The Tribal Elders of Delphi

So I did some maths and realised just why the Siamese are so unhappy, and why Alexander got shanked.

The population of the Kingdom of Siam on the eve of the war was about 900 000.

Now, twenty years after rebuilding the population of the Siamese cities of the Delphian kingdom are only up to about 200 000.

700 000 Siamese must have been put to the sword, fled, starved or died of disease.

Wow.

For comparison, the population of Delphi Nova is about 800 000 (the population of the entire kingdom, including the Siamese cities is about double that).

((That's one of the aspects I find realistically done in Civ, besides the balance part of course, we wouldn't want a 5-turns-ago conquered city fully functional like that, as it would snowball too hard game-wise.
But even without that, it's easy to understand that during a war, and while conquering a city, many of its citizens can be killed.

Most probably, all army personnel are killed since they represent a risk. All of the commanding personnel, killed. And then, the resisting population. In a genocide conquest, then... It's even worst. :ar15:))

Melodas Melodopoulos, Basileus of the Delphians and the Siamese stood at the base of an enormous mountain in the frigid lands of Islandia. They had arrived.

An old man swathed in furs and animal hides approached and squinted up at the foreigner. He smiled and said something incomprehensible. Although Melodas thought he said the name 'Melda', he shrugged it off as unlikely.

An Islandian trader came to assist. "I know your tongue," he explained. "This is our Elder. He say he welcome you, Melda-kin."

Melodas was taken aback. "He knows who I am?" he asked the translator. Out the corner of his eye he saw his bodyguards grip their sword hilts tightly, expecting treachery.

The Islandian translator cocked his head. "He recognise you as Melda-kin."

How was that possible? It had been more than half a century since Melda had left these lands. Neither he nor any of his descendants had travelled here in any of the years since.

Melodas led the Islandians to the cart that contained Melda's body, and looked within. Strangely, Old Melda's face still looked happy, relaxed and at peace. The Elder gave a command and several Islandians came to collect the body. They recognised one of their own despite his Delphian dress.

"He thank you for return him to home. To his people."

"What will become of him?" Melodas asked as his grandfather's body was carried away reverently.

The Islandian paused in thought before speaking. "We are rock and ice. We are of the mountain. When we die we return to the mountain." He pointed upward, toward the summit of the great mountain.

"Returned? As in . . . left in there?"

The Islandian was confused. "I not understand. What do Delphi-kin do?"

"We cremate them on a pyre," he explained absently, distracted by the sight of his grandfather being carried away.

"I do not know these word," the trader looked confused. "Can you explain?"

"Ah, it means burn. We burn them."

The Islandian's eyes widen in horror at the thought.

"No burn here, Melda-kin. He rejoin the mountain. Come, funeral begin soon."

Melodas felt almost detached from his body as he felt his legs carry him forward, toward where the Islandians were readying the funerary preparations.

To clarify, these narrative offerings are just to keep things ticking over while people decide what to campaign on.

And by 'campaigning', it can be as simple as saying, for example (not that I'm endorsing or dis-endorsing this example because I'm impartial here):

My intention, should I become Chief Minister is to:

• declare war on the Chinese
  • eradicate Protestantism to ensure Hellenism dominance
  • give Siamese priests and aristocrats a vote in the next Synedrian elections, but only if they follow Hellenism
  • Convert all the farms around Delphi Nova to mines
  • Build Colossus in Kirrha
  • Build as many workers in Delphi Nova as possible
  • Build a scout in Dostana
  • Give Apollonia away to the Shoshone
  • Burn the world
  • Colonise the moon

Aplistios couldn’t believe his good luck. No longer would he have to hide out in Dostana with his phony “royal” commission seeking a non-existent passage through the ice. Representation could mean the end of his exile, a chance to pay back his creditors and then some. It was more opportunity than he would ever have imagined.

