The Great Wall and Dynamite

Or should become a tourist attraction after dynamite and produce some culture for all the cities that were within the wall when it was built.

That would be consistent with the real world ...

Great idea.

Once the builder discovers dynamite and it goes obsolete it should add extra culture. Maybe +6 culture total after dynamite? The person sunk a bunch of hammers and time into it, they should keep getting rewarded for it.

Yeah, I think someone said it was made this way because having a check the other way around - each time an offender moves in your territory, it has to check whether they have discovered Dynamite - would consume a lot of computing capacity, but really it's just so dissatisfactory. Surely there must have been ways to work around this.

That's nonsense.

That's nonsense.

I believe this as well. A simple boolean could check once per turn turn whether or not dynamite has been researched by any civ. Even if it were civ specific it would check once per civ's turn. Certainly much less than every time an action is made within enemy territory.

Wait-a-minute. Why are we arguing about how illogical it is for the builder to get dynamite for the GREAT Wall to be obsolete, when regular City Walls don't function under the same logic? I mean, shouldn't it be consistent where either dynamite causes both kinds of wall to go obsolete OR it causes neither to become obsolete?

And before someone makes an argument about how city walls are upgraded and the Great Wall isn't. Why would a Civ allow their Great Wall to fall into disrepair? I mean, there are still relatively modern examples of border fortifications being built including the Korean DMZ and the Maginot Line.

The Maginot Line didn't really work, though...

I'm sure city walls used to go obsolete in earlier versions of Civ... or am I making that up?

The Maginot Line didn't really work, though...

I'm sure city walls used to go obsolete in earlier versions of Civ... or am I making that up?

Well, all gunpowder units ignore building defense anyway, which I never quite understood how that functions and it was in both Civ IV and V, but from the way its worded it makes walls useless anyway after a certain point. I think IV just stopped letting you build them once this was reached.

Well, all gunpowder units ignore building defense anyway, which I never quite understood how that functions and it was in both Civ IV and V, but from the way its worded it makes walls useless anyway after a certain point. I think IV just stopped letting you build them once this was reached.

Walls became irrelevant in cites above size 6 in Civ IV, IIRC. You couldn't build walls in a city too large to benefit from them.

Walls became irrelevant in cites above size 6 in Civ IV, IIRC. You couldn't build walls in a city too large to benefit from them.

What? That's not true at all.

And double checking, Walls in IV became obsolete at Rifling. Prior to that you could build them in any city (regardless of population) and they did provide a defensive benefit.

The thing was, though, that gunpowder units ignore building defense. They also do this in Civ V. Yet, at the same time, in IV you could get Gunpowder units before Rifling, and in the official Next War Mod/Addon, there were later buildings that provided defense despite all units at that point ignoring building defense. On top of this, walls don't obsolete in V and you can build later buildings and wonders that add defense to the city. So, what exactly "ignores building defense" does in Civ IV and V is somewhat ambiguous.

I think that it's effects should only apply to civs that haven't discovered dynamite.

Top Bottom