The Deity Challenge Line-up #37 - France

Built Petra by T73

Spoiler :
Other competitors were Aztecs (who took Desert Folklore pantheon) and Gandhi with his second city on desert. I was observing Gandhi's second city to see of he is building petra there. I wasn't able to find Aztec land by the time I started Petra, but for good measure I DOWed him.

Though I got Petra, I wasn't able to leverage it very well because of war with Indonesia and I was always behind in tech (partly because of currency detour), thereby losing all cultural wonders :(. But my capital is awesome late game :).

Nothing special to see here. I basically built up and played nice till I had Rocket Artillery. I decided to press into Indonesia a bit and sold Jakarta for about 300 gpt. After that I just teched up and blasted off into space.

Attachments

• France Science Victory.jpg
    France Science Victory.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 153
T259 Culture Victory

Spoiler :

Settled France besides the mountain and beelined Currency for Petra. Was unlucky with ruins. Got only two ruins. Also, lost Desert Folklore to Aztecs. Took God-King pantheon (Palace provides +1 of everything) as there were no better alternatives. Built 2 settlers and settled first near Karakatoa for +5 science to reach Currency early and the next one near Indonesia. Teched to Currency by T60. Was watching India's second city which was on desert for Petra. Also, DOWed Aztecs for good measure. Got Petra by T73.

Built 4th city around T85 and purchased library in it. Finished National College by T101. When I was set to take advantage of Petra capital, got DOWed by Indonesia. Paris was building military for the next 15 turns. I could have lost my city if not for bad unit placement by AI.

Reached Education by T116 and built Maachu Pichu.

Persia and Portugal were competing for all culture wonders. Generated a GE first, so I could rush a theming wonder to take advantage of France UA, but all the culture wonders were gone before I could tech there. Even Hermitage got delayed because of weak culture early game. I could not put any points into Aesthetics between Tradition and Rationalism. Only after two points into Rationalism, I opened aesthetics and then Cultural Centers and then started building culture buildings.

Got Radio with Oxford and picked Freedom Ideology on T174. Used my first GE on Eiffel Tower, and hard built Broadway (only theming world wonder) in Paris and
generated two GM to get the theming bonus.

Once the culture got started was able to eat through policies pretty fast. By the end of the game, finished Tradition, Aesthetics, Rationalism, Freedom 6 policies and two Commerce. Won World's Fair, but lost IG.

Reached Plastics by T220 and Internet by T239, Radar by T249.

Gifted Troyes to Persia and bulbed 3 GM (2 generated and 1 faith purchase) to get culture victory on T259.

Attachments

• France_DCL37_CV1.jpg
    France_DCL37_CV1.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 433
  • France_DCL37_CV2.jpg
    France_DCL37_CV2.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 461
  • France_DCL37_CV3.jpg
    France_DCL37_CV3.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 397
T126

Looking back, I realised I never finished this game, but sadly have lost the save file, so had to restart from the beginning.

Wanted to do Peaceful culture, but a simultaneous 4-way backstab just because I took 2 of Salesman's cities after HE attacked me turned this into a likely Domination sweep. If I make peace with those traitors, it's not likely I can ever get to having Open Borders, and I really don't want to get embroiled in a long drawn out CV or SV. I remember a similar game with the Celts where I won only on account of going first. So I'll just teach them all a lesson and wipe them out.

T160 Update

I have 4/7 capitals. Cannons rule, esp. when protected by Musketeers. The AI should never have messed with me. I'll have Dynamite soon then it will be easy peasy. I'm gonna make things a bit more interesting and go for total domination. I'm aiming for sub-T200.

T192 Update

I am NOT gonna finish this any time soon. Monty's lands are well-defended with terrain features and he has ICS-ed up the wazoo. So after taking out Pocatello and Darius (a few turns away) I am instead going to go mano e mano for a CV. Shouldn't take THAT long with Futurism to get the old Aztec to slip on a pair of jeans.

T271 DiploV
More of a "get me out of here" victory than anything else. My game started to get buggy (kept freezing up) so I decided to just take the DV as soon as it was available. This was actually quite a nice map and I wouldn't mind trying this one from the start again.

Spoiler :
I originally tried for a CV, but I missed out on the key wonders and decided to see if I could sneak in a late CV while hoping Monty would wipe out Darius, the culture runaway. (which was rather successful) Indonesia and the Aztecs had so much influence over me at ideologies that I was forced to pick Autocracy, but the benefit was that Gajah defended my territory for me. The game started to freeze up repeatedly at around T250 for some reason so I decided to take the easy way out instead of trying to trudge to a late SV.

Attachments

• 8930_screenshots_2015-09-27_00002.jpg
    8930_screenshots_2015-09-27_00002.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 145
Per Beetle's request, peaceful Cultural Victory, did it OOC as well and recorded the game, will link to YouTube playlist once uploaded. Screenshot from victory turn:

Spoiler :

3 cities Tradition - Aesthetic - Rationalism - Freedom
Acquired a fourth city (Machu Pichu) via war later in the game.
Took long time, as it was difficult to obtain any cultural wonder but Louvre.

Here is a final screen shot:

Spoiler :

20160713003922_1.jpg

Top Bottom