The Deity Challenge Line-up #38 - Alexander the Great

t280 DomV

Very nice! Make me feel I should really try for dom on this map.

I wonder if it make sense to start tradition just for the 3 cpt when pursuing Honor.

Not for the 3 cpt -- it never makes up for it. An argument can be made for the border growth or snagging Hanging Gardens.

Than conquered allied CS Wellington.

Why kill a CS? Why not just work around them?

One tip I learned from peddroelm which saves a lot of GPT is selling the buildings you don't need anymore when target tech is reached. In my Cold Cramped Challenge game I sold all science buildings and growth buildings once I hit Combustion.

I do not usually conquest CS, but in this case:
- I had only 2 expos and considered a good position for my 3rd expo
- It was bordering my next AI victim. I had a few GG to prepare my first attack. In fact, I took that first AI City in one turn right after DoW from that position.

I'm a too weak Domination player. I would never feel confident enough to sell all the sience and growth buildings, till the very last turn. What I find hardest is to predict the outcome of the my next war before starting...
Though the selling is a very good tip. I should also remind me to sell buildings in cities I am razing (no brainer). In fact gold was quite a problem in the final fase of my domination. I was running at minus 150 got in the end.

Confidence comes when your units have the edge, and are easily chewing up AI units with at least a 10:1 ratio, I feel. Super-promoted crack troops make me very confident indeed :)

Well I gave this a shot.

Had a brilliant start
-first ruin upgraded my warrior to a hoplite lol
- 2 free population
- 2 culture ruins
- 1 faith ruin for desert folklore

With that I decided to continue my usual trend of a bit of roleplaying using less common strategies. I pumped out a few hoplites early and terrorized
Spoiler :
germany
for a while. Although this has obviously had disadvantages as you can see my empire is quite behind for turn 120 but with unlimited happiness and extra food from maritime citystates things should catch up pretty quickly I hope.

Spoiler :
The Huns killed the Celts, Rome sacked Russia's capital few times
. But between that and a few other shenanigans I've maneuvered every civ into war with their neighbors. Everyone is pretty much at war or about to go to war with
Spoiler :
the Huns
so their Empire is overextended and should be pretty easy to weaken.

At this point I'm building a crack army ready to knock the AIs down. Just getting Heroic Epic up in the capital and then ready to start churning out companion cav. It's a bit late for them I know unfortunately I had to divert to prioritise infrastructure so Hanging Gardens and National College needed to fit in. But since most civs have gone liberty that is an advantage as you can sneak in and break their trade routes up negating their happiness.

At this stage I'm not sure about pursuing a full domination but we'll see. I'm amazed at just how effective Greece is at holding CityState allies - I totally underrated them.
And I don't know what to do with all this happiness. For once I wish I had Fine Arts lol that would give me a 50% culture boost.

Social Policies are
-the left side of Honor
-full tradition

Wonders are
-Hanging Gardens
-Oracle
-Statue of Zeus
-Colossus is 1 turn out from the coastal city

Spoiler :

Oh and their is one more advantage to sending Hoplites out in every direction on this map. The value that CS quests have with Greece is incredible. You're only able to get barb camp quests in usually the first 30-80 turns so missing that window is a big loss for Greece if just focus internally.

I wish I figured this out earlier in my play:

... ready to start churning out companion cav. It's a bit late for them I know

Get all that you can! They keep the Great Generals II buff when upgraded -- and it is quite noticeable.

@Redaxe
Completely agree with you. In my game too, pursuing CS quests was so important. I spent a lot of effort in the first 80 turns just to get as many CS allies as possible.
It should be a basic strategy with Greece.

From which turn you can get a faith ruin?

Turn 30, I think.

T20 onwards.

From which turn you can get a faith ruin?

It is turn 20. And this is actually a great map for ruins. You've got a huge landmass below to yourself that the AI isn't able to explore early so faith ruins are quite possible here.
Spoiler :
Of course I didn't realise there was a religious CS just to the West - that was the one area I hadn't explored early lol so I could have got the 8 faith there and that with a quick shrine would have got me a pantheon anyway

Well Turn 242 domination.
I must say that's my fastest high level domination ever. And honestly with nearly every citystate on the map as an ally it's so much smoother experience. By the end the CS are doing most of the work for you.
Yep Greece UA + Patronage opener + Religious = 0 influence lost per turn on CSs

I played every civ against each other as much as possible and didn't over commit against any civ in the early game except for harassing Germany to farm experience. You can see this too from the final screenshot its turn 242 and im the only civ with artillery - most are still using cannons and musketmen! I don't think 1 research agreement was signed in the entire game lol.

