The Official Unit Select/Order Sounds Lab!

I'm as flabbergasted about the Native American sounds as you are, NikNaks. I'd have to assume it's Lakhota, if only only because Sitting Bull spoke it.

I'm suprised no Australians, Canadians, Scots or Irish have put in English-language sounds. We could also have sounds in a Southern American accent for a Confederacy civ.

I just had a new idea.

What if we had another list of the same sounds, but spoken by another person? We wouldn't need to do it for all the civs, but would be a nice touch anyway. So American Select/Order Sounds 010-019 could be spoken by an African-American (we were talking about American flavor units having two white guys and a black guy) and Canadian Select/Order Sounds 010-019 could be spoken by a Québécois French speaker. Maybe we could have another accent for the Germans (not Bavarian; that would be better for the Austrian select/order sounds).

Since there are a couple of Star Trek mods, I wrote some text in Klingon. What do you guys think? Would Klingons say this?

Order 000- "qaneHbogh net."
Order 001- "Ha'!"
Order 002- "bej."
Order 003- "vIta'lI'."
Order 004- "qay'be'."
Order 005- "rIn 'e' DaHarlaHneS"
Order 006- "majQa'"
Order 007- "HemajDaq."
Order 008- "ghoSchoH!"
Order 009- "juvoqlaHneS."

Select 000- "ghIghlIj maghuHpu'."
Select 001- "pItoy'qang."
Select 002- "vIta'niS 'e' ja'neS."
Select 003- "Qu'lIj maloS."
Select 004- "mavangruppu'"
Select 005- "nuq nab?"
Select 006- "nuqjatlh?"
Select 007- "Qu'lIj?"
Select 008- "'ut nuq?"
Select 009- "saHlu'pu' je' qellu'pu' Hochpu'."

Afrikaans (South Africa):

Order 000- "Soos jy beveel."
Order 001- Damn it I don't know. I tried. :D
Order 002- "Sekerlik."
Order 003- "Ons maak so!"
Order 004- "Geen probleem."
Order 005- "Ag dit gedoen!"
Order 006- "Goed so."
Order 007- "Ons is op pad!"
Order 008- "Loop!"
Order 009- "Jy kan op ons staatmaak."

Select 000- "Ons staan reg."
Select 001- "Tot jou beskikking."
Select 002- "Gee ons 'n opdrag."
Select 003- "Ons wag vir jou bevel."
Select 004- "Gereed vir aksie!"
Select 005- "Wat is die plan?"
Select 006- "Ja?"
Select 007- "Jou bevel?"
Select 008- "Wat het jy nodig?"
Select 009- "Ons is hier."

I should mention that Afrikaans is not appropriate for a modern South Africa civ; Zulu- or Xhosa-accented English is far better. Afrikaans should be used solely for the Afrikaner/Boer civ.
Normally it is not a question of how good your microphone is, but how good your software ist. For example I use a quite cheap microphone myself, but when using it with skype or another good software, it's good enough. And of course nobody does like his own voice, so I think this is part of the reason, why you think, your microphone isn't good. Just give it a try with different software, you can say afterwards you have a bad microphone. ;) Btw, I allways like the saxonian dialect, it's really funny. ;)
Go die in a fire. :mad:

:lol:

It definitely matters how good your mic is. More than software. Windows Sound Recorder will do just fine, so long as you have a decent mic. A decent mic will set you back a few hundred dollars, plus you'll need a sound card that can supply phantom power. :p

South Africa, due to the presence of the Native African Zulus, would be mostly an Afrikaner civ in Civ IV.

It's like that gag in "The Goode Family" where the guys adopt a kid from Africa, only to realize they got a kid from South Africa.

South Africa, due to the presence of the Native African Zulus, would be mostly an Afrikaner civ in Civ IV.

It's like that gag in "The Goode Family" where the guys adopt a kid from Africa, only to realize they got a kid from South Africa.
What about Rome vs Italy? Celts vs England? In fact, what about Celts vs England vs Native America vs America?

The Western English demographic (here including modernised Black as well as White people) outnumbers the Afrikaner one in South Africa.

South Africa, historically, has been dominated by both the English and the Boers. In fact, I believe that during apartheid, English and Afrikaner were the official languages. (That's after Cetshwayo fell, anyway).

I think Afrikaner sounds would help to distinguish an SA civ from the other Commonwealth nations as well as other African civ. It would be pretty much the only white African civ, and the only Commonwealth nation which speaks messed up Dutch.

Add to that the fact that Paul Kruger would be one of the leaders.

South Africa, historically, has been dominated by both the English and the Boers. In fact, I believe that during apartheid, English and Afrikaner were the official languages. (That's after Cetshwayo fell, anyway).

