Resource icon

The Nobles' Club Bullpen: Second Cycle

Lots of people think so -- and the UB isn't so useless in a space race game, if I recall various discussions correctly. Lots of us think the current Panzer is too weak; the old 3-move Panzer may have been too strong, though, especially with Blitz.

Here's a tentative schedule for the rest of the cycle. It was a little tough spreading out the traits now that we're down to the last 1/3, so to fit in Frederick I had to use an AGG leader plus Catherine, contrary to my original plan.
Apr 6: Frederick (Org/Phi)
Apr 20: Brennus (Cha/Spi)
May 4: Huayna Capec (Fin/Ind)
May 18: Shaka (Agg/Exp)
Jun 1: Catherine (Cre/Imp)

Jun 15: Mansa Musa (Fin/Spi)
Jun 29: Genghis Khan (Agg/Imp)
Jul 13: Mehmed II (Exp/Org)
Jul 27: Qin Shi Huang (Ind/Pro)

Aug 10: Lincoln (Cha/Phi)
Aug 24: Justinian I (Imp/Spi)
Sep 7: Pacal II (Exp/Fin)
Sep 21: Gilgamesh (Cre/Pro)
Each of the 3 groups should get one "unusual" map type; I'm open to suggestions for which map and which leader.

For this round of leaders I never figured out what "unusual" map type to try. I was toying with Lakes but am not fond of it, since it seems to have less food than is typical and so can be less fun. But it occurred to me that we once thought that the occasional Large or Small map would be instructive for Nobles. What do y'all think about one of those for one of our four remaining this round (Brennus, Shaka, Huayna, Catherine)? Note: we warn people about map size differences OUTSIDE the map spoiler, so it's obvious. We'd need some advice-for-beginners on how to play a non-Standard map size.

I should be in a position to create the May 4 map sometime in mid-week, so if Brennus is the "unusual" map there is a reasonable amount to discuss which kind to use. Hmm. Maybe Shaka on a Small Pangaea with a challenge to go for an early conquest victory? Impi's speed advantage might make for easy conquest of a few cities, followed by bogging down when the enemy got axes.

Brennus could be fun on a highlands map. It would make the UU/UB a little more useful.

@MrKlew: NC XXX was Boudicca on a highlands; we discovered that I'd have to either shrink the map or add some AIs to take into account that all that extra land gives Immortal level AIs too much unopposed land into which to expand. But that's certainly doable, so I think that'll be the next map.

@Freakz: Do you prefer a standard size map or do you like the suggestion of going with a Large or a Small?

In all honesty, I am not sure, I'm not against the idea of having a large map but you have a wide "fan base".
A small map as shaka though is abit unappealing to be honest :D.

Hey guys - been a bit of a lurker the last month. Installed Windows on my Mac (I know, I'm the devil) and then rediscovered all my old PC games - like CIV! Have been addicted the last month or so.

Anyway - just wondering if it's ok to post in an older Nobles Club thread? I started playing Nobles' Club XCII: Hatshepsut of Egypt on the weekend and have a boatload of questions about the game I'm currently playing.

Hey guys - been a bit of a lurker the last month. Installed Windows on my Mac (I know, I'm the devil) and then rediscovered all my old PC games - like CIV! Have been addicted the last month or so.

Anyway - just wondering if it's ok to post in an older Nobles Club thread? I started playing Nobles' Club XCII: Hatshepsut of Egypt on the weekend and have a boatload of questions about the game I'm currently playing.

It should be fine. Thread necroing(resurrecting an old thread, although this isn't too old) is OK as long as it has a good purpose.

At least we won't have to fight him, though I haven't checked who else we might have to deal with.

Maby we should have shaka or some other psycopath for a neighbour in the next nobels club, might be a good lesson for our lower level on how to deal with an aggressive neighbour.(and a lesson of fustration for our higher level players heheh)

Justinian should be for NC C. I have an interesting save on my laptop from that game somewhere, I'll post it either later today or tomorrow.

Do the opposite of what you did: fill up the New World with early-game strategic resources and make the new one a haven for oil and coal and uranium.

All of these club-wielding explorers will cross the sea on their rickety wooden ships and sigh, "Oh my god, horses, they're actually real, we've had ideas for riding these guys for centuries!"

Alternatively? Always Peace, Cultural wins off.

Top Bottom