The Paths of Glory

@Shadowbound - You should consider merging stability and confidence into one metric [with default reform points continuing to be attached to the combined mechanic]

This is because the separation of confidence from stability produces anomalous situations under the present format. For example a country that is very unstable but with high confidence in its provinces would have none of the negatives associated with instability [The greater revolt cost of instability you mentioned on discord would be nullified to nonexistence by the high confidence, resulting in only benefits for that country thanks to the extra reform points. While this anomaly [an unstable country with no problems] could be mediated somewhat by adding in other detriments to instability in the economic and military fields, the simplest fix that doesn't fundamentally alter your whole format is what I noted above. By merging the two stats you get reform correlated to problems as the country tries to fix its evident issues, while ensuring actual demerits [ie low confidence and likely rebellion] to instability reflective of reality should these problems persist.]

Nota bene: If you do merge the two stats, I would suggest having a local stability [for each province] and then a national one which is the average of all the provincial levels. You can have a prospective revolts severity, any national bonuses or negatives, plus default reform point allocations be determined by the national stability level [as indicated on discord] while the provincial stability level would act like the confidence level currently in determining local revolt chances and so on. It shouldn't be problematic to merge both as both confidence and stability currently have five tiers making synthesis fairly easy ;)

-

Addendum: You might like to consider if you adopt the above system, either tinkering with the current provincial stabilities to balance national stability [as at present the system I suggested would make a lot of powers very unstable when one wouldn't expect them to be], or tinkering with effects based on policies or geopolitical standing [adding +1 national stability for being a great power for instance would give France, Britain and Spain national stabilities of roughly 3.4, 3.3 and 4.4 respectively based on what I propose above ], or even doing both at once.

Last edited:
I think high confidence low stability countries being able to avoid the pitfalls associated with low stability is working as intended.

Example given was Revolutionary France. If things are going well, its leaders can coast on the winds of populism to make massive changes. If things don't go well, it collapse and collapse hard.

@Shadowbound - You should consider merging stability and confidence into one metric [with default reform points continuing to be attached to the combined mechanic]

The separation of stability from confidence is a deliberate choice, as both track slightly different concepts.

Consider two states:
  • A is a populist, recently founded republic. Its population has high confidence in its government, but said government is new and untested. Instead of strong civil institutions it mostly operates on the personal charisma of its ruler.
  • B is a traditional, well-established monarchy. The population is not enthusiastic about its government, but said government has persisted for generations. The ruler can be a syphilitic inbred who leaves most of government to his ministers and the state will mozy along just fine.

On paper this may seem the seem similar, but both states would collapse through very different methods. I can find enough historical parallels for each. A would fall into civil war because of its leadership being personally discredited, while in B it requires more of an assault on the underlying institutions of the government as opposed to the ruler personally.

Both A and B are, in this example, small nations, but things get more complicated when I include colonies. Do I include colonial stability in the overall calculation? The easy answer is no, but that can still be disputed. What about nearby continental provinces, which may not have a say in the government itself and effectively be colonies anyway? It's in the handling of large, multi-state empires that the stability-confidence dynamic finds definition: a small colonial revolt in a high stability nation may be resolved with no action from the player, while in a low stability nation said revolt could spiral out of control or lead to a general civil war. To view it one way, confidence is the likelihood of a revolt, stability is the size of the revolt.

• C is a colonial empire put together over the course of a century. It has numerous states, some of which are tolerant of the government and some of which are agitating for independence. It has a small core of states that remain supportive. Its administration is capable of putting down large revolts and nipping small rebellions in the bud.
  • D is the achievement of a particularly brilliant conqueror, taking a wide swathe of territory in a short time period. It has the same dynamic as C, in as far as states go, but it has much lower stability. A sudden military defeat or the death of its ruler may result in a quick collapse as the governing institutions to maintain control over such a large state don't exist.
We can find plenty of parallels to D, and contrast them with C in that C maintained or achieved a high enough stability. Austria during the Napoleonic Wars ended up losing nearly every conflict except the last one, while Napoleonic France just needed to lose the Russian campaign.

