1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Tribal Elders of Delphi

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by mrkingkong, Mar 19, 2014.

1. MiguelBazil

MiguelBazil The "Always Late" One

OOC: Jesus, those many seats? :eek:

2. Melda

Melda Wannabe Psephologist

Don't take this the wrong way, but yeah: I'm surprised at the decisiveness of the result.

I really thought it would be more lumpy, and expected a hung Synedrion with a minority government would form. I didn't expect one of the candidates would be eliminated (in fact I designed the system to avoid that eventuality; apparently not very well) and that majority government would be achieved within the first election!

3. MiguelBazil

OOC: no problem, you know my very broad diplomatic style, and I want everyone's opinions as always. I think that 1889 needs to kill Aplistios, the people do not like him it seems :p But rest easay, I'm not a great player and I need help surely.

IC:
    I thank everyone for this opportunity, to those who voted for me and even those against me, as it has been something unique and the first time in history, that the population got so involved in how our nation is run.

I believe that running this country should be based on discussion of the real issues, and so, I want you all to help me and discuss this idea, this sort of plan, I have for our nation. First, I'd like to know what you all think about these points, that I believe should be agreeable to anyone, independent of what you think:

> Khirra to produce a workshop when possible, and producing a work boat or 2 to support Apollonia
    > Buying an aqueduct for Apollonia, and building a granary
    > Create colosseums in Delphi and a Library in Dostana, a colosseum can come after (a colosseum will take a while, and we could use the extra science from the city)

> research philosophy and guilds

4. Gurra09

Gurra09 Guru of Hekkia

The hunger strike in Delphi Nova went on for a week. The priests in Lithos had sympathy with the Queen Mother and her cause, so she was allowed to stay in the Shrine.

On the seventh day, the old woman had lost much of her power but she was still alive. She was about to take a sip of water when members of the Royal Guard entered the courtyard and began taking her fellow protesters away. That was the last thing she remembered.

Sueang woke up in a bed days later, and the first thing she saw was the eyes of her prince Loethai.
    - Yāy, you're awake. Don't talk, you need to rest.
    - Kār pratĥwng...
    - Royal Guard ended your protest. Don't worry, you are fine and in no way harmed, other than the not eating part. I was elected to be part of the new Synedrion and I will do what I can for Siam and for Delphi, but you need to take it easy. You need to rest. Travel back home when you can stand on your feet again, I heard your old friend King Bazil moved there after his abdication. I have got it from here, rāchinī.

Leonidas gave Sueang a kiss and walked out of the room. His grandmother could handle herself, he knew that, but it was on him to handle Delphi for them both.

Spoiler Thai language notes :
    Kār pratĥwng = protest
    I do not speak Thai but since Sueang is quite weak here it wouldn't be too weird for her to just say something like "protest" or "the protest" rather than a complete sentence.

Rāchinī means Queen, and yāy means grandmother.

5. Gurra09

Gurra09 Guru of Hekkia

I, Leonidas Siomaios, support Kirillos Christides in his endeavour to research Philosphy and construct libraries. It is wise for Delphi to focus on research and philosophical matters.

While your other plans do not align perfectly with my own ideas, I believe they are all good ideas aimed to improve the Delphian cities. I am however not sure about building the one Aqueduct in Apollonia since focusing on Delphian culture and tradition could help us build Aqueducts in more of our cities. ((Tradition finisher gives us free Aqueducts in four cities, but I'm not sure if that would mean the four cities founded by Delphi or the four oldest cities including Siamese ones. And perhaps that's a little too far away to wait for?))

And what are your plans for the Siamese cities? While Muang Saluang and Si Satchanalai most certainly would benefit from keeping their local government, I believe a Courthouse could be built in the old royal capital of Sukhothai, a city as populous as Dostana and a cultural centre of the Siamese lands.

6. 1889

1889 Mayor of H-Marker Lake

I too mostly agree with your plans but, of course have a few suggestions of my own.

A library is fine for Dostana, but after the lighthouse the city will grow quickly and I am concerned about happiness.

I'm fine with buying the aqueduct in Apollonia, although I'm with Gurra that free is better, but I'm not sure how far in the future it is for us to finish tradition.

Kirrha can build the workboat for Apollonia but can it be put ahead of the workshop, It will take like 8 turns to sail to its destination.

