The Tribal Elders of Delphi

As part of our agreement, I propose the

The Provincial Voting Act

(1) The Integrated Provinces of Zurich and Quebec's Synedrion will have their voting permissions extended to include matters regarding city-state representation in the Synedrion, specifically,

(a) Zurich and Quebec's Synedroi have permission to vote (in addition to all other voting permissions) on any matters concerning the enfranchisement of citizens in Zurich and Quebec.

(b) Zurich and Quebec's Synedroi have permission to vote on restrictions and other affairs concerning the Provinces' elected Synedroi.​

I vote Yes on this act.

The Neo-Dualist Party votes Yes on the Provincial Voting Act.

OOC: I suppose we're all set to play some turns now, aren't we?

OOC: So, since loading up the save everytime I wanted to check a feature of the map (which wasn't detailed in the turn playthrough) took forever, I made a map (like I do in Pulias).

Spoiler :

Whoa. Lots of changes. I'll try and get my head around this later (as well as maybe play some turns!).

Hey, sorry for the lack of updates here lately. Busy at work and the new StarCraft II expansion came out. I'm hoping to get a proper update out tomorrow.

Alright, I'll probably get some updates on the war here tomorrow night or the one after, but the next election will be delayed by a few days until I can decide upon exactly how the neighbourhoods will react to the new New Apollonian constitutional arrangements. I'm just having trouble getting my head around how the different neighbourhoods will be reacting to it on the axes I've developed. I may require new thinking. Will let you know when I've worked it out. :)

Melodios Phrenopoulos, the royal secretary grievously wounded in the recent coup attempt never recovered. His wounds became infected and he succumbed after a grave illness. His family were devastated: his son Grigorios who had been acting in his stead in the Palace had to be temporarily relieved of his duties and Melodios's father Phrenios, long known as the Lone Survivor, the bravest and ablest of warriors even in his twilight years, the hero who had rescued both his son and the Chief Minister Lysimachos from captivity was left a broken man. He finally understood how the late and legendary Melda the Ice-Born had felt after he had lost his firstborn son all those years ago. Phrenios had been but a young lad at the time, himself recently orphaned, but even he at the time had had seen how the loss had crippled Melda so and now for the first time felt such a keen sense of loss himself; losing his son so cruelly cut as deep if not deeper than losing his father in battle had. Phrenios fell into a deep depression and largely lost the will to live: an unusually cold winter ultimately snatched his life away, and the kingdom had lost yet another legendary figure from the almost mythic age before the Synedrion. Melodios's funeral had been well attended, but the attendance at Phrenios's funeral rivalled even that of a Basileus's.

But life went on and great works were still completed. The loss of good men, even kings ultimately being shrugged off by the living as they continued onward. With the Sistine Chapel completed in the capital, work commenced on establishing a new caravan which would take three years to muster the required funds. The Treasury was opened up to authorise the rapid establishment of a new crossbowman division.

New trade opportunities continued to be pursued with the Polish Catholic Order.

The Holy Despotate of China and the Polish Catholic Order sent emissaries expressing their dissatisfaction with Delphi's continued war footing.

City connections were established between the formerly Dutch city of Utrecht and the burning city of Rotterdam with the Kingdom of Delphi.

Dutch Protestant missionaries were spotted in Chinese territory near Utrecht and Milan. They were either brave or foolish to risk capture by zealous Delphian troops.

Spoiler :

The Gardens of Kirrha were completed. Works commenced on a shrine to honour the gods, which was expected to take only two years to complete.

The Protestant Temple of Rotterdam was pulled apart and its building material sold. The city continued to burn.

The Colosseum of Alexandropolis was completed. The citizenry turned their attentions to a workshop, which was expected to be completed within the year to help boost the city's productive output.

And in the west, the city of New Apollonia finally completed works on a university. The seaside city commenced works on triremes for coastal defence.

The Poles denounced the Kingdom of Delphi for their crimes against international peace.

Trade with the Shoshone Federal Republic ended. No great powers were interested in establishing new trade with the kingdom, which had once again become an international pariah.

The New Model Army slowly but implacably continued its unstoppable northern march toward Amsterdam. When they would strike only the General knew.

With the workshop completed at Alexandropolis, the people of the city started work on the erection of a monument to the gods.

The University of Soukotai opened its doors for the first time. Works commenced on an aqueduct to feed the thirst of the growing city.

