The World In Hexagons - A CivV Approximation

I suppose this would be a good time to post the hexagonal Earth map I made a while back! :rolleyes:

Spoiler :

Yes, it horribly sucks, but it's not like anyone will mind. :mischief:

Might be worth making an adjustment so that ireland and england are different land masses and connecting the black sea to the med.

Otherwise what projection is that? Looks fairly good.

I didn't count horizontally, but vertically looks to be about 73 tiles (give or take a few). It, at least, gives us an idea as to what to expect from earth maps.

It's 128x80. From my mkhexgrid config:

columns = 128
rows = 80
hex-side = 15
grid-grain = h
output = png
outfile = grid.png
coord-format = ""

i didn't transform the grid in any way, so it's the right size.

Anybody interested in trying to create a better Europe - exaggerated in size and with the core details right?

(England and Ireland as true islands, correct adriatic sea, strait of istanbul, denmark not connected to scandinavia,...)

Did anybody ever come up with ideas for rule changes that make world maps more viable? Something like a handycap mod, boosting the research and production of the european civs?

I suppose this would be a good time to post the hexagonal Earth map I made a while back! :rolleyes:

Spoiler :

Actually this is awesome. Which projection did you use?

Did anybody ever come up with ideas for rule changes that make world maps more viable? Something like a handycap mod, boosting the research and production of the european civs?

You could make Europe relatively rich in resource tiles.

the best way of making it realistic would be too have a way on controlling population density per region/area/hex/whatever.

Spoiler :

Sadly, your map wouldn't look quite the same in the actual game, as the hexes in your map are placed like this so to speak: (ignore the dots, it wouldn't let me use space :()
..__
./...\
.\__/
Allowing for travelling directly north-south(note the flat up and downside)

While in Civ V the hexes are flipped 90 degrees to the side, wich allows direct east-west travel.(flat left and right side)

converting your map to the civ V hexes would cause some landmasses to shift somewhat.

I hope anybody understood what I was trying to say :p

Did you try Rhye's?

The thing with a earthmap, to get civ placement that's good for gameplay, randomly assigning them is best, which Is why I never played an earth map before, as Europe gets screwed over. However with the way it works in civ5, with random placements, I wouldn't mind playing a few Earth games :D, it looks like a fun map type with small islands / archipelago / continents & massive landmass like pangea's, such as Eurasia&Africa, one massive landmass.

This will make sense to us uber-nerds...

What if you over-layed a Hexagonal grid on the Axis and Allies world map?

They had to stretch europe and shrink africa, and it looks natural... seems like the same design issues we are having.

England and Ireland as true islands

England is not a damn island! :p Great Britain is an island that England, Scotland and Wales share. The UK (Britain informally) is a country which combines the island Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Anybody interested in trying to create a better Europe - exaggerated in size and with the core details right?

(England and Ireland as true islands, correct adriatic sea, strait of istanbul, denmark not connected to scandinavia,...)

But what about the sheep shaggers and the Scotch? :mischief:

I can asure England is an Island, there is no wales and scotland its a myth.
Wales is real...they make TV shows there, especially in the abandoned quarries. ;)

...and Scotland is no myth...every hundred years it appears out of the mist for just one day and then disappears again with the last light of the gloaming. :mischief:

To bad we can't convert civ 3 maps. The map I play 98% of my games is TETurkhan: Test of Time Earth Map. It was a 256X256 size. There were some problems such as the Delaware(Bet no one can tell me where the State of Delaware is. No one in the Midwest can.)-Maryland peninsula. I did like the fact that Constantinople and the Suez Canal acted as choke points. The former a land one, protecting europe from a persian invasion, and the latter acting as a Sea choke point, allowing any civ that controlled it easy access to the Red Sea and beyond. Maybe if you increased the size to 300 by 300 and increasing the map size by 24464 tiles:eek: you'd be able to add many missing geographical locations.

considering that Civ V will likely last five years (1988, 1996, 2001, 2005, 2010) I hope it supports at greater than 600x600 tiles (chill, we will probably be at 32 threads or greater)

considering that Civ V will likely last five years (1988, 1996, 2001, 2005, 2010) I hope it supports at greater than 600x600 tiles (chill, we will probably be at 32 threads or greater)

Wow we'd be able to have a good sized Chesapeake bay AND a long island. Killer!:goodjob::cool:

Top Bottom