1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The name of our Capital City ~

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game V: Citizens' started by Cyc, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Ankka

Ankka Deity

President has to get some honor.

2. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

Same method as last game, President for the Capital then Citizens registry order for the rest. Of course there is nothing to stop the President asking for suggestions and comments about the proposed names before making the final decision.

3. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Poll it then ?

4. Ankka

Ankka Deity

Poll what then?

5. Epimethius

Epimethius Wish I Hadn't Been Here

Anyone know what part of "Tokyo" is "east" and what part is "capital?" We could just stick that at the beginning (or end) of the nation name.

6. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

"Tou" = east
    "Kyou" = Capital
    (東京)

7. Chieftess

"Tou" = east
    "Kyou" = Capital
    (東京)
    江戸 (Edo - Tokyo's former name) is literally, "bay door" (the opening to the bay)

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

So then Kyoto is

Kyou = capitol

what's the "to" part?

Got any links to an online translator which does English to Japanese, but then spits out the anglicized phonetic spelling instead of the kanji characters?

9. Immortal

Immortal Deity

I was sticking to what we had before since I didnt think anybody actually wanted to do it this way. But since youve already done the work for me in the last demogame. I say that this is probably the best way of doing it out of all three scenarios.

10. Bacon King

Bacon King Emperor

I'm guessing the 'to' part means east, just like in Tokyo.

11. Chieftess

It's tou. Kyoutou is a bit different. Kyou is "waves/billows" in Kyoto. Tou is east. The same word can have more than 1 kanji representation.

12. Epimethius

So we could do Japanatichikyou (Japanatika Capital), or something like that.

Or, of course, something related to the geography, which we don't know yet.

13. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

Let's name our capital after our first president. As citizens we can name the capital in whatever form we choose that would honor the president. And this way the pres can name the second city.

14. Falcon02

Falcon02 General

This is why Washington DC. in the US is named WASHINGTON DC. after George Washington.

I still feel it should be named by the first president it is tradition after all. But we might want to poll it. Some people seem to think this is some sort of Elitist "dominance" over the citizenry....:rolleyes:

15. Immortal

Immortal Deity

I dont know if its directed at me or not, if it is you have seriously misinterpreted what my intention was.

I believe naming a city through consensus takes too long to do, and some peoples city names may be "better" than others. I would rather have a bad city name somebody wanted to pick than a good name thought of by the same people who have thought of all the names before it.

16. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

Don't worry about it, Immortal. He's talking about me. It's just typical Republican bad-mouthing of someone they disagree with. Polling the issue wouldn't bother me a bit.

I still believe that the President should determine the name of the Capital City (by whatever means - coming up with the name themselves or asking for advise), and then resort to the Citizen's Registry. No paperwork/bookwork is needed and the next city's name is accessable as checking the Registry. I really don't see a big problem here.

17. LeeT911

LeeT911 Eloquent Silence

I would like to make a suggestion. Instead of going through the registry by chronological order, perhaps we could use a random number generator to select a random citizen to name a city. This way, it is still the individual citizens who are naming their cities, but those who registered first are not accorded any special benefit for that fact.

As to the president naming the first city, I think it would contradict the equality I'm hoping for, even though I hardly think that the naming of one city is such a big deal. However, it's the principle that counts, and I see no reason why the first president should be accorded any special privilege. Does the president in the second term get to name the first city founded in his term?

18. Epimethius

I do think it should be up to the citizens entirely. This is a demogame. Come on. Its only one city, anyway. :p

19. Donovan Zoi

Donovan Zoi The Return

Exactly, Epimethius. That is why it should be no great shakes to grant this honor to the first President, as we have for at least the last three DGs. I can't recall the name of DG1's first city or how it was named, but I am sure CT or Cyc will help me out here.

As for the rush to pull out the Japanese dictionary, all I can say is that it will be a fun novelty for the first few cities, but will become quite a pain once we have 40+ cities. By using a language unfamiliar to most of us, we lose the meaning and distinction that an English translation will provide.

For reference, we are currently using Chinese translations in one of the Inter-Site DGs, and it is hard to distinguish one city from another until you are well familiar with the game. I would rather have names that easily reflect the personality of each of our citizens than homogenizing these qualities into a national language that not all can decipher.

20. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

the grey fox was elected our first President in DG1. He also name the Capital City The Fox's Nest. A very appropriate name.