He called his porters and had them gather up his meager belongings. As they carried him back along the Melodian highway towards Delphi he talked made sure to garner an invitation from all the noble houses along the way. And told them of how he understood their special circumstance. And who better than he to represent them all. He had been everywhere. Born in Kirrha, served on the council in Delphi and for the last few years lived in Dostana.

He knew how Dostana had been neglected, when was the last time workers had improved the land this far East. The East had been forgotten by the council but Aplistios could make them see its value again. He could see what a bright future it had, with a stoneworks it would have the happiness to grow and the production to quickly make another work boat, it would be the glittering jewel of the empire.

In Delphi he would build a coliseum to keep the empires growing population happy and content. He would spend a small part of the overflowing treasury on a workboat in Apollonia too to get that city growing and acquire another luxury. Soon the rest of the world would see the need to trade again. Then the empire would have all that it wanted, all that it deserved…and with a little luck Aplistios would too (evil laugh).

Also, don't be afraid to spell out your ideological positions, warlike/peaceful dispositions and religious intentions. :p

Leonidas Siomaios was young and a man of the military, but he was not that fond of war. He was just a child when Delphi conquered Siam but he had heard that a lot of people died in the war, and he didn't like people dying. Instead, he wanted for Delphi to show a more civilised side of itself.

The following is his program for what he would do as Chief Minister:

- Focus on Philosophy and Education rather than warfare and military technology. Build Libraries in Dostana and Apollonia and then a National College in Delphi Nova. The pen is mightier than the sword!
(OOC: Research techs in the upper part of the tree, we need science to not lag behind. Philosophy for NC and then onwards to Education and universities.)

- Promote Drama and Poetry, we must embrace culture if we are to call ourselves a civilised society! A Writer's Guild should be established in our capital as part of a long-term goal to make Delphi Nova a cultural centre of the world. More buildings to host cultural events, such as Colosseums and Amphitheatres, should be constructed aswell.
(OOC: Go for culture victory, and research Drama and Poetry. And no, our path of domination up until now does not make this impossible. Just because you kill people off doesn't mean you can't influence the rest if you try... :) Colosseums for happiness because we have only +1.)

- Increase the fishing quota in Delphian waters! Buy boats for the Apollonians to fish crabs and allow the Kirrhans to bring in the bounty of the sea instead of working poor soils that give less food.
(OOC: Buy the Work Boat in Apollonia because it will take forever to get it done. And since the Crabs will solve the happiness problems Kirrha can work their two Fish resources for 5 food each instead of some of the less good food tiles they currently work.)

- All cities in the kingdom should have the same representation. No discrimination towards the former Siamese cities! Delphi was responsible for decimating their population and the least this kingdom can do is to allow them the voting privileges other Delphian cities already enjoy.

- In addition to the priestly and aristocrat voters, the city councils should have a vote.
(OOC: In addition to gold and faith tiles, make the city tile itself a voting neighbourhood regardless of yields.)

I forgot to mention that regardless of the yield type I'm treating the city centres themselves as labourers (hammers/production) because they're the urban centres (with lots of labourers/working class people).

I forgot to mention that regardless of the yield type I'm treating the city centres themselves as labourers (hammers/production) because they're the urban centres (with lots of labourers/working class people).

Siomaios does not see it as a bad thing to let these people have a voice in these matters but he also knows that being too radical might lose him any chance he has of being elected by the known-to-be traditionalist aristocracy and priesthood of Delphi. Therefore this last point on his list was removed before it gained too much attention.

Siomaios does not see it as a bad thing to let these people have a voice in these matters but he also knows that being too radical might lose him any chance he has of being elected by the known-to-be traditionalist aristocracy and priesthood of Delphi. Therefore this last point on his list was removed before it gained too much attention.

Understood.

