The World Becomes Ours: Pre-Thread

New claims map with some player-made npcs.
Spoiler :

@Zappericus - Your faction is almost certainly going to implode within a turn being that big. Not a bad thing, if that's what you're wanting to do (civil wars are fun!), but just a heads up. Also still need a capital city location.

@Erez - I may have gotten your borders a bit wrong. The pink is your main kingdom, with the slightly darker pink being the malat kingdom (starting as part of your faction, but are big and unstable enough to warrant the colour change). The crimson Occulta have, as you said, already revolted. If I got anything wrong, like one of the polities being in or not in your starting kingdom, yell at me and I'll fix it.

You got it mostly right. Everything I colored (other than gray) is de jure part of the kingdom, with the Occulta already in open rebellion and the Malat as a powerful and very untrustworthy vassal, that is still not in open revolt. You just colored Malat bigger than it actually is (there are smaller dukes that you colored as Malat, maybe you meant them as Surr?)

Would you like me to go further in designing my neighbors? The kingdoms and tribes etc that are outside my de jure kingdom?

Also considering Karnei and Surr were under the empire for over 300 years I will probably change things further with the cultures and get more Qeng Xo into the land and culture, other than the city already there.

Moving my claim to southern edge of northwestern continent after being informed it is tundra.

New claims map with some player-made npcs.
Spoiler :

@Zappericus - Your faction is almost certainly going to implode within a turn being that big. Not a bad thing, if that's what you're wanting to do (civil wars are fun!), but just a heads up. Also still need a capital city location.

I was hoping to make Polavostronya geologically equal to 17th-century Russia, with it being immensely large, but widely spread, and nigh impossible to properly manage in terms of the national population dotting specks across the lands. Of course, I do not mind internal strife, and civil wars are always !fun! :,)

* Edit: Divided Polavostronya into a series of principalities ruled by a council of Boyars cuz first turn handicap seems a tad counterproductive

amaNganathuze / Cived
Colour:

Government/Ruler: There is no centralized one. Each Isiduko has its own government, but they come together to nominally elect a high king when they deem it necessary. And currently, it simply isn't necessary.
Religion: to the amaNganathuze, there are several chief deities. The head deity is yaKwaneze, the Sky Goddess, who found the Earth and then dragged it to her, creating the mountain range the amaNganathuze call the "kiGagkalagi". The next most important is thus the Mountain God, zwaKalagi, who is considered the "maintainer of mountains" - each mountain has its own specific deity, and zwaKalagi simply does his thing, occasionally sweeping up the remnants. The Third Chief Deity, known as zwaHukazinga, is the Forefather of the amaNganathuze. He is a warrior god, strong in his eternal fight with the world devourer, zwaNukhayi. However, it is not from the Forefatehr that the amaNganathuze draw their name. Rather, they draw it from yaNgana and zwaThuze, the twin trickster deities of the amaNganathuze - it is claimed that yaNgana found this world too exciting, and zwaThuze felt like it was too boring, so they attempted to trick each other - causing a massive war that ended only when zwaHukazinga bashed the skulls of the two avatars together, and from the grey matter of their brains came the amaNganathuze.

The religion, which has the official name of "ziNweta" (meaning World Language), is animistic and shamanistic, with special medicine men responsible for the spiritual wellbeing of every tribe.
Values: Freedom and Bravery are often associated with the tribes, but so is cunning, surprisingly enough.
Sample Names: Azukhi, Zonethe, Yamafase for males, Ngai-Karou, Sanezeme, Forofe for women
History: Oral tradition maintains that there are twelve clans of amaNganathuze. Currently, only five are still alive. Seven of the original clans were either assimilated into the Old Empire, or wiped out for their insolence. Whatever the case, the amaNganathuze were a sore point from the Empire. The last to be conquered by the empire on their continent, the amaNganathuze would even during the Imperial Period be in a constant state of revolt and active denial that they had ever lost. This is one of the aspects of amaNganthuze life, thanks to their philosophy of "zwaKumenezi", which states that defeat is only temporary, and that war lasts forever.

The amaNganathuze do not have a writing system, perhaps due to their complex arrangement of letters to form words. However, this has created a society where mnemonics are praised as a useful skill, and messengers running between clans often use a shorthand of the amaNganathuze language, called "ziAwyagga". As an example, the long word "amaNganathuze" becomes "Ngathu", and the word "zwaKumenezi" becomes "Zwaku". This use of shorthand makes inter-tribal diplomacy a possibility.

The five remaining clans or "Isiduko" are listed below:
  1. isiKabuye, known for their skills in weaving.
  2. isiYozambe, known for their agriculture rather than the pastoral nomadism of the others.
  3. isiMrigwethi, known for their expert pottery and metalworking.
  4. isiTswebehe, known for woodworking
  5. isiMlweti, the clan known most for trading with the outside world
Claims and Capital City: see above. It's more of a rough area. due to lack of a centralized government, these nomads have no capital. the isiMlweti "home base" of Miweti-Mgonduza is often considered a capital for trade purposes. (placed roughly central in a valley)

Neighbours: Done by Tolni Tolnevich Tolneyevski

Since Zapper was actually not lazy I'll graciously move my signup.

