The Omotesando

Asano leaps from the buckboard and enters the bushes, "Hello Riko" he said softly, "Are we always to meet when I least expect it?"

"I'm sorry," Riko said as she placed her hand on Asano chest and went up on her toes to look over his shoulder, "who's the horseman with you?" she said, now looking him in the eye.

Asano glances at Oishi, "He is my brother, as I have known him since childhood. He is also my partner in crime."

Riko frowns slightly as there is an obvious diference in the two men. She thinks he must mean they are very close, not actually brothers. And what's this about a crime? "If he's with you, I trust him. But I need to speak with you. Alone and soon. Also, I believe there is a government official after me. Can you stay and talk?"

"'Fraid not, milady. I need to attend to urgent business. If you need refuge from the government, join the crowd." Asano looks to Oishi again, who is checking out the road leading to Immo. Then back at Riko, "Nice horse you have here. Hmm, tell you what. Ride out this road about an hour and you will see a large house with a barn and other out-buildings. Go there and wait for my return. The house is all locked up but you will find plenty to do. There are horses in the stables, plenty of water, and...", he says with a smile, "there's even some fruit trees in case you get hungry."

Riko's head turned, one side of her large smile turned downward, to which she added a slight blush. "Ok, I'll wait for you there."

Back on the road again, the wagon caught up with Oishi. "Who was that?" To which Asano cleared his throat and slapped the reins on the backs of the horses. "That was Riko. Possibly a new partner..." Oishi raises an eyebrow.

Asano ran his thoughts past Oishi, not loud enough for anyone else to hear, but definitely loud enough to keep Oishi’s interest. The Samurai listened intently, scanning the road and surrounding area as they made their way into town. “Very interesting, Asano-sama. You devise wise plans, I think I’ll keep you around for a while,” he said with a chuckle.

The two rode right through town, passing the Omo. Immo was on the front porch again, playing his flute. He stood when he recognized Asano on the buckboard. Asano watched Immo rise with a concerned and questioning look on his face, so he put out a gloved hand in a gesture that said “hold on”. He then glanced in the rear of the wagon and then back at Immo. As Immo saw the package, he gave an acknowledging nod and returned to his seat. Oishi had seen it all out of the corner of his eye, but did not reveal his awareness. The two kept on going to the West end of town. As they reached the outskirts of town, two figures could be seen tending their horses under a lone and looming tree. This would be the lieutenants asked for in the message, as standard operating procedure (SOP) for reporting to a town with no contact point, was to wait by the road leading into the town. This was one of Oishi’s procedures that Asano liked. It made it easy to find incoming parties or messengers. Oishi received their report and then filled them in what was happening. The party then rode back to the Omo and dismounted. With no words spoken, one lieutenant entered first and went to the back wall, followed by Oishi, and then Asano carrying the package. The last lieutenant stayed by the door. Again, simple SOP.

Immo had been behind the counter and watched the whole scene take place. His first reaction was interest, in a quizzical kind of way. When he saw the package, he leaned into the office asked Diana to watch the bar. Asano never slowed down, rounding the bar and walking straight into Immo’s office. He placed the covered statue upright on the desk, and stepped back. “Immo-san, I present you with your prize,” he said hand extended towards the desk.

In an almost ceremonial procedure, Immo unwrapped the Jade Eagle. Memories rushed past him as he gazed at the statue. After several moments of silence, Asano approached and put his hand on Immo’s shoulder. “You have earned our respect and our protection. Let us know if you need us.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After rounding up the needed supplies, further orders were given and the four men headed out of town towards the compound. Moving past the location they had run into Riko at, Asano says, “You know, Oishi. We’re going to have to come up with a name for our new home. I don’t want to call it home or Headquarters. What do you think?”

Smiling, he replied, “Let me think on it a while.”

Immo had waited days for word from Asano, anything that might indicate he was sucessful. Immo had prided himself on being reliant only upon himself, but lately he had felt different, this new face, Asano, Immo actually wondered of the well-being of this man. A stranger, he had wandered into the bar just a few weeks ago and already Immo felt as though this Asano was going to be a big player in the town in the coming months, as the season of falling leaves approached. With it would come the frost, Immo, an isolated oasis in the desert, would see the arrival of the wealthy aristocrats of Fanatukku. They would bring their money, and their intrigue, with them. Immo considered getting his Jo staff from storage and starting practice again.

