The Falklands War (TFW)

A.T.S said:
I think the argentian navy is too powerfull, the "Comodoro Somellera", "Sobral", "Rio Iguazú" and "Islas Malvinas" were light armed vessels (coast guard ships with some MG´s) you can´t compare them with an Exocet and 100m guns armed vessel of the Aviso Class.
The Illustrious come too late to participate in the war.
The Hermes was larger than the Invincible soo he could transport more planes (in the game the invincible can transport 4 planes, the Hermes only 3)
There are graphics from an assault ship, you can use them for the Fearless and the Intrepid there are also graphics from a cruise ship, you can use it for the Canberra and/or Norland or other civilian ships.
You can turn off the capability to rebase some argentinians jets, the runway on Stanley was to short for them.
The argentinians deploy some Panhard´s and 10 other infantry fighting vehicles, but don´t used them, the LVTP7 were brought back after the invasion.
The british army had 105mm Howitzers with a range of 17 Km, the argentinians Otto Melara guns with a range of 10,2 Km. Only the argentinian CITEFA 155mm gun had more range (22 Km) as the British Howitzers, but only two of these guns were deployed.
I think the scenario is too easy for the argentinian player.

Un "bostero" en la red, no, no puede ser

Un "bostero" en la red, no, no puede ser = ???

Argentinian navy : sure I know but I did that for gameplay reasons and a little more balance. Of course historical realism suffers a bit from it. I guess I can release a separate purely historical version but what value can I give them. Are they worth representing ?

Illustrious : re-balance issue. Besides it gives the human player a chance to organize his fleet how he wants it. Replaying rather than mere re-enactement.

Hermes : ah, OK. So up to 4 and down to three for the two others ?

Assault ship : will see but that would be for a latter version (because of new gfx). I will focus first on stats, balance,... Cruise ships : I know them but I think graphically they would look a bit out of place. Besides I don't think the AI would use cruise ships for transport then make troops board the assault ships to ferrry them (I tried with cruise ships spending a lot of MP on coast but the AI did not use these ships differently from one another).

Jets : which ones did you have in mind ? That would also force me to change their range to cover the Falklands.

Armored vehicales : as they were deployed I don't see why the player (either human or AI) could not use them rather than bringing them back to Argentina.

Howitzers : you mean British ones should have a range of 3 and Argentinians mostly a range of 2 only ? Or respectively 2 and 1 ?

Easiness : if you play Argentinia it sure is VERY easy, that's why I advised to play the English side. The AI is not extremely good with managing a large task force but not much I can do about it. On the other hand, nice challenge if you play as the English.

Well, yes I think you can give the British Howitzers a range of 3 and for the argentinians Howitzers a range of 2 (2 and 1 were correct, but is not good for the gameplay), you can also give the Hermes and Invincible more transport capacity (5 and 6?) and erase the Illustrious, I don´t know why, but I hate the Illustious. For the argentinian Jets you can give them some more range, so they can reach the Falklands from the "continent", (as british player I destroy all the argentinian air force on ground, as argentinian player I destroy the entire Royal Fleet and I also could bombard Ascencion with my Navy). What about some King units? Hermes, Invincible for the british; General Menedez and General Piaggi (comandant of Darwin) for the argentinians.
Give the Cruise ship some defense and the AI will use them.
I don´t want nerve you, I still think it´s a very good scenario

LouLong said:
3) Not so easy to do but I will try.
:confused: Errr... dont understand the difficulty.. just adding up land... but for you to say that I am sure there is a good reason...

Maybe Ascencion didn't have to be so far up in order to help visualize the units. Just two tiles South would be enough. If it did make a difference for the travel time, maybe placing it also 2 tiles East.

I think you'll need to split the Single Player files from the MPP file. In the Argentinian SP file I'd suggest to put the British already on the boats and half-way through the crossing - this way the AI wouldn't have to load the units (which he is lousy at) and it would give the human player less time to prepare the defenses.

I just hope that in this case some of loaded transports won't go back to Ascension... but with the AI you never know...

Luthor_Saxburg said:
:confused: Errr... dont understand the difficulty.. just adding up land... but for you to say that I am sure there is a good reason...

Maybe Ascencion didn't have to be so far up in order to help visualize the units. Just two tiles South would be enough. If it did make a difference for the travel time, maybe placing it also 2 tiles East.

I think you'll need to split the Single Player files from the MPP file. In the Argentinian SP file I'd suggest to put the British already on the boats and half-way through the crossing - this way the AI wouldn't have to load the units (which he is lousy at) and it would give the human player less time to prepare the defenses.

I just hope that in this case some of loaded transports won't go back to Ascension... but with the AI you never know...

If you just want me to make the island slightly larger, no big deal. But if that means putting spreading the troops that are now gathered only in Ascencion, it will be a pain (albeit possible). I thought you meant adding some land (or sea) north. And that I cannot do as it would move all units south by the same number of tiles I would add in the North. Well, still possible but very long and tedious, especially with all the names the units have been given (lazy Loulong !).

Unfortunately it is not possible to put units on board ships in the editor, hence the need to "create" Ascencion. I would definitely prefer to put the units in their proper transports (that would prevent some strange things like planes on board DD) but I just can't.

A.T.S said:
Well, yes I think you can give the British Howitzers a range of 3 and for the argentinians Howitzers a range of 2 (2 and 1 were correct, but is not good for the gameplay), you can also give the Hermes and Invincible more transport capacity (5 and 6?) and erase the Illustrious, I don´t know why, but I hate the Illustious. For the argentinian Jets you can give them some more range, so they can reach the Falklands from the "continent", (as british player I destroy all the argentinian air force on ground, as argentinian player I destroy the entire Royal Fleet and I also could bombard Ascencion with my Navy). What about some King units? Hermes, Invincible for the british; General Menedez and General Piaggi (comandant of Darwin) for the argentinians.
Give the Cruise ship some defense and the AI will use them.
I don´t want nerve you, I still think it´s a very good scenario

Howitzers : definitely possible.

Hermes and Invincible : no, that would be too much.

Illustrious : destroy it in your biq if you hate it so much but others might not have the same extreme feelings and could want to use it as it could have been used in the war ;)

King units : impossible to do as the AI would just keep them into towns (which means Ascencion for the British so they bascially could not get killed).

Cruise ship : yes but still not sure the AI (actually quite sure it would not)would transfer troops from one type to another on sea (so basically it means they lose their meaning).

You are welcome. Comments and critics can only improve the scenario on the long-term but there are things I just cannot do as the editor or the AI are limited.

LouLong said:
If you just want me to make the island slightly larger, no big deal. But if that means putting spreading the troops that are now gathered only in Ascencion, it will be a pain (albeit possible).
I see. It looks like a tedious and long work... don't do it! I don't think it's worth it. I would recommend just adding a few tiles of land South (with RR) to help organize things.

LouLong said:
Unfortunately it is not possible to put units on board ships in the editor
That is a pity, it would make a difference.

Luthor_Saxburg said:
I see. It looks like a tedious and long work... don't do it! I don't think it's worth it. I would recommend just adding a few tiles of land South (with RR) to help organize things.

That is a pity, it would make a difference.

1. Add some terrain around, sure, no hassle. I will do it for the next version.

2. Yep, it would make a terrific difference but that's how it is, nothing I can do about it...

Haven't looked at the issues being discussed above in depth but...
the real play/action is around the Falkland Islands. The only thing about Acension is that Vulcan bombers be able to bomb the Falklands.

SUlly

Done. V 1.2 uploaded. Not many drastic changes (such as artillery range or new graphics) but more simple things that were a tad bug-like.

- Vulcains can now reach (and bombard) the Falklands
- More land around Ascension (English base) to help organize troops at start-up.
- Both governments are now denied the rushing ability
- Better finances for the British.
- troop placement enables Argentinia to capture all Falkland cities within one turn.

LouLong said:
- Better finances for the British.
Don't understand the need as there is SO much money around... I'm not against, only curious of why the change.

One more suggestion:
=> Place some one tile islands in the sea as well as some resources (whales, fish, etc).

Why? Well it looks prettier... but that is not why. Is just because it's a BIG sea and there is no reference in it. There are areas that (even with 'zoom out') you can only see water... it would help to set references.

Example:
- If I'm playing an PBEM and my sub gets sunk I know there is enemy there somewhere... but only very vaguely 'cause the sea is big and it's hard to remember where I left it.
If I would have left my sub near a tile island with gold on it, I would remember the exact area (or a more specific area).

The money is here to allow some spying.

American intel for instance provided the Brits with some useful infos such as ships' location. Of course as said in the PBEM thread, this might hamper the fun of the cat and mouse play. However, the Brits have enough money to try that only twice.

About islands or resources, I agree. It is difficult sometimes to even find your units in so large an area of ocean. Will add a few things as "landmarks".

Loulong, Some of the ships that participated are not part of the scenario. Would like to see that changed when you can. Otherwise I think the scenario is very well done.

Sully

LouLong said:
American intel for instance provided the Brits with some useful infos such as ships' location. Of course as said in the PBEM thread, this might hamper the fun of the cat and mouse play.
In order to keep the historical accuracy of American intel but also to keep part of the fun of the 'cat&mouse' game I'd propose something different from the actual scheme:
- Remove the spying (steal plans) ability from the game;
- Create a “air” unit called “American Intel” which could only do “Recon” but with a very big range (999 if possible).

Then give a few units to the British and maybe only one to Argentina (calling it something else). This way the British could do some intel but still be able to be suprised by the Argentinians.

The problem about spying (steal plans) is that – if sucessfull – you see EVERYTHING. And I don’t think it’s positive for the game. Some INTEL is good (and realistic) but being able to get ALL the enemy information takes some of the fun away. And getting very detailed info about every enemy ship that you know is 100% secure is not realistic!

After playing a few times I'd like to give some feedback on the more purely militar aspects. I'd like to point out that I know very little of the details of that particular war, so my comments are more based on gameplay balance.

- Radar Towers gives an extra +25% advantage to the defending nation (Argentina) and England can not build them until they have secured one city. I'm wondering if the ability to build them shouldn't be removed.

- England starts with 10 planes. Argentina starts with 26 planes. I'd expect England to have air superiority (quantity and quality) over Argentina. In order to increase the number of British planes, you should increase the CV capacity or give more CV's to England (which is also more VP's to Argentina if sunk).

- Argentina has a lot of dangerous Exocets, which is correct (and fun). But either they should have less OR England should also have some sort of missiles.

EDIT: The biq file is called 'FalklandsArgentinia'. I guess it should be called 'FalklandsArgentina'.

Whit All Respect The Flakland Islan Are Argetinians.they Are Take For The Brute Force(no For Right) For Great Bretan In 1833.say What Britain Liberated The Isles Is The Same Wat Say What Adolf Hitler,for Right Liberate Norway.
The Violence Dont Make Right.
Sorry In Case Of Offense But It Is The Truht.

C.pablo : this is a scenario thread, not a political one.

I mean I don't want to offend you about your opinions or anything but this scenario merely aims at allowing a certain replaying of the war, not to judge who should be the owner of the Islands.

So commenting on or criticizing the scenario in the way it describes the events, the warfare, the balance or unbalance, etc... are perfectly welcome but your post here is totally useless for that as it just states a political opinion. I haven't (I think) given any opinion on the political part of the war, just tried to state the historical situation and to give an accurate historical background.

So you don't offend me at all. I haven't created this scenario to convince people that the islands should belong to either country. That topic should be in the history forum or in the OT one.

Sorry if this scenario hurts your sensibility but it is just that, a scenario (and I am no British by the way !).

Well said Loulong! It always surprises me when I see comments like the one above...after all this is a scenario thread..not a political one. And certainly your introduction spells things out very well!
On another topic...its a shame that the limitations of the C3C limits an otherwise very fine adaptation!! Not being able to destroy airfields is a very big deal.

The other thing I wanted to say is that Luthor absolutely kicked my butt with him playing the British! He was very patient in his approach and I think his use of spying proved very beneficial and certainly hurts Argentina. Though they did receive some intel from the Russians. But not to the extent the Brits got from the US.

Sully

Now that I am releasing the new version of Reconquista I can spend some time reworking on this one so if you have comments or request, please do, especially as you have had some direct experience of it.

I will indeed add the "intel" units and prevent plans stealing that's for sure. For the rest, nothing is for sure yet.

Top Bottom