A Dutch trade route was plundered by Delphian forces near Amsterdam.

In other international news the Republic of Zanzibar, an autonomous region of the Shoshone Federal Republic was greatly impressed by Delphian scientific exploits and extended the hand of friendship to the kingdom at a time when no other nation would.

The new caravan venture departed from Delphi Nova, bound for the Province of Quebec. Works commenced in the capital on a Hellenic temple, which due to the people's faith and high productivity was expected to be completed within a year.

The Shrine of Kirrha was opened to the faithful and the city had for the first time grown to be the largest in the kingdom, eclipsing even the capital. The growing city commenced a recruitment drive to bolster the New Model Army's ranks of crossbowmen.

With the growth of the city, the neighbourhood of Anthropa were moved on to greener pastures, and a second and new artistic neighbourhood was established near to the artists' guild.

Enterprising Delphian soldiers captured Dutch Protestant missionaries in the County of Milan. The Milanese were not amused by this action in their territory.

The desperate Dutch tried to sue for peace. Their ambassadors were rebuffed.

The Poles seemed to have considered their recent diplomatic attitudes toward the Kingdom to have been perhaps a little rash, as they now sought to mend fences. Embassies were exchanged.

The Hellenic Temple in the capital opened. Recruitment started on putting together a new musketmen brigade.

The monument at Alexandropolis was successfully erected. The people's spiritual concerns taken care of, their scientific needs were then prioritised with works commencing on establishing a university in the city.

The razing of Rotterdam was complete. Only ashes, rubble and ruins remained where at one time stood a once-proud Dutch city.

The County of Milan has announced to the world that it is seeking investments for a grand project they are currently embarking upon.

The scientific discipline of Astronomy was formalised. The newly constructed trireme at New Apollonia was upgraded to a caravel. The crew readied themselves for their upcoming journey of discovery. The townsfolk, however, started construction on an aqueduct for the city.

Spoiler :

With the workshop of Dostana completed, the people have turned their attention to the creation of a Hellenic temple.

The kingdom's scholars put their minds towards economic theories. What this would result in was anyone's guess, if anything at all.

The captured Dutch missionaries were given trials and opportunities to repent their heathen faiths. In the heightened atmosphere of religious intolerance in the kingdom, there was minimal outrage when the unrepentant holy men were publicly executed for their crimes against the gods.

It was with this brutal punishment very recently meted out that the New Model Army commenced the Siege of Amsterdam. It began with a scouting force of knights who reported back just how undefended the Bishopric was. The army then pushed forward, eager to clinch their victory over those who worshipped only a single god.

Spoiler :

The Siege of Amsterdam continued. The New Model Army manoeuvred around the city, waiting for now until a full surround could be established before the hammer would be dropped.

Spoiler :

A Great Artist has made a name for himself in the City of Kirrha. He is open to suggestions as to how he should use his newfound fame.

Spoiler :

The County of Brussels was formally incorporated as an autonomous region of the Shoshone Federal Republic.

The intrepid Delphian explorers discovered a primitive foreign people: the Kievan Tribe.

Spoiler :

And with a crash of bolts and a flash of flames the Siege of Amsterdam commenced with ranged attacks on the nigh-defenceless city.

In a shocking development that would forever change the course of world history, the Shoshone Federal Republic and the Holy Despotate of China jointly declared war on the Kingdom of Delphi, whose New Model Army was out of position besieging the Dutch city of Amsterdam.

Delphian crossbowmen near Amsterdam fell to Chinese knights immediately after the commencement of hostilities.

Spoiler :

The ancient Siamese capital of Soukotai lay open for the taking by the Shoshone invasion army.

Spoiler :

The defenders of the recently secured city of Utrecht looked out to behold a massive Chinese army bearing down on them.

Spoiler :

It seemed that the Delphi had sought war, and war had indeed found them.

Oh crap.

Well, after careful analysis of the current save, this is the plan I propose:

We get Poland to declare war on China. They're willing to do it for pearls, some iron, and a few other things that aren't imperative that we have. They would also declare war on the Shoshone, but China is their neighbor. It should be noted that they have the largest army in the world and would be a good ally. We can take Amersterdam, and we should, as having it to our backs as an enemy city would be deadly and it can be a useful base if its on our side. We certainly have the military to take it with some still open for movement afterwards. The knights can be positioned to protect the fragile siege equipment. In addition, all of our newly trained units should move to the Soukotai area to defend against the Shoshone, and once any project in a city is completed, they should begin to train more troops. We might be able to beat back the invading armies with our technological superiority. I recommend reorganizing the neighborhoods in some of the cities to provide the most production.