"You look a little preoccupied" Diana spoke from in front of him, leaning down to be eye level with Immo, who was leaning on the surface of the bar.

"I wonder sometimes how all this came to be. Why are we here?" He inquired, as if DIana knew the answer.

"You need to do get out of this town, you know what? WHen we learn about Asano's where abouts, and that matter is resolved, there is something I must ask of you." Diana cleared her face of her hair while she spoke. Immo couldnt help but hear the desperation in her tone.

"I need to take a break is what i need to do" Immo stood up, and walked to his office, he grabbed his flute from the countertop next to his bed and walked to the bar.Picking up the sheet of paper with the orders for this week. It was going to be an expensive week, so much sake to replace.

"Some tea?" Diana called out with a smile, holding up the kettle and cup.

"Yep, I would" Grabbing the cup diana had already poured for him and walking outside.

He had sat no more than ten minutes before a wagon had passed in front of the bar, at first Immo did not recognize Asano, but a wave of relief followed after the realization. Quietly Immo sat back down, he saw the covered "gift" in the back of the wagon. Immo did his best not to yell WHOOPIE! at its sight.

An hour past before Asano, this time followed by two horsebacked men dressed in military gear. Immo swallowed hard and immediately thought them Michiwara's men coming to behead everyone in the bar. Immo walked back into the bar thinking about running off, but reconsidering after a moment of insanity.

Immo was standing at the bar when the four figures walked in, the recognized one walked with one of the military individuals into the back, while the other unknown face stayed in the front. "watch the bar" Immo shouted to Diana as Asano walked in carrying a covered object, immense, looking heavy. Immo didnt need to think to know his dreams had come true.

Asano stood next to the object while Immo carefully removed the bundling from around it, first a green-blue wing, long and sharp, strong feathers textured with a precision modern artists could never match. Then the other wing, as the first, so powerful, it was priceless in history and immense in significance. Finally the beak, the face of the eagle, Immo felt like falling down, hugging the statue with such strength he feared it would break.

“You have earned our respect and our protection. Let us know if you need us.” Asano said, Immo barely heard him. He turned and shook his head, he would travel to the Michiwara compound to thank him later, Asano and his friends would be welcome here, what they did here would matter not.

For now, all Immo could think of was his prize, his family, his father....

"I need to see him."

A week has passed since Pelon and Seizo had lost track of Riko at the Shinto Shrine. Noldodan had also shown up, probably tracking Riko. Seizo had seen Riko running down an alley and Noldodan had run after her. After that Pelon and Seizo had tried to question Michiko, but she had clammed up and refused to talk. After that night she rarely left the Shrine.

Pelon had tracked down a few other Japanatican revolutionaries. He had talked to some, threatened others, in general warned them thay Internal Security was on to them. Most of them had been terrified that Int Sec might arrest them, but Pelon promised that as long as they ended all revolutionary activity ASAP, no harm would come there way. Only one man, a low level clerk at some government office had resisted in any way. Pelon had defended himself, and Seizo had taken care of the body.

Pelon visited the Omo a few times, looking for leads on this Asano man. He found nothing. Immo refused to talk to him, and Diana was polite, but never gave away any information. Seizo and Pelon would keep up surveillance on the Omo and the Shrine, but nothing came up. Noldodan had also dissappeared.

Then one afternoon, Asano returned. Pelon was sitting on a rock next to the river, a block down from the Omo. Asano didnt even notice him. With something stolen. Pelon could tell by the way Immo had eyed it, and by the way Asano and his goons where guarding it. Pelon smiled, then frowned. His past had a tendency of creeping up on him like that. Pelon could remember performing drops like the one Asano was about to do.

Seizo appeared next to him and looked at Pelon.

"Seizo, I need to find out what that is. I also need to fine Comnenus and Noldodan. Please, I need you to go to Fanatikku and FIND THEM. Go. Go now." Seizo nodded and left. Twenty mins later Pelon saw Seizo and his brown warhorse thunder by, on the road west to Fanatikku. A few minutes later Asano and his men left, taking the road to the east.

Pelon sighed and said to himself. "Time to face the music. Get in there. Make peace with Immo."

Pelon walked towards the Omo and placed his hand on the doorknob...

"*ahem* I need to get my affairs in order before I go anywhere" Immo thought as he sat quietly,

"maybe father will suffice with a letter, it has been almost a year since last time I had seen him though, I should go"

For now, Immo had to concern himself with his pre-travel affairs, who will run the Omo, who will care for Diana, naturally she cannot leave.

As Immo stepped out of his office he saw a familiar face standing at the bar, Pelion.

"well hello there Pel, are you well?"

As the four men rode onto the compound, Asano pulled up next to the water tower. The lieutenents would see to the gear, the horses, and the supplies. Oishi made a quick perimeter check and then returned to the barn. Riko stepped out of the stables as Asno approached. He knew she would be in there. They moved into the stables, out of the sunlight simultaneously.

"How are you?" Asano asked as he removed hid gloves. "Did you have any trouble finding this place?"

"No, it was just as you said," was Riko reply as she inspected her host. "I've spent most of the time telling Babylonian fables to the horses. They seem to like them."

"Heheheh. Fables in the stables. It has a ring to it." Asano looked out the door and then back to Riko, "So we're alone now. Briefly, what was it you wanted to talk with me about?"

This is what Riko had really been thinking about for the last several hours. She climbed up on a stack of hay and pulled off her boots. "Well, it's like this..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later, the smell of food had drawn people naturally to the house. The two lieutenants had fixed a meal from the supplies to feed all five of them. Riko, Oishi, and Asano ate in the main dining room. The lietenants ate elsewhere.

"So, weren't you just looking for land here in Immo? How did you come across this magnificent property?" asked Riko as Oishi poured the wine.

"Let's just say we inherited it." answered Asano. "Toast. To the new owners." as he raised his glass. The toast was met and the dinner began. Asano spoke of how he and Oishi were business partners from way back. They had pulled many capers, some if not most were considered illegal, but they always turned a hefty profit, enough to support a large amount of trained men."

Riko's eyes grew large as she listened. A tinge of fear ran down the back of her neck. She hadn't expected a story like this to unfold from these men. But she now gave them more credit than she had before. They had both been so civilized. Riko mentally slapped herself in the forehead, thinking "Pay attention, Riko."

Pelon stepped into the Omo. Since it was early in the day it was empty, save for Diana and Immo, who where behind the bar. As Pelon walked to towards tha bar, Immo nodded at Diana, who sliently stepped into the office.

Pelon looked at Immo and nodded "well hello there Pel, are you well?"

"Im fine Immo, thank you for asking..." Pelon looked down went over his next words in his mind... "Look. Im sorry about that IS guy snooping around here. I did my best to get him away from you and your buisness. I trust you, but he doesnt. I dont know why, but he thinks that you are a turncoat. And I have to ask this... are you??"

Immo looked into Pelons eyes and around the bar. Pelons bodyguard was nowhere around. Could Pelon be trusted?? If he had really kept IS off Immos back, then linking him to the death of Michiwara would be hard, as would linking him to Asano.

"Step into my office Pelon..." Immo said as he slid into the back room.

Pelon warily walked into Immos office. Diana was there. sitting on a couch. On the desk was a large package covered in paper and a worn blanket. A small corner of it was not covered, it was handcarved Jade, ad was large. Only a few

The Jade Eagle

Pelons mind raced back almost 20 years, to that night. Pelon and Seizo and the rest of the squad. All dressed in the black. Weapons at ready. The rain soaking through their clothes. The unmistakable *thud* of a sentry falling dead. Michiwara ordering them to spare none. The poor thieves, experts at breaking into Michiwara estate, had up a fight. Great thieves, terrible fighters. They had stolen the Jade Eagle from the Michiwara estate only days before, and had set up camp in the jungles north of Fanatikku. It had been a simple matter to track them down. Killing them was even easier. Pelon had killed three of them, and had enjoyed it... the last one had begged for his life... The Jade Eagle, a beautiful icon for a dying religion. It wasnt even Michiwaras, but he had paided them well. No one had ever found the thieves bodies, nor had the theft of the Jade Eagle been discovered by anyone other than Michiwara and his closest aids.

Immo and Diana where staring at Pelon. He was shaking, his hands clenched into tight fists. His eyes stared unblinking aimlessly. Something had set him off. This peaceful founder of the Zenedoshou had dark secret.

"Pelon??" Immo quietly said. Pelon touched his left arm, just below his shoulder, and looked at at Diana and Immo. "Yes Immo, pardon me, I remembered something from my youth." Pelon forced a smile and nodded at Diana "Hello Goddess of the Hunt an Moon." and winked. Immo cleared his throat and motioned for Pelon to sit.

"I am a loyal Japanatican citizen, my dear Pelon. Despite what your IS "friend" might say, I have never plotted against the government. I know Riko and a few others have, but turning them in might have brought me more trouble than I could handle. However, you and Noldodan seem to have taken care of them. I am NOT a traitor to Japanatica. I hope you can trust me." Pelon nodded. "I do. I stood up to Noldodan. And you know the reputation that IS has..."

Immo smiled "I know. I thank you. I might be leaving this fair city for a few days, and I was hoping of you might come in and check up on Diana."

"I would be glad to, friend Immo" Pelon said...

After seeing for himself the growing dissent going on in Immo, and deciding he was no match for it even with Pelon's help, Noldodan reports back to IS Headquarters in Fanatikku. There, he iwas debriefed by none other than the feared head of IS himself, a man that only known as "Lepsurusti" or "copper-fingers" (OOC: Closest thing I could find to "brass knuckles"). Myth and the unknown surrounded the man, from the language of origin of his name to why the Despot chose to keep him around, heading up IS. All in all, however, he cut a pretty imposing figure by reputation alone, even to an IS agent like Noldodan. Perhaps that was enough to explain his next actions. Perhaps…

“Sir? A Noldodan is here to see you. He says he’s one of your agents, but he looks like a ruffian to me. Could be an assassin, or--”

“Shaddap. Show him in, then find me a new secretary.”

“A new secretary? But surely you don’t need two, I barely have enough to do as it is. If you had two secretaries--

“I won’t. You’re fired.”

“But--”

“Go now, or I’ll have to ‘encourage’ you.”

“Yes sir,” the secretary says as she plods out to the waiting room. “You can go in now, Mr. Noldodan.”

“Thank you. Could you get me some of that new wine? I’ve been dying to try it ever since I heard about that new drink…”

“Yes sir, right away sir.”

Satisfied, Noldodan heads into the office and sits down in front of the large mahogany desk. “Your funding must be really dropping off to have a secretary like her. I remember your old secretary: smart, pretty, single… Whatever happened to her, anyway?”

“She tried to kill me. We’re not sure who her employer was exactly, but it was around the time the Babs were threatening. She was kindly put out of the Ministry. In several pieces, actually.” There’s a long, pointed pause while Lepsu waits for Noldodan to laugh at the joke. Seeing what his boss wants, Noldodan laughs quietly. Satisfied, Lepsu goes on, “Right down to business then. You’ve been in Immo for quite a while. What have you found?”

“That things may be worse than we thought. There are at least 2 subversive groups in the area, and they may have recently acquired land nearby.”

“Dear sweet Eru! I might have to send the military in to clear that out, and you can imagine what kind of outcry that would cause.”

“Lepsu! You’ve never cared for public opinion before. I think you might be going soft.”

“Soft! Me! Never! If you only knew what I have to do to keep order: even in the capital! We don’t have the troops to spare for an insurrection, even in Immo. You’re going to have to use the IS response team we have here in Fanatikku. I just hope nothing happens here while it’s away, or we’re in trouble. I need a full report before I send it out though, so continue.”

“I actually came very close to the major operatives, perhaps the leaders, of the factions. There was a Babylonian woman named Riko there, working with a Shinto Priestess named Michiko. Riko is easily underestimated, and highly dangerous. She seems to be well-connected in Immo, and is communicating with other Babylonian operatives. She was last seen running form the Shinto shrine in Immo.” He pauses to wait for Lepsu to digest the information. Seeing his nod, Noldo goes on, “The other faction is led by a man named Asano. His information suggests he may be working with a network, but I think he’s just good at listening. I also suspect that he has a number of men, possibly mercenaries, that he can call on at need, and he may be doing so soon.”

