• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The Futility and Illogic of DUI Pot Laws

Now this is just stupid. If you let people belief a false belief that they can drive responsibly while stoned or drunk then all you are going to be rewarded with is more innocent people killed by these impaired drivers. I have no problem what-so-ever with such random checks, and in fact think its a great idea to help remind people that driving drunk (or high) will not be tolerated.

And that's a good thing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying driving while impaired should be legal. You shouldn't have to prove that they were driving irresponsibly, just that they were impaired. That said, random checks are against the fourth amendment, and are also clearly wrong. If you need to "Randomly" check someone, they obviously aren't endangering anyone so leave them alone. If they are driving dangerously, then its not really "Random."

But hey, I guess people that actually care about such outdated things as the Fourth Amendment. That's been your Republican Party's position since its first President in any case. I guess getting a Republican to give a crap now would be a lot to expect, considering.

You've got nothing to worry about if you've got nothing to hide, eh?

Yessa, my papers sah.

This.

You've got nothing to worry about if you've got nothing to hide, eh?

Yessa, my papers sah.

Such stops dont even require papers or anything like that. You pull up, they ask you how you are doing tonight, if you're not drunk you say fine and drive on. If they smell alcohol on you, they ask you to get out and take a sobriety test.

They do these routine spot checks very, very often late at night on military bases. Works to get a lot of drunk drivers off the road.

I don't think I've heard of a person driving under the influence of cannabis killing someone in an accident. I checked the literature and it seems the increase in risk is minimal.

The second largest number of estimates of risk (42) refers to the
use of cannabis. The summary odds ratio indicates that the risk of
becoming involved in an accident at any level of severity increases
moderately (by about 25–50%) when using cannabis. Evidence of
publication bias was found in summary estimates of risk at all levels
of accident severity. Adjusting for publication bias lowered all summary
estimates of risk. Fig. 4 shows the new data points added by
the trim-and-fill analysis of estimates of risk referring to property
damage only accidents.
Adjusting for publication bias reduced the summary estimate of
the odds ratio of becoming involved in a property damage only accident
when using cannabis from 1.48 to 1.14. The adjusted estimate
was only barely statistically significant at the 5% level.

The 95% confidence interval for property damage was (1.00, 1.30), the only one that unambiguously declares an increase with cannabis. The publication-bias-corrected odds ratios and 95% confidence intervals for fatal and injurious accidents were 1.25(0.87, 1.79) and 1.08(0.86, 1.36), respectively. The strongest indicator for an effect by cannabis is property damage, but even that is "barely statistically significant".

Police said the victim was close to two different lit and controlled intersections, but chose to step out into the middle of traffic, which would clearly put him at fault.
Not smart.

Synthetic marijuana? Why is there even such a thing? I don't know about the effects of that.

This seems like a straight example of cannabis causing a fatal accident.

Synthetic marijuana? Why is there even such a thing? I don't know about the effects of that.

you see to make use of the appetising effects of thc, they couldnt just give patients with a loss of appetite real marijuana in any form because that's...
well, i dont know why they couldnt, anyway, they synthesized thc to use that as appetitising drug.

You've never heard of spice? Synthetic marijuana is where they alter the chemical composition of THC slightly so it will still activate the THC receptors in the brain, but the alteration actually changes how the body metabolizes the drug, thereby sometimes defeating drug detection methods. Its basically an attempt to get high but beat drug tests.

I'm no expert, but from what I've heard synthetic marijuana is considerably more dangerous than natural marijuana and is a problem that would not exist if it weren't for weed prohibition.

Wasn't the guy who was found naked eating a homeless man's face on either synthetic weed or bath salts?

Such stops dont even require papers or anything like that. You pull up, they ask you how you are doing tonight, if you're not drunk you say fine and drive on. If they smell alcohol on you, they ask you to get out and take a sobriety test.

They do these routine spot checks very, very often late at night on military bases. Works to get a lot of drunk drivers off the road.