After having evaluated the situation ourselves we the Chief Ministers agree with the plan proposed by Stathis. By our calculations, the siege of Amsterdam will be completed and the city be ours before the end of this year and there will be no risk of losing units to Dutch fire as there will be no more Dutch lands. All hail Delphi!

To make this official we present the following act to be passed by the Synedrion:

Emergency War Orders Act

(1) Sign a trade deal with the Polish Catholic Order where they agree to declare war on the Holy Despotate of China in exchange for one unit of incense, two units of iron and two units of horses aswell as Open Borders and a Yea vote on the World's Fair from us.

(2) The siege of Amsterdam will continue as previously ordered until the city is under Delphian control.

(3) Spend 460 gold to immediately train one unit of Crossbowmen in Soukotai.

(4) Upon completion of current construction projects in settled or annexed cities, Protostrategos Pompey is given authorisation to order the immediate training of up to two new military units of his choice in each city, depending on what units he deem to be necessary for the war effort.
(a) Upon a city's completed training of military units ordered by Protostrategos Pompey in accordance with this act, it will return to its previously ordered build queue.​

(5) To increase military production for the defence of our homeland, neighbourhoods will be relocated to accomplish this as follows.

(a) In Delphi Nova, relocate the neighbourhoods of Junkta and Keratos to work mines east of the city.

(b) In Kirrha,
(i) relocate the neighbourhood of Antrhopa to work the farm two tiles east of the city.

(ii) relocate the neighbourhood of Hygria to work the mine one tile northwest of the city.​

(c) In Dostana, relocate the neighbourhood of Agros to work the city's Workshop.

(d) In Alexandropolis, relocate the neighbourhood of Baan Chong Woom to work one of the mines north of the city.

(e) In Soukotai, relocate farming neighbourhoods northeast of the city to work farms southwest of the city.​

(6) Evacuate all Delphian Workers in the vicinity of Soukotai.

(a) The Worker standing west of Soukotai should build a farm one tile southwest of the Aleandropolis neighbourhood Baan Kaw Too.

(b) The Worker building a trading post southeast of Soukotai should instead cut down the forest north of Delphi Nova.

(c) The Worker building a farm southeast of Soukotai should instead cut down the forest southwest of Alexandropolis.​

(7) If any Worker is found in a vulnerable position they must be either evacuated or if possible protected by Delphian troops.

And as our armies are about to march into the Dutch capital we also present the following act now that we are on the verge of controlling the capitals of three historical lands:

Declaration of Empire Act

(1) The Kingdom of Delphi will henceforth be known as the Empire of Delphi.

(2) With the passing of this act, the Synedrion encourages His Majesty the Basileus to change his royal title to Emperor of Delphi.

Usage of the name Empire of Delphi rather than Delphian Empire is to distinguish this Second Delphian Empire from the First Delphian Empire, which existed during the reigns of Emperors Rasputin I and II, Dostayer, and Kyros II and encompassed a much smaller land area.

Last but not least we present this act regarding the Great Artist in Kirrha:

Great Works of Art Act

(1) Great Artist Leonardo da Vinci in Kirrha should create a great work of art to be placed in the Sistine Chapel.

(2) The next Delphian Great Artist should too create a great work of art to be placed in the Sistine Chapel.
(a) Delphi must remain in the Renaissance Era until this great work of art has been created.​

The Neo-Dualist Party votes Yes on all three acts.

(OOC: Section 2a of the Great Works of Art Act should be no problem to accomplish as the next Great Artist will be born in 16 turns if the Artists' Guild is kept fully worked.)

So as an aesthetic feature, are we considering Delphi to be in a sort of Italian renaissance phase?

We have the Sistine Chapel, Leonardo da Vinci, are currently in the Renaissance period, and are an Empire (sort of late Roman)?

We were going for more of an ancient Greece feel before, but I suggest embracing this new opportunity.

As Gurra indicated in the other thread he doesn't have the time spare to devote to this, I'm also finding that my time is becoming increasingly scarce (baby's not due until March, but I had no idea there's so much prep work to be done beforehand!).

Perhaps it would be best if the Basileus abdicates and the Stathites take over the run the war?

