The Princedom of Vanir

Shaitan

der Besucher
The Princedom of Vanir is the single largest noble seat in Fanatika. The bulk of Vanir Major lies in The North and Southwest Provinces. Vanir Major also occupies a small portion of Taliesin north and East of Bavaria.

Vanir has good relations with it's neighboring Great Houses including the Princedoms of Manitou, Lancre and Doughnutia. Vanir's recent expansion has enclosed Manitou, which has caused some tension on those borders but the two lands maintain a friendly relationship and plans have been made to eventually cede the Bremershaven territories to Manitou.

Vanir Minor includes New Falcon's Haven, Octavinium and Tlaxcala, as well as territories surrounding those cities. A number of disparate territories are also under Vanir's control.

Persons of note in Vanir

The Royal Arms of Vanir
port bende de II. peces vert et azure. 2 bears rampant addorsed d'or. Crest of a helm regal sinister with loup rampant halved superior noir presents a globe bende et wavy de VI. peces vert et azure. Cowling IV vert et azure.

Royals of Vanir:

Shaitan, Rex Emeritus of Fanatika, Prince of Vanir, Duke of The Sands, Earl of Seabrake, Count of Lankrensee, Baron at the Marillion, Knight of Vanir
Donovan Zoi, Prince of Klein Vanir, Knight of Vanir

Nobles of Vanir:

jdd2007, Duke of the Palantire, Knight of Vanir
naervod, Earl of House Vanir, Count of Falkonest, Knight of Vanir
gunning1, Count of Eis Mauer, Knight of Vanir
gonzo_for_civ, Baron of Süd-Besitz, Knight of Vanir
Padma, Margrave of Brückenkopf, The Knight of the Bridge

Knights of Vanir:

Sir CivGeneral
Sir Stuck_As_a_Mac

Masters at The Marillion:
Master of Kennels: gunning1
Master of Stables: gonzo_for_civ
Master of Aviaries: gunning1

Great Buildings of Vanir:

The Marillion
Located east of Valhalla, this palace is the largest and most oppulent structure in Fanatika. The Marillion has served as the seat of Vanir power since its first inception. A common stop for many nobles, the palace has also been used to host several of the greatest contests of the elite. The Marillion boasts numerous bedroom suites, pools and other amenities plus the renouned Marillion Stables, Kennels and Aviary. With the construction of Bärenhöhle and Walküre castles the defensive requirements of The Marillion have decreased. This has allowed the demigrande hall to be converted to the first Mission of the Spiritualists in Fanatika. All are welcome to enter the palace to attend services, making The Marillion the only grand construction in the land that is available to all.

Castles Bärenhöhle and Walküre
The two keystones of Vanir's defense are the mighty castles Bärenhöhle and Walküre. Bärenhöhle is located at the city of Kuhkaff and Walküre is in Valhalla. Bärenhöhle (trans: Bear's Den) is primarily charged with the protection of the western and southern borders of Vanir, and serves as a second point of Vanir authority to The Marillion. Its well appointed demigrande hall is a shadow of the Grand Hall at the Marillion but is an extravagance seldom seen in a fortress of war. Walküre (trans: Valkyrie) is primarily charged with the defense of the northern border of Vanir and defense of The Marillion itself. Walküre also acts as a counter to American agression and a check against the Keep of Leningrado, also located in Valhalla.

Castle Bärenhöhle

Castle Walküre

Castle Küstenberg
Located at the coast and surrounded by hazardous mountain passes (map coord. 2/-1), Keep Küstenberg (trans: Coastal Mountain) is a virtually unapproachable redoubt. Küstenberg is responsible for eastern defense as well as quick response to aid Valhalla when needed. As the relationship between Vanir and Lancre has been one of amiable friendship for so long, Küstenberg has only recently been upgraded to a full castle.

Castles Angußstelle, Nördmauer and Westmauer
Often called the Three Sisters, these castles were constructed in Gunningheim, Naerva and Androbius at the same time. Angußstelle (Gate Mark) protects the City of Gunningheim and north central Vanir. Nördmauer (Northgate) is the first line of defense against American agression from Denver. Westmauer (Westgate) extends the authority of the Androbius garrisons to deter Russian agression in the northwest.

Castle Angußstelle

Castle Nördmauer

Castle Westmauer

Vanir is an open state, welcoming all citizens and businesses. Squires, Knights and Lords of Vanir may always build wherever they wish in Vanir. Other citizens may build any non-defensive structure in any city of Vanir. Citizens may generally also build in countryside areas, simply post a request if you wish to do so.

Vanir has never charged rent and will never do so. Your presence is reward enough for us.

Vanir is sponsoring the High Games at the Marillion. Squires, Knights and Lords of Vanir may make use of the animals in Vanir's stables, kennels and aviary for these competitions. The regular riders of the Marillion Stables may also use their customary racing mounts.

I wish to mark the start of the High Games with a gift to the loyal lords and knights of Vanir. I am giving a new lance to each squire, knight and lord of Vanir. Use them with honor and courage!

