The Rising Sun - Japanese Power Play

Own: thx! :lol:

MrMahk: welcome aboard! Mongolia is left with 8 towns, none of them past size 5.

---------

Ancient age stats

At 710BC:

Cities: 12.
Money: 119 quids, 34 gpt (before anarchy).
Population: 38 pop units.
Score: 390 (dead last, 10th is Russia with 610 pts).
Army: 8 swords, 10 spears, 6 archers, 5 warriors, 12 workers.

City sequence:

4000BC: Kyoto
2900BC: Osaka
1990BC: Tokyo
1790BC: Edo
1550BC: Satsuma
1475BC: Kagoshima
1375BC: Nara
1150BC: Nagoya
900BC: Darhan (captured, Mongolia)
875BC: Kazan (captured, Mongolia)
850BC: Izumo
710BC: Karakorum (captured, Mongolia)

City 13 will be founded in 670BC, between Kazan and Karakorum. In the area of Darhan, 2 cities will be built then Darhan will be abandoned and resettled in a better position.

Research:

4000BC - ceremonial burial, the wheel (prerequisites)
3000BC - warrior code (trade, Mongolia)
2710BC - pottery (trade, Mongolia), bronze working (trade, Korea)
2150BC - mysticism (own research)
1725BC - iron working (trade, Ottomans)
1550BC - alphabet (trade, Korea)
1475BC - masonry (trade, China)
1350BC - polytheism (trade, China), writing (trade, Vikings), map making (trade, Germany), code of laws, horseback riding (trade, Ottomans), philosophy (trade, Mongolia), mathematics (trade, someone)
730BC - currency (trade, Ottomans)
710BC - republic (peace treaty, Mongolia), monarchy (trade, Germany), construction, literature (trade, Carthage)

Contacts:

3000BC - Mongolia
2710BC - Korea
2190BC - China
1725BC - Ottomans, Persia
1350BC - Vikings, Germany, Russia, Carthage, England

A few questions:

1. What does AS mean? Artificial Stupidity? :confused:

The Mongols are driven furious, then war is declared.

Is there any advantage to this? I usually just declare right away.

It does mean Artificial Stupidity. I learned that from tricky's bad start game. It should be a prerequisite prereading for this. :lol:

Hi guys!

Once again, kud0s to everyone posting here, or simply lurking around. The advantage of driving someone furious with continuous demands should be a slightly better attitude of the other AS versus you. I've noticed in my past games that if you declare on a polite or gracious AS the other ones become quite upset at you, while if you declare on a furious AS the others won't mind too much.

And yes, AS is for Artificial Stupidity. How can anyone call them intelligent? :crazyeye:

EDIT: another advantage is that a furious AS, when asked to remove troops or declare, will probably declare rather than retreat, although they could retreat anyway and bork your plan to collect negative WW points.

Peaceful Kingdom

The 710BC turn ends in Anarchy. In the interturn, i have to choose between a Monarchy and a Republic. The choice is difficult this time: the need of money to upgrade some horsemen would suggest Republic, but i have access to only 2 luxuries and there are absolutely no marketplaces in my territory (i've just mastered Currency!). The increased luxury cost and the loss of WLKTD around would probably more than offset the benefits of Republic, and so i choose to establish a Monarchy once again. In 690BC, Tokugawa is named King of the Japanese. An odd outcome, since the following turns will be totally peaceful.

Also in the interturn, 2 more notable events to report. The 1st is that Persia and China are now at war. Good for me. The 2nd is that Mongolia has started Sun Tzu. Good since i'll have at least 1 medieval tech to extort from them, but the drawback is that in the 2nd mongol war i'll be almost certainly facing pukemen and frankish axemen (same MDI).

In 690BC, little happens. A survey on Persia reveals that they already know all the 3 first-line medieval techs. I've just started on Engineering and they already know it... duh.

In 650BC, the city of Nagasaki is founded, as planned, on the open spot left in the ex-mongol territory. A few turns later, the area of Darhan is resettled properly: 2 new cities are founded around, then Darhan is abandoned and resettled in a better position. Here's what the southern provinces of Japan look like in 530BC:

Actually, Yokohama has been founded in the wrong spot. A better location would have been 1 tile NW. I moved the settler in the wrong position... well, normally i would have reloaded, but since i was playing a GotM (that i was still hoping to submit...) i continued the game as is. I just need it to reach rank 2 to exploit the tiles that i would have had available immediately.

In the following turns, everyone goes war crazy, until the point that, in 450BC, everyone is at war at least with someone else. Meanwhile, i'm improving land like crazy. All the remaining warriors have been upgraded and more swords are being trained in the most productive cities. There turns are quite hasty, and probably i haven't played the better way. But hey! Nobody is perfect :rolleyes: Kyoto is building a marketplace, more cities will follow later. Money is needed, but probably i could have been less greedy and built a couple swords more.

In 310BC, peace with Mongolia expires, and i'm ready to take over the rest of it. But there's another useful thing to do first. The goods+gpt deal with Ottoman is expired, and since it included a tech given from them, it can be renegotiated at my advantage. The new deal is: dyes from the Ottomans in return from wines and horses.

