The Princedom of Vanir

@Prince Shaitan- Sir, I swept melee events in the Agustan tourney where I won the Grand Melee, Grand Brawl and Field of Honor, I did not win the Steeplechase or Archery competitions though.
Rest assured that my relatively poor performance at Aegir will not repeat. And I trust that you will not rub it in my face if it does. ;)

But for now, I am off to Takatono for a good rest. Hopefully I'll see thee in the morn'.

May I assure you that such further falsities and insults directed against Lancre will not stand. The new Prince of Aegir will be competing in the next tournament, and I assure you that Vanir will not again sweep the events. I am 2 for 3 in the High Joust and have an excellant record in the Melee as well. Rest assured, good sir Shaitan, that Vanir will feel the sting of defeat on the Marillion's field of battle.

And now that I've done my duty as the official "Chief of Telling People Off" for Lancre, I would like to wish an early good luck to Vanir for the next Marillion Tourney. (you'll need it :p )

I just hope I can compete, and get the hang of this thing faster than I became a Civ3 mod. :p

I must thank the good Sir Grandmaster and Sir Plexus for their defense of Lancre. :D

As a Knight of Vanir, I must admit that Lord Shaitan's lands are vast, and he has many Knights and other Nobles sworn to him. And Vanir did sweep the recent games at Aegir.

However, as Prince of Lancre, I must also point out that the lands of Lancre are also growing, and that we also have goodly Knights and Nobles. And we must remember that Lancre is different from the usual feudal arrangement. When a Noble joins with Lancre, his lands become part of Lancre territory, while remaining his own, and he then gets a say in the running of the Principality. We are a federation of Nobles, sworn to each other, rather than the normal liege-lord relationship.

And may I remind all, before tempers get too hot, that Vanir and Lancre, the two greatest lands in Fanatika, are friends; allied not only by treaties, but by the friendship of their two Princes. :)

Aye, and by the friendship of the Prince of Vanir and Military Leader of Lancre. :D

Come let us not squabble over petty ego problems, what matters is that in a time of crisis, should Lancre and Vanir ever band together, the two most powerful Principalities on earth would easilly combine to form an unstoppable force. Let us not draw apart, for together we both are incomparable to any other lesser House.

Originally posted by Shaitan
@CivGeneral - I believe the Fanatikan Order is a knighthood. They do not create dukes or earls.

Though I have gotten a Temporary Title of Duke/Earl just on becing elected Govenor of the North Provance.

@CivGeneral - Your temporary title may be Duke of House Vanir. naervod is already the Earl of House Vanir.

Thanks Shaitan :). I shall update my title right away.

The Chapel of Spiritualism at the Marillion is once again packed to overcrowding as the friends and relations of CivGeneral, the Count of Ankh Morpork and Stuck_As_a_Mac, the Baron of Coctys, struggle to fit into the confines of the chapel. The eager attendees line the walks and aisles and spill out into the corridors. Once again, lords of noble houses will swear fealty to the great house of Vanir and it is a sight welcome to the eyes of many.

Donovan Zoi, the Prince of Klein Vanir performed the ceremony as proxy and heir of Prince Shaitan. Shaitan himself was forced away on state business unexpectedly and did not wish to delay the knighting yet again. Donovan stood at the top of the dais, surrounded by the five lesser lords of Vanir. The spectators hush as Brother Joseph lights a ceremonial fire to the great spirit Pyra. He is then joined by Brother Adam and Sister Eve, recently returned to Vanir, and the three spiritualist hold an involved service to the spirits with particular emphasis on that fiery protector and avenger who had become adopted by House Vanir.

Heads turn and mutters begin as footsteps begin coming down the central aisle from the back of the chapel. The two knights penitent stride towards the front of the chapel and the assembled lords of Vanir. They stop a pace before the steps to the dais.

The assembly quiets again as Donovan steps to the edge of the dais and begins the ancient ritual that will accept the fealty and service of these two lords.

Donovan (to CivGeneral): Do you approach the Crown this day to offer your strong arm in service and your shield to protect us?

CivGeneral: I do, my lord.

Donovan: And what do you ask in return?

CivGeneral: Nothing, my lord. I have horse and sword and shield. What more does a warrior need?

Donovan: The weight of a mantle and the love of those he serves.

CivGeneral: It is true, my lord. I do indeed wish to be made a Knight, that I may join my strength to those worthies upon the dais and hold the banner of my adopted land.

Donovan: Kneel down, CivGeneral.

CivGeneral kneels down on the first step to the dais and lowers his head. Donovan turns then to Stuck_As_a_Mac.

Donovan: Do you come to offer your strength and fealty to our great house?

SAAM: I do.

Donovan: And what would you have in return?

SAAM: I need nothing, my lord, save my mount and my arms and my armor.

Donovan: These things are already yours, and well used to boot. Is there nothing with which we may reward your service?

SAAM: It would give me the greatest pride to bear the surcoat of Vanir so that my works and deeds may be seen as those of this great house.

Donovan: Kneel down, Stuck_As_a_Mac.

SAAM kneels next to CivGeneral on the first step of the dais. Donovan unsheaths BärenReißzahn, the great sword of Vanir. The masterwork blade seemingly shines with its own light and the eyes of the twin bears of its pommel glow brightly. He rests the naked blade against CivGeneral’s neck and the spectators note that he does so with the same calm assurance shown by Shaitan. CivGeneral does not flinch in the slightest at the icy touch of the razor sharp sword. He repeats the process with SAAM, who could well be a stone for all the reaction he shows to the touch of the blade. Donovan then holds the blade between the two penitents, one deadly edge inches from each exposed throat. He then addresses them both. He pauses between each question and they nod their heads solemnly.

Donovan: Do you swear by your honor and in front of these witnesses and upon this dais of the Spirits themselves that you will uphold the ideals of Vanir? (Knod from the penitents.) That you shall defend the weak from the unjust? (Knod.) That you shall protect the people of Vanir and the Crown from all enemies? (Knod.) That you will represent Vanir with due honors and solemnity?

CivGeneral and SAAM (together): I do so swear.

Donovan (loud): Who will speak for these men? Who will swear to their strength of spirit and body?

The echoes of Donovan’s shouted demand slowly fade until there is utter silence in the Chapel.

Padma walks the few steps down the dais and stands behind the two penitents.

Padma: I speak for them. They are well known to me and righteous.

jdd2007 follows suit, parting from the semicircle of knights and taking a similar position behind CivGeneral and SAAM.

jdd2007: I speak for them as well. I attest that they are warriors of renown who have shown their honor and bravery.

One by one the other knights, naervod, gunning1 and gonzo_for_civ, each leave their positions by Donovan Zoi and join their brethren in support of the two men. Donovan takes BärenReißzahn from between the men’s throats and holds it above their heads. At this signal, naervod and gunning1 each remove a spur and attach it to one of SAAM’s upturned heels. Padma and jdd2007 then do the same for CivGeneral. Donovan then touches the flat of the blade to each side of their necks and then to the tops of their heads.

Donovan: Arise, Sir CivGeneral, Knight of Vanir! Arise, Sir Stuck_As_a_Mac, Knight of Vanir!

The new knights are helped to their feet by their companions and then subjected to a traditional good natured pummeling. The crowd erupts into loud huzzahs and shouts of congratulations. The Chapel slowly clears and the newest Knights of Vanir are carried to their celebration feast.

And Shaitan, may I ask for permission to change my permanate title of "Count of Ankh Morpork" to "Count of House Vanir" (or equivalent, incase if someone already has that title.

@CivGeneral - You are already the Duke of House Vanir so having a lesser title to the same estate doesn't work. That's also a permanent title so I like to give those out sparingly and directly.

Oh. Ok :). Thanks :).

Perhaps some betting between the different houses in the newest tourney would be in order. I may have to move ahead with a final tourney thread sooner than expected if this wonderful competitive spirit keeps up :)

Shaitan has already beefed up the horse prizes!

Oh yeah, he even added a last place prize to them, so Aegir might win some money :D

@CivGeneral - Your temporary title may be Duke of House Vanir. naervod is already the Earl of House Vanir.

Actually, I will probably become the Archduke of Vanir once I get some more land and a castle so Civ General, you can become Earl of Vanir by the new year or a week after.

Originally posted by gonzo_for_civ
Oh yeah, he even added a last place prize to them, so Aegir might win some money :D

Prepare yourself for combat knave! My ancestors were known to seperate men from their heads for less! I suggest you watch your tongue, or keep an even closer watch on your head!

:p

Top Bottom