Beetle you might be interested to hear that for religion I took the Enhancer belief Religious Unity - double pressure to CSs. Normally it's not something you'd pick if you can get religious texts but in this case with several CSs surrounding your capital and expo's I wanted to see just how well it would stack up to other enhancers. I must say the extra pressure is noticeable on CSs immediately and really starts converting CS citizens fast.

It wasn't long before the CSs near my capital was outputting more religious pressure than Athens the Holy City! Anyway I just thought I'd mention that seeing you are always interested in Civ 5 religion.

For military I invested mostly in hoplites and companion cav than supported them with crosswbows and cannons as time went on. Tech'd to artillery rush to finish up. Hoplites were great early and if you rush to metallurgy and quickly upgrade to Lancers those 150 exp promoted units are deadly. Admittedly most players say its a dead-end unit and I mostly agree that once other civs catch up with Great War Infantry they don't really become useful again until helicopters. That said if you have a hoplite with shock 3, march, then promote to lancers charge is a very powerful promotion so they can actually stand against Great War Infantry.

Companion Cav were crazy - the extra movement and better strength gives you the means to pretty much pillage and hamstring another civ even when they have knights and pikemen. I didn't really get that much use from extra Great Generals as I had heaps already especially going down the left side of Honor.
But basically conquest was basically using cavalry units to clear the field for ranged units- companion cav, knights and lancers then cavalry to plunder every tile. Statue of Zeus is actually a pretty handy wonder. It does negate quite a bit of the penalty that cavalry units have against cities.
The other advantage with cavalry units is that once you are fighting multiple wars it is so much easier to move them around to support CSs that would otherwise be wiped out by the AI.

One interesting thing to note from the screenshot below. Maybe Acken can verify this. It seems like out of all the citystates I have allied attacking Rome Sofia the only Militaristic CS displays the boldest and most aggressive behavior - they already took 1 Roman City and even moving their units onto Rome. The other Mercentile, Religious, Cultureal and Maritime CSs are far more passive even though are sharing borders and most have barely done anything.
So it seems like militaristic CSs are much more aggressive about attacking players.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Beetle you might be interested to hear that for religion I took the Enhancer belief Religious Unity - double pressure to CSs. Normally it's not something you'd pick if you can get religious texts but in this case with several CSs surrounding your capital and expo's I wanted to see just how well it would stack up to other enhancers. I must say the extra pressure is noticeable on CSs immediately and really starts converting CS citizens fast.

It wasn't long before the CSs near my capital was outputting more religious pressure than Athens the Holy City! Anyway I just thought I'd mention that seeing you are always interested in Civ 5 religion.

I appreciated the shout out! I was disappointed not to be able to found. Did you go with Papal Primacy as well?

I could never get Papal Primacy to work because I can never spread wide enough so that past a certain point it keeps converting passively without me having to do anything.

I appreciated the shout out! I was disappointed not to be able to found. Did you go with Papal Primacy as well?

Nah went with Tithe as usual. I've gone Papal Primacy ages ago and I wasn't really that enthralled by it. For Greece once you convert CSs to your religion and take Patronage you're not losing any influence per turn so it's really a waste of a belief. As you complete new CS quests as they keep coming that influence just keeps stacking up.

Anyway I needed gold for military.

Spoiler :
If you play again it's not that hard to found - if you explore West early you'll find a religious CS. That's 8 free faith there so with an early shrine that might be enough to get a pantheon. Make sure you complete any quests they offer too.

Otherwise leave a couple ruins south of your capital until turn 20 - the AI shouldn't be able to get there in that short space of time so chances are you'll get a faith ruin

I could never get Papal Primacy to work because I can never spread wide enough so that past a certain point it keeps converting passively without me having to do anything.

I've gone Papal Primacy ages ago and I wasn't really that enthralled by it. For Greece once you convert CSs to your religion and take Patronage you're not losing any influence per turn so it's really a waste of a belief.

PP is tricky to make work, I don't think much of it actually. You need it online before CS start becoming allies, so that requires early aggressive converting. Also, it interferes with the easy CS conversion quests.

PP is tricky to make work, I don't think much of it actually. You need it online before CS start becoming allies, so that requires early aggressive converting. Also, it interferes with the easy CS conversion quests.

Yep and once you have something like 150 influence with Citystates which is degrading at -0.25 per turn who cares about an extra base 15 influence

maybe a H-C-A with Desert Folklore powered Holy Warriors can turn even me into a winner :)

there's a few nice maps to train warmongering but I'm so frustratingly bad, I always give up :(

…who cares about an extra base 15 influence

Well, if you get it early, that is like 250 gold per CS, so up to 4000 gold. Tithe takes all game to be worth that!

The other thing is that, if you are getting the most of the Greece UA, you will be abusing some CS. Alex CS relations not only degrades at half rate, but they recover to the resting point at 2x.

Top Bottom