The thread for space cadets!

A megawatt version of this would allow for real, repeatable, sustainable interplanetary travel. It's exciting in ways I cannot even describe just to think about it.

Oh gods, not VASIMR again :suicide: The most hyped-up thing ever among space fans. It's absolutely not viable for *PILOTED* missions to Mars.

It'd take dozens of Saturn V's worth of fuel and a rocket we'd have to build in space, but it's possible. Expensive, too.

No. It can be done with a couple (2-3) Saturn-V class launchers, or a greater number of smaller launchers at the cost of increased mission complexity, scheduling constrains, and risk to the crew.

You're right that a manned mission to Mars is possible with present-day technology (with some necessary R&D effort to develop concepts into working prototypes) and the only reason why it hasn't been done is the lack of political will in the US (and elsewhere, but realistically speaking no Mars mission is happening unless the US sits in the pilot's chair. At least until the Chinese decide to do that.)

I'd be interested to hear some space dudes' opinions on Mars to Stay. Is that too sci-fi? In terms of budgets alone, wouldn't a permanent settlement require a hell of a lot more resources and support than a return trip? Obviously permanent settlement is better in terms of awesomeness, but would it really be feasible before we decided to just send some visitors?

It depends on who's paying for the whole thing. Governments will *not* fund any mission based on the Mars-to-stay profile. There are several reasons for that - they don't want to commit to an indefinite expenditure, and they don't want to take the risk of losing crews. They want to score political points and have heroes back on Earth to flaunt. Scientifically speaking, bringing back human-picked samples is important because facilities on Earth can analyse them in much greater detail.

If private subjects ever manage to launch such an enterprise, they might well take much greater risks. I am sure there are plenty of people on Earth who would happily sign up to be the first permanent inhabitants of Mars, knowing well they would never return to Earth. Since science will be only a secondary objective of such endeavour, a lot more energy could be expended to actually create a proper, self-sufficient habitat on Mars.

The way I see it, the first missions will be return trips of small crews with prolonged surface stay (1.5 earth years). Then perhaps a semi-permanent base to test technologies enabling long-term habitation, and then permanent colonies.

(I've been reading Red Mars and getting impatient that we're not on our way yet. :))

That is an excellent book, way ahead of its time in so many things. Possibly the best hard sci-fi ever written.

VASIMR! Someone else knows about it! I'm trying to focus my studies to learn about it.

Please do, we need more people out there to combat the hype.

The reason I'm skeptical (amidst other things, such as "proper robotic preparation") is because there is for real no reason to colonize Mars...

...at least not in the sense that we as a culture are commonly attuned to thinking about "colonization." You know, the pursuit of a virgin new world with arable land and rights to property. Whatever. Point being that it won't be colonization as we know it for any of the reasons that we have done it historically. At first, virtually the only benefits would be scientific. So, yeah, I guess you could start out by making a colony of scientists. This isn't really colonization as we know it.

There are significant deposits of unobtanium and gold-pressed-latinum...

I think you have a good point about the sterility(?) of Mars - it's sort of like colonizing a Sahara Desert at the south pole - like our outpost in Antarctica in fact. It'll be inhospitable, initially uninhabitable and prohibitively expensive - ie., made for robots. For human colonization, we would have to constantly be sending supply ships until (underground?) earth-norm habitats could be constructed on a large scale. There's just no end to the expense, and science research alone cannot justify more than a robotic presence.

MASSIVE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY would be required to start and maintain the initial human colony. And there's just no Lyndon Baynes Johnson around these days.

There are significant deposits of unobtanium and gold-pressed-latinum...

I think you have a good point about the sterility(?) of Mars - it's sort of like colonizing a Sahara Desert at the south pole - like our outpost in Antarctica in fact. It'll be inhospitable, initially uninhabitable and prohibitively expensive - ie., made for robots. For human colonization, we would have to constantly be sending supply ships until (underground?) earth-norm habitats could be constructed on a large scale. There's just no end to the expense, and science research alone cannot justify more than a robotic presence.

MASSIVE GOVERNMENT SUBSIDY would be required to start and maintain the initial human colony. And there's just no Lyndon Baynes Johnson around these days.

