The Deputy Debate

How should deputies/dept. head substitutions be run in DG5?

• Deputies are runners up in election

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Deputies appointed by boss

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Deputies appointed by leader

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • No deputies, President appoints substitute

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • No deputies, VP appoints substitute

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 5 17.9%

• Total voters

Epimethius

Wish I Hadn't Been Here
I figured, seeing as this is a democracy game, we should transfer the debate over this in the constitution thread to a poll, to finally decide. The sides, as I understand them, are:

-Deputies are runners up the elections for the position
-Deputies are appointed by the elected official
-No deputies at all. Substitutes appointed by President
-No deputies at all. Substitutes appointed by Vice President (how the Vice President is appoint, however, I don't know)

The deputy, of course, assists the official, and, more importantly, fills in for him when he is gone.

EDIT: Do to a misreading of the constitution, the "leader of a citizen" is in fact the head of a department, so those two poll categories are the same. Oops.

An election winner should get to choose his staff, and should not be forced to bring aboard an unsuccessful opponent whose views may be much different. Therefore, the runner-up as deputy solution is the wrong choice.

While I am leaning toward the idea of abolishing deputies altogether, I still would like to continue this discussion both here and in the Constitutuion thread. This poll will at least help to whitle away some of the unpopular options. :)

For now, I have voted for "deputies are appointed by the elected official."

I voted for "Deputies are runners up in election". I wish to see that the second place canidates be able to win a deputy possition. This process would encurage any new players that has lost in there election to partisipate in the elections.

Well, seeing as I support options 1 AND 3, I'm voting abstain.

Deputies *CAN* be appointed by a leader if there's no deputy, or a deputy resigns. That's how it used to work in addition to deputies being the runner up.

Might I point out that this is a somewhat confusing poll. In addition, the very nature of the poll skews the results towards one option.

How are "Appointed by Boss" and "Appointed by Leader" different?

A much better question would have been "Should deputies be the runner up in an election, or should they be appointed by some means?" with the options as 1. Runner up, 2. Appointed by some means, 3. Abstain.

This poll is attempted to answer multiple questions at the same time - bad design.

-- Ravensfire

I don't know what exactly was meant by "leader of a citizen," which was the term used in the constitution. Thoughout the discussion allusions were made to that leader in ways that led me to believe it was some sort of special citizen, not the winner of the election. By boss I meant the winner of the election, but shortened it. By leader I meant whatever the hell a leader of a citizen as perscribed in the constitution is.

And the design you proposed would have to lead to a whole lot of further polls in a series (should there be deputies? Should they be runners up, or appointed? Who should appoint them? If not, who should appoint a replacement for a vacant seat?). This covers all those, albeit with dificulty.

EDIT: Reread the part of the constitution in question, and in fact the term "highest ranking leader" (of a citizen was someone else) is the head of the department, which makes sense. So boss and leader are the same. My [stupid] mistake. :blush:

So essentially, this poll is now tied 6-6 with 2 voters abstaining. And I agree that there is really no difference between "leader" and "boss."

One thing that the polling makes clear is that deputies are here to stay.

If the goal is for new players to become deputies, I believe that deputies should be appointed. It is likely that new players would not want to run in an election (although perhaps they would be more likely to if they knew they could become the deputies if they came in second) since they don't want that much power from being the department head, but they might apply to become the deputy. Also, if two players run for an election, and one of them is a very bad choice for some reason, they would become a deputy when they probably shouldn't even have that position. Therefore, I chose either appointed by the leader or appointed by the boss (since they mean the same thing, I forgot which one).

i suggest we first have a poll whether we want deputies or not, that would be much fairer

Well, only 2 voted for no deputies...

Top Bottom