1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They're All Barbarians.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pigswill, May 22, 2011.

1. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i thikn we should scout korea a bit w/the WB before we farm any fish with it maybe...

also, i was only playing on monarch, but i really liked founding three cities real early on as we have so many great tiles to play with over here.

2. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Roster

pigswill -

nocho -just played

cripp7 - UP

RRRaslkolnikov on deck

pholkhero

r rolo1

I'd really like to get Glight, also want to settle Korea soonish. Maybe Kyoto finishes warrior, builds LH, build/whip axe (road copper) then goes for Glight. Osaka works food tiles to get to pop 4 asap while building galley, at pop 4 it can work lake, fish, gold, incense mine, finish galley, build/whip settler.

3. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

this is a got it, I'll take a look at this stage more tomorrow and post more thoughts on that.

4. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

i like this idea, have the worker pre-chop the forest for GLH. Then road the copper, have the galley start exploring the rice/dye/silk and come back to pick up the settler/axe(whipped from Kyoto) to settle on the mainland.

Keep tech Masonry > Myst

5. nocho

nocho Deity

Just to note that the copper tile itself already has a road, to connect it just the road where the worker is now is needed.

Imo it'll take too much time to settle Korea if we want both galley and settler from Osaka. With the current setup we can have a settler on a boat in 6 or 7 turns, if both have to come from Osaka we'll be looking at much more (20 or so(?)). I also don't really understand the need for an axe between LH and GLH...
    Anyway, my thinking was to have settler whip overflow go to LH and possibly whip that one into GLH. Gold should alleviate whip anger a bit. GLH might be a few turns slower this way than starting on it immediately, but expansion will be faster.

Depending on the course of action it may be better to do myst before masonry for the discount. Basically depends on when we start on GLH.

GLH in Osaka could also be an option, given the decent early production it has. :mischief:

6. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Yes Myst > Mason would give a discount. Whip settler with overflow to LH but Mason wouldn't be in by the then so an axe to grow back (or something else until Mason comes in then whip whatever into GLH) I just said an axe for a settler/axe in the galley for barb defense on the mainland.

7. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Because Qn doesn't have to wait for galleys (and its emperor) he's likely to have a city in the north east and Korea site could already be compromised (depending on exact location). A slightly unconventional approach would be to forget Korea and leave Qin and GK to squabble over it while we looked to settle down south (starting with marble and then another inland) to stop Qin expanding freely into SE asia and keeping him hemmed in between us and GK.

8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

might be a nice idea to start settling all of indonesia and australia over the course of the game, fueled by the GLH. also, we have gold, silver and a metric ass-tonne of food to whippe the crappe out of osaka(ppe).

9. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Are we going to settle the mainland 1st or the silver 1st?

10. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Mainland. Korea or Marble?

11. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

@cripp7 :bump:

12. nocho

nocho Deity

Must agree with mainland. Korea AND marble would be nice. :)

13. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

something has come up and it won't be until Sunday, until I can play. If y'all can wait that long or RRR can pick it up. I think settling the mainland, directly across from Kyoto, and then go to marble. I think Kyoto needs to start working on the lighthouse or finish the warrior that's already in the queue. So we can whip the galley and the settler at the same time.

Yes, the gold gave us a +1:), moving the warrior back to Kyoto, or just fortifying one that is in the queue will give us an additional :)

14. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Ok, played until Myst > Masonry. Settled mainland fish/dye, GLH is queued up, :whipped: lh with +50:hammers: into it. Osaka is building a wb for Tokyo which will grow to pop 3 then a settler needs to be built for the marble site.

Are we going to settle ON the marble?

Attached Files:

15. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I think I am up so got it!

@Cripp: will comment your set after work, but from a quick glance at the save, we are in great shape! Nice job settling Korea, Qin went south east of Beijing as expected. :)

16. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Kyoto to grow while building Glight. We could probably do with hunting and AH to develop Tokyo. Osaka maybe build an axe while growing? LH and granary would be nice for whipping in the longer term but maybe we need to try to block Qin so settler first. Maybe get a worker over to Tokyo at some point.
    If we're thinking about espionage v Asoka then we need to switch EPs to him as soon as we make contact.

17. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

I would do settler in Osaka first to grab the marble (as per Cripp's plan). I am OK with all the rest :) I think hunting and AH can wait after writing, maybe even longer considering the abundance of food compared to happiness. One we get the marble city, we start can whipping axes (though that won't be for me unfortunatly)

I can play tmr (till writing I guess) :)

Cheers,
    Ras

18. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

I was just wondering if it would be quicker to grow Osaka to pop4 to doublewhip settler compared to pop3 and single whip, probably not, though we may have to consider possibility of barbs in south east Asia.

19. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Before the Lighthouse, the city has only one food special and I think it's best to keep working the gold, at least before we get intercontinental trade routes, to maintain some commerce. i wouldn't whip it. All three other cities (and then the silver/dye one) will be whipping beast though :)
    Actually I was thinking building the settler size 3 in Osaka. Growing size four will only delay the settlement of the marble, and the tile #4 is junk coast (lake gives 2 food before lighhouse so it's not worth growing before settler imo). Are you (and the rest of the team ofc) OK with it?

20. nocho

nocho Deity

Agree with settler from Osaka. Not sure on the pop3 or pop4 thing, though tile 4 could of course be an incense mine instead of coast. Actually at 4 it could be working 3 mines (if we dedicate both workers to the city) and a fish maybe, though growth to 4 obviously should happen with the lake. Dunno, I trust fully on RRR's judgement here. :p I might consider however directing the chop to Osaka instead of to the capital.