The MapView Project - Editor/Viewer

tbear2520 said:
You say that your adding the ability to place resources. Does this mean that the Mapview will Write a saved file?
yes, in other words. You will be able to use it when you want to place the resources on the promised land. =)

I´ll give a list of the things that already work.

-Place all terrain types but snow
-overwrite all terrain types but snow
-terrain type write protection is user defined
-delete resources
-delete trees/jungle
-places trees/jungle on tiles that already have a FeatureType line
-delete routes
-delete improvements
-delete plottype (reset to 2)
-place plottypes (all but below sealevel, beloew sealevel is autoplaces for watterfields)
-a fill tool to replaces all terrain files of the same kind that are directly connected.

Gr3yHound, I downloaded your editor here to help finish my "The Promised Land" and I can't seam to place the resources. It should be working and ain't. I have only the write checked and the resources. Please review and advise. I can edit the terrain just the resources aren't working. The map does display a few resources I have put in through other means.

when editing the mountains for instance another check is put next to the mountains and it works. Yet with the resources no additional check is put in there. The resource does appear in the action box on the right top but the box of selecting the resource to edit doesn't put the check.:crazyeye:

Your editor looks very promising ;)

Also the edge seams to keep scrolling everytime I try to select a brush or what not. Keep battling for ground ;) I like the check for update. That rocks!

tbear2520 said:
Gr3yHound, I downloaded your editor here to help finish my "The Promised Land" and I can't seam to place the resources. It should be working and ain't.

weird! I can easily add bonuses to the Map that can be downoaded from your Threads.

I just load the Map, check Pencil and Ressources and select a ressource, then Paint.
tbear2520 said:
I have only the write checked and the resources. Please review and advise. I can edit the terrain just the resources aren't working.

In case you are absolutely sure you use the tools properly you should always have a look at the "current tile" tab and see if the line "BonusType=" is present in any way. Also for Forests and Jungles that require "FeatureType=". Atm MapView can only edit things if mapview doesn´t have to add lines, it can only modify atm.

currently there´s no extra check on the active ressource but you should see what will be done in the right upper edge..
You would require to have the pencil tool and the ressources you want to plant.

tbear2520 said:
when editing the mountains for instance another check is put next to the mountains and it works. Yet with the resources no additional check is put in there. The resource does appear in the action box on the right top but the box of selecting the resource to edit doesn't put the check.:crazyeye:

I don´t really get what you mean.

tbear2520 said:
Also the edge seams to keep scrolling everytime I try to select a brush or what not. Keep battling for ground ;) I like the check for update. That rocks!
Yeah the Scrolling is still a bit buggy and i´ll still see what i can do.
Basicly scrolling stops when you move the mouse on one of the 2 Toolbars. It looks like this procedure doesn´t work as good as we all wish.

I've tried it too but my problem is the opposite from tbear's.
I could place resources but couldn't figure out how to place or change terrain :(

The controls are a bit... confusing methinks. And the circle diagram doesn't appear like it should. See the screenshot.

But don't let this disencourage you! I think MapView is an awesome application and it sure promises to be a useful editor.

Attachments

• circlediagram.PNG
    circlediagram.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 398
Junuxx said:
I've tried it too but my problem is the opposite from tbear's.
I could place resources but couldn't figure out how to place or change terrain :(
That´s very likely the write protection.
When you have terrain checked and you hover over the terrain button you´ll get a list of all currently supported Terrain tiles. At start all will show a red cross mean (as descriped in the help panel of the program).

When you select 1 type of terrain (let´s say grassland) you´ll have 1 terrain type showing a green check and all others have the red cross. This means you have grassland selected but since all other terrain types are writeprotected (red cross) you can´t place terrain.

To toggle the write protection of a terrain type go to the terrain panel and do a right click on all terrains you want to change the write protection for.

As example: Start Mapview, toggle on terrains, then do a leftclick on grassland and rightclicks on all terrain types but ocean and coast.
Now you´ll place grassland on all land terrain types.

(i´ll better change the default setting so you´ll overwrite all terrain types by default and can change that later on request)

EXAMPLE:

Terrain is enabled, Tundra will be placed, desert and plains are write protected, coast, grassland and ocean can be overwritten.

Junuxx said:
The controls are a bit... confusing methinks. And the circle diagram doesn't appear like it should. See the screenshot.
Yep i already guessed that, but i worked a bit with it now and it really feels good and it can be very comfortable since you can do several things at once.
Basicly just take care of the tool you currently use and which of the main switches are on or off. (see action toolbar in the right upper corner).

About the screenshot. Between the Map and the upper area is a splitter that allows you to change the size of the elements. The same goes for the gap between the listbox to the left and the map window.
(you might have noticed my screenshot for the release didn´t look like your screen when you started mapview. That´s because i resized the Map Window to fill the whole area.)

And the damn circle diagrams ;) they just suck, i m definately not happy with them but i think they supply nice information so i think about keeping them. Just resize the field so the circles will fit.

Junuxx said:
But don't let this disencourage you! I think MapView is an awesome application and it sure promises to be a useful editor.

