[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

Suggestion: Adding flags to the GOVERNMENTS that dictate what bonuses it can or cant have, such as immune to bribery or makes all citizens content or even happy (like a government of pure hedonism)

Example:
Code:
@GOVERNMENTS
Anarchy, Mr., Ms., 0, 0
Despotism, Emperor, Empress, 0, 0
Monarchy, King, Queen, 0, 0
Communism, Comrade, Comrade, 0, 0
Fundamentalism, High Priest, High Priestess, 0, 1
Republic, Consul, Consul, 0, 0
Democracy, President, President, 1, 0

Example of a government where the masses are so thoroughly brainwashed they are content and their cities are immune to bribery:
Code:
Brainwashing, Herpus Derpus, Herpus Derpina, 1, 1

A hedonism government where everyone is happy could be:
Code:
Hedonism, Lazy Bum, Lazy Bummess, 0, 2

Could something like this be possible? :)

Would it be possible to have more control of how much gold to give other civs as a gift? If I have a large treasury, by default I have the four choices of gift, but even the minimum amount is too much.

It would be cool to have fixed gold amounts (1000,5000,10000,20000) or reduce the multiple the game seems to pick, based on the player's treasury. Also to have more choices to pick what techs to give.

I know Lua has a neat diplomacy menu for gifts, but it has no effect on civ relations, it would be nice if Lua tech/city/gold gifts did boost the civ recipient's mood.

I know Lua has a neat diplomacy menu for gifts, but it has no effect on civ relations, it would be nice if Lua tech/city/gold gifts did boost the civ recipient's mood.

The diplomacy menu you refer to could also be tweaked to increase/decrease the other tribe's attitude. Now that you've played around with lua a bit, make sure you invest some time just looking through the functions thread to open up a host of possibilities.

attitude (get/set)
tribe.attitude[otherTribe] -> integer

Returns the tribe's attitude to `otherTribe`.

Hello guys! I'm using the TOTPP and I'm very glad that it let me still play this game nowadays! Unfortunately I'm having some issues...

I just noticed that no video gets played anymore. I tried putting the CD in, but it made it crash at the start and I've read here that TOTPP doesn't like the physical CD. So I tried copying the video files on TOT folders and playing it without the CD, but that makes it crash too. So are the problem the videos itself? Is it possible to fix this issue?
I'm pretty sure TOTPP worked well some time ago, because I started looking for fixes mainly because of video problems and I think I solved them all with TOTPP, so could it be some Win10 recent update? I could remember wrong anyway... maybe videos never worked and I just never noticed.

I'll be so glad if anyone can help me!

The diplomacy menu you refer to could also be tweaked to increase/decrease the other tribe's attitude. Now that you've played around with lua a bit, make sure you invest some time just looking through the functions thread to open up a host of possibilities.

I hear ya, sir - In my current Imperialism playthrough, I have been using the Lua dimplo menu a lot, handing over old warships to my allies...
And setting up stacks of artillery, then passing them over to another civ, on the borders of a mutual enemy...Good CIA-style fun!

I'd like to see that menu eventually become an augment to the regular F3 menu. It is really powerful, and has all the feautures to add so
much fun and complexity to civ relations. I shall look into the functions links and see what is kicking. :)

I've gotten to almost 270 cities, and I think I'll keep on expanding as there is still some land to explore...
Just hit the 300 mark, and only have Iceland, the caribean, indonesia and hawai left (and of course greenland and antartida but that's another story)...

Good to see people have an interest in Test of Time still.
It was always fun to conquer all of Earth and then setlle on Centaurus in the Original+.

I wouldn't mind playing it again, as the game did have some interesting scenarios such as Sci Fi and Midgard.

Is there supposed to be some installer for the dll piece? The instructions said there was, but nothing popped up. The game launches fine other than that.

Hello guys! I'm using the TOTPP and I'm very glad that it let me still play this game nowadays! Unfortunately I'm having some issues...

I just noticed that no video gets played anymore. I tried putting the CD in, but it made it crash at the start and I've read here that TOTPP doesn't like the physical CD. So I tried copying the video files on TOT folders and playing it without the CD, but that makes it crash too. So are the problem the videos itself? Is it possible to fix this issue?
I'm pretty sure TOTPP worked well some time ago, because I started looking for fixes mainly because of video problems and I think I solved them all with TOTPP, so could it be some Win10 recent update? I could remember wrong anyway... maybe videos never worked and I just never noticed.

I'll be so glad if anyone can help me!

