1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The World In Hexagons - A CivV Approximation

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ShaqFu, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

Oh, now you've done it... :lol:
    Prepare for the wrath of the scots..:D

I think that most maps that I've seen are using a rather "eurocentric" projection, because in real life there is more landmass South of the Equator than North, for example...

For gameplay reasons this helps, of course, but one should know that it is like this.
    One has no fun if playing in Europe means the whole of the Iberic Peninsula is one city... :)

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Yeah, it would be friggin awesome, though the US would be 100 tiles wide, and California would have be W:6, H: 19 tiles! then you could have Los Angeles and San Francisco!

3. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

No south of the equator has less land in real life.

4. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

Yeah and what would happen if the US would be the width it was in supreme ruler 2020. I can't remember the exact width but it was definitely more than 100. maybe closer to 200. With yours it would take 50 turns to get from DC to San Francisco. With mine... about 100.

5. Purpureus

Purpureus Chieftain

Yeah, that may be true. I did not put that right in words... I meant Africa+Australia+Antarctica+Southern Asia+South America is more than what is north of them.... If you look at the "clasical" world map projections you would see that they are misrepresenting these landmasses because of the focal point used for the projection.

It is not important in the end. For gameplay reasons it makes perfect sense.

6. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

To mod that particular aspect would be no problem whatsoever.

7. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

No, I have to shamefully admit. I only recently mastered the basic rules well enough to play on emperor, so I didn't want to dive into such a huge mod yet. It seemed like I'd need 30+ hours to get into it.

Whoa, now if stirred something up. Yes, I was careless while using these names, but from what I've heard and experienced the average British also doesn't care much about continental Europe :p

One could create a whole bunch of plants (tomatoes, apples, corn, soja, rice,...) and spread them over the map. The amount of food you harvest depends on how many of these plants you know. New plants can either be found or traded. This would be realistic, fun (I guess) and could be used to simulate G,G & S.

But it would be a HUGE mod!

8. craig123

craig123 Prince

That may be true but we don't call continental Europe "France". :p

It's not difficult to remember:
    Great Britain = England + Scotland + Wales
    UK = Great Britain + Northern Ireland (plus some smaller islands)

At the very least, just remember that England =/= Britain. :)

9. Chieron

Chieron Warlord

The only effect of this is, that Antartica usually gets omitted/truncated because of nothing interesting being there (and, at least for the Mercator projection, it would look bigger than Asia..) As less of the Artic gets truncated usually, the Equator seems to shift north - most of Africa and all of Asia are in the northern hemisphere, you know..
    Never seen overly many Mercartor-type projection maps, despite some people claiming them to be a reason for the northern hemisphere bias. Quite a few "classical" projections preserve size. Omitting Antarctica actually lets the landmass on the southern hemisphere look bigger than it really is. (around 65% of the land are north of the Equator, your continent grouping would account for about 60% of the land mass.)

gameplay- and cartographywise there just is no point in depicting rather empty, rather uninteresting areas (mostly at least). Siberia will stay vast (and nearly as boring) even if it is just half as large, same goes for the Sahara and other regions. There is neither need to have enormous streches of unused land, nor to crowd Europe/the Mediterranean to no end. Civ just doesnt scale too well usually, large countries have huge, often unrealistic advantages (the guns, germs and steel stuff works into this, too).
    I for my part would be satisfied, if the transition from upscaled regions to downscaled ones is believable, no weird stretches.

10. imperialman

imperialman Admiral

This.

11. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

Just imagine if A map could get to the size 1000x1000. Wow...

12. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Does anyone know the maximum size? Surely it's not 128x80.

13. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Unfortunately, that would be square! It would likely be more like 1000x625. Don't think it will ever happen... not for at least another 10 years!

As far as I have heard so far... no! They won't tell us!

14. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Deity

honestly does not matter to me if people refer to England as Britain or vice versa. I call all americans yanks (which apparently means something else to them) they think of us as englanders, so let em.

15. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton Awake

That would be one possibility probably supported by the new Civ5 mechanics (and a very exciting one in deed :)). Though I was still thinking in the old patterns of Civ4.
    I.e. It would be an easy task to create special resources only used in Europe which give unique bonuses (some XML and a little 2d image modding perfectly suffices, easily accomplished without any actual knowledge about programming).

16. ShaqFu

ShaqFu Requires Nanotechnology

Oh, but it is.

17. B-29 Bomber

B-29 Bomber Prince

Um no. the TETurkhan earth map is 256x256 and it's a rectangle so...

18. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Indeed, but Suez should really be just 1 tile :)