The current flaw in the system is that there doesn't seem to be a clear incentive for high stability, as low stability explicitly gives more reform points to spend. I'm, uh, working on that.

You know Shadow, you could move this over to a more modern map projection pretty easily...

My weakness is the map-making aspect. And all the work NESing did to produce more detailed, GIS-accurate maps in a better projection with filters and everything ended up going to waste as no one managed to run a game with them.

Last edited:
I think Shadowbound's approach is good. I allows you to differentiate between public mood in specific regions and how monolithic the government structure is.

@Shadowbound

The current flaw in the system is that there doesn't seem to be a clear incentive for high stability, as low stability explicitly gives more reform points to spend. I'm, uh, working on that.

You've provided a very good rationale for separating the two metrics, and you have in the above quote accurately deduced the main issue. If you find a way to provide that incentive than its all good.

That said merging confidence and stability [or more accurately tethering one to the other] is still a possible solution I think if you add in factors [like I noted in the addendum] that affect national stability not only positively but negatively as well. For instance a new country with three provinces and high provincial stability [5, 4, 3] might have an aggregate national stability of 4 [contrary to what you want for a new untested state]. If you add demerits to the national stability due to the situation [example: new government -1, new country, -1] then you would reduce the national stability to 2 and have the same effect you're looking for with high local confidence in the new government, with the possibility for disaster if local stability [and hence support] collapses due to political failure. Although when exactly such policy/circumstantial demerits would apply I can't really say [since it depends on what you want].

Last edited:
I'm still seeking volunteers for Poland and Spain to start with.

@Shadowbound
That said merging confidence and stability [or more accurately tethering one to the other] is still a possible solution I think if you add in factors [like I noted in the addendum] that affect national stability not only positively but negatively as well. For instance a new country with three provinces and high provincial stability [5, 4, 3] might have an aggregate national stability of 4 [contrary to what you want for a new untested state]. If you add demerits to the national stability due to the situation [example: new government -1, new country, -1] then you would reduce the national stability to 2 and have the same effect you're looking for with high local confidence in the new government, with the possibility for disaster if local stability [and hence support] collapses due to political failure. Although when exactly such policy/circumstantial demerits would apply I can't really say [since it depends on what you want].

The appeal of stability and confidence being separate is the idea of a multi-dimensional political system: your government is just either popular or it's not. But one of the chief conflicts in this period was between dynamic, revolutionary governments and well-established traditional powers, which is captured in the current system. And this still runs into the issue of empire, where some or many states are not incorporated into the central government. The British people don't really care what the Bengalis think and the British government isn't influenced by them.

changed my country picks

Edit: I actually wanted to ask, is it possible to colonize unclaimed terretory ?

Yes. Keep in mind that unclaimed territory is usually unclaimed for a reason.

Changes have been made to introduce economic growth, which a low level of stability penalizes.

Looks good, and your reasons for retaining confidence as distinct and separate are reasonable.

My weakness is the map-making aspect. And all the work NESing did to produce more detailed, GIS-accurate maps in a better projection with filters and everything ended up going to waste as no one managed to run a game with them.

True dat, although that was more simulationism's fault (and other things) than the maps. I'll maybe help make you a better projection if you're interested in using it.

Also, ArcGIS runs like a parody of the worst early-1990's bloatware ever invented. I should mess around with it more, though...

The role of Manufacturing Capacity has been considerably slimmed down: basic regiments no longer need it. MC has been reduced across the board. Also you can spend it to boost economic growth, so it's valuable for more than military use.

This is the last major rule revision I expect to make, so ~24 hours from now I will assign nations.

Last edited:
Basically everyone gets what they want: some people did get second choices, either because they were edged out for their first choice or because I needed them in that role more.