Sigh. No. Making a small settlement 99% self-sustaining fairly quickly isn't out of the realm of possibility, especially with more and more advanced emergent technology. Raw materials can be got on Mars, energy can be produced on Mars, food can be grown on Mars, breathable air can be manufactured on Mars, and fuels can be refined on Mars. In principle, there is everything a human society needs to survive indefinitely and independently.

In practice, in the beginning the colony would of course require some support from Earth, but this support would consist of sending hi-tech spare parts which couldn't be yet manufactured locally (say, microchips, medical equipment), complex chemicals (drugs, special industrial compounds), luxury goods (a bottle of good champagne would probably be worth its weight in diamonds :) ), satellites (because it would take some time for the colonist to acquire an independent spaceflight capability), and more people, of course. This means the mass of supplies needed annually to sustain the colony wouldn't be very high - probably in tonnes, rather than tens of tonnes. This means only a few Ariane-5 class rocket launches per year would be needed after the initial (large) investment into establishing the colony had been made.

There is no reason to be pessimistic and believe that the early colonies would be a huge money dump that would put terrible strain on budgets. Maintaining them would be perfectly affordable for any medium/large-sized developed country with a decent space programme. Since this job would most likely be outsourced to private companies and awarded based on the lowest price offer, it might end up being pretty cheap, all things considered.

Sigh. No. Making a small settlement 99% self-sustaining fairly quickly isn't out of the realm of possibility, especially with more and more advanced emergent technology. Raw materials can be got on Mars, energy can be produced on Mars, food can be grown on Mars, breathable air can be manufactured on Mars, and fuels can be refined on Mars. In principle, there is everything a human society needs to survive indefinitely and independently.

In practice, in the beginning the colony would of course require some support from Earth, but this support would consist of sending hi-tech spare parts which couldn't be yet manufactured locally (say, microchips, medical equipment), complex chemicals (drugs, special industrial compounds), luxury goods (a bottle of good champagne would probably be worth its weight in diamonds :) ), satellites (because it would take some time for the colonist to acquire an independent spaceflight capability), and more people, of course. This means the mass of supplies needed annually to sustain the colony wouldn't be very high - probably in tonnes, rather than tens of tonnes. This means only a few Ariane-5 class rocket launches per year would be needed after the initial (large) investment into establishing the colony had been made.
There is no reason to be pessimistic and believe that the early colonies would be a huge money dump that would put terrible strain on budgets. Maintaining them would be perfectly affordable for any medium/large-sized developed country with a decent space programme. Since this job would most likely be outsourced to private companies and awarded based on the lowest price offer, it might end up being pretty cheap, all things considered.

Sigh. I didn't say impossible. I said expensive. What you say in your first paragraph is all true and I wish for it. But support from Earth will be very expensive in the initial outlays - say the first generation or so. It would require sustained political support from powerful politicians and an interested public. This doesn't appear to be the case today. Again, there's no LBJ.

It will be a good while before a human colony can become self-sustaining, and the moment it does so, it will become an independent deadbeat like some teenager moving out of the house thumbing his nose at his parents who spent a hundred thousand dollars raising him.

And my pessimism comes from my lifetime of watching the American space program reach the dramatic heights of the late Neal Armstrong's "...one small step," and it's long sad decline since. We don't even have the Shuttle anymore. We don't have a decent space program anymore. The American public has largely turned away, lost interest. Space budgets are shrinking to make way for Obamacare for our aging population. Private companies will need government payouts, which will cease come the next administration or economic downturn. Or do you think that will continue indefinitely?

It will be a good while before a human colony can become self-sustaining,

What I am saying, perhaps I haven't made that clear enough, is that IF we ever decide to found a real colony on Mars, it will be made overwhelmingly self-sustaining from the very beginning. Simply because it is the most sensible way of going about space colonization.

and the moment it does so, it will become an independent deadbeat like some teenager moving out of the house thumbing his nose at his parents who spent a hundred thousand dollars raising him.

Something like America, then? :mischief: I am fine with that. Maybe when the Martians send out the first interstellar expeditions to show the Earthlings how stuff's done, we might find some pride in the knowledge it was we who made the Martians.