There's nothing else to do now. War is declared, and the 2nd Mongol War begins. A stack of death moves outside Ta-Tu. It will be difficult to capture. Size 7, built on hill, pukemen defending at 6.75. I'll send the veteran swords to weaken them, then the elite to finish them off and possibly generate a leader. But casualties will be heavy.

Here's a bonus: the whole Map of the Old World, jpeg image, 1280x1024, 401kb.

Wow. This is certainly going well. Good thing there's that pass north of Choybalsan, direct from Karakorum to Almaty. Otherwise, you might get stuck in those mountains after you finish that peninsula. You must take very extensive notes, or use Alt-F4 to keep writing things down as they occur...

All early Medieval UUs rock. It's the perfect time for a golden age. Personally, I think that Dutch Swiss Mercenaries are the best from that time period, but Samurai are the most versatile units in the game until Guerillas.

All right guyz. No doubt i like all your support, but if you want to discuss what medieval unit (or unique unit) is the best, the right thing to do is to start a new thread in the General Discussion area, where many other people could be interested in joining the discussion. You don't want to pull a Daftpanzer, don't you? ;)

Now some short replies:

Dachspmg: to avoid being stuck with mountains, i'll found a new city between my current border and the new mongol capital, Choybalsan. More details in the gamelog, of course. About your question, yes, i keep very detailed notes of my games, it helps in thinking more about the next moves to do, and in general it makes me playing better. Actually, i'm still a "good" player seeking excellence. Has someone looked at the final scoreboard? Well, the "top 4" results are still way beyond my actual skills, so there's definitely room to improve.

madviking: samurais are still to come, Chivalry must be researched (read: extorted :D)), and lots of money will be needed to upgrade those horsemen (80 quids each). So this upcoming war will be fought with pukemen and axemen (MDI). Samurais will make their debut on the Chinese battlefield.

----------

Now there's a controversial issue i'd like to discuss with all of you fellow supporters, and with anyone interested. In brief: i'm considering the idea of reloading the game in 190BC and replay from there. It would be 8 turn replayed before the submission date and 7 more until the last game has been saved, for a total of 15 turns.

Why? I must say that i've played the last turns quite hastily, because i was still hoping to submit the game somehow. Then, once reached 30BC, i realized i had absolutely no way to submit a complete game, so i went to bed for a well deserved sleep. Then, the next morning, i submitted the last turn played just before reaching the deadline.

By looking at those turns now, i see an incredible number of errors. Having time to think, and the necessary mental brightness to do so, in no way i would have screwed up so badly. First, i upgraded the wrong units once traded Feudalism - i hit shift-u when a spearman was selected! Then, i delayed the attack for absolutely no reason. Then, i left some swords parked unnecessary in the city of Ta-Tu after the city was safe with only 2 units inside. I left a redlined Khorchin retreat to safety and heal even if i could have killed it. I ended a turn abruptly by hitting the wrong key... And some others i don't even remember now.

Now, before someone points out that i should simply report the log as is, i could reply that, in this case, i would log until 30BC then tell everyone: "ok guyz, at this point i retired and sumbitted an incomplete game, so the log is over. Go read something else".

Before someone asks:
  1. i wouldn't absolutely take any prior knowledge in reloading.
  2. i would play the way i would have played having the necessary time to think.
  3. i know that it's my game and i can do whatever i want with it, but i'm sincerely interested in your opinions, since it seems a controversial case (at least for me).
  4. no, i never reload in a solo game unless stupid mistakes occur (like hitting the wrong key), and i never reload if i'm in a competition like the GotM.
I like hearing your view about this, but please don't post useless slogans that don't help the discussion at all. I have put reasons behind my will to reload. If you are contrary to it, please discuss my motivations and tell me where they are lacking. If all you have to say is something like "reloading is bad, don't do it, period", or "it's your game, do what you like with it", then you do me a favour in staying silent.

The update will be temporary halted. Once again, thank you very much for the interest you're showing in it. Seeya dudez!

Dachspmg said:
You must take very extensive notes, or use Alt-F4 to keep writing things down as they occur...

You probably mean Alt+Tab. It would be unwise to hit Alt+F4 while playing Civ. :)

I think reloading something like this GOTM is OK if it is because you only made little errors like the ones you described. However, if it had been a major tactical tactical mistake or just a string of bad luck in war, I'd think that you shouldn't reload.

Yeah, as Lord Iggy said, they were just minor errors that you made due to a timeline in your head that turned out to be irrelevant. There's no problem with restarting, especially since the game doesn't count anymore and if it makes you enjoy the game more than you definitely should do it!

Though about your log, I'm just curious. What is a quid? I've deduced that it is gold, but I'm not sure where the word comes from.

British slang for a pound, I believe.

Edit: It compares well to "buck" for dollars.

Thanks guyz. I see that your point of view is pretty the same as mine. I think i'm doing a right thing, but i also wanted to feel to be doing the right thing, and your support make me feel that way.

To address some concerns, no, i didn't do some serious strategic mistakes that would be covered by a reload, nor i got bad lucky strikes that i would avoid doing that way. It's just a series of stupid errors made because i was playing with careless haste.

And TheBB is right about the "quid". It's the brit slang for pounds. I'm using it just for the fun of it, it's definitely better than "gold", isn't it? :crazyeye:

Top Bottom