The Sumerian Empire

Takeo

Shogun
The Sumerian Empire

This game was based around the idea of the AI having lots of units, like on Deity, but with a slow tech pace. It started out as a regent difficulty game to get the slow tech pace. Then other changes were made so the AI would have many units, lots of warfare, leaders and armies. Here are a few highlights of the rest of the mod(some changes may not make sense, just wanted to have fun!).

--All middle eastern and mediterranean civs-12 total--I'm playing Sumeria.
--Every civ has a new color.
--All civs are Militaristic, Religious and one other trait.
--Each civ starts with Warror Code or the Wheel.
--AI aggressiveness is at max.
--All techs are required and selective ones are very expensive.
--Communications trading is with Writing, map trading with Map Making.

--Heroic Epic moved to Warrior Code-no requirements.
--Military Academy moved to Feudalism-produces army every 10 turns.
--Intelligence Agency moved to Monarchy.
--Temple of Artemis produces a Warrior Monk every 3 turns.
--Statue of Zues requires horses, not ivory.

--Unit health points are conscript 3, regular 4, veteran 5, elite 7.
--Diplomat and spy missions reduced in price.

--Cost factor for AI is regent
--AI starts with 2 settlers and 4 workers.(a few civs get 3 settlers)
--Unit support bonus- 6 per city.
--AI to AI trade at 100
--Corruption at 80% of normal.

--All UU, except Enkidu warriors, discounted in price 60-70%.
--AI has 8 exclusive units at a 60-70% discount.
Examples-archer, guerilla and light tank.
--There are 5 units that Sumeria has substitute animation for and the AI gets a 50-60% discount on the original unit.
Example-Sumeria uses the rider animation for its knight, it is 70 shields and has an ADM of 4/3/2. The AI uses the knight animation(except Arabia) and it is 35 shields and an ADM of 4/3/2.
--Most other units are discounted around 40%-Sumeria shares this.
--Sumeria starts with Gilgamesh. He is a normal unit, not a king unit, and has swordsman stats and will start a Golden Age with a win. Enkidu warriors cannot start a GA, so Sumeria has a lone unit to start a GA with.
--New units- machinegunner, mercenary, light tank and warrior monk. The mercenary uses berserker animation and has no nationality.

It is a huge map, pangaea with a few islands, no barbs and all win conditions are available. Blah, blah, blah. Let's get to the game!

4000 B.C.
For generations the Sumerian people wandered thru the wilderness and had enjoyed their nomadic existence. The time of gathering roots, berries and chasing after wild game, were coming to an end though. Some Sumerians wanted to begin farming the land for food and others wanted to build shelters to have protection from predators and the elements. When their leader came down with a serious illness, the decision was finally made to stop and erect some shelters. The healers did all they could, but the Sumerian leader soon died. His son, Gudea, stepped in and lead the people in a time of mourning.
Later, acting on his fathers final words, Gudea declared the 'time of wandering' to be over. All the temporary shelters were slowly converted to more permanent dwellings and Gudea gave the settlement the name of Ur.

As the town's population grew, it became harder for Gudea to keep track of everything. To help him, a number of townsfolk were broght before Gudea, to keep him apprised of the current state of affairs. A team of six advisors was formed, each one an expert in a certain area of knowledge. Five of the new advisors left and quickly got to work, while the science advisor came before Gudea.

Gudea did not want to be involved in things he did not understand, at least for the time being. The direction of study was instantly approved. The domestic advisor was told to begin funding the research, but to always keep a positive flow of gold going into the treasury. Gudea wanted to be ready for anything that may come his way, that would require gold.(Masonry at min.)
Gilgamesh, friend of Gudea, helped to guard the town from predators, until a group of warriors could be trained to take over.

3750 B.C.
With Enkidu warriors now protecting the town, Gilgamesh sets out to explore the surrounding territory.

Gudea, remembering stories his father told him of other peoples of the world, commisions Gilgamesh to seek them out and befriend them.

2950 B.C.
Lord McCauley makes contact with the cultural advisor and reveals a list of the wealthiest tribes in the world.

Gudea smiles widely, seeing that Sumeria is on the list. The smile is brief, as he realizes that one of the tribes his father told him about is wealthier.

Gilgamesh has traveled all over the country surrounding Ur and has so far seen no others.

2850 B.C.
Gilgamesh makes contact with a tribe who call themselves the Ottomans.

Their leader, Osman, seems annoyed but says he is pleased that King Gudea is in good health.

After hearing the flattering words, Gudea is more than willing to trade knowledge with Osman.

The trade makes the science advisor very happy. Any science knowledge that he and his colleagues can look at, study and expand upon is welcome to them.
As Gilgamesh leaves the area, the Ottomans are no longer annoyed, but are still a bit cautious of their new neighbors.

King Gudea's advisors begin to bring in reports, about the Ottomans, that very same day.