I was wondering if you'd like to take the reins and reign. :)

Doesn't have to be all the IAAR-ness, just playing through the game (it's probably almost done now, since we're at war with everyone and will either be conquered or be fairly close to achieving a domination victory if we so chose).

Yeah, go for it. :)

I'll keep checking in (if only the email notifications worked, nraaargh!), but I just don't have time to do the playing/uploading/spreadsheeting required anymore. Plus an IAAR with one host and one player doesn't really work as an IAAR. :lol:

It was the most tumultuous year in recent memory.

It all started when the Emperor disappeared.

No one quite knew why. The public never learned the details, just that their great Emperor had left them. Those close to him tell a different story

Markos had never been a fearful man. He had his share of pressure and anxiety, perhaps more so than any other man in the Empire, since his position, although carrying little serious power, had been called into action several times since his coronation. The 2nd Baronial Crisis had tested his powers and brought the two new parties more at odds than ever before. It was his wise counseling that averted a larger conflict, beyond the chamber room. But he was never quite satisfied. He struggled with the concept of democracy, of the idea that others could rule over him while he still had power, that the Council could survive for so long and get so close to victory and that people would take any measure necessary to drag themselves to control. He did not struggle with concept of communal rule, for that he was a great advocate; rather with human nature, and whether it was safe for these people to be in charge. The Emperor could never understand, so, one day he left. He told his close friends first. They all tell different stories of why he left, but their recollections all seem to portray these parting words:

"The nation has grown to large, to bloated. It is a beacon of corruption, of disease, and there is no way to revert it. It started with the foundation of the council, with the first to rule these lands, and will end with the collapse of all that we have made. I am leaving to find the truth, to find peace, to find a true home. And I will never be back."

He was never seen again.

After the Emperor left, leaving no heirs, the Empire was not immediately thrown into chaos. The monarch had held less and less power over time, and by then it was almost purely ceremonial. But it did have a symbolic shift. The Emperor was gone, but still remained the Empire. Still remained the structure, long after its original founders and foundation had gone, it carried on, propelled by thousands of years of inertia.

Then came the next blow. The twins died.

Both party leaders had assumed leadership roles in the war, commanding armies together with the prostrategos. An aggresive attack was planned, to charge sraight towards the Chinese capital, into the crossbows that defended it. But something went wrong.

Just as the two mounted to leave camp, an arrow landed at their feet. One looked up. Another arrow followed. A thousand came after that.

The camp fires went out, and no one relit them.

Back home the news took a while to arrive, but when it did, things were forever changed. Traditionally, another from the family or party would take the lead, but no one volunteered. No one knew what to do. Time passed. Every day the returned to the chamber room, and every day no new leader had emerged. Eventually, simply be a de facto decision, the Stathites took full control of the Synedrion.

No monarch. No opposition. No dissension. Stathis Agos had gained what he and his father had always, for so long, struggled to achieve: Power.

And so the nation moved on. The war progressed, the elections were held, but nothing changed. The country had collapsed upon a single man, holding the world up with one hand the enemy back with another. The world collaped on Stathis Agos.

Amsterdam was captured, the Dutch conquered, and the Delphians absorb the second nation in their history.
Spoiler :

The Chinese technology of Architecture was stolen.
Spoiler :

The Artist Leonardo Da Vinci creates the world famous Mona Lisa
Spoiler :

Workers reorganize accorded to the acts passed by the Delphian Synedroi, and national focus shifts more towards war.

The scouts exploring the nearby continent discover an intriguing and beautiful natural formation the affectionately dub "'ol on-timey"
Spoiler :

The renowned author Walt Whitman writes "Leaves of Grass"
Spoiler :

The city state of Ife is located and contact is made. Ife is located on the foreign continent.
Spoiler :

A trader gains fame and establishes a customs house near Sukotai.
Spoiler :

Inspired by these feats, a new genius emerges, this one a great military tactician.
Spoiler :

The Chinese city of Ghanzou falls to Polish forces.
Spoiler :

Economics is researched.
Spoiler :

The nation of Poland declares war on the Empire of Delphi! Truly a World War has begun!
Spoiler :

Both proposed acts pass (Cultural heritage sites and the World's Fair) and Delphi proposes Arts Funding.
Spoiler :

226-231
The war carries on, and Delphi and its people fall into routine.

Cities:
Spoiler :

Tech Tree:
Spoiler :

Top Bottom