The only two things in the game that go obsolete

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
This is not shown anywhere in the tech tree or civlopedia entries for the wonders or techs, nor does the city UI indicate a wonder you've built is obsolete. I stumbled across it when looking through the game files.

Navigation: Colossus.
Metallurgy: Great Wall.

Colossus tells you on the tooltip when you go to build it that it goes obsolete.

Personally, I don't get why it even goes obsolete.

Colossus is a weak enough wonder without going obsolete. It makes water tiles in just one city with a lighthouse as good as grasslands with a trading post.

Honestly, I see no reason to ever work water tiles in Civ V or build a lighthouse unless there are a minimum of two sea resources available to the city.

Colossus is a weak enough wonder without going obsolete. It makes water tiles in just one city with a lighthouse as good as grasslands with a trading post.

Honestly, I see no reason to ever work water tiles in Civ V or build a lighthouse unless there are a minimum of two sea resources available to the city.

Of course when there ARE sea resources, damn... put in a seaport and they are amazing.

My guess is that the Colossus obsoletes at Navigation to prevent the possibility of Fish/Whale/Pearl supertiles with Seaports. I also suspect that, at some point, the Colossus did a lot more, because a 3/2/3 tile (fish) ain't that impressive. Even with a Golden Age, that jumps to 3/3/4, which is better (an an awesome tile), but hardly abusive, and at that point you're really getting into fringe cases.

My guess is that the Colossus obsoletes at Navigation to prevent the possibility of Fish/Whale/Pearl supertiles with Seaports. I also suspect that, at some point, the Colossus did a lot more, because a 3/2/3 tile (fish) ain't that impressive. Even with a Golden Age, that jumps to 3/3/4, which is better (an an awesome tile), but hardly abusive, and at that point you're really getting into fringe cases.

It's situational. In my current game I have a city with 6 fish and also pearls. The Colossus + Market + Bank rocked my world.

And yeah, Seaport was amazing.

Top Bottom