Military Advisor-Compared to the Ottomans, we have a strong military!
Cultural Advisor-The Ottoman people are impressed with our culture.
Science Advisor-The knowledge of Warrior Code allows us to build a barracks-like project. This building will better train our military, so that during epic battles some will heroically step forward to lead the rest.

Gudea smiled; his advisors were working out great!

Sounds like a very intricate and interesting mod. Are you going to share it with the public?

Also, is that chariot army in your avvie something you made up or is it a hint of things to come in the story? :mischief:

Hurray Takeo is back!! :bounce: And this game could be even better than the last! [party] :dance: :band:

Mr David said:
Are you going to share it with the public?
Also, is that chariot army in your avvie something you made up or is it a hint of things to come in the story?

No, I don't really have the time or inclination to support the release of a mod and answer questions about it and work out bugs.:(
Anyway, there is nothing custom about the mod. All the changes could be done by anyone in their own editor. The added units are from [ptw] and [c3c]. There is an excellent tutorial in the creation forum that tells how to add units. A bunch of the changes were not really balanced against other changes in the mod.:blush: Just went thru making changes with abandon.
The mod has only been tested in the ancient age, who knows what will happen in the medieval and industrial.

As of yet, Gudea does not have a chariot army in game. I just think that the general standing there with a war banner looks cool!

2800 B.C.
A group of Enkidu warriors, out on patrol, comes across the ruins of an ancient city.

A few small buildings still stand on the edge of the former city, but the central part of the city is a pile of rubble. A few survivors tell of the cataclysm that struck the city. Speaking in hushed tones, as if fearful it may happen again, they tell that the ground shook violently one day, all the buildings came tumbling down, and the ground opened up and swallowed part of the city.
The Sumerian warriors move on, visibly shaken by the tragedy.

2710 B.C.
Enkidu warriors bring in news of two important resources to the west of Ur- horses & wine.

King Gudea- Send some warriors to secure the area and as soon as it's ready-bring me some wine!

2670 B.C.
Another earthquake-ravaged city is found; this one even larger than the first one found.

Gudea begins to wonder if this was a good area to settle in.

2510 B.C.
Gilgamesh, while exploring southwest of the Ottomans, has spotted a ship at sea.

He quickly climbs a hill and from the height is able to get the ship's attention. The vessel belongs to a seafaring people called the Byzantines, led by Theodora.

With his people having put their nomadic existence far behind them, Gudea agrees with Theodora to stand on the side of the civilized.

After the meeting ends, Gudea has his advisors brought in to report on this new foreign power.
Military Advisor- Our military is weak, compared to Theodora's. We should train more Enkidu warriors.
Foreign Advisor- The Byzantine nation is much larger than ours, with a total of five cities. Empress Theodora is annoyed with us, so be wary of her.
Science Advisor- The knowledge of Bronze Working, that she has, would not be of much use to us and would not improve our Enkidu warriors. But, superior methods and materials could lay beyond the use of bronze weapons. We may see a breakthru in the research of Masonry soon, and maybe it could be traded for Bronze Working, if that is your desire.

Gudea finally knew for sure that his people were not all alone in the world. He began to see the potential gain, if not threat, that all these new friends could bring.

2430 B.C.
To the southwest of Ur, a patrolling Enkidu has encountered the Babylonians and contact is made.

In spite of Hammurabi's superior attitude, Gudea smiles and attempts a trade of knowledge.

King Gudea leaves the trading session knowing that Hammurabi is arrogant and overconfident. He sits on his throne to ponder this new situation and then waves his advisors forward.
Only two of them have comments-
Military Advisor- My King, the Babylonians are weak! Unfortunately, knowledge of the Wheel could make them stronger.

King Gudea- You will receive increased funding, once you are done with Masonry. The knowledge of superior weapons can wait. First, you will find me a new way to communicate.

conquer_dude said:
And so this is on sid, am I correct?

It tells up in the first post all about the mod.
It started out as regent and then many changes made.
Basically, the AI will research and grow at regent speed, but will build units at deity speed.

Nice update.:D i knew you said something about regent it just kinda got me confused. :crazyeye:

Ahhh Takeo.You inspired me to join CivFanatics and start my own story.I LOVED your last story.But this one...I dont really like the kind of story where there is like a story,with different characters,and all that.I like the kind where you just post what happens,post your plans,all that stuff.I dont know why I dont like them,I just find them hard to read.But just cause I dont like it a little doesnt mean its not good.Good job Takeo,keep up the good work

If you make a mod or a map or anything you can make rubble overlay, unless those were cities destroyued by someone.

Thanks everyone! Glad you like it.

@SuperOmegaMan- I may be starting another story that would be just a gamelog, on Sid. Even if I did, my primary focus would still be this story here and the Sid one would probably be longer between updates.

@Mirc- Those piles of rubble are cities destroyed by earthquakes. You never know, another one could hit at any time.;)

Top Bottom