I managed to better understand the problem. The crash is caused by the same patch that should solve video issues: the DirectShow video patch. If I uninstall it then videos plays without crash. If I install it then videos doesn't play (normally); if I put the cd on or if I copy the video folder on the video folder then it just crashes.

My problem is that if I just uninstall the DirectShow video patch (logic option at this point, you would tell me), videos doesn't exactly play right. I can only see the first frame (and eventually skip them). This on the best compatibility mode (Win 7). If I use previous compatibility (like Win XP) videos finally play perfectly, but the game doesn't. It gets so laggy to be almost unplayable, so this is not an option.

Can you tell me if I am the only one to have these problems?
How can I play on Win7 compatibility (which is smooth) but keeping working videos?

Hi all,

Does anyone know how the Extra Settler flags work. According to ToTPP:

Code:
Extra settler flags: Adds four extra flags to @UNITS_ADVANCED (column G), allowing configuration of behaviour originally hard-coded for settler-type units:
- Reduce population when built (bit 10, the rightmost bit is the first)
- Requires food support (bit 11)
- Can found cities (bit 12)
- Can improve tiles (bit 13) (can only be turned off for settler-type units, not on for regular units)
Due to the all these flags being hard-coded true for settler-type units in vanilla, you turn the behaviour OFF for them by setting the flag to 1, while for regular units you turn it ON by setting the flag to 1. Hence a 1 for any of these flags should be interpreted as "use the non-default behaviour".

I tried different combinations in the @UNITS_ADVANCED (column G) section of the rules file but without success, i.e. I can't get the Settler to follow the limits imposed by the flags:

Code:
@UNITS_ADVANCED
00000100, 00000000,-1, 0000000000000000,0000000000000000,0000000000000000, 1000000013121110  ; Settler
00100000, 00000000,-1, 0000000000000000,0000000000000000,0000000000000000, 10000000  ; Engineer
00100000, 00000000,-1, 0000000000000000,0000000000000000,0000000000000000, 10000010  ; Pikemen

Does anyone know how the Extra Settler flags work. According to ToTPP:

I tried different combinations in the @UNITS_ADVANCED (column G) section of the rules file but without success, i.e. I can't get the Settler to follow the limits imposed by the flags:

Code:
@UNITS_ADVANCED
00000100, 00000000,-1, 0000000000000000,0000000000000000,0000000000000000,00000010000000  ; Settler
                                                                          |||||      ||\_bit 1            
                                                                          |||||      |\_bit 2            
                                                                          |||||      \_bit 3              
                                                                          ||||\_Reduce Pop (Bit 10)            
                                                                          |||\_Requires Food Support (11)      
                                                                          ||\_Can Found Cities (12)
                                                                          |\_Can improve tiles (13)
                                                                          \_Bit 14

Change the indicated 0 to a 1 to toggle behaviour. "Bit 10" here means the 10th digit from the right controls the reduce population mechanic. For example, to untoggle city building (which I just tested), use

Code:
@UNITS_ADVANCED
11111111, 00000000, 0, 0000000000000000,0000000000000000,0000000000000000, 0100000000000  ;Settlers

Suggestions: as part of the patch could someone put in a code that would allow other units than that the dedicated spy unit to have spy abilities? (mostly in being reusable)? That way different factions could have flavor spies if the situation called for it or roleplay (such as roleplay where a spy needs to extract science knowledge but a commando unit can do special ops against an elite unit)

Hello @TheNamelessOne, I hope you're well. I'd like to offer some suggestions for future improvements to the Test of Time Patch Project, when you decide to work on it some more. These are things that I've thought about, some of which I think would be rather valuable, and others which are a bit less so, but might be easy to do. These are my perceptions (although I have done quite a bit of coding in Lua to support the Lua Events), and others might think differently (feel free to comment if you think so).

Addition: Run the onActivateUnit event when a unit is selected from the city screen.

Reason: At the moment, events relying on unit activation have to account for the fact that they don't always run when a new unit is activated.

Existing Workaround: Have players always select units within cities using the 'a' button from the map. This is unsatisfying, since it is so hard to remember to do.

Perceived Importance: High. I don't think any scenario feature will be scrapped if this isn't fixed, but it complicates development of most events, and onActivateUnit is quite powerful.

Addition: Make onActivateUnit trigger on every tile for human players (it already does this for the AI).

Reason: Would allow imposing costs for moving units; could be used to make exploring more difficult (by deducting extra movement points if nearby tiles haven't been explored); probably other stuff I haven't thought of. Would also make the city activation less vital.

Existing Workaround: Re-activating the unit every movement. Not practical. If the activation yields a bonus, the player can be expected to do it when necessary, so it isn't all bad.

