What do you want from a WoT MOD?

• Staying True to the Book

Votes: 61 37.9%
  • Game Play

Votes: 80 49.7%
  • JUST PUT IT OUT QUICKLY!!!

Votes: 20 12.4%

• Total voters
Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello! Hello!
:bump:
If this keeps up I'm going to start to think you guys are avoiding me. :groucho:

Hi. I've posted a few times in this thread and have followed this mod since the beginning. Unfortuanetly I do not have the skills or time to help you out with creating this mod but I can make a few suggestions. My first one is as follows:

You guys must appoint a new mod leader!! - If you want the mod to survive, that is. It seems that everyone is not doing too much because they have nothingto aim towards due to there not being anyone who can boss people and issue orders.

I also think that if you set some sort of deadlines then work might get finished, (mini deadlines, e.g finish this unit in 1 month or whatever)

Maybe people should also just post their progress on the stuff they are working on once a week or something so that other people can see how they are getting on and also to keep the thread near the top of the forums.

Most importantly though, appoint a new mod leader!!!!!!!!!!!

As of this moment, I don't think anyone is working on the mod. Both Cam and myself have real life issues that are more pressing then the creation of this mod, and we just don't have the time to dedicate to it like we did in the past. Anyone that is willing can take over, but it seems most of the people who are intersted in seeing the mod created don't have the time to learn how to create the mod. A few times I've sent the mod file we have so far to people, and never heard from them again. It's actually not difficult to learn, the hard part is making units and Cam has most of those made. At this point it just needs someone to plug it together with the map, and the creations of wonders, leaderheads, and the hardest part of all, what will need expert care: the tech tree. I believe if someone went through the thread and took notes they would get the general idea where we wanted to go with this.

As an aside to all this, I think Civ4 has also made progress slow down. It seems somewhat futile and dishearting to create the mod, and do so much "tweaking" to get it where it needs to be, only to find out that Civ4 will make it so much easier. Remember, Civ4 has hardly any true "hard code" so you can change things you couldn't even dream up with Civ3.

If someone wants to be the leader of the mod, go ahead and start doing what is needed. I won't be hurt or upset in anyway, and will lend help however I can. But I'd prefer it was someone who wanted to get the job done instead of just being "leader". Although, you should keep in mind that when Civ4 is released in the next few months that most of the hardcore modders will probably move on to a more forgiving, and easier to modify incarnation of the game.

So, how about we do this... let's get another roll call of whever is active in this thread, and willing to work on it, and we'll go from there. I'll help by giving some direction on what needs to be done:

1) FORGET about any more units. Cam has given us a complete unit library IMHO, and no more is needed.

2) City improvments and Wonders/Small Wonders, are the order of the day. At this point I'm willing to let city improvments remain as the original Civ3 improvment, but names will need to be modified. Also keep in mind when creating these improvments that three types of each will be needed.
A) "Randland/Wetland", which is basically unchanged civ3 improvments since this culture so closely mirrors the western civ that this game was molded after.
B)The "Aiel" should have limited improvements, but to make up for this these improvments will be more powerful then the other two groups.
C) Seanchan. This will be the hardest. Best advice I can give is model it closely to Asiatic cultures. Seanchan will be a playable civ and their main goal in the game is to reach randland and be able to take it over. They will have no allies, but the largest empire in the game so they should be able to be take care of themselves.
A good mod to use as an example of how to make improvements what are the close to each other you may want to check out RaR.

3) Leaderheads. Cut and dry. We can probably borrow most of the leaderheads we need, and the few which we can't borrow should be fairly easy to have made for us in the right forum.... unless someone already knows how to do this and is willing to do it for each civ.

4) Tech Tree: Again, this will be the hardest, especially since we will have three, maybe four branches depending on if you want to make Shadowspawn more then just a huge AI killing machine. This is what I was working on and I was never able fine tune it enough... Very few people are good at this, and it can be the linchpin that's needed to keep the mod together.

So, get to it, and hope someone steps up to the plate.;)

Alerum

I have the ability, but like you guys, not enough time to do what is still needed. A shame after all the work already put into it, but that's life. Hope you guys are doing ok with your RL's. :wavey:

I'd love to see a WoT Scenario/Mod for CivIII! Even though I have Civ IV, I would definetly keep playing Civ III for Wotness. =)

So much work was put into this, that it is rather sad to see the thread dying now. And I can see the points made regarding modders switching over to CiV IV... in the end, I really just want to see a WoT Mod, whether Civ III or IV, its a great idea.

I'm a newbie to these forums, and I have no experiance in coding/moding etc... but I know WoT, I can learn, and I'd be willing to offered what little help I can give to this project (or a Civ IV project)....starting in December (this month is a killer with two GRE tests).

Could anyone who is still interested in this please post something? If anyone has any of the files or something, please post them. I am trying to start this again, or at least try, so please do something to help.

I'm always interested in this. :)
The unit lines are done (but probably could be updated with more recent units). There is also a global map, as well as the nations' flags converted into leaderheads (but there are also probably enough leaderheads available now that they wouldn't be needed). I believe there were also lists for the wonders. It's been a while since I've paged through this thread, so I'm trying to recall as much as I can. (I've also been reading through Song of Ice and Fire for the past couple months, so my WoT memory could probably use a refresher :) ).

I looked at the wonder lists. They seem OK. I also tried to acess the leaderheads, but only a preview, or something like that, worked. The link for the rest was broken. I've been trying to get it to work with the current material, just a few things, but I'm not so good with modifying stuff. The unit list only needs a few things, mainly ships and shadowspawn. The seanchan also need units.
However, I think that it might be better just to have the Westlands, rather than including everything on the map. But considering that you probably worked really hard on the map, and it won't need more work if we use it, we should probably use it. I looked through it, and one thing that I noticed is that Tar Valon is not surrounded by rivers, it only has one river going by. Is that a mistake, or did it not work if it wasn't like that? Also, Shayol Ghoul (definetely a misspelling, but I'm too lazy to go look it up) shouldn't be so close to the mountains. And there should be a second set of mountains that Shoyol Ghoul should be behind. Either that, or I missread the book.

There's a map with some city locations. It's a scenario.

I feel my lot is cast in with this project(Asmodean quotes FTW!) I'm no good with graphics but I can produce a good mod.

I'll read the thread later but one question. Should it be a general "Set in Randland" scenario, or one to follow the books as closely as possible

Well, so far, the people were mainly discussing a map with the entire world of the Wheel of Time, and maybe starting in the Aiel Wars, or some other landmark event, and having the actual book characters as leaders, or maybe even wonders, if that is possible. Actually, the wonder idea was one that I just thought up, but it would be very interesting. Anyway, the tech tree should allow new elements from the books get put in to the world when you research the tech. But we mainly think that it should have something following the books, (such as the tech tree, as I said before) but not have the game follow the exact story line. That would make it too rigid for it to make a good game.

Hears what I picture. The game begins around the time of book 7, Rand has Carhein. Tear the Aiel and has just set up the Black Tower. Egwene is preparing to march on Tar Valon, Perrin is lounging around in Two Rivers, while Mat is.... somewhere. The main difference would be that the Seanchan invasion from book two will be moved to this period.

Personally, I think that it would be very interesting to have it set in the Artur Hawkwing era. However, at the very least, let it be before the books start, and spill over into the book's era. That way, you can try to function without Rand and his friends interfering. But, you could have them be civilizations by themselves. That would be cool. Maybe have "the Band of the Red Hand" as a civilization with an army in Altara somewhere. That's where they were last, right? Anyway, before we start going into that, we should at least try to get the actual parts of the mod in place. As in the units and tech tree (although some of that is based on the era) and leaderheads and all of that.

Artur Hawking is out simply because we don't know what his world was like. I mainly suggested a start around book seven because it's hard to simulate what happened in the first books.

Well, for Hawkwing, you have lots of Mat's memories, and some other references. But anyway, We don't really have to simulate it. In fact, I'm not even sure how we could. And even if we could, it wouldn't help much, as it would be too rigid. But like I said, we should try to get the edited rules in place first, and the graphics, and such stuff.

I have an idea on how to use the ways. If it doesn't work in any way, or if you object, don't be afraid to tell me.
Basically, you take a terrain type that isn't being used, say tundra, and make it have a huge movement cost. Maybe 100 movement cost or more. Then, you put a railroad on it, and make the entrances to the ways a normal type of land with a railroad on it too. The idea is that you can't use a railroad unless you are moving from one to another. That way, you can't get onto the ways without going to one of the entrances. Maybe add a "stedding" or a "Waygate" resource at the site. Not sure if this will work, but could someone try it and tell me how it works? I am having some problems getting my civ 3 conquests to agree that the disc is in the drive. But anyway, could someone try it? Thanks.
We could add some other rules, such as Machin Shin, Islands, or something else. I'm not sure what would happen if the enemy pillaged the railroads though. I guess we'll just have to try and find out.

Top Bottom