1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

The Deity Challenge Line-up #30 - Iroquois

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Acken, May 21, 2015.

1. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

He was actually nice to me the entire game. At one point I received news of him marching an army to my cap, and I was like lol come at me bro. But he was then triple DoWed and I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, so he backed out obviously

2. FrostK

FrostK Prince

Defeat at turn 285 (Inca SV) while opening all required techs on turn 270.:crazyeye:

3. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

That's some fast teching you guys are seeing. I was the tech leader by 200 in my game and if I sat back, nobody would have launched before 320ish

4. Acken

Acken Deity

This is mostly due to the AI chosing the right policies (Rationalism) and putting people in the right slots. Kind of a proof the game isn't well balanced.

5. prodi

prodi Chieftain

Added screenshot to my original post.

6. sun8119

sun8119 Warlord

SV T278

Spoiler :

Although some AIs completed Apollo they were nowhere near finishing the game. I am actually surprised that with no worker steals and only 3 cities I managed to win this before T280.

Anyway, very peaceful game on my part, not a single bribe, culture and gold was pretty weak till about T220 or so. I managed to win WF though.

Not a single early game wonder. Only AI's religion, no faith to buy a single GS. Tradition + Freedom (-31 pressure at the end) as usual. Osininka was forced to settle there due to barbarians.

Attached Files:

7. Olodune

Olodune Emperor GOTM Staff

t259 Domination

Modern/Atomic slugfest

Spoiler :

Building up a solid tech base seems prudent here - I want to be able to answer a possible CV attempt from Pacha quickly if need be.

t191 Plastics, leads to a significant tech lead, and a reasonably well developed core. For some reason this was not an Order friendly game. Monty went Autocracy first, I went Order, then Inca/Russia :)eek: ) /Polynesia all went Freedom. That meant two full levels of Ideological pressure.

I know I could grind out an SV fairly easily here, but pushing for domination seems like a challenge on this map.

So the plan was to get some GWBs into the air, declare on Ahurbanipal (the technological laggard) and train up for super Bombers later in the game. That didn't work.

Just as I started building bombers I got dual DoWed by Russia and the Aztecs. This is very awkward since both have huge navies (so long trade routes), but are out of range of my bombers. Cathy also has troops in the Westland making trouble for my two cities there.

I ended up taking the island city of Tver' from which I could finally mount an assault on Russia:

Polynesia/Inca were mostly poshovers, but Monty was a whole different story. Usually I can just throw XCOMs at an AI that can survive the IBT and then pillage heal the following turn. Monty had a different plan.

In fact I got pushed back from both Warsaw and Tenochtitlan, losing ALL my XCOMs in the process. His navy also crushed my meagre force of subs and BBs, so in the early 250s my entire force was 7 Stealth Bombers, 3 Carriers, 2 Jet Fighters, 1 BB, 1 Sub, 1 Lancer, 1 XB, and 1 Infantry. Not an easy final war.

Of course, the Stealth Bombers can clean up the mess eventually. XCOM reinforcements seal the deal at the gates of Delhi.

The endgame could have been handled much more cleanly. If I'd known XCOMs were needed I could have set up a Nuke/XCOM blitz significantly faster. :rolleyes:

@Acken
    Spoiler :

I assume the Inca got the extra settler, right? It helped them.

8. beetle

beetle Deity GOTM Staff

I hardly noticed the brutes, as I have been playing raging barbs. I am going uncheck that option!

I loved the map for Iroquois! Thanks! Hills with forest are best (well, only decent) terrain for longhouse. I so appreciated being able to use forest roads in core empire until railroad. The map script is never so kind.

Okay, so which AI got the buff?

9. Acken

Acken Deity

Spoiler :
    Incas

10. nickytootricky

nickytootricky Warlord

Attached Files:

11. consentient

consentient Domination!

