1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Unit Select/Order Sounds Lab!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Graphics Modpacks' started by MadmanOfALeader, Oct 25, 2008.

1. MadmanOfALeader

MadmanOfALeader Deity

Kongolese don't speak Swahili. Shouldn't you wait for a Swahili civ to pop up?

2. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

You are just flat out wrong. Look it up.

They don't ONLY speak Swahili, and it is not an official language, but they speak it there.

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I'll try to gather all the stuff I have by this weekend, it shouldn't be too hard. Also, unfortunately as I said above since I don't have recording instruments I can't record Vietnamese... and even then I think my accent is much worse than the Vietnamese select/order sounds that I already have. The only advantage is that I'd be able to make a more direct translation of the original Firaxis select/order sounds.

Also, I am pretty certain that it would only make sense for Swahili to be spoken in the eastern parts of Congo, since that region is closer to the actual Swahili city-states. However, I think it's fine to use Swahili anyways because firstly, Swahili is in the same family (Bantu) as a lot of languages in Kongo, and, secondly, I don't think it really matters that much anyways whether you use Swahili or not for the Kongolese. First of all, it is pretty much impossible to find anybody who knows Kongolese or any audio records of Kongolese online, and secondly, we're not Firaxis, so we don't need Kongolese - just something that is pretty close would suffice.

4. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Agreed about the Kongolese. And what people don't realize when they crap on ideas like that is that (a) its A LOT better than using French or the Zulu order/select sounds for the Congo civ and (b) if its all I have to use its all I have to use. I don't know what else they expect me to use instead, but whatever it is they either can't produce or can't find, so I don't know why they'd do that.

5. IgorS

IgorS Your ad could be here!

In Turkmenistan they speak Turkmen, so why did you write "Uzbek"? Or did you mean to say "Timurids"?

6. IgorS

Capo, look in this thread- we already have Italian sounds recorded by a native-speaker.

EDIT: There's a link in the first post, actually!

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

What I meant by that was that I used the Uzbek language for my Turkmenistan civ, and I am fully aware of the fact that Uzbek =/= Turkmen. I tried to get the closest I could.

However, I may think of changing "Turkmenistan" to Timurids or maybe something else completely; though I don't think that that's too important at this point. Since it's so difficult to get any audio recordings of these lesser spoken languages, sometimes anything would suffice.

8. IgorS

You have a Turkmenistan civ? Did you check out my Kazakhs and Uzbeks? You might be interested in these too.

9. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Hey everyone! NubianMerc came through with the Polynesian (Samoan to be specific) Order/Select sounds. There is some slight static in them though, and they aren't named properly yet so I was wondering if any of you guys could take a look at these for me and try to clean them up and rename them properly? That would be awesome if you could. Here they are. :goodjob:

10. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Hey, TheCapo, I just realized that my SelectOrder sounds HAVE NOT been classified as of yet (i.e. I haven't renamed them Select or Order). Do you want them as is, or do you want to wait a bit more so I can try to rename them sometime soon?

11. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Are you talking about the Vietnamese sounds? If so I'd prefer them to be named properly, but if you can't do it (I can't really think of a reason why you couldn't, other than time constraints) you can post them and I'm sure I can get someone else to do it.

12. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

^Actually all of the ones you wanted, unfortunately (I forgot that I had to redownload all the Select Order sounds after my computer crashed).

But I don't think it should be too terribly hard, and I'll try to get it done sometime early this week.

13. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Well I wanted Vietnam, Polynesia, and Iroquois. And I have Polynesia now, are you saying you can also do Iroquois? I'm pretty sure you yourself would be doing the Vietnamese ones, correct?

EDIT: Now that I think about it, does anyone know what language the Civ IV Native Americans use? I am assuming it is the Sioux because in the ORIGINAL concept art I think they had planned on making a Crazy Horse as well as a Sitting Bull so I assuming the original idea was for the Sioux.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

No, I don't have Iroqouis, just Vietnam; so if its just Vietnam, I may be able to get it done tonight.

15. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Don't rush yourself, because the mod won't even be ready for a month or two (probably more than that, but hopefully not) so you have at least that long. Although it would make it a but more fun for me and the playtesters if you finished it soon because the first playtest will go out pretty shortly.

16. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

Hey guys,

Also - if any of you guys (notably The Capo) wants some more sounds done: whether it be: Hawaiian, Maori, Tongan etc... Any Polynesian language. My mate speaks fluent Te Reo (Maori) and I can basically offer an authentic Hawaiian/Tongan accent as well.

Cheers.

17. RobinHat

RobinHat Warlord

If anyone is interested in Danish sounds I'll be happy to record some.

18. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Record them.

19. rockinroger

rockinroger WoC Team Member

That would be great!!!!!!!!!

20. NubianMercenary

NubianMercenary Warlord

I've always liked the sound of Danish :)!