Still, I thought the concept of the city centres as city councils was an interesting one. :)

Kirillos Ideas:

> Similar to Leonidas, build libraries where possible, and aim for the national college. The main focus will be to reach archeology asap. However, getting guilds + machinery first would be good for a reason, we could get the eastern india company for some extra gold, but above all, use machinery to get better archery and improve production further. Then, we could do the top part.
(( I'm not too much in a hurry for universities for a reason: we lack jungles to properly use them. In fact, since we haven't settled near any mountains, tech will nag us in the long run. Archeology is a good way to use our production to churn out some tourism with archaeologists.))

> Bet more on happiness and try to grow our cities further population-wise.

> We've started some traditions, and in order to better maintain our current army, we should adopt Oligarchy when possible.

> Focus our caravans in one city to build a bank in the future and capitalize on our gold deals.

> Apollonia needs to be built quickly. I believe buying an aqueduct for her would be good, and then add a granary. Khirra can construct work boats for Apollonia, which leaves it open to build what's necessary. But before building boats, I'd like Khirra to get a workshop, then we could move production to Apollonia via trade boat. This could power up Apollonia's development quite a bit.

I'm tabulating the results right now / the Council is voting right now.

Bazil needed some extra time which I'm allowing while I calculating the other players' results influencing the neighrbouhoods.

The caravan passed through the mining communities in the southern outskirts of Delphi Nova. Everyone involved felt relieved to feel the warmth of the sun against their skin. And clear air with views far into the distance, not obscured by snow and ice.

The whole journey had felt like a trip to the afterlife or another world of some kind. It had felt surreal, almost intangible or unreal. The fact that they returned to Delphian lands without Melda's body was the only concrete proof they had to convince themselves that the trip had in fact taken place at all. The Islandians were a strange, otherworldly people who spoke a weird language, believed in strange, inhuman gods, wore the skin of beasts and practised exotic rituals. Leaving the dead in mountain caves was only scratching the surface of the differences.

In the distance Melodas Melodopoulos, Basileus of the Delphians and the Siamese felt himself gladden at the familiar sight of the Notre Dame and the Royal Library. He was home.

------------------------------

Melodas entered the royal palace, reinvigorated to have returned to his kingdom and his home. The palace was not his normal residence, but he would become accustomed to it before long, he was sure.

Phrenios, son of Phrenos approached Melodas, and, after exchanging the requisite formalities and pleasantries he finally got to the main point: "It's done. Come see."

"Oh?" Melodas asked.

"Yes," Phrenios looked exhausted but exhilarated. "The votes are in. We have the First Synedrion."

------------------------------

Melodas stood before the assembled Councillors and Synedrian candidates. There were many candidates running, but they had all aligned themselves with the most powerful, charismatic or well-connected figures. Whichever of these candidates could demonstrate they had the support of the most Synedroi would rule.

"Kirillos Christides," Melodas declared. "I hereby commission you to serve as my Chief Minister for a period of ten years. As my Chief Minister you will form and lead my government. You may do so in any legal manner you so wish. Your actions will be judged in ten years hence by this Council. If you have ruled well, perhaps you will be returned as my Chief Minister for a second term. If however the Council judges you harshly, you will be peacefully removed from power until such time as you can convince this Council of your suitability to again head my government. To those who would aspire to be my Chief Minister, perhaps next time will be your time. I am placing great faith in all of you, my First Synedrion. I hereby vest in you the power required to run the kingdom. Chief Minister: I await your advice on how the kingdom should proceed."

((Although it's not actually my fault, I feel apologies are in order for Bazil and 1889.

Bazil because you're probably burnt out already from 20 consecutive turns, having led 40 of the last 60 turns. However you can run my government however you want, and if you need to delegate duties to other players then go for it.

1889 because it was luck that really wasn't on your side --- there were a number of occasions where ties occurred, and random.org decided the odds weren't ever in your favour. :confused: Maybe the new Chief Minister will call upon you to serve in his government. But I feel legitimately horrible about the harshness of this outcome. :yuck:

Gurra I don't feel bad for at all --- despite not winning you're in striking distance of the leadership next time, despite your radical pro-Siamese agenda. :lol:))

Delphian Synedrion election, 160

The Delphian Council held an election to choose members of the 1st Delphian Synedrion in 160. It was the first Delphian Synedrian election held in the Delphian Kingdom. Suffrage was limited to the upper class of only the ethnically Delphian cities, specifically the aristocracy and the priesthood: members of the Delphian Council.

