The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It only showed articles that said people were just THINKING of suicide.

I did not find one result stating that someone actually DID commit suicide due to avatar depression.

Then in all likelihood, it never happened or went unreported then. I affirmed because my memories of "Avatar depression" and this somehow got crossed. I apologize. The movie came out like, two years ago, man.

Would not one have to be obsessed to the point that others could see their obsesseion of not living on Pandora, or left a note stating such? Kind of hard to tell after one is gone, what was the actual reason. Even if one is in their right mind, would the note even be truthful, although a source of "may" have been the reason?

A friend of mine has lately fallen into the swing of conspiracy theories it seems; her moving several hundred miles, not having a job, and lacking much of a social life surely not playing into this at all surely... ANYWHO I'm compelled to ask, what the hell is this FEMA camp conspiracy theory thing? I simply can't be arsed to look into it myself and try to sort all the crap from the lesser crap.

FEMA camps are where conservative activists are supposed to be rounded up and kept in.

I know that when Avatar (the James Cameron one), a lot of people became depressed over how wonderful the world of that movie was so awesome compared to the misery that is Earth, which is sometimes called "avatar depression."

My question is, are there any cases where avatar depression drives a person to actually committing suicide?

The Avatar I saw was stricken with blown up trees, oppressed natives, humans getting killed, and to top it all off, poisonous air. If that's what kids think is awesome nowadays, they'd love the 1600-1700's.

Can aerosol cans of things like paints or cleaners stand below freezing conditions without being damaged?

What is the purpose behind girls on facebook saying, "I'm going to live in (country/city) for (arbitrary/random? number) months/years?"

The only thing that I can think of is to see who goes, "What the--?! NEIN!"

What is the purpose behind girls on facebook saying, "I'm going to live in (country/city) for (arbitrary/random? number) months/years?"

It's probably because they think that men are less perverted there than where she currently is.

It's probably because they think that men are less perverted there than where she currently is.

Um... no...

It's the same reason women put "I like it in/on the [certain location]." It's a stupid way of raising breast cancer awareness.

It's a stupid way of raising breast cancer awareness.

I have facebook myself, and I've never liked people who post chain-statuses to 'raise awareness'. If you want to make a difference to a cause, donate or volunteer for it and keep quiet about it. Shouting about it on facebook just makes you look like a self-important prick without actually doing any good.

Question that maybe someone from the UK might know the answer to:

How does BBC Radio make money? I don't think there are any adverts on their broadcasts (other than for other BBC shows) like on TV, but there's no equivalent of the TV license for radio :confused:

The TV license pays for the radio and the internets. They also sell programmes overseas to raise cash.

If you own a television and you want to watch the BBC you have to pay £145.50/year for the benefit.

If you own a television and you want to watch the BBC you have to pay £145.50/year for the benefit.

You don't have to want to watch the BBC either. Any TV receiving equipment means you are liable as well.

I could probably avoid paying then, since I don't have a working TV.

I'd rather subsidise quality TV though.

Question that maybe someone from the UK might know the answer to:

How does BBC Radio make money? I don't think there are any adverts on their broadcasts (other than for other BBC shows) like on TV, but there's no equivalent of the TV license for radio :confused:

From BBC

The current fee – from 1 April 2010 – is £145.50 for a colour licence and £49.00 for a black-and-white licence

The licence fee pays for:

■the television channels BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four, BBC News, BBC Parliament, CBBC and CBeebies;
■five network radio services, and digital radio services BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, BBC Radio 1Xtra, BBC Radio 7, BBC 6 Music and BBC Asian Network;
■regional television programmes and Local Radio services in England;
■national radio and television in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland;
■BBC Red Button, BBC Mobile and the BBC website (bbc.co.uk).

Anyone aged 75 or over is entitled to a free TV Licence for their principal address.

Blind people only pay 50% of the full licence fee

Radio only licences were abolished in February 1971

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/keyfacts/stories/licencefee.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom