quite easily, their position close to frontlines helped lot.

Last (at least from what I remember:)) issue is that Cardith built one settlement on small island in water near their territory (horses and sheep lived there) and after defeating them I had to build city near water (Their capital was taken by Tasunke), build ship, and sail my troops there. Quite boring.

One more thing. After destroying either Sheim or Kuriotates I got no pop-up (I like them:)) and when no one was left I had to click End turn to get Victory pop-up.

P.S. Does Slow works properly? I am sure I casted it on 6 units stack, got 5 Spell resisted messages, though 5 units were held. Once more I casted it on 3 units, got 2 Spell resisted and two were held. Other times I didn't payed attention to it.

P.P.S. Thing that annoyed me most is, that I was eager to finally stop this maniacal bastard and somehow I missed the fact that Mulcarn Reborn is one of the missing scenarios. I was really angry when I found it.:mad:
(I long to find out if Lucian is going to redeem himself (and Doviello) and will help to stop mad regicide:)

That's all, I think.

For some reason the Illians can't make the white hand ritual.

Also, a couple of tiles northwest of the Hippus starting city are grasslands + floodplane resulting in a +5 food tile before improvements.

Played this scenario as the Doviello. Went out quite nice. Just use the familiar strategy of the Doviello: swarm melee units. Not Tasunke nor Auric had managed to take any of the southern cities from the Sheaim or the Kuoritates. I was too fast for them.

Bee-lined to Iron Working and founded some cities on the east side to produce battlemasters. Tasunke and Auric developed quite well. Tasunke managed to stay ahead of me in score most of the game.

As in most Doviello games, Lucian wasn't my primary melee combatant. I always end up getting some regular beastman to sons of Asena and finally to battlemaster to be my primary city defense breaker.

The dungeon part was fine, kinda long. Defeating the Minotaur was cool!
The first unit I've sent though the portal was Lucian, just to check thing out there. Guess who was just two squares away from him when he got out of the portal: Abashi!
Quickly I've put the rest of my strike team through the portal to support Lucian.

The next turn Abashi acted like no one was there and simply continued west towards the Kuoritates.

On patch 'y', the pass opens up after you complete the dungeon. I didn't realize that until I noticed huge amounts of my allies's troops going through the pass. Even the Illians with their meager two cities produced some powerful units and sent them to the front. I almost didn't have to do anything else. The Sheaim got overrun quickly. Illians and Hippus had taken over every city they had.
The Kuoritates were in far better condition, though. Their dragon was holding the line for them. I then brought War Machine and tore down their last cities.

One of the best scenarios I've played so far. I still have lots of others to try, but this one was off the charts!

Possible Bug -- I'm playing the Illians, does the game 'think' I'm a vassal of the Doviello? My capital Garduk has the square to the west and then southwest in its fat cross, and it is also in the fat cross of the Doviello city Mortensholm. The culture for the tile says 97% Ilian, 2% Doviello; nonetheless, it is in the Doviello cultural border.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Attachments

• huh.CivBeyondSwordSave
    231 KB · Views: 199
I finished the scenario. Besides the bug reported in the post above, I think the scenario was nice. However, I thought it was quite easy

Spoiler :
I played the Illians. In the beginning, I was 'competing' with my Allies for good terrain, especially the powerful Hippus. It was kind of annoying that they often beat me to good spots! However, these allies are quite powerful so letting them be strong is helpful.

It was also disappointing that I couldn't build the Illian rituals. I had never played the Illians berfore; to be honest, the Illians without their rituals are rather weak.

But it didn't matter. There is one simple way to win this Scenario which I assume will always work - Take your time!! First, expand to everywhere you can on your side of Pristine Pass. Take out the Sheam and Kurio cities that you can. Again, build up. I got a lot of mages.

Why does this work? Well, your side has three powers cooperating on research. Btw, don't forget to have your allies research a religion or two. This will allow you to get the L1 disciple units where the religion has spread (since you use team research, you get the tech!; some religion will alwys spread) so you can have a unit that heals your SoD.

While your three powers are coodinating, and the Hippus are quite tough, the Sheam and the Kurioatates are beating each other up. So, when you have settled every inch of your side of the mountains, build a 30 unit SoD with mages, one or two guys who help healing. you can waltz across the pass. For me, I took the Sheam and I had the Hippus wipe out the Kurios; even the Doviello had a nice 20+ unit stack of battlemasters. I got there at the end to help the Hippus who didn't need it (but they were slow. Justifies the ending. :))

So, the longer you go, the stronger your SoD, the easier beating the dragons, the better your research, the more the Sheam and the Kurios kill each other.

I think the only way to lose really is to try to take the pass too quickly.

It was kind of fun to sit back with an easy one!

Btw, why is it called 'The Cult'? Is it because fo the cult of dragons?

Best wishes,

Breunor

Started as the Doviello, as have had little experience with them. Immortal level.

Spoiler :
My starting terrain wasn't the best. I'm getting a -1 :food: penalty on grassland and plains, as well as a -1 :hammers: penalty on plains. I had decent land to expand into, but then found I could not even farm plains....:cry: My starting Deer resource saved me from initial stagnation.

Got the Allies to help tech Way of the Wicked, changed to Slavery and got whipping. The Doviello are good for rushing though, so I immediately captured the only Sheaim city on our side of the pass before they spammed too many Pyre Zombies. The Hippus took the Kuriotate city on their side of the map soon after. With nothing left to rush, I took Breunor's advice and just turtled, which I found was the only option I could take, though with the Doviello was not an optimum strategy you want to find yourself in.