And my pessimism comes from my lifetime of watching the American space program reach the dramatic heights of the late Neal Armstrong's "...one small step," and it's long sad decline since. We don't even have the Shuttle anymore. We don't have a decent space program anymore. The American public has largely turned away, lost interest. Space budgets are shrinking to make way for Obamacare for our aging population. Private companies will need government payouts, which will cease come the next administration or economic downturn. Or do you think that will continue indefinitely?

I think that we're quickly approaching a time when space travel will become far more affordable than ever before in history. This will open space for all kinds of subjects, government and private, and space will become literally the new playground of humanity (for better or for worse, we as a species are perfectly capable of both).

It might well happen that the governments will send people to Mars only to prevent not other countries, but private subjects, from beating them to it. Future is not set in stone, and I choose to be optimistic about space.

What I am saying, perhaps I haven't made that clear enough, is that IF we ever decide to found a real colony on Mars, it will be made overwhelmingly self-sustaining from the very beginning. Simply because it is the most sensible way of going about space colonization.

Something like America, then? :mischief: .

Sensible way? Well then it's doomed from the start.

Like America:lol:? That's interesting. Is that how the Crown thinks:mischief: of America?

Look, I'm not entirely in disagreement with your arguments. But have you seen the US Congress recently? They can't get a quorum on lunch! And I'm old enough to remember the riders stuck to NASA funding in the 80's requiring minority hiring to paste tiles on the Space Shuttles - and two of them crashed when tiles fell off!

Oh gods, not VASIMR again :suicide: The most hyped-up thing ever among space fans. It's absolutely not viable for *PILOTED* missions to Mars.

Not true! Large VASIMR engines would give considerable thrust at excellent specific impulses. If leveraged properly, it would be the kind of space travel that we all want - fast and easy.

Chemical rockets are something we should move away from, especially for deep-space travel. The idea has always been to find the right "fuel," but unfortunately we've dug out the mine on that one. Electrical propulsion is the future.

No. It can be done with a couple (2-3) Saturn-V class launchers, or a greater number of smaller launchers at the cost of increased mission complexity, scheduling constrains, and risk to the crew.

I was paraphrasing a bit (okay, a lot, I didn't get the details right, but you catch my drift ^^).

Even "just" 2 or 3 Saturn-V class launchers is something on a scale we haven't really approached yet. What's more, it's something you'd have to set up anew every time you wanted to hop something over there. The problem isn't getting to Mars; we could go there now. It's getting to Mars twice, as I said. Ideal Mars mission profiles include measures for sustaining the travel bridge between the planets, rather than tying the expeditions together by separate, full-fledged start-from-scratch launches.

edit: Hell, a Falcon Heavy could do it. I just consider it a lack of the imagination to start on Earth when much more efficient capabilities exist if we were only willing to invest (and I don't just mean VASIMR). :gripe:

That is an excellent book, way ahead of its time in so many things. Possibly the best hard sci-fi ever written.

Speaking of hype. ;)

Winner said:

Winner said:

Now I'm afraid you've lost me. What makes you think that this brand new problem with logistical nightmares of immense quality can be solved both quickly and cheaply, let alone effectively? I mean, I suppose in terms of concrete resources and discrete possibilities all of the individual technologies are there and certainly existent to allow a sustainable Mars base to exist theoretically, but bringing them together is a task of monumental proportions.

I see this kind of overestimation often, by both people within and without the field. Generally, and I don't want to lump you in with these types, by people who see a documentary on the Discovery channel about how we could be building magic space ships right now if only those incompetents at NASA would get on it! It betrays such a critical misunderstanding of the complexities at hand, both in systems engineering and integrated spacecraft design in general that I don't even really know where to start.

I guess what I mean to say is that while you aren't technically wrong, I just don't see such a program going off cheaply, quickly, and correctly. An old NASA saying is "pick any two," not because of incompetence per se, but because the technical iniquities of the task don't exactly make it so easily approachable from a top-down procedural development perspective.

@Crezth
This is what I meant about robotic preparation:
The first mission would land a fuel factory on the surface, as well as a return vehicle. It would be launched straight from Earth. The second mission would have the Mars mission screw, and they'd return after a couple months on the surface in the return vehicle which by then hopefully had enough fuel to return home.
This is an idea that originated with Robert Zubrin, and he and others have fleshed it out pretty thoroughly.

