What do you want from a WoT MOD?

• Staying True to the Book

Votes: 61 37.9%
  • Game Play

Votes: 80 49.7%
  • JUST PUT IT OUT QUICKLY!!!

Votes: 20 12.4%

• Total voters
Yes, but wouldn't it be simpler to make the ways airports? Or more accurately surround the stedding with waygates(airfields). Waygates are outside the stedding and can hold a lot more then one person. it also means we don't have to scar the country side

True, but I think that airports should be used for travelling. ("Traveling Grounds") I don't think that it is possible to make two different types of Airports, is it? One allows Rebasing (travelling) and the other allows "Paratrooping" (Ways, takes time, unlike rebasing. the idea being that you can paratroop onto another airport.) But you could switch which is which if you wanted.

Like I said, the problem is that Travellers cannot go as far as they want with paradropping. Also, Ways shouldn't be able to rebase immediately. Maybe if you could put a range limit on rebasing?

Also, regarding the waygates outside the steddings, they were just outside. Not far enough to make a difference.

The one advantage with using "Airports" as waygates/travelling grounds is that you could build them in cities. Make it an improvement that is researched by a certain tech.
A problem is that if the Travellers could make travelling grounds, that would mean they could make the ways too. I know that channelers made the ways originally, but that hasn't been rediscovered yet.

You know, the main problem with the whole idea of changing existing parts of the game is just that, they are existing parts. I don't think anybody knows how to make it so that the game itself can be differently coded, right?

You could give the channelers the rebase ability, under the air uit commands flag. That will only move them to cities though. Also the last thing we want is for others to start building waygates. those are for ogier. period.

Well, that would also mean that they could travel from Waygates......
I think that building waygates should be a very late tech. I mean, they will eventually discover how to do it. Eventually being the key word. As a side advantage, they would be able to travel from the waygates that they make. Say that they make a travelling ground automatically as soon as they make a waygate.

By the way, the male channelers made the ways before they went completely mad, as a repayment for the ogier offering sanctuary in the steddings. The channelers wouldn't go mad in the steddings.

Edit: But I guess it makes sense to use the rebase command as ways. The paradrop ability should be channelers only, and rebase for everyone. That way, when they get to the ways, they can go only to a certain place; a waygate. Problem is, we can't put in Machin Shin, or the taint in the ways. with the railroad idea, we could.

There had been a couple changes we had made to the map as we were modding. Unfortunately, that was a while back and those files are long gone. You might want to consider making it a Mod without a map first, and then people could use the map (and other maps of course) to make scenarios (allowing them to chart out their favorite book in the series... or something). Just a thought.

I'd also suggest considering making a new thread. This one is pretty much huge and bloated by now.

Yah, compile what art is available, and explain the civs, the main features `n stuff like that, so the uninformed can get an idea of whats this all about (in Civ modding and gaming terms, don`t just put up a Wiki link to WoT..).

It seems to have lots of fans, but these books weren`t published in Croatia, so they aren`t available in libraries, and I already spend a quarter of my salary on Warhammer and Warhammer 40000 novels :shake: Also, I bought the Children of Hurin, the new Tolkien novel, and that ofcourse compels me to buy the original LOTR books next month and read them again (its been 10 years or so)... crap.. stoopid books, making me read them and spend money.. should`ve played football.. *grumble*.

His son or grandson or something wrote it, IIRC, based off of the Great Tolkiens notes.

First of all; What are you talking about? "The Children of Hurin?" (Hmm, Hurin. Sounds familiar. Not sure why.)
Secondly; about the new thread. I started a thread at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=221710. If anyone wants to make some ideas about a better introduction to the thread, just tell me. I just linked to the beginning of this thread for anyone who wants to know what it is about. Not exactly an auspicious introduction.:)

I'd add a few things to the first post, to grab people's attention.

Outline what's been accomplished so far. Use spoiler tabs to list the unit lines, wonder lines, techs, etc., and even what still needs to be done. Then update the first post now and again as progress is made, that way new people that read the first post can get caught up quickly.

Also, maybe give in an introduction to the WoT, and what you want the mod to look like.

Do you think it would make sense just to quote off the first post, then change it a tiny bit because of any changes since it was posted? I'm not very good at writing things like that. Not put it in quotes, just rephrase it.

Stormrage said:
The Children of Hurin, the new Lord of the Rings Novel! Old Tolkien`s son edited his old work and published it, its really good, altho a little short.
Oh. Never heard of it, though it probably is good.
By the way, I don't think it is related, but Hurin is the name of the sniffer (person who can "smell" violence) in The Great Hunt, the second book of the Wheel of Time.

I changed my first post of the new thread. If anyone can think of something that I forgot to include, please tell me. Same if I could put something in the other spoiler tabs, that I missed when going through the thread. Thanks. By the way, please post anything else there, instead of here. That would make it easier for everyone. The new thread is at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=5431541

Top Bottom