LIIIIES!! LIESSSS!! I AMMMMM ZIIIIMMMMM!!! ;)

nah, just kidding, it´s actually nice to hear that, thanks again.

I´ll always try to improve the handling of the program.
It´s just pretty hard to make a program have powerful features and still remain easy. I think it´s pretty strong that you can delete routes, improvements, bonuses, plottype etc. so it surely becomes a bit difficult but basicly it´s pretty easy. i´ll see what i can do to make things clearer.

Gr3yHound, well now my problems placing resources have changed a bit with the latest version you have out currently. MapView.0.2.2.1048.zip

It's actually pretty funny. Well the x now becomes a check when selecting the resource, but placing them is a little off. It places them at the correct X\Y location but only at locations where I already have a resource located(manually added using a bonus.bmp file during map creation). For instance it will change wine into gold. But not a empty sqaure next to the wine(which is now gold). hahaha. Lots of gold in there hills. LOL

Oh I also found the holding down the right mouse button to zoom in and out. Very nice :goodjob:

Tbear2520

great work this will allow others to create maps far easer and faster than befor meaning more fun stuff for everyone to get their hands on.

tbear2520 said:
It places them at the correct X\Y location but only at locations where I already have a resource located(manually added using a bonus.bmp file during map creation). For instance it will change wine into gold. But not a empty sqaure next to the wine(which is now gold). hahaha. Lots of gold in there hills. LOL

As menitioned several times in the main thread, this is known and i hate it myself. It´going deep into my current parsing system so i need to take care when i change something.

good to hear you like

hello everybody,
i m just about to add ice and snow features and i m wondering what i should do with ice.
Ice is a feature but i think ice is some kind of bad terrain so i m thinking abot adding it to the same toolbar with all "other" terrain types.

what do you think?

Nobody interessted?

I´ve another question since i m just trying to add rivers.

I´ve an idea how to realize river placing:
You press the terrain field that should be the source of the river.
Then you navigate the river with the arrow keys until you ...
  • reach a coast
  • merge with another river
  • abort the thing by pressing enter (the river will end in a small lake that isn´t coast) (i could make an automatically created coast field be placed at the end of the river if you want to have it like this)

or

you do the same with 4 buttons somewhere that you press to create a rivertile floating in the pressed direction.

for both ideas (i&#180;ll prolly end up doing both variants ;) ) i&#180;ll make the riverfield be delete when you press into the opposite direction as you came from -><- = 0

i think about navigation like this worm game where you have to "eat" those little sqaures (this c64 game, you know?)
whatcha think?

btw: i already added full support for bonus, improvement, and forest/jungle placing so you can really start from an empty map and you don&#180;t need any special source files anymore.

I agree that ice can better be grouped with terrain than with forest. Its a peculiar feature anyway. Ice on water can only appear on coast, on ocean it's ignored. Ice on land comes in two types:Terrain type Snow is called Ice in-game, and the feature ice sucks because it makes land impassable.

About rivers: I think that ideally, there wouldnt be dragging etc. Just click a square to make it a river, and it is automatically matched to the rivers in adjacent squares.

jup that&#180;s how i tried to make it. like driving the river where it should go. YOu act as the river and move where you wanna go. Like the worm game...i like the idea. clicking fields suxx since it doesn&#180;t make clear in which direction you wanna have the river

I just finished a very valueble update.

Most important new thing is the ability to edit any map, no matter what content it has. (well, still has to be a valid wbs file ;) but that should be no problem)

All changes can be seen here.

hf with the new version, it&#180;s the first version with real power.

0.2.3.1072 (12.Dec 2005)
  • Added River placement and deleting (river creatin goes from source to mouth of the river)
  • Added neat river direction arrows for river crossing to keep track where rivers are floating to.
  • You can now add resources, forests/jungles and improvements without restrictions
  • Added "random" starting positions. Individual startpositions for Civilizations is not yet supported.
  • New Update Checker so you finally get links to access the download and the thread. Links are opened with the standard browser
  • Added an option to "allow/disallow editing of several categories at once". That way you can decide if you want only add or delete one item at once or if you want to be able to do several steps at once. Default is "disallowed" (one-by-one)
  • Added show/hide ice switch
  • Added snow to terrain edit functions. You can FINALLY place snow.
  • Changed the river-button icon.

Cool! I'll check it out right away.
Remember Civ's great start location disfunctionality though: you might want to add a reference to DefaultPlayersTweaker in the readme :D

Junuxx

Junuxx said:
Cool! I'll check it out right away.
Remember Civ's great start location disfunctionality though: you might want to add a reference to DefaultPlayersTweaker in the readme :D

Junuxx

hhee, hm i did try it. the "startingplot" thing in the plot does only make the field relevant for the auto placement if there are no special assigned starting positions. And if there are especially asigned starting positions for the civilizations there is no need of "startingplot" in the plot definition. (thx dale, the indepth look to a wbs file is MY reference)

i´ll probably add a nice link collection sometime when i don´t feel like doing something difficult BUT do feel like improving mapview ;)

Top Bottom