It's really not that hard to imagine a colony being sent with the kinds of equipment needed to be mostly self sufficient if we have the technology to get them there in the first place. (Water recyclers, O2 generators that make it from Martian air, etc. -->These things exist on the ISS and in labs)

@Glassfan
Do you know how much the original Battlestar-to-Mars was expected to cost? (George HW Bush's program to get to Mars)
$100 Billion. It was seen as exhorbitantly expensive

How much has the Iraq war cost?
$700+ Billion

It's all about priorities. Even if it ended up costing over $100B, that doesn't really amount to a whole lot in the scope of the bigger budget. I also contest the fact that it will cost that much initially.

Not true! Large VASIMR engines would give considerable thrust at excellent specific impulses. If leveraged properly, it would be the kind of space travel that we all want - fast and easy.

What's not true - that it is hyped beyond all sensible proportion? I am afraid that is very much the case. Haven't we been over this in a few other threads? I think I even posted a few nice video where people succinctly debunk the "fast and easy" myth. Basically, unless you have a magical power source with huge energy outputs per kilogram of mass, VASIMR ends up being comparable to other electric propulsion systems. It has a few nice features (like the ability to shift gears, trading thrust for ISp and vice versa), but it is limited by the same problems we have with other EPS.

Chemical rockets are something we should move away from, especially for deep-space travel. The idea has always been to find the right "fuel," but unfortunately we've dug out the mine on that one. Electrical propulsion is the future.

I am not arguing for sticking to chemical propulsion (however, for launches from Earth, it will remain the only viable alternative for a looooong time to come, and we both know that getting stuff from the surface to LEO is the single most difficult part of any endeavour in space).

Personally, I see nuclear-thermal as the way to go in the inner solar system. IF (big letters IF) a proper power source is developed for use in deep space to power ion/plasma drives, then EPS can be used for travels there. It's just that if we ever get such a source of power, most likely a fusion reactor of some sort, it will probably easier to go straight for fusion drives (either of the "leaky" magnetic bottle type, or inertial confinement fusion) - that will remove the need to have a separate energy source and propulsion systems, which wreaks havoc to mass ratios.

Even "just" 2 or 3 Saturn-V class launchers is something on a scale we haven't really approached yet. What's more, it's something you'd have to set up anew every time you wanted to hop something over there. The problem isn't getting to Mars; we could go there now. It's getting to Mars twice, as I said. Ideal Mars mission profiles include measures for sustaining the travel bridge between the planets, rather than tying the expeditions together by separate, full-fledged start-from-scratch launches.

I think Zubrin pretty much solved that problem a long time ago (despite his latter craziness ;) ). It's just a matter of how much risk are you willing to accept in the early flights. Case in point: aerocapture. Using it saves you a lot of propellant, but mission designers usually avoid it like plague. Another one - ISRU fuel production, again, huge mass savings, largely ignored by NASA mission designers because it is deemed to be too much of a risk.

edit: Hell, a Falcon Heavy could do it. I just consider it a lack of the imagination to start on Earth when much more efficient capabilities exist if we were only willing to invest (and I don't just mean VASIMR). :gripe:

Explain how will VASIMR make a *PILOTED* Mars mission easier. You may only use realistic present-day or near-term technologies to make your point.

Speaking of hype. ;)

That's not hype. It's a very rich and deep book. I remember when I first read it, I could almost imagine myself being on Mars with the characters. Not many hard sci-fi books can do that.

Now I'm afraid you've lost me. What makes you think that this brand new problem with logistical nightmares of immense quality can be solved both quickly and cheaply, let alone effectively? I mean, I suppose in terms of concrete resources and discrete possibilities all of the individual technologies are there and certainly existent to allow a sustainable Mars base to exist theoretically, but bringing them together is a task of monumental proportions.

I see this kind of overestimation often, by both people within and without the field. Generally, and I don't want to lump you in with these types, by people who see a documentary on the Discovery channel about how we could be building magic space ships right now if only those incompetents at NASA would get on it! It betrays such a critical misunderstanding of the complexities at hand, both in systems engineering and integrated spacecraft design in general that I don't even really know where to start.

