1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Euro is here

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TheDuckOfFlanders, Jan 1, 2002.

1. Immortal Wombat

Immortal Wombat Prince and Prophet

You are so anti-Chinese :shocked: ;)

2. Damien

Damien Emperor

Swiss system is a mix of direct democracy n indirect democracy actually.

Since 1891,people can launch referendums by collecting 100,000 signatures among the swiss people.Since 1874,no change to the constitution can be made without the people by referendum.

10 to 15 national referendums take place every year in Switzerland.

Each one of the 20 cantons n 6 half-cantons can decide to apply or not a decision taken at the scale of the Confederacy.(by launching a referendum).

Each canton n half-canton has its own constitution,government,parliament,police n leads its educational system,finance etc.

However,every cantonal constitution n laws must respect the foundments of the federal constitution.

More n more cantonal referendums are launched(by the people) n are about laws,the cantonal finance etc.

So,direct democracy is much more present than representation.

Wouldn't that model be ideal for european regions?

3. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

I don't get the reference. :confused:

4. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

1/2 liters of coke cost 1.4 Euros?
    It costs me around $1.00 for a 2 liter of Coke in Pennsylvania if I get it on sale. Also, if I got into a "convience" store it costs about $1.39 for a 20 ounce coke.

5. damunzy

damunzy recovering former mod Retired Moderator

Elvish is not even a language, and Klingon is too silly to think of. Esparanto is a real language that is a merger of many others, including English, French, German, and Spanish. Not sure if there are more languages in there, maybe some Chinese to round it out. :)
    a site that allows you to convert words into esparanto:
    http://www.germanien.net/w.eichelberg/Stade-07.htm

and a site that talks about a "better" language than Esparanto, Dutton Speedwords:
    http://www.thenewcongress.com/preface.html

6. Juize

Juize Deity

Have you ever been visited Funland? Wanna tip if you do?
    Get everything except water to here if you wanna save your money.
    We have these funny mega-taxes here...

7. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

Actually, it is. It might even have as many people able to speak it as Esparanto. You can find more info about it here. ;)

8. Pedro

Pedro I'll improvise...

The euro is gaining on the dollar since Europe is actually using the currency. The feelings of faith, enthusiasm and unity support the euro a lot.

31 december: 1 € = 0,8850 dollar
    2 january: 1 € = 0,9035 dollar

Some analysts predict that the euro will be worth 1,10 dollar in due course..

9. TheDuckOfFlanders

TheDuckOfFlanders the fish collecter

That was expected.Eventually the Euro was indeed a lot less worth when it was first introduced because it was not yet implemented in "paper and coin's" money , (don't know the english word ,in ductch we say "regaal" money) only in Bank account money.As thus a part of the currency was not running through the european economy's.Also only now the real effect of not having to exchange money come's into effect and add's to the economy.and this changing rate give's idea's to investers.
    this impulses all came into effect on januari 1 2002.And since then the Euro it's constantly rising.

I think a smart American now invests in Euro's. ;)

10. Ren

Ren Communist Nazi

:lol: lol at Sixchan's location :D

11. Drekken

Drekken l33t Civer

Pretty clever, if lots of Americans (or at least anyone outside the EU) do this then the value of the Euro will rise since currency is like a commodity. Actually, I was thinking of buying some US dollars with my savings since the Canadian dollar is probably only going to get more devalued. Maybe I'll take your advice and jump onto the Euro ship.

12. Knowltok 2

Knowltok 2 Guest

Take this from a finance Bachelor's with an MBA:

Investing in currency is extremely risky if you don't know exactly what you are doing. The payoff can be extreme, but the downside can swamp you. My advice is to not even consider it.

13. Juize

Juize Deity

Actually, now when thinken, I have no reason to complain.
    After all, I bought 180 $ on January, 1999. :D

14. Hamlet

Hamlet Manic Depressive

Didn't I effectively say this?

A more democratic, federal system, yes. However I would be wary about the direct democracy aspect, though.

15. Damien

Damien Emperor

Y?

16. Hamlet

Hamlet Manic Depressive

Like I stated before, I feel that people are generally very ignorant of political issues and I would be wary as to giving them a referndum on nigh on everything. Hanging would be reintroduced in this country if such a system was in operation, fs.

17. Damien

Damien Emperor

Problems must be explained to people;points of views exposed to em so that they can develop a critic spirit.people rnt dumb...they can ponder anything if the whole problem is developed n all the informations r given.(not like in the french news where nothing is explained n only the information needed for the propaganda is given).THat's how democratic life should run in all countries.

18. Matrix

Matrix CFC Dinosaur Retired Moderator

I think the euro is one of the best historical things that has happened over the last decades. All small countries are now able to choose between the dollar and the euro if they want save cash. And some countries are very happy about that because they can get rid of the Satanic money. :D :p

(No, that's not a good arguement. I'm just saying it to tease the Americans.)

19. atawa

atawa Mastered by puppets

So we've created the next terrorists currency of choice have we?

Shame its such ugly money :(

20. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity