The Very-Many-Questions-Not-Worth-Their-Own-Thread Thread XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how an app would know the contamination level in his house.

It can't. The use of run time and an assumed "average dustiness" is still more precise than the old "every three months." Some people might run their heat every night, while someone else might run it a half dozen times in three months.

As I said though, the best system has a filter differential pressure sensor.

Maybe we have different expectations… this is a very humid zone as well and the heat alone can be just as bad, if not worse. But then some people here seem to be as dependent on AC as you are up there, and I find myself wondering the same regarding their behaviour. Especially bus drivers who expect the interior of their buses to be 15 degrees cooler than the outside. Which, I think, might be not to your taste either.

The AC is deeply ingrained as part of North American Culture it seems. I'm not sure what historical accident lead to that, but I always assumed it was in a large part influenced by the climate.

The anti-AC position seems to be little more than privileged machismo.

"I don't need it nor do I like it, so why does anyone else? Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and deal with it."

AC is like the fourth greatest invention behind the internet, beer and cheese.

If you hit it with any substantial velocity I don't think it will make much difference.
But at a not-so-substantial velocity?
It's not the wet or the dry, it's the compact. Daytona became a car racing venue because they drove on the beach. You try to drive on the Sahara, you'll get noplace. Sand should be course grained and compacted to be hardest. Fine grained and wind blown to be softest.
So the degree of compactness is what ultimately matters, rather than the wetness or not of it. Interesting.
The anti-AC position seems to be little more than privileged machismo.

"I don't need it nor do I like it, so why does anyone else? Just pull yourself up by your bootstraps and deal with it."
My position against the bloody things is about saving the planet. Given how badly the summer heat affects me, I'd be far more comfortable with one. But I don't have one.
AC is like the fourth greatest invention behind the internet, beer and cheese.
You're not mentioning the hamburger, invented by the Leader of Best Korea.

My position against the bloody things is about saving the planet. Given how badly the summer heat affects me, I'd be far more comfortable with one. But I don't have one.

That's a mistake. This isn't a planet worth saving. Daisy chain some ACs together.

So the degree of compactness is what ultimately matters, rather than the wetness or not of it. Interesting.

A point to consider is that wetness can directly affect degree of compactness. Pretty much any compacting process is going to involve wetting, or at the very least the more efficient processes will.

I bought a ceiling fan and I am taking off a light fixture and attaching the ceiling fan there instead. I was reading the instructions and it says if you're doing that, you should check and make sure the already installed enclosure (or whatever that thing is) can hold 30kg (or some similar number)

How do I check that though? This house was built 25 years ago. I assume it should be able to hold this, but I also don't really trust the people who built this house. So what do I do?

edit: So far I'm thinking I should take off the existing light fixture and see what sort of thing the thing is, and hope there's a serial number on it or some other identification that I could then cross-reference against the internet. I somehow doubt it but I figure I might as well check

I bought a ceiling fan and I am taking off a light fixture and attaching the ceiling fan there instead. I was reading the instructions and it says if you're doing that, you should check and make sure the already installed enclosure (or whatever that thing is) can hold 30kg (or some similar number)

How do I check that though? This house was built 25 years ago. I assume it should be able to hold this, but I also don't really trust the people who built this house. So what do I do?

edit: So far I'm thinking I should take off the existing light fixture and see what sort of thing the thing is, and hope there's a serial number on it or some other identification that I could then cross-reference against the internet. I somehow doubt it but I figure I might as well check

Get a hold of any part of it you can get a hold of. If you can move it, it won't support a ceiling fan.

Light fixtures can be mounted to a box that is stuck to one ceiling joist with a couple nails on one side. A ceiling fan needs to be mounted to a box that is attached to a board running across between two joists, using nails that go through the back (which is the top side in terms of gravity) of the box. If you take the light fixture off you should be able to look into the box and find the heads of the nails or screws that it is attached by. If it isn't set up for a ceiling fan you have to go into the attic and span the joists with an appropriate support and then attach the box to it.

In a more recently built house they would use a ceiling fan box, which has struts that allow for attaching it across between two joists without having to put in a board, and that can be harder to identify from below, but your house is old enough that shouldn't be a problem.

That's a mistake. This isn't a planet worth saving. Daisy chain some ACs together.
Look, after I've become a millionaire I can make a will ordering my successors to use my estate to save the world minus you. Would that keep you happy?
And the grain of it. Sahara sand is like powder. Beach sand is very irregular in shape, texture, size, and composition. http://fourwinds10.com/siterun_data/spiritual/pictures/news.php?q=1368813087 Course and irregular means that it doesn't slide past each other easily.
You always have to include gorgeous photography, don't you?
Thanks for the data. :)

Light fixtures can be mounted to a box that is stuck to one ceiling joist with a couple nails on one side. A ceiling fan needs to be mounted to a box that is attached to a board running across between two joists, using nails that go through the back (which is the top side in terms of gravity) of the box. If you take the light fixture off you should be able to look into the box and find the heads of the nails or screws that it is attached by. If it isn't set up for a ceiling fan you have to go into the attic and span the joists with an appropriate support and then attach the box to it.

In a more recently built house they would use a ceiling fan box, which has struts that allow for attaching it across between two joists without having to put in a board, and that can be harder to identify from below, but your house is old enough that shouldn't be a problem.

It is a box indeed. There are several methods of attaching the ceiling fan, but the default one seems to be "the box one". From what you're saying it sounds like these boxes follow certain standards. Your description should allow me to check if it's in fact installed in that fashion.. if it is I'll assume that it'll hold

Looking through the instructions again, it says that the end of the blades should be 76cm from the wall. It's more like 30cm here.. I assume they recommend that because it's supposed to be for a room, and it's supposed to move air, so it's probably optimized for a certain sized room? Is there any reason I should be worried mounting it if it's so close to the wall? The reason it's closer is because it's a hallway, right beside the stairs leading down. I want to put the fan there to generate airflow throughout the house and help cool the upper floors.

I will do more exact measurements and research later, but for now I just started wondering if this will just blow cold air down and increase the temperature in the house? Physics, how do they work, right? I bought this fan thinking if all else fails I can just install it in my office. It seems to be better suited for this purpose, but I also feel like the hallway does need airflow

It is a box indeed. There are several methods of attaching the ceiling fan, but the default one seems to be "the box one". From what you're saying it sounds like these boxes follow certain standards. Your description should allow me to check if it's in fact installed in that fashion.. if it is I'll assume that it'll hold

Looking through the instructions again, it says that the end of the blades should be 76cm from the wall. It's more like 30cm here.. I assume they recommend that because it's supposed to be for a room, and it's supposed to move air, so it's probably optimized for a certain sized room? Is there any reason I should be worried mounting it if it's so close to the wall? The reason it's closer is because it's a hallway, right beside the stairs leading down. I want to put the fan there to generate airflow throughout the house and help cool the upper floors.

I will do more exact measurements and research later, but for now I just started wondering if this will just blow cold air down and increase the temperature in the house? Physics, how do they work, right? I bought this fan thinking if all else fails I can just install it in my office. It seems to be better suited for this purpose, but I also feel like the hallway does need airflow

Distance from the wall is mostly irrelevant it may be a bit less efficient, but not end of the world.

Your fan should be reversible. It should be blowing DOWN in the winter, pushing hot air directly down. In the summer you want it blowing UP so that the air gets stirred up but it isn't just blasting heat down on you. There is generally a switch on the side to reverse the direction. Do not flip the switch while the fan is on. Consider that you will want to flip the switch a couple times a year and look at how that relates to the nearby stairs...in other words, do not set yourself up to go bouncing down the stairs over this. That should be about it.

EDIT: The part about the direction is backwards. My bad.

Last edited:
Distance from the wall is mostly irrelevant it may be a bit less efficient, but not end of the world.

Your fan should be reversible. It should be blowing DOWN in the winter, pushing hot air directly down. In the summer you want it blowing UP so that the air gets stirred up but it isn't just blasting heat down on you. There is generally a switch on the side to reverse the direction. Do not flip the switch while the fan is on. Consider that you will want to flip the switch a couple times a year and look at how that relates to the nearby stairs...in other words, do not set yourself up to go bouncing down the stairs over this. That should be about it.

All this advice has been invaluable, thank you. Now I just need to figure out which switch to flip to turn off the power in the right part of the house tomorrow

If you're in doubt switch off the power everywhere. Don't get jolted just because you wanted to leave the computer downloading yet another upgrade to a Steam game or something to save time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom