• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The first patch is out

For that purpose i have several partitions, win2k, winXP prof, Vista32bit and now Vista64bit as well, each on a different partition of course(different drives actually)

Does BtS work well in 64 bit vista when it consumes more than 3GB memory btw? (I never tested it. so am curious :p )

Does BtS work well in 64 bit vista when it consumes more than 3GB memory btw? (I never tested it. so am curious :p )

Running it now, same map under Vista 64Bit seems to consume even less memory(900MB for a huge map with 23civs still alive)..guess you'll never hit the 3GB (maybe with a 512x512map and 50civs) dunno, but considering im pretty much in the game, savegame almost 4MB, i suppose it needs a GIGANTIC game to reach the 3gigs barrier..

but at least vista64bit tells me i have 4gigs of ram instead of 3.4gigs under vista32bit.

I have 2GB RAM, vista 64bit.......the OS only takes 550MB ish (ahem....only?) but that still leaves me a lot of room. My ram never went up to 1.5 GB doing anything. It runs very smoothly, though my CPU isn't the best.

I have 2GB RAM, vista 64bit.......the OS only takes 550MB ish (ahem....only?) but that still leaves me a lot of room. My ram never went up to 1.5 GB doing anything. It runs very smoothly, though my CPU isn't the best.

Yeah, i'd say as well, 64bit system uses less memory as well as it needs less memory to run civ...

somehow, 64bit windows handles memory more efficiently, so it seems..could be my imagination though

Never had a MAF in Civ or Warlords. The current machine runs XP w/2GB RAM. 24 man games run pretty smooth. Kinda interested in seeing how it'll handle a 34 man game in BtS...

It's not out here, and Firaxis is 20 miles away. Somehow, it made it halfway around the world, though! :)

Sam

Sorry for butting in, but doronron, how do you play 24 and 34 civ games? I can only play upto 18..

I like to play with a lot of civs occasionally, but for me this means 10 or 12... :crazyeye:

are you saying it takes 30 seconds when you hit next turn?? Even for those map settings, that's not good at all, in fact that's the opposite of good - that's just horrible. I've never had to wait anywhere close to 30 seconds for the turn timer to finish, in any civ game, at any time, on any computer.

Please tell me I am misreading this post...
30 Secounds isn't bad my laptop takes 15-20 mins in between turns.

Sorry for butting in, but doronron, how do you play 24 and 34 civ games? I can only play upto 18..

well i tried a recompiled 50civs once with the visa modpack, but...hmmm...well, with the 2Gigs memory limit(minus 512MB graphical card, for whatever reason that is) makes the remaining 1,5gigs full(=MAF) pretty early in the game..
now with the firaxian MAF Fix and the 3Gb switch for 32bit systems mentioned in the forums here at civfanatics, or the Gyathaar solution(64bit windows) which im running now, i might go again and try the 50civs under Visa Modpack LOL

and yes, you recompile the dll,
CvDefines.h

with the lines
#ifdef _USRDLL
#define MAX_CIV_PLAYERS (18)

you just change the 18 in whatever you want, hmmm..no thats wrong, in whatever either your Computer(memory based) and your Patience(CPU power dependend) can handle! :)

I tried to download the patches for Vanilla and Warlords before getting BtS (which is not due where I live until the 25th). It turned out to be a bad idea. I had to reinstall both Vanilla and Warlords and fetch the older patches by hand because otherwise the games wouldn't play. (When I ran "Search for updates", Warlords went for the newest patch and promptly became unplayable again, along with vanilla.) Perhaps the rest of you realized this without trying, but I post this just in case.

Öjevind Lång;5709533 said:
I tried to download the patches for Vanilla and Warlords before getting BtS (which is not due where I live until the 25th). It turned out to be a bad idea. I had to reinstall both Vanilla and Warlords and fetch the older patches by hand because otherwise the games wouldn't play. (When I ran "Search for updates", Warlords went for the newest patch and promptly became unplayable again, along with vanilla.) Perhaps the rest of you realized this without trying, but I post this just in case.
You just need to update directx9.0c to the latest version.
(BtS comes with the latest directx9c on the disc, and will update it for you)

im loading BTS now and theres a patch!!!!

I think I know now why the blokes Down Under got the game first... can you say "Beta Continent"??? :)

ROFL... too hard for americans to accept to be second in something eh... ? Well I guess you can find all sort of funny explanations while we're off playing and patching :p

why would you have show friendly moves enabled?

It's the default in BtS and most people don't really look into options until when told to ;)

Its pretty clear why the patches come out so quickly upon a game's release.

Its simply an anti-piracy measure plain and simple.

Sure you can prolly find a pirated version of the game a few hours after it is released somewhere on the net, but that's why the patch is out so quickly - its almost like the MS Windows Validation feature in a way.

I guess I can't blame them.

You just need to update directx9.0c to the latest version.
(BtS comes with the latest directx9c on the disc, and will update it for you)

Thank you. I updated directx.9.0c, but I think I'll stay away from the patches until I get BtS. After all, when I have installed BtS it will, if I understand things correctly, update and patch everything.

Anyway, I mean never to play Warlords again once I've got my copy of BtS. Ah, the bliss of never gain having to listen to that horrible menu music and watch that leering orc-chieftain!

Top Bottom