Yarly, the part about papers was a joke, though they are going to run your license which is the same thing anyhow. Yes I know driving is considered a regulatable privileged not a right. Yes I know random checkpoints and getting a dog out to sniff your crotch is not considered a breach of the 4th Amendment under current judicial ruling.

It's the sentiment that is so rankly offensive. Hai, we're going to randomly trawl through law abiding citizens we have no legitimate reason to suspect right on the line of unreasonable search in order to catch somebody maybe once in a while. Never fear the omnipresent hand of the law, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. Unless maybe you are driving while black. And keep your papers on you and ready plebs.

You've never heard of spice? Synthetic marijuana is where they alter the chemical composition of THC slightly so it will still activate the THC receptors in the brain, but the alteration actually changes how the body metabolizes the drug, thereby sometimes defeating drug detection methods. Its basically an attempt to get high but beat drug tests.

this is simply not true. marijuana was synthesised for medical use. stuff doesnt really make all that high.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabilone

Medical marijuana patients report that nabilone is more similar in effect to CBD than THC, indicating that it has more of a therapeutic effect on the body than a "high" effect on the mind.

spice sucks big time as well. it's one of those extremely easy to get but pretty crappy drugs you use as a thirteen year old due to a lack of alternatives.
like huffing NO2, glue or surgical spirit.

this is simply not true. marijuana was synthesised for medical use. stuff doesnt really make all that high.

You are incorrect, it is indeed true. Nabilone is merely one type of synthetic THC, the compound found in Spice is another. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid#Synthetic_and_patented_cannabinoids

JWH-018, a potent synthetic cannabinoid agonist discovered by Dr. John W. Huffman at Clemson University. It is being increasingly sold in legal smoke blends collectively known as "spice". Several countries and states have moved to ban it legally

spice sucks big time as well. it's one of those extremely easy to get but pretty crappy drugs you use as a thirteen year old due to a lack of alternatives.
like huffing NO2, glue or surgical spirit.

Actually. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JWH-018

my point was that thc was historically synthesized for medical use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_cannabinoid#Synthetic_and_patented_cannabinoids

i know that spice itself was synthesized for recreational use, but thats not how synthesized cannabinoids came to be.

None of which disproves my original comment which you claimed was false, but wasnt. I never argued how it came to be. I merely claimed that some synthesized cannabinoids are used because not as many drug tests detect them which still getting a THC 'high', which is indeed a true statement. Also, given the context of the news story I had also linked was about recreational use, odds are more likely it was spice that was used as opposed to a controlled medical cannabinoid.

actually what? that several countries try to ban it? i know that.
have you ever taken it? sucks. dont know about those test animals.

No, but i've kicked some soldiers out of the military for using it attempting to beat our drug tests.

i have forgotten what my point was, actually.

anyway, you're a doctor in the military?

i have forgotten what my point was, actually.

anyway, you're a doctor in the military?

Rofl, no. A Chief paralegal who was greatly involved in separating soldiers for doing drugs while on active duty. As such I had to have a good knowledge of the drug testing systems the military uses and the procedures/chain of custody involved.

While on the one hand I do recognize the state's right to set certain rules regulating the use of its property (Assuming their property is legitimate in the first place, which I think roads are an acceptable thing for the state to own) on the other hand I do think that they need a good reason to set such rules since they don't compete on the market. Just saying "It happens" isn't really enough of a reason. People under 30 also get into accidents, should we ban driving until 30? But wait, people over 30 also get into accidents so... do you see where I'm going here?

And I say that while my gut feelings agree with you, at least on the isolated issue that smoking pot and driving should be illegal. You still, however, need to demonstrate that there is an exceptional risk to smoking pot and driving, not merely that crashes do happen. Sometimes car drivers that aren't under the influence of anything do crash.