“So, is that all you have to say about the situation there? It doesn’t look good at all from what you’ve told me. Is there anything good happening in Immo?”

“I wouldn’t say good, but there may be some help available. There’s a Military operative in the area, but it looks like he’s been forgotten about, hasn’t been contacted in months. I don’t know how much he can help, but he could be useful.”

“Anything else? Good. Well, I think we can snuff out this rebellion right now if we send the whole response team. You’ll be meeting with them tomorrow, and leaving the day after.”

“Thank you, sir. I’ll be getting some rest now if you don’t mind, it’s been a hard trip.” He sees Lepsu nod, then turns on his heel to exit. He thought himself quite lucky to have come out of the office alive. If Lepsu had learned he had let Immo go, he would have paid for it dearly.

“Mr. Noldodan? I have your wine now.”

“Thank you, ….?”

“I’d prefer if you didn’t know me.”

“Ah. I’ll be going then.” Sipping on his wine, he thought about the possibilities. That secretary would be very amenable to bringing down Lepsu. If only he could get some more support for his own ends, he would have Lepsu’s job… and the power that came with it. All he had to do was snuff out this rebellion and-- Wait! Was that--?

“You! Pelon’s Aide? What are you doing here?” Seizo starts making signs in the air. “Oh… you can’t speak. Fortunately, I know sign language… Pelon wants to meet with me again? About Asano? Tell him I’m leaving for Immo in two days, with help.” Seizo nods, then runs back to his horse. “So he will help. That’s good. Now, if only I can pull this thing off…”

Jack Ijumo walks up to the bar and says to the tender:I'll take some Oranhe Fruit Juice please!
And he also asks who should i talk to for adventures?

Diana had watched Jack come through the door and saunter up to the bar. She smiled as she poured a Juice for him. "Adventure? Hmmm, not much of that going on around here. Where are you from,...and what's your trade, sir?"

Jack Ijumo said to Diana "I am fron the captial. I have joined the glorious army of Japanactica. I would like some pork please.Isn't a war with Babylon coming up?"

Diana sliced some hot steaming pork for the man and set it in front of him. "Army, huh?", she said in a low voice. "Foot soldier? Or are you proficient with a horse, maybe a bow?" The aroma of the pork filled the air and Jack immediately started eating, smiling and nodding his head.

Diana smiled politely. "There may be a war with Babylon, but then again, there may not be. Either way, we'd like you to come see us as much as possible."

Jack Ijumo said "I am proficent with a sword. My Dad is one of the Generals in the Japanatican Army. So i was raised like a soldier. And i am also signing up for the Legion Tournment! The Pork is delcious."

Diana had waited a week for word from Immo, she recieved a message saying only a few words "Jade Falcon, Fanatikku. Immo."

In the night one evening she had bundled it with her and left in the night.

When Asano arrived the next morning, he saw Immo's entire office cleared out, no word of where Diana went, no word of if she or Immo would return.

Dinner went well. Conversations ranged from Riko’s past to Oishi’s love of fishing. Asano was running the proposal Riko had made in the stables through his mind as he ate. Although he had figured her to be part of liberation movement, he hadn’t considered the notion of her offering him the position of spearheading the operation. That was completely counter-productive to the plans he had made for the future. There were incentives enough, as the leadership position may have allowed a sense of legendary status, but when you considered the odds of success in light of Japanatica’s discovery of Iron and its uses, the shining light of revolution dimmed considerably. The Babylonian population in this end of the world was mostly unarmed and scattered. Communication would be slow and difficult, organization would meet deadlock, even if their hearts were in it. The plan that Asano had discussed with Oishi that morning would reap more benefits all the way around. Instead of thousands dead with little gained, a stronger and more prosperous outlook was possible.