For research I'd much rather see Drama first so we can start the writer's guild. I think Kirrha is actually the best place for it since it's food potential is so much better than Delphi meaning it would be better for great people.

Please also check the worked tiles. You mentioned not being handy at that so sorry if I'm telling you stuff you already know. Most of the worked tiles are locked right now. They can be reset by clicking "reset tiles" under the citizen management tab.

7. Melda

Phrenios, the royal secretary presented to the First Synedrion.

"My lords, I have the information that you requested. It appears as though our people will not be able to accept significant societal change for another three to four decades at the current rate of cultural development. The founding of new cities or the annexing of cities will increase that timeframe, whereas the building of cultural institutions will decrease it. I understand there are some who plan to formally entrench oligarchy, and others who would seek to formally change the nature of the monarchy to one of primogeniture. If both of those are policies to be pursued I would imagine they will not be done for many a year, presumably long after we're dead. I say this not to discourage or encourage you to pursue any particular policies because that is not my role, but to explain to you the facts as they currently stand."

((i.e. there are two policies left in Tradition to get the free aqueducts, and the first of those policies can be adopted in 34 turns on the current culture front.

Also, I can unlock the citizen tiles if the Chief Minister requests it.))

8. MiguelBazil

Well, the free aqueduct is still a bit away, and we need a more immediate solution, and like Aplistios mentioned, our population is quickly losing happiness. We could commission some coliseums to allow for further growth. Until we can get other nations to trade with us, we'll have some issues. I think that aiming for coliseums in every city atm is a good strategy.

Does anyone know when we can reassign our tradeboat's route? (or a way to check) This should tell us how fast we need the workshop in Khirra.

On research, would the council rather have drama and philosphy first, in that order? Or do you see a use for guilds before? I'm leaning on drama > philosophy > guilds > machinery. My main reason for machinery is that we could use that production to speed up some of our bigger works.

Leonidas, I'd like to make the Siamese cities officially ours ((annexation)) but it may cause some issues. It will be surely considered once we have better conditions, even King Bazil, who was a full supporter of Siamese integration didn't do it, so there are issues we can't ignore. Our population is already unhappy, and such a move would make it even worst. While I want to, it's a big risk, and would mean we'd have to postpone all this cultural and scientifical bet we're doing, as we'd have to switch to full happiness focus. I believe it's agreeable to wait a bit longer before that.

9. Melda

On my first read-through I assumed you meant the players, but then I thought 'wait, maybe you mean the fictional Delphian Council' on a later read-through.

If you want the latter let me know; I can work out their preference.

If the former, disregard this message. :)

10. MiguelBazil

OOC: I'd like to get all of the opinions, and if the council can answer, then sure. But it was first meant for the players :)

11. Melda

More than 70% of the Delphian Council want Guilds followed by Drama.
    The remainder want Philosophy followed by Drama.
    Interestingly they both want Drama second, but they differ as to what they want first.

12. Tambien

Tambien Theseus, Duke of Athens

Any space open for a new player?

13. MiguelBazil

Always space for one more :)

14. Melda

Absolutely. :D

Welcome to the thread!

If you want to create a new character name (if you didn't want to use your username, that is), I've found this is a great article to rip off ideas from. ;) Especially now that surnames have suddenly become all the rage!

Could you let me know what colour you'd like to represent you? Colours already taken are ██ green, ██ yellow and ██ mustard.

15. Tambien

Tambien Theseus, Duke of Athens

Alexios Tambienos will work haha

Dark Red will do for me.

16. Melda

Welcome Alexios!

██ Dark red it is!

17. Melda

Was there a timeframe on how long we were collecting opinions for before we proceed?

18. MiguelBazil

There wasn't, but let's say... Friday? Or do you want it quicker?

19. Melda

You're the Chief Minister, and I act upon your advice, so it's up to you.

I was simply wondering if no-one replied within a certain timeframe if it meant they've abstained from the discussion. Just to keep things ticking over and not getting bogged down waiting for people to get back to us who might be busy at the moment.

20. Melda

Friday seems to be over with, and I believe Aplistios will be indisposed for the next few days.

Unless anyone else has further input I propose you advise me to take some initial actions so I can keep the kingdom going.

((Bear in mind I'm just going to push on until something happens that needs your attention, rather than doing it in 5-turn chunks --- so if nothing important is happening I'll just give you updates rather than seeking advice))