Zayakutra/SK

Government/Ruler: A high queen, whose power varies with time but is presently the single authority in Zayakutra thanks to the crisis situation. Generally speaking, Zaya high queens (and they are usually queens; kings are extraordinary) are elected upon the death of their predecessor. Who exactly elects the queen has varied throughout history, but presently it is the rulers of the major cities who do so. The current Queen is Daria Zia II, who has ruled for five years, but prior to this cataclysm her role was almost entirely ceremonial.

Religion: The Zaya religion, named Xazun in Royal Zaya, literally translates to "night court," for night is when Earth passes out of the realm of Daten the Life-Bringer - himself or herself (it varies on whom one asks) the deity of a sizable cult - and into that realm presided over by Jhana the Moon goddess, and her children the ishakas, the wanderers, the planets. To the Zaya, and each and every last star in the sky is an kartik, a deity. The High Observatory in Radanshad has the full recognized list, which as of its last revision at the coronation of the present Queen, numbered precisely nine hundred and seventy-six, but certainly there are thousands more. The prominent ones, such as Hardan the Dog and Khamsa the Dolphin, are subjects of mystery cults in their own right. Though the High Observatory attempts to keep everything organised or at least catalogued, they do not have the means to properly do so.

Values: matrilineality, tradition, knowledge, land power

Sample Names:
-Male: Xsaye, Vardashe, Basche, Vane, Zayne, Halare, Penele
-Female: Jhana, Daria, Zia, Kara, Naga, Guhara, Asha

Generally, male names end with e (pronounced like "ey") and female names end with a. Zaya naming custom dictates that all people have two names, such as "Xsaye Vane" or "Daria Zia," the first being a given name with few social norms about, and the second the name of a close family member or godparent.

History: The history of the Zaya, or in the tongue of the Qeng Xo, the Xia Kia, is an ancient and storied one. There are those who say that the first men were born in Zayakutra, the Zaya country, and that the first cities and the first nations were forged here. Historians tell us this is not true, but what is certainly the case is that Zaya history precedes the rise of Qeng Xo by at least two thousand years. All the Zaya grow up surrounded by buildings and walls and cities older than time itself.

The first High Queen was supposedly elected precisely seventeen-hundred and ninety-two years before the present, and the queen lists can trace a single, unbroken succession since then. In those early days, it was a collection of city-states who banded together against outside invaders, but it was a short time before the high queenship ascended in power to a hegemonic force. From then on, it was an alternating sequence of great hegemonic periods, periods of weak central authority, periods of rebellion, and periods of foreign rule, all of it well-recorded in the royal libraries.

The last period of foreign rule was the recently ended rule of the Qeng Xo. During this period, the High Queenship was reduced to a purely ceremonial role.

This, of course, ended when word that Qeng Xo was no more reached Radanshad; the High Queen quickly seized power and declared that Zayakutra was independent once again.

Claims and Capital City: The rivers in the east of the northwestern continent, north of Mosher. The capital city is the city of Radanshad, Ra Shi to the Qeng Xo, an ancient and sprawling metropolis and port which has been destroyed and rebuilt many times.

Neighbours:

Edited claims to actually include jungles.

Brief Comment on the Economy of the Princedoms:

The people of the Tha'im are major trading partners of majority of the nations that comprise the Qeng Xo Empire. Their ships bring massive quantities of spice and other luxury goods to all corners of the Empire, while their demand for luxuriant fur and silk draws in trade ships from other corners of the Empire.

The policy of obfuscation is no doubt related to the fact that the Tha'im have always jealously guarded the secrets of the growing and manufacturing process for their luxury goods and spices.

Possible trade routes for the current map (without possible NPC's and a little more developed for my kingdom). Includes likely locations for Pirates and Raiders. Climate was taken into consideration.

I'm just bored so I do this, this is most likely meaningless for the game :p

The pirates next to the big green country should be around the trade route along the jungles...

Go down for newer one

NPC Ideas.png

I am drafting possible suggestions for cities and influence of the NPCs to be near Mungu.

Dark cyan marks are the capital cities or (in some cases) the only settlement AKA the green and brown.

Yellow may be the raiders that caused the founding of Mungu, with the raiders now settling and becoming a feudal society.

Green may be ruled by a Watu kuhesabu AKA count.

Red may be another city state, though it may be a principality ruled by a former governor.

Brown may be a cost town ruled as a republic.

Magenta may be a merchant republic in itself.

This should provide some interaction for my republic.

Will later do names and such as I add this to my application with considerations set forth.

Notes on the People of Tha'mad.

The ‘merchants’ of the Tha’mad are not independent agents. The lack of woods easily suitable for construction of naval vessels in Tha’mad ecology, combined with the lack of easily accessible land-based routes into the Princedoms, meant that the College and the Shadow College could regulate who were given the privilege of leaving and entering their lands, and when. As such, most ships, even merchant vessels, flying the Tha’mad flag can be assumed to be working and trained agents of the Princedoms.

