The Enlightenment Era

So I installed the mod and now whenever I start a new game (ancient era) my warrior is line infantry and I can't research techs, I can't click on the research tecnholgy button.
Please help, My heavily modded games needs to be even more heavily modded :p
Cheers.

Hello everyone, I have completely modified this modification to make it 100% working. You were missing a lot of Flavours and so on. But I changed some things, as considered necessary. For example, counted the cost of technologies after the enlightenment, gave up some wonders of the world and think about balance. The entire text translated into Russian language. If you want to see the result of my work, and maybe use some parts in the new version, I can share my work. Interested?

So I installed the mod and now whenever I start a new game (ancient era) my warrior is line infantry and I can't research techs, I can't click on the research tecnholgy button.
Please help, My heavily modded games needs to be even more heavily modded :p
Cheers.
Quoted from the description of one of my mods:
Note that while The Enlightenment Era mod, Ultimate Eras mod, and the Prehistoric Era Reborn mod are compatible to this mod, they are not compatible to each other.
Starting with a Line Infantry is, as I recall, one of the results of such an incompatibility between Enlightenment Era and an incompatible mod, especially when the incompatible mod also makes heavy changes to the tech tree and the game's defined eras.

The original Prehistoric Era mod would also be incompatible.

okay, thanks for the info but what I don't understand is I don't have any other mods that affect the techs.

Yes, because there can be only one mod that changes the technology tree.

Not quite true -- multiple mods can make changes to the technology tree, so long as they don't conflict with each other. For example, you can run Prehistoric Era Reborn, Enlightenment Era, and Future Worlds all together, although if it's not in the right order the tech tree will appear messed up visually.

I've run into the "starting with the wrong unit" error when working on Future Worlds and, for whatever reason, my Technologies.xml file crashes. It would appear that this means that the game doesn't recognize my units as having a tech requirement, and are thus available at the start of the game. I think the game is programmed to try and give you a starting default melee unit with the highest available combat strength, or something similar (possibly the highest unit ID? I've noticed if Future Worlds crashes, it gives out Biotroopers and not Robot Infantry).

The most likely issue, then, is that another mod has defined a tech that the Enlightenment Era mod also defines, and that causes the technologies xml file for EE to crash, or a similar conflict, resulting in any units it defines being available from the start. The Database log would probably be most helpful in identifying if the xml file was conflicting with something else.

Aaa I see. I know what the problem is. I have the community balance mod with isn't compatible with this mod. Am I correct? Damn.. Wish this would work.

I'm going to try this mod out with Civilization IV Diplomatic Features. Hopefully they're compatible, this looks awesome! First time I ever saw this, you guys have done an amazing job!

Update: not compatible with Vassalage :(

Not quite true -- multiple mods can make changes to the technology tree, so long as they don't conflict with each other. For example, you can run Prehistoric Era Reborn, Enlightenment Era, and Future Worlds all together, although if it's not in the right order the tech tree will appear messed up visually.

I've run into the "starting with the wrong unit" error when working on Future Worlds and, for whatever reason, my Technologies.xml file crashes. It would appear that this means that the game doesn't recognize my units as having a tech requirement, and are thus available at the start of the game. I think the game is programmed to try and give you a starting default melee unit with the highest available combat strength, or something similar (possibly the highest unit ID? I've noticed if Future Worlds crashes, it gives out Biotroopers and not Robot Infantry).

The most likely issue, then, is that another mod has defined a tech that the Enlightenment Era mod also defines, and that causes the technologies xml file for EE to crash, or a similar conflict, resulting in any units it defines being available from the start. The Database log would probably be most helpful in identifying if the xml file was conflicting with something else.
The real issue between Prehistoric Era, Prehistoric Era Reborn, Ultimate Eras, and Enlightenment Era is that they all delete the contents of the Eras table, and then rebuild it in their own image. So if Enlightenment Era loads before any one of the others, the ERA_ENLIGHTENMENT gets wiped clean from the Eras table when any one of the other mods loads. Vice Virtuoso, when one of the others loads before Enlightenment Era, then Enlightenment Era kills off ERA_PREHISTORIC from the Eras table. Future Worlds does not kill-and-rebuild the Eras table, so it works with any one of the others so long as the other loads before Future Worlds.

Mods that add new techs or tech-columns to the game without changing the game's Eras may or may not conflict with any of Prehistoric Era, Prehistoric Era Reborn, Ultimate Eras, Enlightenment Era, and Future Worlds, depending on exactly what they do to the tech tree and in which locations within the tech tree.
Aaa I see. I know what the problem is. I have the community balance mod with isn't compatible with this mod. Am I correct? Damn.. Wish this would work.
I believe Pouakai was going to look into it, but at the moment I believe it is not compatible.

Vice Virtuoso

Was that your autocorrect...

Thanks for clearing that up - why do they clean the Eras table? Can't they just change their ID manually?

Was that your autocorrect...

Thanks for clearing that up - why do they clean the Eras table? Can't they just change their ID manually?
Yes, that would have been my autofill thingie :lol:

It's just sometimes a bit of a PITA to preserve previous contents added by another mod to the game's database while adding new contents within one's own mod. This is especially true for the Eras table because the game has some 'hardcoding' to expect the reference to TXT_KEY era-names to be of a specific format which includes the Era's ID#, for the ID#s of the Eras to be in ascending order as a player will progress through the game eras, etc. See Adding An Era. It is possible to do all this magic in SQL, as William Howard shows here but so far even with the help from that thread none of the 'new era mods' have incorporated that into their code.