I guess what I mean to say is that while you aren't technically wrong, I just don't see such a program going off cheaply, quickly, and correctly. An old NASA saying is "pick any two," not because of incompetence per se, but because the technical iniquities of the task don't exactly make it so easily approachable from a top-down procedural development perspective.

I tend to avoid American space documentaries on TV, because they make me want to yell at the screen and throw heavy objects at it because of the amount of disinformation and stupid simplifications in them.

My point here is that if we are building a *colony*, not a research base, a real honest to gods colony, then it will be designed to be extremely self-sufficient from the very beginning. It will likely build on the experience accumulated during previous missions.

I can be far more sceptical than you are when I see pie in the sky space projects some people propose (like VASIMR for manned missions to Mars :p ), but I am not *pessimistic* about the problem-solving abilities of the people who will make this happen. If a Mars project were to cost trillions of dollars, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Period. Which is why it won't cost that much. Where there is ambition, better solutions will be found.

I can be far more sceptical than you are when I see pie in the sky space projects some people propose (like VASIMR for manned missions to Mars :p ), but I am not *pessimistic* about the problem-solving abilities of the people who will make this happen. If a Mars project were to cost trillions of dollars, IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Period. Which is why it won't cost that much. Where there is ambition, better solutions will be found.

Yeah man, read my post at the bottom of the last page. Earth-based launches to Mars are now a possibility and probably the way to go in terms of cost and political reality.

It's really not that hard to imagine a colony being sent with the kinds of equipment needed to be mostly self sufficient if we have the technology to get them there in the first place. (Water recyclers, O2 generators that make it from Martian air, etc. -->These things exist on the ISS and in labs)

That's actually where Zubrin is on his weakest - his belief that closed-loop life support systems are a trivial matter. They're not. What we have on ISS is wholly insufficient for any realistic humans-to-Mars mission (too heavy, too inefficient, too unreliable).

BUT, it's not an insurmountable obstacle. Fortunately, technologies needed to make a good enough LSS are the same we want to develop anyway to keep this planet habitable (I mean, with enough clean water, air, and food to sustain billions of humans in a slighly larger closed ecosystem ;) ), so no idiot can rant about money being "wasted" in the space programme.

@Winner
I don't see how ISRU is a big risk if you send it before hand and let it crank out the consumables and delay the launch of people until it's made enough.

Also, out of curiousity, how did Zubrin go crazy? (I like his stuff on Mars, but I don't follow him very closely)

Also, I don't really know anything about Zubrin's belief on closed-loop life support. All I really know about is his work on ISRU. (In Situ Resource Utilization for the non-nerds. We should avoid technotalk and as much as possible and give explanations where possible to keep the thread inviting to the unitiated.)

As far as launch costs go - I think everyone is underestimating the impact COTS will have on launch costs as the markets open up to new players. SpaceX has a stated goal of bringing down launch cost by a factor of 10. Eventually it could even become cheap enough (with enough players in the game and new technologies) that replacing chemical rockets will become a moot point for a long time.

What's not true - that it is hyped beyond all sensible proportion? I am afraid that is very much the case. Haven't we been over this in a few other threads? I think I even posted a few nice video where people succinctly debunk the "fast and easy" myth. Basically, unless you have a magical power source with huge energy outputs per kilogram of mass, VASIMR ends up being comparable to other electric propulsion systems. It has a few nice features (like the ability to shift gears, trading thrust for ISp and vice versa), but it is limited by the same problems we have with other EPS.

There is! It's hardly the only example of nuke power for aerospace applications, either. It's one of the digressions I wish we had stuck with when we started it.

Without power, VASIMR is nothing special. You're right about that, but I also feel like that's not a very relevant point. The goal at that junction is then to get power, and ideas abound for just such a thing. I am not so skeptical that it's impossible to do so and I hold out the sincere belief that when it is accomplished, it will be the ideal solution for interplanetary travel. Barring, you know, some quirky quantum drives that involve stuff that is well above my pay grade.

I am not arguing for sticking to chemical propulsion (however, for launches from Earth, it will remain the only viable alternative for a looooong time to come, and we both know that getting stuff from the surface to LEO is the single most difficult part of any endeavour in space).