It is therefore of little surprise that the most vessels tasked with bring goods into and out of the Princedoms are, in fact, foreign merchants or hired helps. Ships from foreign lands constantly dock alongside the Bazaar of Tha'im, placed along the banks of the River of Blood, bringing cargo holds full of metals, silk, timber, grain and fur, and exchanging them for gemstones, exotic spices, cotton, and tropical fruits.

The Princedoms are the only source of Tha’im Blood Gems in the Qeng Xo Empire. The Blood gems were no doubt named after the River of Blood, a freshwater river whose terminus is the city of Tha'im. The River of Blood is well known for its dark red coloration. Foreign visitors are forbidden from sailing up the River of Blood, an edict by the College which is zealously enforced by tall and armored guards of the College. Location of the mines for these gems is a secret, and the smirking merchants of the princedoms have historically refused to give a straight answer regarding this matter.

The lack of steel and strong timber has historically significantly hindered the Tha'maddians attempts at militarization. The Colleges thus relies upon lightly armored levies drawn from their lands, supplemented by elite core of heavily armored shock troopers and foreign mercenaries. Their most common foot soldiers are the spearmen, little more than a motley band of peasants disciplined enough to hold a line, but not much else. The elite core consists of the heavily armored Gha'narim, well-disciplined soldiers who arm themselves with foreign-made armor and weapons, and the Tanar, extraordinarily brave (or stupid) shock troopers carrying extraordinarily large weapons.

The Tha'maddians' traditional garb is a cotton robe that covers most of the body (in an effort to neutralize threats from insects). The rich tends to replace the material of this garb with silk and decorate it with gemstones and fur. Traditionally, however, the cotton robe is bedecked with colorful feathers and egg shells.

You got it mostly right. Everything I colored (other than gray) is de jure part of the kingdom, with the Occulta already in open rebellion and the Malat as a powerful and very untrustworthy vassal, that is still not in open revolt. You just colored Malat bigger than it actually is (there are smaller dukes that you colored as Malat, maybe you meant them as Surr?)

Would you like me to go further in designing my neighbors? The kingdoms and tribes etc that are outside my de jure kingdom?

Also considering Karnei and Surr were under the empire for over 300 years I will probably change things further with the cultures and get more Qeng Xo into the land and culture, other than the city already there.

I'll scale back the Malat for the next map. And yes, I'd always love some more detail about neighbours!

Possible trade routes for the current map (without possible NPC's and a little more developed for my kingdom). Includes likely locations for Pirates and Raiders. Climate was taken into consideration.

I'm just bored so I do this, this is most likely meaningless for the game :p

The pirates next to the big green country should be around the trade route along the jungles...

This is actually far more useful than you thought it would be. Trade is a pretty big, though somewhat hands off, part of the game. Pirates and dickish npcs could sap huge amounts of ep out of the global trade value if the seas and important land routes aren't patrolled.

I'll scale back the Malat for the next map. And yes, I'd always love some more detail about neighbours!

This is actually far more useful than you thought it would be. Trade is a pretty big, though somewhat hands off, part of the game. Pirates and dickish npcs could sap huge amounts of ep out of the global trade value if the seas and important land routes aren't patrolled.
As long as you don't mind me adding to the world creation :p, I don't want to step on your feet. I just haven't NESed in ages, and am having withdrawal symptoms.

I am making a claims map with player names, and will add to it possible trade routes etc... I didn't know exactly where to put borders for Seon and SouthernKing since there are no maps for their claims.

Also, with the knowledge that the Qeng Xo appeared on the southern continent first, and that I took over the rich eastern part of it, is it safe to assume the Qeng Xo rose from the western part of the southern continent, south of Bair's claim?

Attachments

• DtBii86.png
    DtBii86.png
    61 KB · Views: 94
As long as you don't mind me adding to the world creation :p, I don't want to step on your feet. I just haven't NESed in ages, and am having withdrawal symptoms.

I am making a claims map with player names, and will add to it possible trade routes etc... I didn't know exactly where to put borders for Seon and SouthernKing since there are no maps for their claims.

Also, with the knowledge that the Qeng Xo appeared on the southern continent first, and that I took over the rich eastern part of it, is it safe to assume the Qeng Xo rose from the western part of the southern continent, south of Bair's claim?

Very nice Erez! Saves me a lot of trouble! Good guess with the Qeng Xo, that is exactly where I was going to put them.

Lol thanks,
here is my newer trade routes map, I hope more players will join to add more into it, and I don't know how to connect Bair's land into the routes since it is landlocked... Need some sort of NPC to bring them out (or maybe long desert routes?)

Do people have ideas what would be their main exports? I assume for me it would be Wheat (Grains?), Wine, Finished Goods, Slaves and maybe Iron and Expert Iron Weapons?

Attachments

• DtBii86.png
    DtBii86.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 93
Erez, I dunno if you noticed, but I used people that migrated out of you area as the Empire came... Want to collaborate a bit on culture/religion?

Top Bottom