The story of a fiasco

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
First, I liked Civ5. I had nothing against Steam, I was even enthousiastic,
considering it could allow a better vision of mods.

The thing is, there is still not any mod we can access through Steam.
First disappointment.

And now, the new patch. Heck, I was saving Social Policies to have this big one
when you have +5 production in every city. I axed my strategy on it. My game
is screwed. I was 5 turns away of Biology and Industrial Era.

The new patch sucks.

Nice, I didn't even noticed that the patch installed. Not any mention of it nowhere.

Now, Steam and the auto-patch. Nice, I can't play my games with the previous
versions anymore. If the patch mess up something, what it did this time,
I just can't continue to play the old version for a while.

I hadn't anything against Steam. But now that i saw that we can't really install
mods from it, and that it auto-updates the game, I feel It really SUCKS big balls.
Steam is useless, and i can't even sell my game without robbing someone.

Steam sucks.

And now, the horses are nerfed. I can already read some cool story of people
that can't conquer because they have no iron and horses can't properly conquer
cities anymore... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Are you kidding? No. Real story bro. OMG.

Steam sucks. The new patch sucks.

I want to sell my game. But i can't. Nice again.

New patch sucks, Steam sucks, Civ5 sucks, FIRAXIS SUCKS.

Go To HeLl.

One can only hope that the design team never work on computer games again after the mess that is Civ 5.

First disappointment.

The new patch sucks.

Nice, I didn't even noticed that the patch installed. Not any mention of it nowhere.

I hadn't anything against Steam. But now that i saw that we can't really install
mods from it, and that it auto-updates the game, I feel It really SUCKS big balls.

Steam sucks.

cities anymore... WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? Are you kidding? No. Real story bro. OMG.

Go To HeLl.

Dude calm down. Go to advanced options and set the game to allow you to wait for your culture. Learn how to operate Steam... there is an option for turning off auto update. And big deal somebody couldnt wreck their enemies early game due to poor resources. Are you serious? This is what civilization is about. Making your empire based on the world you are in. If everybody had the same mentality as this then Civ 4 forums will also be in flames just because somebody couldnt do their routine conquering in the classical age because of poor resources. Its a game where you have to make do with what you get, and if it wasnt like that it would be quite a bad game, and every single game would be the same. The vitality of the game, the thing that keeps the game interesting for hours and hours, would be ruined.

If you really dont want to change your playstyle, buff the horses again. Really not that hard. Just with a few tweaks and some in game options you can have the pre patch Civ 5 again.

You can run Steam in offline mode or deactivate autoupdate for any game you want. That's what I did to finish my current games before patching (also waiting for updates from some big mods).

Sounds like you're the type of person who would sue over getting burned by hot coffee when you spill it all over yourself.

Why is it everyone elses fault but your own when it comes to learning the software you use? Steam has a plethora of options. If you fail to acquiant yourself with the program how do you feel you are justified in complaining about it.

You sound like a spoiled child who didn't have something go his own way. Grow up and think about what you want to say before you spew the word vomit.

First disappointment.

Mods are handled by Gamespy, not by Steam.

And there are a ton of mods already out. Please check if the latest patch has been installed correctly, before there was a bug in the mod browser which let all mods disappear after some seconds.

I hate how steam causes that user error of not setting the update option properly.

Auto-update settings don't actually work very well for Civ5, not sure why. Running it in offline mode will prevent it from updating though.

No, running it in offline mode will not prevent it. Please check the Steam-FAQ, that's intended.

First disappointment.

The new patch sucks.

Steam sucks.

Go To HeLl.

Use "save policies" option on advanced settings

Download more balance iron on mod browser

Done.

Learn how to operate Steam... there is an option for turning off auto update

Unfortunately, this advice is just plain wrong. Seems that you're the one having to learn certain things about Steam.

I actually tested and verified it yesterday, since I got thick with all these false "advices" and "recommendations".

As soon as Steam is online, but has been set to "don't update automatically" AND you try to play the game, Steam notifies you "this game is currently unavailable. Please try later".
You have to update the game before you can proceed and play the game. Period.

The only way to avoid this is to have Steam running in "offline mode" and, if The_J is correct, in "don't automatically update", too.

The fact is you have to learn all the steam tricky stuff to just play a normal game.
I don't buy games to have to do this.
Fighting with Microsoft stuff is enough.

Anyway now i uninstalled the whole game. Anyway that's what i would have to do as the new patch was installed. But I won't reinstall it.

aguds, you really sound like the stupid one.

Moderator Action: Flaming
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

I've never had a problem conquering other cities and it's possible just to set the amount of resources on a map to "Legendary" or something. Complaining about a horse nerf is just petty.

Cultural policies can be stored if you go to the Advance Option menu so that's another point against your point.

The only thing worth mentioning in your post was Auto-update (which I fixed by going to offline mode) and not being able to resell the game (which hopefully taught you a lesson about consumerism). Especially since you'll be hardpressed trying to return PC games to brick-and-mortar stores these days. For instance, I tried to return SupCom to Walmart and they wouldn't let me A.) Get a new game or B.) Give me my money back. I literally had to go get the same game.

Edit: Nevermind about auto-update. I didn't go into offline mode. I simply unplugged my internet for a bit.

Good, farewell.
Let us enjoy the game we like without having to witness anymore rants.
Be they relevant, accurate, necessary or pointless.

He does have a point about Steam's broken auto-update. The resell thing is just a growing problem with PC gaming in general.

Top Bottom