For now. I don't say it has to be tomorrow. But the possibility is distinct and there. I wouldn't ever call VASIMR overhyped since the blocks to its implementation aren't theoretical, simply practical.

And even without VASIMR, there is nuclear-thermal as I linked to before. I actually knew very little about it until a friend who has done a lot of research into the topic enlightened me a few months ago. It was refreshing to see such a clearheaded alternative to chemical propulsion that could have been implemented as early as 32 years ago.

Personally, I see nuclear-thermal as the way to go in the inner solar system. IF (big letters IF) a proper power source is developed for use in deep space to power ion/plasma drives, then EPS can be used for travels there. It's just that if we ever get such a source of power, most likely a fusion reactor of some sort, it will probably easier to go straight for fusion drives (either of the "leaky" magnetic bottle type, or inertial confinement fusion) - that will remove the need to have a separate energy source and propulsion systems, which wreaks havoc to mass ratios.

Oh, hell, you beat me to the punch. No argument here.

I think Zubrin pretty much solved that problem a long time ago (despite his latter craziness ;) ). It's just a matter of how much risk are you willing to accept in the early flights. Case in point: aerocapture. Using it saves you a lot of propellant, but mission designers usually avoid it like plague. Another one - ISRU fuel production, again, huge mass savings, largely ignored by NASA mission designers because it is deemed to be too much of a risk.

To be perfectly fair to the mission designers, their instinct for unnecessary risk aversion is good. Aerocapture is anything but a simple problem.

Explain how will VASIMR make a *PILOTED* Mars mission easier. You may only use realistic present-day or near-term technologies to make your point.

Well, you se-

I posted about VASIMR because a theoretical high Isp, high thrust engine - especially one that doesn't even demand fuel as we know it - is SSTO with good payload ratio and reusability. Holy hell, man. That's the whole package!

Exciting, but not yet feasible. A man can dream, though.

That's not hype. It's a very rich and deep book. I remember when I first read it, I could almost imagine myself being on Mars with the characters. Not many hard sci-fi books can do that.

I was being partially facetious.

I tend to avoid American space documentaries on TV, because they make me want to yell at the screen and throw heavy objects at it because of the amount of disinformation and stupid simplifications in them.

Good man.

My point here is that if we are building a *colony*, not a research base, a real honest to gods colony, then it will be designed to be extremely self-sufficient from the very beginning. It will likely build on the experience accumulated during previous missions.

Well, yeah. It'd have to be from the outset. I just sincerely doubt we can start on that with first contact.

I never proposed VASIMR for manned missions to Mars (yet :mischief:), I simply mused on its notable qualities. My only qualm with many of the proposed Mars ideas is they seem to underestimate the difficulties of the task and overestimate the logistical capability to start doing the hardest thing ever done by humans immediately. We can afford to take it slow, and part of that is making sure we can go there regularly.

So anyone want to talk about failed programs (like in the OP)? Or any other subjects?

I could talk about Mars colonization all day long, just curious if there any other subjects that would be fun to cover for other posters.

So anyone want to talk about failed programs (like in the OP)? Or any other subjects?

I could talk about Mars colonization all day long, just curious if there any other subjects that would be fun to cover for other posters.

There is an exciting mission on its way to Pluto.

First one ever, IIRC.

It is the first one and I can't wait for the photographs.

It's a pretty remarkable spacecraft. It's just too bad they couldn't put it into orbit around Pluto. Maybe they can send it toward a Kuiper belt object after the flyby?

Pluto has got about 5 times more interesting since New Horizons was launched. We now know it has a few (four :lol: ) more moons, all in weirdly regular resonant orbits. I am still hoping for a big black monolith though. Or a mass relay :mischief:

It's a pretty remarkable spacecraft. It's just too bad they couldn't put it into orbit around Pluto. Maybe they can send it toward a Kuiper belt object after the flyby?

That's the plan. It is supposed to study the outer reaches of the Solar System, not just Pluto.

@Crezth - I'll get back to you later, too tired now :)

Well, if one is to believe the Soviet engineers, N-1 almost succeeded during the final test launch. They were confident that the next one would have been successful, but the programme was cancelled at that point.

Damn shame, if you ask me.

Top Bottom