The new 2K launcher

Am I the only one incredibly annoyed by the new laucnher.. Apart from my general annoyance at all these pointless launchers the sound effects are irritatingly loud.. And there's no option to turn them off.
See that thread

Tried it.. Doesn't seem to work. I get a message with "Action was succesful" or something like it and then nothing..

Mind you, this is the new launcher. I saw it for the first time today..
Should work, I've been bypassing it for over a year and didn't have any issues today either.

Tried it.. Doesn't seem to work. I get a message with "Action was succesful" or something like it and then nothing..

Mind you, this is the new launcher. I saw it for the first time today..

Still working, did that 5 mins ago for first time.

I thought I had the override going but clearly I don't. Hopefully I've got it working.

But... wow, the 2K Launcher looks ugly as sin. I don't know why they did it considering XCOM2, XCOM:CS and Civ VI are handled by Steam anyway. SEGA have one for TW and whilst that looks better, it seems equally pointless.

Launcher are like prices ending with 99. Moronic, but everyone uses it, because afraid not to.
Not really. There's nothing sinister about 2K Launcher, or nothing about it - on the surface, at least - that could be sinister.

But it's completely pointless when I need Steam to launch the game anyway. So I select Civ VI, launch it, launcher appears and gives me the option of XCOM 2, XCOM:CS and Civ VI. Why? Why do I need the facility to manage XCOM 2's mods out of the game when launching Civ VI?

Not really. There's nothing sinister about 2K Launcher, or nothing about it - on the surface, at least - that could be sinister.

But it's completely pointless when I need Steam to launch the game anyway. So I select Civ VI, launch it, launcher appears and gives me the option of XCOM 2, XCOM:CS and Civ VI. Why? Why do I need the facility to manage XCOM 2's mods out of the game when launching Civ VI?
I agree it's tedious. On the bright side, you can skip steam by adding the launcher to your task bar.

If you have it as shortcut (desktop/taskbar/startmenu) to bypass Steam, doesn't Steam need to be running in the background anyway?
I have used the Launch command for years. And after updating (no NFP or new DLC bought) it froze on "Loading, Please wait". Had no mods active.
Had to clear the Launch command field, run the hideous new launcher, and then put in the Launcher parameters, then it works.
But ends up with have to press "Continue" before I get the Civ6 menu.

Complain: The noise in the new Launcher!! For every button /mouse active field, it biped!! Annoying as ********!! And I have no interests in XCOM or other 2K games!! Now I defiantly wan't to buy them, not even on free weekend!

Last edited by a moderator:

I didn't say it was sinister. There's nothing sinister about marketing your products.

But, if receiveing negative feedback from your existing customers, there should be a solution that does what sales wants, without compromising the product.
Civ6 is a complex game, which means its favored by people that want complex escapes from their daily routine. Excess information, unwanted information like launchers are what lazy marketing applies, under pressure from lazy sales trying to apply their dishwasher sales logic into computer gaming.

Yes, it would be harder to have separate launchers, but hey, deal with it.

Top Bottom