The real issue between Prehistoric Era, Prehistoric Era Reborn, Ultimate Eras, and Enlightenment Era is that they all delete the contents of the Eras table, and then rebuild it in their own image. So if Enlightenment Era loads before any one of the others, the ERA_ENLIGHTENMENT gets wiped clean from the Eras table when any one of the other mods loads. Vice Virtuoso, when one of the others loads before Enlightenment Era, then Enlightenment Era kills off ERA_PREHISTORIC from the Eras table. Future Worlds does not kill-and-rebuild the Eras table, so it works with any one of the others so long as the other loads before Future Worlds.

In my defense, the post I was replying to was arguing that multiple mods couldn't change the tech tree, which they can. :p But you definitely have a point about the Eras table, which is one of the reasons I held off on defining any new eras in Future Worlds. At some point I plan to try and use whoward69's tutorial to try and add some dynamically, however -- his code to help me place my futuristic techs at the end of the tree dynamically has been incredibly useful.

Still, I do wonder if that may be the source of the conflict, as opposed to the tech tree itself -- I wouldn't be surprised if wiping out the corresponding era causes the units to end up available from the start to the tree (possibly by wiping out the corresponding techs), resulting in the game spawning the unit at the start of the game.

I should probably link to this thread from the Tutorial, as that thread contains modded versions of Enlightenment Era, Future Worlds and Prehistoric Era that all work together

Still, I do wonder if that may be the source of the conflict, as opposed to the tech tree itself -- I wouldn't be surprised if wiping out the corresponding era causes the units to end up available from the start to the tree (possibly by wiping out the corresponding techs), resulting in the game spawning the unit at the start of the game.
This seems to be the issue. With Prehistoric Era Reborn being loaded after Enlightenment Era, the Era for the technologies that belong to Enlightenment Era is invalid, and the techs are being given at game-start, which means that the Line Infantry's is available at the start of the game:
Spoiler :
But there is also additional crazy-hash in the tech tree as revealed from within IGE:
Spoiler :
Note there is some crazy failing of the Era Names and from my Era Buildings mod which is also being corrupted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The game looks for the highest combat-power unit that the player can have at the start of the game and gives this as the starting unit. When there are ties for the highest combat-power unit (such as between the Warrior and the Pathfinder) I am not sure whether it solves by the unit's <Cost> (which is higher for the Pathfinder than the Warrior) or whether it uses a unique from the tied units if one of the player's uniques qualifies. I get a Line Infantry because with this mod-clash, Line Infantry is the most powerful unit available to me at the start of the game:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• IGE-1.jpg
    IGE-1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 980
  • IGE-2.jpg
    IGE-2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 979
  • IGE-3.jpg
    IGE-3.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,024
I think I'm going to create a compatibility patch for this mod and C4DF, this should be a simple change (have to specify Vassalage as starting in the Medieval Era).

Edit: Here it is.

I think I'm going to create a compatibility patch for this mod and C4DF, this should be a simple change (have to specify Vassalage as starting in the Medieval Era).

Edit: Here it is.

Thank you! I have ambitions to host a PBEM with these very mods, and would not have suspected a compatibility issue.

"Most moddable civ" #$%$& @#*% $&!.

Thank you! I have ambitions to host a PBEM with these very mods, and would not have suspected a compatibility issue.

"Most moddable civ" #$%$& @#*% $&!.

It seems like this mod does a straight removal of every era.

If mods loaded in this order:

1) Civ IV Diplomatic Features
2) Enlightenment Era

Then the Eras table is removed and thus the change to Vassalage does not register anymore. If its the other way around, we're fine.

Now, I explicitly force the order to be:

1) Civ IV Diplo + Enlightenment
2) Compatibility Patch

And thus everything works. :)

I've been having issues with Historic Speed, and I've heard of that mod having issues with EE.

I've used both Longer Eras: Historic, as well as Extended Eras - both of them caused a CTD when hitting "Start Game". The game didn't make it to the loading screen. The issue occurs only when I have Historic Speed enabled - is there some sort of compatibility issue between Enlightenment Era and Historic Speed?

EDIT: Just confirmed, EE has issues with Historic.

EDIT#2: Something weird is going on here, let me check.

EDIT #3: Turns out I had Future Worlds enabled - any way to make these two compatible?

I've been having issues with Historic Speed, and I've heard of that mod having issues with EE.

I've used both Longer Eras: Historic, as well as Extended Eras - both of them caused a CTD when hitting "Start Game". The game didn't make it to the loading screen. The issue occurs only when I have Historic Speed enabled - is there some sort of compatibility issue between Enlightenment Era and Historic Speed?

EDIT: Just confirmed, EE has issues with Historic.

EDIT#2: Something weird is going on here, let me check.

EDIT #3: Turns out I had Future Worlds enabled - any way to make these two compatible?

See The bottom portion of Post #380, starting at the line which begins "As a hotfix..."

The modinfo file mentioned will be in ~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Future Worlds (v 2)

See The bottom portion of Post #380, starting at the line which begins "As a hotfix..."

The modinfo file mentioned will be in ~\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Future Worlds (v 2)

Thanks! Something odd happened, though. Future Worlds (V3) already had this fix in it.

<References>
<Mod id="ce8aa614-7ef7-4a45-a179-5329869e8d6d" minversion="0" maxversion="999" title="Enlightenment Era" />
</References>

Top Bottom