The Chapel of Spiritualism is packed to overcrowding as the friends and relations of naervod, Squire and Earl of House Vanir, contest for advantageous seating. More benches are brought in and are immediately filled. Still the eager attendees line the walks and aisles and spill out into the corridors. Seldom is there an opportunity to see a lord beknighted and never has it been done with all of the Knights of Vanir in attendance.

The Prince and the five Knights form a semicircle on the dais, facing the crowd. The spectators hush as Brother Joseph lights a ceremonial fire to the great spirit Pyra. He then holds a short service to the spirits with particular emphasis on that fiery protector and avenger.

Heads turn and mutters begin as footsteps begin coming down the central aisle from the back of the chapel. naervod strides confidently towards the front of the chapel and his assembled peers and Prince. He stops a pace before the steps to the dais.

The assembly quiets again as Shaitan steps to the edge of the dais and begins the ancient ritual that will turn a mere squire into the next Knight of Vanir.

Shaitan: Squire naervod, do you approach the Crown this day to offer your strong arm in service and your shield to protect our lands?

naervod: I do, m'lord.

Shaitan: And what would you ask of us in return?

naervod: Nothing, my Prince. I have all that I need to serve, though not all that would fill my heart.

Shaitan: Then how may we fill your heart? For a warrior cannot serve while his heart be aching.

naervod: If it please thee, Prince, I would be made a Knight, that I may join my sword to the august assembly around you and be close enough to shield you on need.

Shaitan: Kneel down, Squire naervod.

naervod kneels down on the first step to the dais and lowers his head. Shaitan unsheaths BärenReißzahn, the great sword of Vanir. The masterwork blade seemingly shines with its own light and the eyes of the twin bears of its pommel glow brightly. He rests the naked blade against naervod's neck and the spectators note that he does so with a rock steady hand and naervod does not flinch in the slightest at the icy touch of the razor sharp sword. He then addresses naervod again. He pauses between each question and naervod nods his head solemnly.

Shaitan: Do you swear by your honor and in front of these witnesses and upon this dais of the Spirits themselves that you will uphold the ideals of Vanir? That you shall defend the weak from the unjust? That you shall protect the people of Vanir and the Crown from all enemies? That you will represent Vanir with due honors and solemnity?

naervod: I do so swear.

Shaitan (loud): Who will speak for this man? Who will swear to his strength of mind and body?

Shaitan's shout echoes about the chapel. A voice of command that is almost stunning in such close proximity. The echoes of his demand slowly fade and there is utter silence in the Chapel.

Padma walks the few steps down the dais and stands behind naervod.

Padma: I speak for him. He is well known to me and righteous.

jdd2007 follows suit, parting from the semicircle of knights and taking a similar position behind naervod.

jdd2007: I speak for him as well. I attest that he brought the great city of Kuhkaff to be part of Vanir. He is worthy and proud.

One by one the other knights, Donovan Zoi, gunning1 and gonzo_for_civ, each leave their positions by Shaitan and join their brethren in support of naervod’s cause. Muttering increases with each knight to do so. It is required that one knight sponsor him and not too uncommon to have two knights do so. To have 5 knights speak out in ceremony in support of a penitent is unheard of.

The muttering ceases as Shaitan takes BärenReißzahn from naervod’s throat and holds it above his head. At this signal, Padma and jdd2007 each remove a spur and attach it to one of naervod’s upturned heels. Shaitan touches the flat of the blade to each side of naervod’s neck and then to the top of his head.

Shaitan: Arise, Sir naervod, Knight of Vanir!

naervod springs to his feet just in time for a boisterous and good natured pummeling from his knightly brethren. The crowd erupts into loud huzzahs and shouts of congratulation. It takes some time to clear the Chapel to allow the new knight to be carried to his celebration feast but it is noted that his smile and that of the other Knights of Vanir never falters.

@BCLG100 - I'll be putting up new maps when I've caught up on other things. I'll primarily be focusing on Vanir Proper but will also have a map of Vanir Minor.

I think I will reterm these as Greater Vanir and Lesser Vanir.

Thank you Shaitan and all in this glorious Princedom. I will serve my house well.

Written by Brother Joseph...

What an honour that I have had a small part in such a wonderful ceremony! Your majesty, please feel free to call on the services of the Spiritualist Mission for any of your noble ceremonies.

I am sure that Pyra, and all the other Spirits will watch over your brave and honourable knights.

Ahh Shaitan. How long until you buy up some more land so we can become the kingdom of vanir ;)

Also, on a personal note, I won't be able to serve as a proxy in your land buying next availability as I will be looking to acquire some land of my own! :)

Alas, the days of the kings are gone. We are a Monarchy now and King Eklektikos would not tolerate a challenge to his authority. We are the single largest nation in Fanatika by far and I'll be updating the Vanir maps soon (after I finish updating the Land Office maps).

I live in Kuhkaff and I am interested in becomming a Royals or Nobles of Vanir and become part of the Princedom of Vanir.

Your fame and stature precede you, Earl CivGeneral. You are already well established in the noble and knightly circles. Are you truly willing to put Vanir above your other commitments?

Originally posted by Shaitan
Your fame and stature precede you, Earl CivGeneral. You are already well established in the noble and knightly circles. Are you truly willing to put Vanir above your other commitments?

Yes, I am willing to put Vanir above my other commitments :).

Top Bottom