Yarly, the part about papers was a joke, though they are going to run your license which is the same thing anyhow. Yes I know driving is considered a regulatable privileged not a right. Yes I know random checkpoints and getting a dog out to sniff your crotch is not considered a breach of the 4th Amendment under current judicial ruling.

Because our judges are more or less rubber stamps for whatever our overlords deem arbitrarily to be constitutional and no more. The Constitution is quite clear as to what an "Unreasonable search and seizure" is, and quite frankly, if you think searching people at random is "Reasonable" I'm far more afraid of you, and people like you in power, than anyone driving under the influence of anything.

Now, if you are driving in an unsafe manner I have no problem with a check to see whether you are drunk or whatever when the evidence says you probably are. But to just randomly check people is absurd. Its just an attempt to get people who aren't causing harm into our jail cells for no good reason. Even worse, it infringes on everyone's rights.

It's the sentiment that is so rankly offensive. Hai, we're going to randomly trawl through law abiding citizens we have no legitimate reason to suspect right on the line of unreasonable search in order to catch somebody maybe once in a while. Never fear the omnipresent hand of the law, if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear. Unless maybe you are driving while black. And keep your papers on you and ready plebs.

All too many "conservatives" more or less think like this:lol:

UNEQUAL TREATMENT DOES NOT MEAN THE EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE HAS BEEN VIOLATED OR IS IN ANY WAY RELEVANT. ONLY UNEQUAL PROTECTION BASED ON CLASSIFICATIONS OF A SUSPECT CLASS THAT HAS FACED HISTORIC DISCRIMINATION SUCH AS RACE, GENDER AND SEXUAL ORIENTATION VIOLATES EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE.

EQUAL PROTECTION CLAUSE DID NOT WHEN IT WAS WRITTEN APPLY TO ANYTHING ASIDE FROM RACE BASED CLASSIFICATION (ORIGINAL INTENT). IT DOES NOT, DID NOT, AND WILL NOT EVER APPLY TO POT SMOKERS.

Alright son, and that's my last post on this matter.

The 14th Amendment "accomplished" what the House tried back in the 1790s, to compel the states to respect the Bill of Rights effectively creating dual citizenship. The Senate representing the states rejected the idea back then. Obviously the treatment of freed blacks was ostensibly a priority but that doesn't mean everybody else aint protected (wtf?). Of course pot smokers are protected - they fit the definition in the amendment of someone protected by the Constitution, they're citizens too. You've re-defined citizen to exclude millions of...citizens. And pot smokers aint a "suspect" group and hasn't faced discrimination?

The rest of your argument is an explanation as to why the courts wont protect pot smokers based on some transit authority hiring practice that aint applicable. There was no criminal law involved and addicts weren't being treated differently than alcoholics. Criminal law is involved with driving "impaired" and pot smokers and drinkers aint being treated "equally".

Except, of course, 'we' doesnt mean 'all of us'. Nor are all that you list what i'd actually quantify as 'impairments'.

Which ones aint impairments? Of course "we" means all of us, nobody is "perfekt". That means we drive impaired all the time, its just a matter of how much. Two days ago I drove an animal to the vet, I was concerned for the critter (a distraction) and I'm under the weather and taking meds with a pulled muscle in my upper back that makes driving painful. I've seen better days and I'm rarely close to "perfect". In spite of all that, my impairment was less than a drinker near the legal limit for booze. And I'm still impaired, just getting over the cold and that pulled muscle aint healing very fast - that'll be bothering me for another month probably. Thank God it aint messing up my golf game, but I'm still playing impaired. ;)

Not exactly, as there was an established metabolite level that would rule out second hand exposure. In other words, the test would only pick up levels of the drug that resulted in impairment which meant they were actually high (to varying extent) during the actual test.

I dont understand, the test would show THC from weeks ago proving they were high at the time of the test?

THC is always active in the brain via the THC receptors in the brain as long as it is in the system.