Nice win, nicky! :)

- - -

@All DCL players

Just a general announcement that (for now at least) stormtrooper412 will be taking over the updating of the spreadsheet. When he is done with the current update, he will tell Acken who will amend the link. To make his job a little easier, I suggest that when the updated version comes out, that every player check their own details to make sure they are sound. Highlighting victory posts is also a great idea. Ideally, these should begin with a message in bold like "T135 Domination", so it's really easy for him to see.

12. beetle

beetle Deity GOTM Staff

So, did anyone snag the ruins on the mountains?

Yes, the free roads are pretty weak, do not scale, and no snowballing there. The Mohawk warrior is a good defensive unit early, so built all the melee you ever need then. The keep their unique promotion, but of course woods are not relevant once you go on the offense.

But you pointed out how forested hills are great with the longhouse, and this map has plenty of those! Early production is strong, and stays strong. So not as terrible as I thought they would be.

What is IBT?

13. Olodune

I remember thinking: nice! late ruins! hmm. difficult to get to.

IBT: in-between-turns, or, during the AIs turns. Yeah, not very clear.

14. peddroelm

peddroelm King

Spoiler :
    Land route look atrocious (bad terrain) .. But frigates ? Not all capitals accessible by water but swimming artillery should be able to finish the job once seas are secured

Also on second look terrain is not quite as bad (worker steal is problematic - but planting cities will grant forest roads for troop movement)

15. Olodune

@peddroelm

Peddro!

I started watching your Moo3 LP the other day. I think that was the first game I got burned by a pre-order. If I make it to the last few episodes it looks like I'll be the 2nd viewer on some of those :lol: Nice work. Out of the box it was in bad shape.

That whole memory is probably why I still haven't picked up Beyond Earth. I'll wait for a major patch (or two) first.

It would be fun to see you play this one out ;)

Spoiler :

I think Frigates are a solid option - you can reach 4 of the starting AI's capitals - and defend the starting area from land attacks. I considered that option, but was a little worried a delayed Sci Meth would be too costly.

Artillery would be harder than usual, I think.

16. peddroelm

peddroelm King

Yup - didn't finish the Moo3 LP due to lack of interest :) ..

17. consentient

consentient Domination!

Naval warfare is not my forte, and I'm very bored by any map where I can't at least take a capital or two by land.

I think the terrain is among the worst I've seen for my own preferences. Difficult to steal workers, even more difficult to get science leech from caravans. Difficult to get going in general. Not a domination-friendly map.

Regardless, I'm delighted you've blessed us with your presence, and I'm hoping you'll play some more DCLs and/or contribute to the Domination For Noobs thread which I'm putting together and you were instrumental in inspiring. :)

18. beetle

beetle Deity GOTM Staff

To the folks who got a fourth city on the mainland: Did you forward settle your first expo? At about what turn were you done with expos? I realize I should be able to figure out city settle order from their names, but please help me out. I was lucky to get three cities, and really counted on the mountains for screening defense, so I am quite amazed to see screen shots with what I would have thought were very vulnerable expos.

Nice! Anyone make much use of that outside of your core three (or four cities)?

At one point I had fortified longswords on forested hills. They stood up to quite the beating from knights and lancers. I was pleasantly surprised, especially given my low expectations for the UU/UA. Again, a fun great map for Iroquois (even if I can’t beat it).

19. Bimblecrumbs

Bimblecrumbs Warlord

I'm currently trying
    Spoiler :
    an Xbow onwards domination attempt, the results of which I'll post here within a week. I would post it sooner but I don't have all that much time for Civ at the moment. "Attempt" is the operative word here due to the mountain ranges, buffed Incans, slow start and other problems, so it might not be a win :)

20. Olodune

Spoiler :

I settled the 4th (Akwesasme) around t61 -> t63. That is a little later than normal. I may have been lucky that Assyria decided to go after India early rather than spam settlers. It is vulnerable. I think it is better to settle only 3 on the mainland followed by 2 or 3 in the west, but that requires map knowledge since it is difficult to scout the subcontinent early enough.