The Deity Challenge Line-up #19 - The Aztecs

It wasn't even nearby, though, it was half a world away, and I already had the Honour opener.

Maybe Mercenary Army has an unseen side-effect that creates extra barbarian camps? If Entrepreneurship can give additional embarked movement (like the other thread revealed), maybe this is another unseen effect.

Maybe it couldve been a coincidence. Barbarian camps often pop out at random throughout the turns in a play.

My guess is that it was a graphics bug. There are a ton of them that show things happening at different times to when they actually happen. Like the AI missionaries that move, spread religion, then move again. Or the units that move at the beginning of your turn when actually they moved before. Stuff like that.

Too bad the camp wasn't closer to your units. Nothing is more amusing later in the game than just smashing into a fresh barb camp with an OP unit :D

Like the AI missionaries that move, spread religion, then move again.
And then vanish cause they used up all their spread
Or when you repair a pillaged lux and the happiness doesn't go up and if you mouse-over the tooltip shows difficulty based happiness is 4 points lower than it should (until next turn)

My guess is that it was a graphics bug. There are a ton of them that show things happening at different times to when they actually happen. Like the AI missionaries that move, spread religion, then move again. Or the units that move at the beginning of your turn when actually they moved before. Stuff like that.

Too bad the camp wasn't closer to your units. Nothing is more amusing later in the game than just smashing into a fresh barb camp with an OP unit :D

Being the Aztecs, I would've farmed that barb camp for all the culture it was worth :D It appeared late-game, too, who knows what kind of culture a few Great War Infantries would've given me.

The culture per kill for each kill is pretty irrelevant as a fraction of the next SP in later eras, I'm afraid :(

The culture per kill for each kill is pretty irrelevant as a fraction of the next SP in later eras, I'm afraid :(

A barbarian Great War Infantry would give 100 culture. Killing 2 or 3 shaves off a policy-turn. And if I wait long enough, CSes might ask me to remove it. It's definitely worth it, to wait before destroying the camp.

OK, I know, but you say 'Who knows'.

As an English teacher, I would tell my students that this phrase means that you're not sure but it's a really large number.

"Who knows how many women Wilt Chamberlain has bedded..."

1/3 of a policy turn is not much, but if you like to do this, then fine, I'm not arguing with you.

A barbarian Great War Infantry would give 100 culture. Killing 2 or 3 shaves off a policy-turn. And if I wait long enough, CSes might ask me to remove it. It's definitely worth it, to wait before destroying the camp.

I've only seen barbarian Riflemen a couple of times

Turn 296 SV

I've played four or five of these DCLs (thanks, again, consentient) and not won a single one. But I felt that was in part because of two things: 1) I started playing them just as I was getting bored of my basic trad4turtleSV playstyle, so I kept trying new approaches that I didn't know how to make work and 2) I would play much more quickly than I usually do, trying to keep up with the fortnightly pace.

So, even before I knew what civ would be next, I decided I was going to play it trad4turtleSV, and I was going to play it at my usual slow pace. Monty, whom I've only played once I think, turned out to be really well suited to tall.

Spoiler :
and all the jungles were really well suited to science.

Settled in place. Built jags instead of scouts as some others here. First expo city SE, second over by the three tile lake, third up by Old Faithful.

I don't steal workers, but I got lucky and rescued two, so that helped me with early development.

The world was very violent, but I just sat peacefully in my corner and dreamed of going to the stars. I built about half a dozen jags and upgraded them through the whole game (and took 'em on a trip over to FoY). So I would have been happy to have China or Netherlands attack and fight a defensive war for the culture. But it never happened. Wu citadel-bombed my truffles, but that's it. I was friends with everybody but Wu and Gaja.

The world was violent, and what I've never seen, wars were pretty balanced. Good for me. They waste their resources going back and forth with no net gain, while I build. Eventually, Gaja wiped out Poland and some of Netherlands. And Maya got diminished early and wiped out late.

Only two research agreements. Wu beat me to PT by one turn. Hubble was my only wonder. Decent luck with CS quests and WLtKD luxes.

I loved the growth from the Floating Gardens. Before turn 100 my 2nd expo, down by the big lake and wheat fields surpassed the size of my capital, which almost never happens.

My usual boring victory. 10-20 turns earlier than usual because of the growth and the two jungle-mountain cities. 1250bpt at the end rather than the ~1000 I usually top out at.

aztec.jpg

So I read Acken with ToA and decided to give it a try. Mind you, I have never built it on any difficulty level. Going for ToA screwed me over so bad. First, I panicked that there were no workers to steal, so I went on Sofia and parked my scout to get more workers, but Sofia simply did not make any workers for 40+ turns. lol I did snatch a worker, but got a little angsty about ToA and stunted my growth to finish it in time. Then I had to harass China for workers and block her settlers. Then I researched Masonry instead of Bronze Working (zzzz). And then decided to expand to 4 cities before even going for NC, which was a big mistake, and Antwerp already nabbed the sugars. On t85, my cap is only pop 5, I am finishing granary and then will start on NC. But at least I am swimming in gold and managed to get 5 workers for free. My golden age just started, and I will furiously chop for this NC.

PS: Oh, the Aztec water mill replacement works on rivers, too. I thought it was only for lakes. Welp, gg my last expo. Rest in pieces.

Well done Gori! If you enjoyed the game, that's the most important thing. I know that one part of you wanted to try other strategies, but they can wait for another DCL. Might I recommend you read Moriarte's Liberty Domination guide? That's a great starting point :)

So I read Acken with ToA and decided to give it a try. Mind you, I have never built it on any difficulty level. Going for ToA screwed me over so bad. First, I panicked that there were no workers to steal, so I went on Sofia and parked my scout to get more workers, but Sofia simply did not make any workers for 40+ turns. lol I did snatch a worker, but got a little angsty about ToA and stunted my growth to finish it in time. Then I had to harass China for workers and block her settlers. Then I researched Masonry instead of Bronze Working (zzzz). And then decided to expand to 4 cities before even going for NC, which was a big mistake, and Antwerp already nabbed the sugars. On t85, my cap is only pop 5, I am finishing granary and then will start on NC. But at least I am swimming in gold and managed to get 5 workers for free. My golden age just started, and I will furiously chop for this NC.

It's the fact that I got some lucky workers which were going between China's 2 cities that allowed a fast ToA, chopping wood. Forces you to skip scouts too. I believe my BO was Scout Monument ToA and was on production focus at size 3. I believe however that China had a very vulnerable horse spot north of her capital for some stealing.

I would advise against ToA unless you get workers. It's the fact that I got some lucky workers which were going between China's 2 cities that allowed a fast ToA, chopping wood.
It's ok. The start was slow, but I am catching up rapidly. I am more upset that I did not settle my last expo on river. I should have read the UB description more carefully.

I believe however that China had a very vulnerable horse spot north of her capital for some stealing.
Yeah, I stole from that spot and pillaged it, but then she never dispatched more workers, and another worker was simply moving in Shanghai to hill and back to city. I was lucky that a barb camp had a worker, and then China tried expanding, so I snatched her settler. But it was already too late. I did something like scout-scout-jaguar-ToA-settlers. No monument because Aztec UA, and no shrine because no point. I just got flustered with settlers and then built a caravan on full production instead of growing.

Looks like Gori also placed Texcoco between the mountain. Haha I thought I was the only one.

My expos are actually rapidly outgrowing the capital, and I will soon run into happiness issues.

@ Acken

Actually, I see you got Education on t106, and I got mine on t109 with 4 cities. I think I overreacted. My growth is simply stunning. It completely outpaces my early stagnation.

Top Bottom