I think Afrikaner sounds would help to distinguish an SA civ from the other Commonwealth nations as well as other African civ. It would be pretty much the only white African civ, and the only Commonwealth nation which speaks messed up Dutch.

Add to that the fact that Paul Kruger would be one of the leaders.
A minor note: the name of the language is Afrikaans; the name of the nation of Afrikaans-speaking Whites is either Afrikaans or Afrikaner.

I hear you on the distinguishing matter. Having a handful of Civilizations which are ethnically pretty much homogenous is boring, for gameplay and flavour.

I should point out, though, that if you were to make it an Afrikaans civ, and have Paul Kruger as a leader, you can't really call that a South African civ. Paul Kruger was president of the South African Republic, which was only later absorbed into what is now the Republic of South Africa (confusing much? :D). The ZAR was founded as breaking away from the Cape Colony, which is arguably (moreso than the ZAR) the real root of the modern RSA.

If you want Afrikaans and Paul Kruger and Boer Commandos, you are talking about an Afrikaner or Boer civ. If you want modern South Africa, you are talking about a South African civ, with leaders like Nelson Mandela, FW de Klerk and Jan van Riebeeck.
messed up Dutch
:lol: Hou jou bek, jou soutpiel bliksem. :p

If you want Afrikaans and Paul Kruger and Boer Commandos, you are talking about an Afrikaner or Boer civ. If you want modern South Africa, you are talking about a South African civ, with leaders like Nelson Mandela, FW de Klerk and Jan van Riebeeck.

This is if you really want to be super-realistic. In my game I have a South Africa civ with Paul Kruger as leader. I gave them South African city names and the flavour units are both black and white. If you ask why I don't use Mandela- I just don't like using living people as leaders in a historic game like Civilization. Anyway, I do understand you and what you are saying. I, for example, also oppose people using both David/Solomon and Ben-Gurion as leaders for Israel, since there is a difference between Israelite and Israeli. But people aren't always interested in total realism. I mean, there are people who want a Gamal Abdel Nasser LH so he can be an Egyptian leader alongside Hatshepsut and Ramesses.
Anyway, MADMAN, I have recorded Finnish sounds and I'll upload them soon. I'll record more sounds of European civ too.

I, for example, also oppose people using both David/Solomon and Ben-Gurion as leaders for Israel, since there is a difference between Israelite and Israeli.

Hey, that's what I did!!!

Mostly because I think it would be stupid to have an Israeli and Israelite civ in one game. And I like to throw in a modern leader from time to time just to make it a bit more interesting (in case somebody wants to play with all modern leaders and start in Industrial era for example). I am making a Nasser LH too and in my mod he will be an Arab rather than Egyptian leader. Ptolemy will be added as an Egyptian leader even though he was a Hellene.

Hey, that's what I did!!!

Mostly because I think it would be stupid to have an Israeli and Israelite civ in one game.

I agree with this too. This is why in my game I play with a modern Israel civ (no David and Solomon, only modern cities, UU is the PalMach, UB is the Kupat Kholim).

I noticed that the link to the hungarian unit sounds is dead. This happened due to the fact that adrive changed its rules that ways that files are public for a limited time only. I reuploaded the sounds to somewhere else. If you like, update your first post with this: http://www.mediafire.com/file/inyk4znwwil/Units.7z

This is partly a bump and partly a request.

I'd like to know if there are any Vietnamese Order/Select sounds out there, and hopefully there are because, well, I've seen a bunch of Vietnamese CFC members and I know there are a bunch of Vietnamese modules out there so I'm hoping someone made Order/Select sounds.

I kind of also need Polynesian, and Iroquois too.

I'm still wondering what that Native American language Firaxis uses is... my guess is Lakhota, but that's only because Sitting Bull spoke it.

One of the Poland mods has a Polish sound set.

Polynesia doesn't have a dialect, so I suggest you take the Hawaiin one, or request Tongan/Fijan/Samoan/whatever one.

One of the Poland mods has a Polish sound set.

Polynesia doesn't have a dialect, so I suggest you take the Hawaiin one, or request Tongan/Fijan/Samoan/whatever one.

Is there a Hawaiian or Tongan or Fijian or Samoan sound set out there?

Cuz ideally I could mix them up.

Fiji isn't Polynesia, though!

I think either Hawaiian or Samoan would be the best language.

Yeah, Madman is right. Here is a map, not that it will help becuase I doubt there are any of these languages recorded. But here it is none-the-less:

So could anyone help me out with this? If not what language should I use from the regular civs then?

Top Bottom