1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Fall from Heaven

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Apr 17, 2010.

1. deanej

deanej Deity

Depends on how they're doing it. They might not be teaming with a professional company for this. Games can be made from scratch by amateurs without a budget.

2. Athaboros

Athaboros Chieftain

That's amazing news, Kael. Congratulations are due to you and the entire team. I wish you all the best of luck!

3. Skyre Noktis

Skyre Noktis Warlord

I have seriously mixed feelings about this, to say the least. FfH2 owes an absolutely massive amount to the Civ 4 game engine (>90% of the code is still Firaxis') and trying to beat Firaxis at their own game seems like it would be a serious uphill struggle. Civ 5 surely has a much, much bigger budget and a much, much more experienced team behind it.

The only ways I can see this being a good decision are if (a) Firaxis is helping to develop it, or (b) it's going to dump the 4X genre completely, as someone else suggested, to become an RPG or something, and avoid direct comparisons to FfH2 and any fantasy mods that get developed for Civ 5. Otherwise, it seems to be an insane act of hubris from my point of view. YMMV.

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

:lol:

5. James the Wise

James the Wise Chieftain

Congratulations Kael

I am very much looking forward to its release and will be following its progress!!
    :goodjob::dance:

6. TheColorQ

TheColorQ Chieftain

After hearing someone say there would be no Fall from Heaven for Civ 5, I was thinking that I would be totally willing to pay for it, and now it appears I may get to do just that.
    THANK YOU!!

7. landlubber

landlubber Scottish Nationalist

Will it still be turn-based? Or more of an RPG kind of thing?

8. NotSoGood

NotSoGood Emperor

I wonder how long they've been working on it and when it's going to be released.
    Looking for more information...

9. cfkane

cfkane Emperor

Congratulations!

10. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Well, I think if there is a Genre change, it's more likey to be RTS then RPG, but who knows.

11. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

I love how the biggest speculations are on it being developed by Firaxis, and yet the developer, genre, and all details were noticeably left off.... :lol:

Honestly, I think wild speculation is more fitting than relatively tame, "It may be like Colonization" speculation. :p

12. Breunor

Breunor Deity

Best of luck, I'll be buying it sight unseen!

Best wishes,

Breunor

13. zacman

zacman Chieftain

^
    l
    I think a ffh RTS would be amazing!

14. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Inspiring! Many of us modders look to Fall from Heaven for inspiration. Myself included and I'm one of the more obvious ones. With these news you indeed inspire us modders even further, since it shows just how far modding can take you.

Modding is no longer a small hobby, but big business that can take you far. I now have concrete evidence of how important the artform modding is, I can now tell my IRL mates off and show concrete proof of modding greatness and importance, when they start bugging me about how I waste my time modding. Yeah.

You brought us a good mod, now bring us a good game too! My best wishes for the game Fall from Heaven. I'll be playing, and I'll be inspired.

15. KillerClowns

KillerClowns Emperor

Oh wow. I go away for a day, and come back to this? Good luck, I shall be watching to see what sort of magnificent schemes you hatch.

16. Swinkscalibur

Swinkscalibur Prince

Can't wait!! This is awesome. Congrats.

17. jasonjay77

jasonjay77 Chieftain

More information is required of you, Kael. You can't just do something like this and not give us any juicy details! I want dragons that fly and bomb cities like aircraft!

:deal:

18. Vrenir

Vrenir King

Very well, onward with the Wild Speculation: the new Fall from Heaven will be a first-person adventure RPG covering a massive landmass while combining the traditional play-style of The Elder Scrolls series with the puzzle-solving genius and wit of the Monkey Island saga.

19. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Kael hasn't even said that it is going to be a computer game. Perhaps the book he's been writing is going to be a book you play, similar to the Adventure Gamebooks or Fighting Fantasy book series... :rolleyes:

20. Valacirca

Valacirca Chieftain

Since I'm assuming the art and music will all be new, I shall miss my pirates who listen to the Decemberists.