the Name

The science term for it is a singularity, the point at which the universe has an infinite density and zero volume. At this point time itself has no meaning (since time isnt a constant but effected by the forces of creation).

Under the theory of General Relativity our own universe started as a singularity. Everything was one until the moment of the big bang when all the building blocks of everything that would come after came into existence and all forces in the universe, including time, began.

Just change the above line from "everything was one", to "everything was the One", and you pretty much have it. The only difference being that we imply some sentience in that thing that was before creation, and I doubt Stephen Hawking would.

Yeah, I saw a two hour thing on TV about that, but what I really want to know is if an object accelerated past the speed of light and began to move backwards in time, at the instant that happened wouldn't it exist twice in the same space and thus collide with itself? That is of course assuming that time can be divided into small enough portions that an object moving that fast wouldn't have moved past itself when it started moving backwards in time, and it time can be divided into small enough portions that in two instances an object moving faster than light wouldn't have moved, then wouldn't each instance of time be infinite length of time and therefor mean that time doesn't exist at all. Uh oh, there's that headache again... [pissed]

Shouldnt be possible since an object gains mass as it nears the speed of light, requiring more energy to increase its speed, which adds more mass, forever. You should never be able to reach that limit, let alone exceed it. Although you may generate enough mass to create a black hole (which is a return to our singularity status).

What an unusual conversation for a civ4 fantasy mod forum. :)

...at the instant that happened wouldn't it exist twice in the same space and thus collide with itself?
Apart from the obvious rest mass problem, no. Don't forget, there is no universal time it can travel backwards in - only with respect to certain reference frames.

An object moving faster than the speed of light appears to travel back in time when observed from certain reference frames, relative from the FTL-traveller's reference frame. In its own reference frame, time is always normal.

It's just a really bad thing (apart from the rest mass problem), because it can violate causality (again, in certain reference frames). It's sort of like that: "Pick two: Causality, faster-than-light travel, relativity."

Cheers, LT.

Yeah, I saw a two hour thing on TV..... [pissed]

Joke!!!
What do you get when two objects collide into each other?

THE BIG BANG!!!! (thank you thank you!! I will be here all night)

that joke almost made me not want to necro this.
So if i understand correcty, there wasnt a period of time before the orb of temperence, just a point in time where the only thing to exist was the One, which to Him could have been howevr long he wanted to feel it was, , then POOF and theres time? Can the One still make his time out of whack relative to Erebus? Does he have feelings?

the One is pretty much fashioned after God in christianity/judaism/islam, so i'd assume that St. Anselm's ontological argument "God is that which no greater can be imagined." So imagine something, and the One is greater than that. to answer your questions: you're never going to get an answer to your questions

Top Bottom