• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The new non-UUs, what is still to come?

Dutch Canuck

Khan of Flatlanders
If I understand correctly there are 25 new units coming to the core game (scenerios often have new stuff by default that often is not seen in the main game). If we account for 10 of the 25 as the Unique Units for the 10 new civs, it is reasonable to expect 15 generic units leftover - and of those 15 generic units we have 8 cited already:

1) Anti-Tank Gun.
2) Cuirassier.
3) The Executive.
4) Mobile Artillery.
5) Mobile SAM.
6) Paratrooper.
7) Privateer.
8) Tactical Nuke.

9) to 15) are ???? - your guesses are as good as mine...

My wish list for the rest:

9) A WWII era Cruiser. (I think I've seen it already in one of the preview pics, but it may be solely for the WWII scenerio. I am not sure.)
10) An industrial Tramp Steamer as a cargo ship between Galleon and the landing craft styled Transport. The way it progresses now is kind of silly. In fact the Tramp Steamer shouldn't expire but remain as a slower heavy troop transport. (In my mod of Rise N Rule for Civ III, I used the Titanic for that job ;) )
11) A Biplane (no resources needed, but of course a weak unit). For reconnaisance, harrassing ground units, and as an early interceptor.
12) An Airship/Derrigible. Weak but effective for recon and to push back the fog of war where they are stationed. Maybe see submarines, bomb improvements, but not see nuclear submarines (see 14 below)!
13) A Hovercraft for marine style assaults. It would need special movement rules to approximate their utility: coastal waters and flat lands only; no penalty attacking from coast waters or over rivers - maybe even a modest bonus. It could carry 2 foot units, such as marines! Could be cool!
14) Nuclear Submarine. Faster, harder to detect, can carry the new tactical nukes. (Since they are adding Tac Nukes I bet the Nuke Sub is coming!)
15) Cruise Missiles. As a non-nuke variant to Tac Nukes. Designed for surgical strikes where targets are chosen from a limited list like naval units, certain buildings (factories), bombers, and maybe space program production! But not regular land units. That would be interesting...

What do you folks think will be coming for the last 7 generic units? :)

you didn't include the new early spy/ninja and great spy.

So that's 10 accounted for.

I like the tramp steamer idea

11. Nuclear Submarines (to carry tactical nukes)
12. Cruise Missiles (similar as in civ III)
13. Ski or Mountain Troops (As long as it is not called Alpine Troops, because that is too centric one one specific region and ignores the non-Alpine European, U.S., Israeli, Indian ski troops. I am sure there are also others.)
14.Train (used to transport units on railroads, railroads no longer give benefits to units)
15. Transport Truck (used to transport units on roads, and maybe even non-road land that is passable for a truck but moves slower)

you didn't include the new early spy/ninja and great spy.

So that's 10 accounted for.

I really forgot about those two. Well, at least the question as to the 5 left seems still open. I hope Firaxis is paying attention. :D

14.Train (used to transport units on railroads, railroads no longer give benefits to units)
That would only serve to complicate things. The existence of a train network is implied by the rails themselves. The military do not need special trains- they're not like boats which have to be built specifically for the job, they're like the aeroplanes which are implied by the existence of airports and used for transport and paradrops.
This said, a military train unit wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'd go for a train-gun rather than a transport unit. Make it a powerful but limited WW2-era artillery piece.

We need air-superiority fighters, and cruise missiles. We also need either transport helicopters and satellites

While it may complicate things that is not a concern for me. I understand that some people would find it unncessary but I think this thread was suppose to be what we would each like, and I would like a train. It is hard for me to assume that trains are there just because there are tracks and I can easily just transport units. It's just not the same. Not to mention it adds more flavor IMO. If I knew the least bit about programming I wouldn't even bother suggesting it because I would just do it myself knowing how so many people here have problems with complicated features, and my train suggestion is FAR from being as overcomplicated as other things are.

That would only serve to complicate things. The existence of a train network is implied by the rails themselves.

Ah, but that is why I did not exclusively refer to military units. Workers, Settlers (although by that point Settlers usually have no use) Missionaries, (this one depends) Great People, Spys....

The military do not need special trains-

i like 11 because earlier planes could equal earlier spying do maybe they will add it

and BTW Dutch Canuck your signature is too long(it needs to be 5 lines or less on normal font) its no big deal but soon you'll get a warning from one of the mods

They should include:

1. Flak (before SAM)
2. Early Tank (WW1 style)
3. Early Fighter (WW1)
4. Early Bomber (WW1)
5. Dive Bomber
6. Torpedo Bomber
7. Strategic Bomber
8. Super Carrier (Nimitz-style)
9. Super-Heavy Battleship (Yamato Class)
10. Dreadnought
11. Early sub (WW1)
12. Nuclear Submarine
13. Light Cruiser
14. AEGIS Cruiser
15. Battle Cruiser
16. Modern Destroyer
17. Heavy Cruiser
18. V1
19. V2
20. Cruise Missile

I'd imagine that to make use of all of those units the late-industrial/modern segment of the tech tree would have to be expanded to be as long as the rest of the tech tree.

I am expecting this part of the technology tree (and earlier) to be expanded but not by that much. While I'd like to see what they can do with the late game I really don't want half the game to be a detailed modern war game.

The trireme and the trebuchet are likely to be added and counted as 'new'.

No, they're not. That's like saying that the Celts, Koreans, Scandinavians, Carthaginians, Zulu, and Ottomanns are among the 10 new civs, and that Churchill, Stalin, Ramesses II, and Augustus Caesar are among the 16 new leaders.

Why does everyone want ninjas to be included? That would either upset the balance of the game because Japan had another UU, or if they were available to everybody, cause ludicrous amounts of cheesiness.
They're probably going to include a lot of future units, like giant robots or futuristic tanks. It might be a little cheesy, but it will still be fun to crush the oponents musketmen with giant robots...

They are including ninjas - it has been confirmed. They will be an early espionage unit.

The Über Laser-Tank. Mechanized unit. Shoots a laser at it's opponents. +100% vs. other tanks. -1000% vs. warrior (of course they just climb up and unplug the electricity)

1) Anti-Tank Gun.
2) Cuirassier.
3) The Executive.
4) Mobile Artillery.
5) Mobile SAM.
6) Paratrooper.
7) Privateer.
8) Tactical Nuke.

Good list, now let's put some more confirmed in it...

9) early spies
10) Great Spy
11) Missile Cruiser
12) Stealth Destroyer
That leaves 3 open spots then.

Good list, now let's put some more confirmed in it...

9) early spies
10) Great Spy
11) Missile Cruiser
12) Stealth Destroyer
That leaves 3 open spots then.

A missile cruiser and stealth destoyer are confirmed? Interesting. Got a linky? :)

Edit: I totaly overlooked the main page's newest anouncement - I must remind myself to read the news! :hammer2: (My game crashed today so I've been pre-occupied :( :badcomp: )

Edit: I totaly overlooked the main page's newest anouncement - I must remind myself to read the news!

I see you don't need a linkie any longer. :lol:
But I did forgot another confirmed unit: the Attack Submarine.

Two to go people (which makes it pretty sure that screenshot showing a mech, an advanced kind of tank and a +3 amount of foot units in a single type of unit is pretty much confirmed to be from a scenario, not from the main (epic) game.)

I take it missile cruisers will carry missiles (which must be another new unit) and attack submarines will carry tactical nukes?

Top Bottom