Notes: Some existing code relies on the existing mechanic where the activation function isn't re-activated every square (I think @JPetroski has a project where leader attack bonuses are supposed to persist after the unit leaves the leader's square, for example). Backwards compatibility should be considered here.

Perceived Importance: Medium. At least in my experience, I haven't really missed having this feature, though I recognize its usefulness.

Addition: Sound file swapping. E.g. changing the movement sound when different units are active.

Reason: Makes the scenario more immersive.

Existing Workaround: This hasn't been tried, but presumably the hard coded sound file could be overwritten. I'm very wary of recommending overwriting files as standard practice, which is a large part of the reason I haven't attempted this.

Perceived Importance: Medium. I remember addressing this in at least 2 separate threads separated by some time.

Addition: Select game music from within the scenario folder. That is, if a scenario ships with a custom folder of music, play that music instead of the music that in <ToTDir>\Music.

Reason: Makes the scenario more immersive.

Existing Workaround: Use the "Custom Music Patch" I wrote. The custom music patch is less than ideal because it involves a separate installation procedure and regularly overwriting files in <ToTDir>\Music.

Perceived Importance: Low. I don't think anyone is working on a scenario that takes advantage of custom music. However, I suggest it since it seems like it might be easy to do, and taking advantage of the feature would be relatively easy also.

Addition: Extra music in the <ToTDir>\Music directory. Perhaps a selection menu that gets track names from the file names.

Reason: Different music can be desirable.

Existing Workaround: Use the "Custom Music Patch" I wrote. This is less than ideal, since it regularly overwrites files in <ToTDir>\Music to work, requires editing a "playlist" file, and the music selection menu doesn't show the actual files.

Perceived Importance: Low to Medium. This part of the custom music patch was written based on someone's request, but it also works better in this context than for scenario music. I suggest it might be worth doing if it is easy.

Addition: Provide an event to change the unit that defends a tile.

Reason: We can change the combat stats of units, but we can't change the order of defence, which causes some limitations. We could give an Anti Tank gun a bonus versus Tanks, but the tank would defend even if there is infantry on the square. For an existing example, JPetroski's Cold War 1947 scenario has air protected stacks, but we would like fighters to be able to attack air units and not be defended by ground units below.

Existing Workaround: Use a key press event to 'simulate' the desired combat. This is done in Cold War 1947. Alternatively, use onActivateUnit to change the defensive stats of units. This would quickly get complicated, and still wouldn't allow units to defend differently on terrain.

Perceived Importance: High. This offers a lot of control, and the possible workarounds aren't easy, or break the flow.

Addition: Override rush build costs via event.

Reason: This would allow units to be rush built without incremental rushing or paying very high costs per shield. Generally, would allow for an easy way to fine-tune the value of gold.

Existing Workaround: Use a key press event to deduct gold and fill the shield box. I'm not sure the AI rush builds anyway.

Perceived Importance: Low. The existing work around should do pretty well if someone actually needs this feature.

Addition: Provide an event to override the caravan bonus.

Reason: Would allow better balance for caravans. Personally, I'd like to be able to remove the distance from the calculation as well as the separate continent bonus.

Existing Workaround: Instead of delivering a caravan, use key press event adjacent to the city, or something of that nature. (Haven't really tried.)

Perceived Importance: High. Well, I think it's high, but it might not bother others so much. If this is difficult, it might be worth asking other how much they want it.

Alternate Solution: Provide the ability to change the caravan payout fraction field via event, rather than just in the rules.txt. With onActivatUnit (especially if it activates every square), this would get pretty close to a direct override.

Addition: Being able to add and remove trade routes between cities.

Reason: Would allow disruption of trade due to war or blockade.

Existing Workaround: None that I can think of.

Perceived Importance: High. Again, I think it's high, but it might not be so important to others.

Just hit the 300 mark, and only have Iceland, the caribean, indonesia and hawai left (and of course greenland and antartida but that's another story)...
I've passed the 350 cities going on 400 but came into some what of a megalomaniac project...
Has anyone ever tried to colonize antartica on giant earth map? It's pretty much what's left at least on earth and I just started to plan it and I realized that e need around 50 engineers to transform the land around each city for about 10 or 15 turns and just to transform it into plains... that's massive and I have more than 600 engineers working the earth right now... any ideas? Or is it impossible to do?

Is it possible to restore the airfield "bug"? The one in regular Civ 2 that treats airfields as having railroads and farmlands? For pre-modern scenarios, it allowed a bit of flavor, like it was used as villages in Crescent and Cross and Monasteries in Fading Lights. Both were wonderful flavor.

Top Bottom