So if you smoke pot today you'll be high for 2-3 weeks? I dont think we agree on what "active" means, I mean the "high" - the impairment. Thats what the law will be dealing with, unless its a zero tolerance policy where mere detection (aside from 2nd hand smoke) "convicts" the user of DUI even if they hadn't smoked in a week.

You may not know this but some states will still charge a person with a DUI even if their BAC is less than .08 if the test were given long after their arrest. They are allowed to estimate their BAC level at the time of the arrest via established science on how to do that. Granted that is only a several hours example of your reference, but it is similar to what you are referring to.

Established science... Have we established in this thread that pot smokers are less likely to crash than drinkers at the legal limit? When I said they were less impaired your rebuttal was they're differently impaired. Okay, then pot smokers are differently impaired than sober drivers and both are safer than drinkers.

This is simply false logic. If driving while high is safe then people will still obviously do so without getting caught for the simple reason the cops need a probable cause to pull you over for a traffic infraction.

Random checkpoints dont require probable cause - (what 4th Amendment?) - and a good nose can detect pot on clothing or upholstery long after it was used.

In other words, if you are right (I dont think you are) then the laws will only be a concern to those so hugely messed up that they should obviously not be driving at all. Which would still make those laws effective albeit to a lesser extent that DUI laws for alcohol.

The laws now are mostly zero tolerance, Washington state's legalization referendum came attached with a 5 nanogram limit. I dont know about medical pot states like California, Colorado's in the process of dealing with the matter.

But some studies show 5 nanograms of active THC per milliliter of whole blood is equivalent to about 0.05 percent blood-alcohol level, less than the state DUI limit for alcohol in Washington and Oregon.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/2012/12/washingtons_new_driving_high_d.html

So it may be possible to come up with a useful ratio, we aint there yet

Drunk people get pulled over for driving irregularly. Your premise is that pot smokers wont do this. Ergo, pot smokers have nothing to worry about these laws. That is the hole in your argument.

I expect proportionally fewer pot smokers will get pulled over than drinkers - and thats probably buried in some stat pile somewhere, but people are not perfect. That includes pot smokers... Why should a simple infraction for everyone else escalate into the realm of criminality for pot smokers? That isn't proof they're more impaired than other legal drivers. Give them a ticket for the infraction.

I really think there're some really good points in Berzerker's points. There's some parts that I disagree with, but I won't focus too much on them.

So, Berzerker, the main weakness I see with your gist is the insistence on the risk ratio and of the level of impairment. Here's what I mean: I think more extensive studies are warranted and if they continue to show that the impairment (i.e., driving handicap) levels are significantly lower than a BAC of 0.08 at most to all doses of MJ, then having a separate 'cap' on MJ usage doesn't make reasonable sense. That said, holding too hard to the current numbers isn't required for this point to be true. It's going to be tough to convince people that MJ-induced impairment is non-trivial. Without real study, it's hard to get good statistics.

The other really good point is that there's just no real way to test for MJ dosing. Like you say, the metabolite is detectable, even when it's not causing much of an issue. The analogy to alcohol is reasonable. Alcohol's metabolites last a bit longer than the actual impairment, but they (themselves) are metabolised so quickly that it's a non-issue for detection.

In my country, you can have an additional punishment for driving while impaired. Too little sleep, weird drug interactions, whatever. This catch-all very well could be a reasonable way of preventing people from driving while too influenced by MJ. If the driver is driving unsafely, then they can get ticketed and prosecuted without resorting to anti-drug laws.

Thanks Mac, and I agree - overcoming false perceptions is a tall order. In this thread people posted studies claiming pot smokers were nearly 2x more likely to crash without even considering booze and every other impairment under the sun. The bias is against pot...

It's a question of risk-perception, which we're all really bad at. Saying that pot doubles your chance of an accident sounds risky, but it needs perspective. We're all prone to freaking out over risks.

This video is from a symposium on synthetic biology, but it about risk assessment and cognitive failures that people have. I (and others on CFC) have found it to be very illuminating.

Link to video.

Top Bottom