I started pumping out worker's and settler's to get a foundation established before my allies stole it. I got the Allies to tech RoK which was founded in one of my cities. My Godking boosted capital spammed Thane's to spread the religion and to culture bomb new cities, then later Stonewarden's to quickly auto-build Temples of Kilmorph. I got Bambur, but lost out to the Hippus who made Arthendain.

The Hippus were just monster's on this map. They took barb cities and spread rapidly, assisted by an already extensive army. At one stage they had blocked off the Illian with early cities. To get around it, I basically had the cities gifted to me, who in turn would be gifted to the Illian. The Illian were more interested in building wonders in their capital, which was putting the squeeze on my capital's land next door! By the end they had even built a Temple of Kilmorph and Temple of Leaves in there?? They were crushing my capital with so much culture I actually had to bomb it with a GB, and later blow a GE on Syliven's Perfect Lyre! :crazyeye:

So I merely turtled, built just an army around my only hero, Bambur, to take the dungeon and open up the pass. The dungeon was a good little side track, but could have been so much more.... I thought I'd leave the vast armies of my Allies to deal with these monstrous dragon's I had heard about. I leisurely opened up the pass at Turn 300. The game was won on Turn 339.

As soon as the pass was opened, the 3 dragon's spawned. The next turn Acheron is dead; I think it suicided into a Sheaim city with Abashi in it. I think also at this point that the Kuriotates and Sheaim declare war on each other too. While my stack waited at the portal exit for my allies to start pouring through, the Kurio and Sheaim all of a sudden had some big stack's slamming into each other before my eye's, while virtually ignoring me.

When my allies started pouring through with their SoD a massive wound feast ensued. I then cast my World Spell to add fodder to the huge fray! The Hippus speeding about dueling with the equally fast Centaur was a dazzling sight, while I backed up the Illian's who were tending to the slower Sheaim on the right. Abashi seemed to want to simultaneously defend every Sheaim city at once. It kept moving around, but the cities were falling before it could shift there, and it ended up vapourizing, without a drop of blood spilled, when their last city got razed. On the other hand, Eurabatres, the Kurio's gold dragon get's a special mention. It would come charging out of their border's supported with Centaur, kill some stuff, and then retreat back to heal. It was by far the most effective dragon out of the three, and the most effective enemy unit in the game! :goodjob:

Points of Interest:

*Had a small problem that has occurred in other 'Allied' scenario's. Sometimes one of your allies won't research what you want. You have to then order them to study something else, then go back to them and order them to again research what you're studying. Then they do it.

*Bambur couldn't cast Enchanted Blade on allies, yet Priest's casting Shield of Faith could?

*Maelstrom could be cast and damage allies, but not start war's?

Overall, an enjoyable scenario, made easier by a single choke point enabling turtling. It could have been more intense if mass Gargoyle's did spawn from the Pristinus Passes. The Kuriotate and Sheaim (or some other combo) should start Allied to offer a united front when you pour through the pass. Maybe the red dragon, Acheron, should spawn in the middle of the pass, behind the unit's that have just opened it. That may keep it alive longer and definitely give you a big surprise!!!

I never got any Gargoyles spawning from the guardians, are they supposed to?
I agree with everyone else and the Hippus took over everywhere whilst the Doviello suffered.

I never got any Gargoyles spawning from the guardians, are they supposed to?
I agree with everyone else and the Hippus took over everywhere whilst the Doviello suffered.

They (the gargoyles) were probably triggered by one of your Allies; the Hippus especially are likely to trip them early.

Best wishes,

Breunor

But I was the first one to enter the gauntlet thing and I never saw any gargoyles whatsoever. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen any non-Luichuirp gargoyles.

But I was the first one to enter the gauntlet thing and I never saw any gargoyles whatsoever. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen any non-Luichuirp gargoyles.

Maybe the gargoyles spring out before entering the actual pass, if you get close? I'm not sure. Are you positive one of your Allies didn't enter, even on a part move? Maybe they don't spring up if it is too late in the game? Indeed, maybe even the opponents (who have some cities on your side of the pass) triggered them?

Best wishes,

Breunor

I had a unit inside the gauntlet thing with guardians on the 8 or 9th turn, I probably would have seen the gargoyles. Maybe the Gargoyles only spawn when you play above a certain difficulty? I was playing warlord (I know, I'm not very good).

Can anyone please explain to me why we can't build the Illian rituals in this scenario? I"m playing the Illians for the first time for a change from Doviello and Hippus, but man it sucks not having a priest. Have a great Hunter than now has the diseased promotion.

Another note, anyone have messed up Griffons in this scenario. I've never captured Griffons before that could not use impassabel terrain and had only 1 movement point. bizarre

Another note, anyone have messed up Griffons in this scenario. I've never captured Griffons before that could not use impassabel terrain and had only 1 movement point. bizarre

This scenario blocks the ability to fly. This is so you do not simply fly over the dungeon on the right side or the mountain chain the keeps you seperate from the bulk of the Kuriotate and Sheaim empires.

This scenario blocks the ability to fly. This is so you do not simply fly over the dungeon on the right side or the mountain chain the keeps you seperate from the bulk of the Kuriotate and Sheaim empires.

Thanks...that does make sense. And about the rituals for the Illians. However, I wish I did not play this scenario as the Illians. I found it not very interesting at all.

An alternate approach could have been to set all those peaks to pPlot.setMoveDisabledHuman(True)

Top Bottom