The People and Places of Civ V

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
2K Greg posted a new article on the official Civ5 site on Tuesday. The article talks about the five different people and places that players will encounter while playing Civilization V. Below is the full article text:

Spoiler :
In a game about building an empire to stand the test of time, it only makes sense that you will discover many interesting places and meet a variety of people. Today, we'll explore five different people and places that you will encounter while playing Civilization V.

Ancient Ruins
Ancient Ruins are the remnants of earlier civilizations that rose and fell long before you came on the scene. As in previous Civilization games, ruins (you might call them "goody huts" - I do) provide a special benefit to the first civ that enters their tile. There are a number of different benefits that an ancient ruins tile could provide you:
  • Ancient treasure which provides gold to your civilization.
  • A map of the surrounding area.
  • Weapons upgrades. The unit which enters the tile is upgraded to a more advanced unit (a warrior might become a spearman, for example)
  • Survivors from the earlier civilization. They move to one of your cities, increasing its population by one.
  • A one-time boost to your culture.
  • On the easier difficulty levels, ruins can also provide you with free settlers and workers.

Natural Wonders
Natural wonders are extraordinary natural formations. The simple act of discovering one of these great sights is enough to increase the happiness of the people in your empire by a small amount. To really benefit from natural wonders through, you should found a city near one. A natural wonder tile, when worked by a city, provides extra production and gold for your empire.

Some examples of natural wonders are Old Faithful and the Great Barrier Reef. The Great Barrier Reef is the only natural wonder large enough to take up two tiles, and as such it provides an even greater benefit to an empire discovering it!

Barbarians
Barbarians are roving bands of villains who hate civilization and everything that goes with it. They attack your units and cities and pillage your improvements. As your civilization grows, the barbarians become much less menacing, but early in the game they can be a huge problem.

Barbarians come from "encampments," which may spring up in any neutral space that cannot be seen by a civilization's city or unit. Every few turns the encampment will create another barbarian unit which will make a beeline for the nearest civilization and start causing trouble. The only way to stop this is to find the encampment and destroy it.

Barbarian encampments can create almost any kind of unit in the game - from warriors and spearmen to more advanced units (they can build units equal to those that the most advanced civilization can create.) If enough are involved, barbarians can even take down a poorly-defended city, which they will then promptly and thoroughly pillage. This is why it's important to periodically sweep the countryside around your civilization, destroying encampments before they become a threat.

A civilization will earn a gold reward for dispersing a barbarian encampment - in addition to the benefit of stopping it from spawning more barbarian units, which of course is the primary reward. Encampments are usually guarded by at least one fortified unit, so they're not pushovers!

City-States
City-States are the smaller political entities in Civilization V. They cannot win a game - they're not competing against you - but they can greatly assist or impede your progress towards victory. You can befriend City-States and gain a number of important benefits; you can ignore them and concentrate on bigger and more important foes; or you can conquer them and take their stuff. It's up to you.

In order to communicate with a city-state, you must find it first. When one of your units encounters a city-state, the city-state will tell you what type it is (cultured, maritime, or militaristic,) and it will often give you a gift of gold as well.

Once you have met, the city-state may periodically make contact with you to ask you to undertake "missions." Perhaps it's being plagued by barbarians, for example, or its people seek knowledge of Natural Wonders, or perhaps they're being attacked by another civilization and they seek allies. Completing missions for city-states is one way to increase your Influence with them.

I'll be talking a more about city-states in a future community feature. They're a very big new element in Civilization V, and as such they deserve their own article, so stay tuned!

Civilizations
Last but most certainly not least are the other civilizations of the world. These civilizations have leaders who are just as cunning and determined as you are. Some are honest; others are liars. Some are warlike and others prefer peace. But all want to win.

In order to win the game, you will need to be clever in your dealings with the other leaders. You can engage in trade to exchange gold, strategic and luxury resources, and even entire cities. You can engage in research agreements which help you (and them!) advance more quickly. You can ask other leaders for assistance in a war, or to cut off all trades with a mutual enemy.

It's a big, tough world out there, and you won't last long if you automatically attack everybody you meet. Sometimes it really is better to talk than to fight - at least until their back is turned and you're ready to launch the big attack.

Barbarians Section said:
Encampments are usually guarded by at least one fortified unit, so they're not pushovers!
At least??? If there can only be one unit per tile, why is "at least" there?

Conspiracies abound! :crazyeye:

;)

At least??? If there can only be one unit per tile, why is "at least" there?

Conspiracies abound! :crazyeye:

;)

Units can be garrisoned in cities, allowing more than one unit per tile. I imagine that encampments use the same mechanic.

that at least has been explained:

Camps do not have bombardment capabilities; they are only guarded (usually) by a fortified unit or two. And yes, barbarians are bound by 1upt, but remember that "guarding" a tile in Civ 5 can mean positioning your units intelligently in and around said tile ;)

Ancient ruins? But we are the ancients! That's what Civilization is all about... Is there such a thing as neolithic ruins that could benefit an early civilization?

Ancient ruins? But we are the ancients! That's what Civilization is all about... Is there such a thing as neolithic ruins that could benefit an early civilization?

Considering the fact that you have always been able to find technologies in goody huts in Civ, I don't see this as being anything new... nothing wrong with calling it ancient ruins instead :)

Much prefer the walk thru / gameplay examples with loads of screenshots (like from Sulla?) that came out before Civ IV released, but I guess any shred of info is good.

I do like the (usually) in Greg's quote. Means all sorts of possibilties. Nice one. :)

The words "usually" and "at least" contradict each other in that sentence: There is always a barbarian guarding the camps except for when there isn't :crazyeye:

No more poppin' techs from goody huts, I guess.

No more poppin' techs from goody huts, I guess.

That phrase conjures an image of Louis From Left for Dead picking up a goody hut and saying, 'grabbin' tech'.
---

The idea of natural wonders being a part of the game mechanic caught my interest. I've noticed that Firaxis has tried to emphasize making their game more visually pleasing as much as possible, and certainly these will enhance the game's presentation to some extent. While I feel they may boil down to little more than fancy set pieces, it will still be nice to have them to break up the monotony of the usual Civilization geography categorization. Combined with culture specific geography, these natural wonders could really treat us to cinematically beautiful landscapes, perhaps even worthy of our desktops. That said, I would feel both cheated and angry if the developers put so much effort into the landscape without putting commensurate effort into the people who inhabit those landscapes; I'm tired of seeing the Indians have the same architecture as the Chinese and the Aztecs and Middle Easterners and Africans using European sets (in Civ4 I recall Shaka Zulu's cities were once Victorian English in style, and Pacal II's bowmen looked like they could have been taken from the Battle of Agincourt). I deeply and truly hope that they give us diverse people as well as places, and realize as well that just following history will not yield good results: in Civ5 -especially since there is no Spain- the Aztecs wouldn't have to have fallen and turned themselves into Mexico and went from speaking Nahuatl to Spanish, and also since Rome never collapsed as a power (unless the player or AI controlling Rome was defeated) the Romans wouldn't turn into the Italians and speak Italian. But we'll have to wait and see on that.

On another note, I'm not so sure about the 'ancient ruins' concept: if the starting year is still 4000 BC, how are there civilizations older than the ones available to the player, aside from small farming and nomadic communities. While those two types of societies certainly had their strengths, it was not until after the rise of real and permanent civilization that anything of use to the player was created (except for the extra population, workers, and settlers). At least with the goody huts, I could imagine that I was absorbing those small farming and nomadic communities into my growing ancient empire, but maybe that's just me. That complaint aside, the concept looks like it won't change the gameplay too radically from Civ4. Ultimately, I'm just nitpicking here.

On another note, I'm not so sure about the 'ancient ruins' concept: if the starting year is still 4000 BC, how are there civilizations older than the ones available to the player, aside from small farming and nomadic communities. While those two types of societies certainly had their strengths, it was not until after the rise of real and permanent civilization that anything of use to the player was created (except for the extra population, workers, and settlers). At least with the goody huts, I could imagine that I was absorbing those small farming and nomadic communities into my growing ancient empire, but maybe that's just me. That complaint aside, the concept looks like it won't change the gameplay too radically from Civ4. Ultimately, I'm just nitpicking here.
Well obviously they're talking about the Hyborean Age. Benefits you can find include the lair of Thulsa Doom and the Sword of Conan, which both increases your unit strength and gives a free Great Artist if you take it to NBC Studios.

But seriously, Rise of Nations did the same thing, scattering ancient ruins of lost civilizations around the map, even though you were starting in the ancient age and hadn't even developed agriculture yet.

I do have to wonder if the designers have a way to prevent players from farming barbarian camps like they did in Civ 3, where they tried the exact same thing. It didn't work that great then, in my opinion, but I guess they feel that the city-states can make up for the role of barbarian cities now. I guess as long as they fixed the Civ 3 problem where the camps could never advance beyond producing horsemen, they might be more of a challenge this time.

Top Bottom