“Oishi, could you send off the first bird?” asked Asano, to which Oishi rose silently, bowed to Riko and left the room. There were actually no birds to release; Oishi was to send off a lieutenant to collect the first party of mercenaries from Ako. The day of the taking two birds had been released, just as before, asking for the lieutenants. But these birds carried a different message. They ordered the base to move en masse to this new location. Engineers and support were to caravan by wagon through Immo and head East. Troops were to break up into small groups and move cross-country by night to the river and follow it North until it broke East. There, they should wait. It was there the lieutenant would meet them and direct them back to the compound. The other lieutenant would meet the caravan and bring them back.

“So, I have a counter-proposal for you, if your Leadership should be interested”, said Asano smiling at Riko, who had been waiting for some kind of response to her offer. The wine had set an atmosphere of friendliness, so conversations were done with listening eyes and waiting smiles. “I want to offer you a bloodless revolution. One in which a free life can be merged with the safety of hard work and acceptance.”

Now Riko was sorry she had had the glass of wine. “Please go on, my friend”, she said as she shifted in her chair.

“I propose that a gathering occur of the Babylonian slave population right here at this compound. Not as a rally point to send them to their slaughter, but as an ethnic base for self-liberation, of sorts. I have got plans for this compound, and I hope that we can work together to bring these plans to fruition.” He went on to describe a future of co-mingling and self-government within the confines of this large compound. Her Chieff would be welcomed as a Leader, Riko could coordinate operations, and substructures could be formed in the overall goal of advancement of everyone involved. In essence, any and all Babylonian slaves, freed or not, could come hear and earn their keep by working within the substructures set up in cooperation with the compound. They would be free to come and go, but slackers would be cast out, and dissenters would be dealt with appropriately. If they chose, they could join the mercenary ranks as a recruit, build with the engineers, or work the fields and rivers. In return they could expect protection from outsiders, as well as room and board. Bonus incentives would depend on crops and the yearly returns of the farms. That was Asano’s counter-proposal of a bloodless revolution, as a total package.

“Please take the horse of your choosing when you are ready and deliver this proposal to your Chieff or Council of Elders. When and if you return, simply tell the guards the bird has brought you a message from me. I shall await your answer,” he said rising and placing a hand on Riko’s shoulder. “This could be the first step to a great enterprise… and personal freedom.”

SaaMsan finally returns to the Omotesando. "Barkeep!" he says quietly, with a hand on his forehead "I need a drink..."
A drink slides down SaaMsans way. He keeps massaging his forehead. "Oy Gavult. Yiddish hasn't even been invented yet and I'm kvetching and kvelling. I've been having these weird dreams. I wonder if anyone in here is a dream reader."
SaaMsan said this last part very loudly. Is there anyone in here that's a dream reader? SaaMsans been having some pretty weird dreams.

Diana snapped to and looked at Saamsan. Wondering when she would hear for Immo was not selling drinks...

Walking slowly towards Saamsan, she says "I've spent so much time in men's dreams, I've become pretty good at interpreting them. Let me see if I can help you."

SaaMsan has been approached by a woman named Diana. Having not frequented the pub for a while, he is unaware of all the subplots involving her, but decides to see if she can help anyway.

"What do you propose we do to help ease these odd dreams?" he asks.

Diana responds

Diana wathches Saamsan as he reels off this story about dreams with foreign sounding words sprinkled throughout. His speach makes him sound more like a Grandmother than a young man. Hmmm.

"I wouldn't worry about it too much, sir. Strange dreams have a way of disappearing. It sounds to me like you felt trapped in an environment where the people you knew weren't really in touch with you. They just watched from a distance. So you had a character you have some respect for come into the picture. It seems the Asano character wanted you to plant your feet firmly on the ground, and remove your self-imposed "glass ceiling". I'm not sure about the duck/penquin thing. That might be because of the way you waddle when you walk, who knows." Diana moves closer to Saamsan. "As to why your friends are having similar dreams", she shrugs, "maybe they're closer to you than you think....."

"Getcha another drink?"

"Hit me. I might need it just to knock myself out for the night" SaaMsan replies. "Now why would my friends be stuck in my dreams, or me in theirs? Could it be stress? I keep having this other weird dream about a building called ETS in a place called Princeton. I have a strange obsession with burning it down. Anything on that one? Or am I just crazy."

Top Bottom