As a general note, overwhelmingly traditionalist neighbourhoods within the ethnically Delphian cities were unhappy with the idea of admitting any Siamese to the Delphian Council or allowing them votes for the Synedrion. The idea obviously had the opposite reaction within the Siamese cities, and is a popular measure even among traditionalist Siamese neighbourhoods.

Results of the Delphian Synedrian election, 160

Franchise: All aristocratic and priestly neighbourhoods of the ethnically Delphian cities in the kingdom eligible to vote in the elections. Each neighbourhood returned one Synedros.

| Number | Change | % | Change Eligible neighbourhoods |11|+11|23.9|+23.9|
Eligible voters |20,183|+20,183|2|+2|

Delphian Synedrian election, 160 Summary of votes per candidate
| Allegiance | Neighbourhoods | % ██ | Kirillos Christides | 7 | 63.6 ██ |Leonidas Siomaios|4|36.4
██ |Aplistios|0|0
| Total | 11 |

Results by city

Delphian Synedrian election, 160; Delphi Nova

Neighbourhood | Class || Allegiance | Comments
Lithos|Priest| ██ |Leonidas|Research subjects, cultural dominance aim, unhappy with Siamese suffrage
Telos|Priest| ██ |Leonidas|Research subjects and cultural dominance aim
Feros|Priest| ██ |Kirillos|Oligarchy
Kenetrios|Aristocrat| ██ |Kirillos|Oligarchy, improved archery, research subjects, East India Company
Valua|Aristocrat| ██ |Kirillos|Oligarchy, improved archery, research subjects, East India Company
Kalkis|Aristocrat| ██ |Kirillos|Oligarchy, improved archery, research subjects, East India Company

Delphian Synedrian election, 160; Kirrha

Primos|Aristocrat| ██ |Leonidas|Cultural dominance, colosseums
Halos|Aristocrat| ██ |Kirillos|Oligarchy, improved archery, research subjects, East India Company

Delphian Synedrian election, 160; Dostana

Archa|Aristocrat| ██ |Kirillos|Oligarchy, improved archery, research subjects, East India Company
Loquia|Priest| ██ |Leonidas|Research subjects, cultural dominance aim, unhappy with Siamese suffrage

Delphian Synedrian election, 160; Apollonia

Agos|Aristocrat| ██ |Kirillos|Oligarchy, improved archery, research subjects, East India Company

My royal secretary Phrenios sent officials and agents across all neighbourhoods of the kingdom and returned with authentic reflections of the attitudes toward the candidates.

I can tell you now that three-quarters of the neighbourhoods have clearly defined preferences, one-quarter have two candidates who they would equally like and only three neighbourhoods found it difficult to decide between all three candidates.

Here is the system Phrenios has devised to determine how popular or unpopular each candidate is with each neighbourhood, ranging from the most popular to least popular.

Summary of attitude types

Attitude | Description
Rapturous|They want to deify you
Loving|They love you
Pleased|They are very pleased with you
Impressed|They are impressed with you
Interested|They are interested in what you have to say
Ambivalent|The voters in this neighbourhood have no strong opinion of you at all
Uninterested|They are not interested in what you have to say
Unimpressed|They are not impressed with you at all
Displeased|They are decidedly displeased with you
Hateful|They hate you
Murderous|They would murder you on sight

Attitudes per neighbourhood

Boldface indicates most favoured candidate.
*Indicates minority group has franchise.

Neighbourhood attitudes, 160; Delphi Nova

Neighbourhood | Class | Kirillos | Aplistios | Leonidas
Demia|Labourer| Interested |Interested|Interested
Lithos|Priest*|Ambivalent|Ambivalent| Interested
Telos|Priest*|Ambivalent|Ambivalent| Interested
Feros|Aristocrat| Impressed |Interested|Ambivalent
Kenetrios|Aristocrat| Impressed |Interested|Ambivalent
Dominia|Labourer|Interested|Interested| Interested
Valua|Aristocrat| Impressed |Interested|Interested
Keratos|Farmer| Interested |Ambivalent|Ambivalent
Polyos|Labourer| Interested |Interested|Interested
Kalkis|Aristocrat| Interested |Interested|Ambivalent
Manis|Farmer| Interested |Ambivalent|Interested
Junkta|Labourer|Ambivalent|Interested| Impressed

Neighbourhood attitudes, 160; Kirrha

Equios|Labourer|Interested|Ambivalent| Interested
Primos|Aristocrat|Interested|Ambivalent| Interested
Ergos|Farmer| Impressed |Ambivalent|Ambivalent
Galacta|Farmer| Interested |Ambivalent|Uninterested
Anthropa|Labourer|Interested|Ambivalent| Interested
Gesta|Labourer|Interested|Ambivalent| Interested
Halos|Aristocrat*| Impressed |Ambivalent|Ambivalent
Trakton|Farmer| Interested |Ambivalent|Ambivalent
Operos|Labourer|Interested|Ambivalent| Interested
Khiros|Labourer|Interested|Ambivalent| Impressed

Neighbourhood attitudes, 160; Dostana

Fixis|Labourer|Interested|Interested| Impressed
Bromia|Farmer| Interested |Interested|Ambivalent
Archa|Aristocrat| Interested |Ambivalent|Ambivalent
Ikhthyos|Labourer| Interested |Interested|Interested
Kipos|Farmer| Interested |Interested|Ambivalent
Loquia|Priest|Ambivalent|Ambivalent| Interested
Mera|Farmer| Interested |Interested|Uninterested

Neighbourhood attitudes, 160; Apollonia

Joinos|Labourer|Ambivalent|Ambivalent| Impressed
Agos|Aristocrat| Interested |Ambivalent|Ambivalent

Neighbourhood attitudes, 160; Si Satchanalai

Baan Baan Cha|Labourer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Kaw Too|Aristocrat|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Na Gaang|Farmer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Doi Phu Luit|Labourer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Baan Koo|Aristocrat|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful

Neighbourhood attitudes, 160; Muang Saluang

Baan Baan Ken|Labourer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Na Koo|Aristocrat|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Na Daam|Labourer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful

Neighbourhood attitudes, 160; Sukhothai

Baan Baan Mwui|Labourer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Kaw Ken|Labourer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Haat Krai|Aristocrat|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Non Buan|Labourer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Non Luit|Aristocrat|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Na Ma|Farmer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful
Baan Huai Gaang|Farmer|Murderous|Murderous| Hateful

Edit: Corrected Manis's attitude to Kirillos from Impressed to Interested.

Second Edit: Corrected Anthropa's attitude to Leonidas from Impressed to Interested, same with Gesta. Corrected Baan Baan Ken's attitude to Leonidas from Displeased to Hateful, same with Baan Na Daam and Baan Kaw Ken.

Leonidas Siomaios is overwhelmed by how many Synedroi allegiant to him were actually elected, and is happy about the results because it was more than he had ever expected. He sends his congratulations to Kirillos Christides and hope they can work together in the future considering their similar views on some aspects of Delphi's future.

OOC: So the people in Siam hate me but since they don't want to actually murder me I'm the overall favoured candidate by 100% of neighbourhoods? :lol:

OOC: So the people in Siam hate me but since they don't want to actually murder me I'm the overall favoured candidate by 100% of neighbourhoods? :lol:

Yes. :p

I wouldn't recommend anyone else even try visiting those neighbourhoods. :lol:

Edit: Although the former king could probably offer the new Chief Minister some protection in those cities. But still, best not to risk it. :p

Top Bottom