The Deity Challenge Line-up #17 - Germany

I really have to try and persevere on this map. I'd very much like to see Panzer spam but I can't get past Harry's unit spam which eventually kills me regardless of how good I defend, I simply get overwhelmed by sheer numbers :/

The key is to bribe your neighbor until you have combined arms tech and enough gold and happiness to start war if you want panzer spam. The constant wars will slow his science so much that his units will die in 1 hit. The hardest part is of course getting there, and it pretty much plays like a science game until then.

I know, I hit a roadblock waaaay before then:

scenario A: I steal a worker, war goes on for 100 turns, just as the storm clears, there come his Pikes and my defenses are depleted

scenario B: I don't steal a worker, try to build up, eventually stalemate

I think on this map you have to either wait until Berserkers are naff, or take him out in the first 60 turns before he gets them. I did the latter cuz I love Archers and CS Spearmen.

I think on this map you have to either wait until Berserkers are naff, or take him out in the first 60 turns before he gets them. I did the latter cuz I love Archers and CS Spearmen.

Agreed. On my partial Honour attempt, I laid down a citadel (GG from 2nd policy) and took his capital with archers early; I'm pretty sure this was out of spite after a failed Honour attempt where my worker steal pissed him off eternally. On my full Liberty attempt, I went after him while he was fighting to the East; can't remember if I bribed to start this or not.
I dislike the idea of waiting until an immediate neighbour's strong UU is obsolete because it gives them an opportunity to conquer with their UU and snowball out of control, and that's what we're supposed to be doing :)

Which of the two seems easier for a non-warmongering player (me!) to pull off? A CB rush (tried a few times no success), or turtle until Panzers (never got to that point)

I thought so as well. I watched your LP up to that point, you didn't get overwhelmed badly enough to be in danger and once you took off, man, it was beautiful :)

Panzermonium

I mostly did some role playing here, played just for fun as in other DCLs is was beginning to get frustrated with my bad results. I wanted to use the uniques to the max, so I did some warmongering in the beginning, and then turtled until Panzers and finished the map with modern era units including nukes.

Spoiler :
I don't really remember the early game in detail because it was a while ago and I lost the initial autosaves. I was pretty lucky with barb hunts, got 4 of them (2 archers 2 warriors), and managed to steal a worker from Denmark. He never forgave me and it was a real pain because I wanted to settle El Dorado but I couldn't because he would capture it (I reloaded because of that). I was planning on getting Copenhagen anyway so I built some archers myself and rushed Construction to end the deal. This delayed my NC (early 100s) but overall it was a good decision as Copenhagen got Statue of Zeus and it actually went well with my panzer strategy.

I opened honor to see the barb camps, and then went for full tradition, I wanted to do a 3 city set up, but I found el dorado while building my second settler, and apparently I was the first one so I bought a settler with the cash. I didn't use the 3rd settler because of Harald and his mighty army, but I just kept it around. The terrain really helped, I mostly trapped his army in the marshes and destroyed it unit by unit. When he was weak enough I founded my 4th city and used my first GG on a citadel near copenhagen. I went for early Iron Working and upgraded my Warriors to Swordsman, and after that I managed to get the capital. They were soon eliminated from the game by russia, so they took the heat.

I managed to have friendly relationships with all my neighbors despite my early warmongering so I just turtled my way up to modern era basically playing a science game up to ST, with honor left side for filler policies before rationalism. Then I did Electricity for oxford Radio to get Order, and switched to the bottom part of the tree. After Combustion I started building only landships and once I got to Combined Arms I upgraded them all to panzers and launched my attack.

I chose Order instead of Autocracy because of Kremlin and the Hanse. I think order really compliments the Hanse bonus well. You have Worker's Faculties for fast factories (and a nice addition to science), then once you get the five year plan rolling you get a lot of raw production that will be buffed by Hanse. For tier 3 Spaceflight Pioneers I think is better than Iron Courtian for my strategy (attack with a massive amount of Panzers) there really wasn't any reason for annexing, and I stopped the internal trade routes to set up the Hanse bonus.

With railroad bonus, Hanse bonus and all the other buffs to production from order, the cities had a really good production. Berlin, with Kremlin, was building landships (and later Panzers) every other turn. There was loads of oil, as I allied all the CS that had it.

I managed to win the World Fair (first proposal) and that helped me fill my policies faster. I even opened commerce with the intention of getting Wagon Trains but never got to it.

I was really bummed because I lost Brandenburg Gate to Russia, but luckily with Military Tradition I was getting a decent amount of XP for my panzers. After terrain level 3, I was taking repair and then blitz, but really just a few tanks got to that point.

The first to go were Ethiopia who still had a functioning Great Wall, but with 6 movement from my panzers I didn't really care. Then Russia who had lots of land and 2 capitals (the also had the Mayan capital), Polynesia, then a little break to try and get England to break a DoF, but gave up and broke it myself (with a nuke, dowed Egypt at the same time with it :)) and 5 turns later it was over finishing with Egypt (it would have been 4 turns if I hadn't stupidly upgraded my Panzers and lost 1 movement point). For Thebes, because I forgot to put a spy in the capital, I was killing my own units with nukes, but I really didn't have the patience to bring all my panzers in to finish the job.

I mostly used panzers for city capturing with the exception of 2 English cities and the Egyptian capital, which were weakaned with Nukes. I had a decent number of bombers which I used for hitting units, and sometimes cities. Russia gave me a huge cash deal on peace treaty so I bought a good number of nukes to use on England as they were the strongest civ left. The detour to nukes was really worth it, and it was really satisfying breaking a DOF and dowing both my last targets at the same time with a single nuke. At last no warning message for Declaring war on someone.

I didn't build a single siege unit, as panzers did a pretty good job and I could grab a 100+ strength city at full health in a single turn with them.

Screenshots:
Spoiler :

I included a screenshot from earlier save, unfortunately I don't have any save from capturing Copenhagen.

Hojotoho! Hojotoho!
Heiaha! Heiaha!
Helmwige! Hier!
Hieher mit dem Ross!

@ST I'm also trying this map again this weekend, let's see who reaches gotterdammerung first! :)

Top Bottom