Spoiler :
Great Powers
  • French Empire - Jehoshua
  • Qing China - Crezth
  • Kingdom of Spain - Double A
  • Kingdom of Poland - Patient_Robot
  • Kingdom of Great Britain - Seon
  • Russia-Lithuania - Ahigin
Regional Powers
  • Kingdom of the Netherlands - NPC
  • Kingdom of Bavaria - Marcher_Jovian
  • Republic of Sweden - Terran Empress
  • Ottoman Empire - NPC
  • Afsharid Persia - Decamper
  • Maratha Empire - JohannaK
Independent Powers
  • Kingdom of Aragon - Tobiisagoodboy
  • Kingdom of Austria - Brougal
  • Kingdom of Hungary - Thomas.Berubeg
  • Khalistan - Danwar
  • Tokugawa Japan - Thlayli
  • Columbian Rebels - Immaculate

We will set a tentative deadline for August 17th, 2018. I'm going to make a pass through the different reforms in the next day, so anticipate some changes there, ideally just to clarify wording.

qing.png

To: Tokugawa Shogunate

The sovereign of the Imperial House of Qing, the Qianlong Emperor, the Son of Heaven and Ruler of All Under Heaven, respectfully inquires after the sovereign of Nihon which we call 'Šun' and his Regent whom you call the Shogun. To that Regent the Emperor would like to say that if the Regent shall establish an Embassy of His Government in the Imperial Capital for the purpose of making offerings to the Emperor, then the Emperor shall look favorably upon the Regent and His Government and the nation of Šun and its sovereign.

The Emperor awaits your reply.

Last edited:
From Russia-Lithuania
To Qing China

We wish to ask the Emperor for a permission to open the northern frontier of the Middle Kingdom for trade with Russo-Lithuanian merchants. We are also informing you that we would wish to facilitate a creation of an annual yarmarka (fair) in Ust-Kut in the lower flow of the Lena River (near the Baykal Lake).If the Emperor wishes, we can further negotiate the status of travelling Qing merchants.

To: His Majesty the King of the Two Sicilies
From: His Most Christian and Imperial Majesty, Louis XIV, Emperor of the Romans, King of France, King of Lombardy, Grand Duke of Tuscany, Parma and Modena, Prince of Lucca etc etc.

It is ever the desire of France that the fraternal and pacific conduct between the Empire and the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies be maintained for the serenity and peace of the Mediterranean Sea and for the perpetuation of the dynastic and fraternal relations between the two branches of Our Imperial House. To this end, referring to the longstanding alliance and good relations with our two countries we propose a reaffirmation of said ties, as well as an economic compact by which the merchants of our respective countries may find favourable terms and tariffs for the conduct of commerce in each others states.

Yours Sincerely

His Majesty the Emperor-King Louis XIV of France

-

To: His Majesty the King of Aragon
His Most Christian and Imperial Majesty, Louis XIV, Emperor of the Romans, King of France, King of Lombardy, Grand Duke of Tuscany, Parma and Modena, Prince of Lucca etc etc.

Our Empire wishes to propose an alliance with the Kingdom of Aragon, in the interests of securing the enduring peace and friendship between our two nations. Likewise it is our hope that an enduring relationship of Christian brotherhood and friendship between our fraternal realms may lay the foundation for commerce and lawful business between the respective subjects of our great nations.

regards,

His Majesty the Emperor-King Louis XIV of France.

-

To His Majesty the High-King of Ireland
His Most Christian and Imperial Majesty, Louis XIV, Emperor of the Romans, King of France, King of Lombardy, Grand Duke of Tuscany, Parma and Modena, Prince of Lucca etc etc.

Relations between France and Ireland in the aftermath of the regretful and unfortunate war initiated by the malice of Great Britain have ever been that of brothers and friends. To this end we desire to formalise our relations through the establishment of a formal non-aggression pact, as well as a guarantee on the part of Our Empire, that Ireland may ever be confident of French assistance should its sovereignty be threatened by a hostile power, and France assured that its subjects lawful enterprise in your Kingdom shall be respected.

regards,

His Majesty the Emperor-King Louis XIV of France.

Last edited:
Top Bottom