1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They're All Barbarians.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pigswill, May 22, 2011.

1. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

:eek: Expect the worse... the guy is insane and suffers from duplicated personnality. :mischief:

Spoiler :
    Osaka is size 2 right now, I was thinking grow size 3 to work that incence mine then go settler. The other mine should be used by the cap between whips. GLH is already at risk imo. I tend to think that the chop should go in the capital but not sure... marble is waiting too. choices :blush:

2. nocho

nocho Deity

Did I say "fully"? I meant "foolishly" of course! :p

Anyway, if you feel GLH is at risk direct the chop to that. If we then just miss marble spot at least we'll have someone to blame. :)

3. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

In Rolo I trust...

4. nocho

nocho Deity

Well, rolo indeed has the annoying habit of being right about nearly all the predictions he makes, but I'd still try for GLH. We have the lighthouse in place, masonry, the galley and at least Korea, so I'd try our luck with it... Have the southern chop go to it if you wish. By a rough estimate I made when I looked at the save the other day we can build it around 1500BC. Might or might not be good enough, but so far our whole setup has been geared up to try for it, so I wouldn't deviate from that path now. Did the other early wonders fall already?

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Hey, my ears are burning ! :p And what is the deal with people trusting my words ? :D

Anyway, on this ... from what I remember seeing in the save 2 days ago, the only wonder that is done ATM is Henge and is in a pop 5 city. This means that it was done most likely by Louis ( can be also Hatty,JC oe Liz, but it is far less likely ). That is good news ,since it means that Louis didn't teched fishing as their first tech, but Myst ( and maybe BW + whip ). That probably means that the top contenders now for the GLH are JC and Liz ( more the first than the second ) ...

I think we have decent chances now of getting it if we push it ( aka chop and whip as necessary/possible ) ... and given the huge effect it would have in our civ, I think we should try it.

6. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

In the few games I've played on E18 (at lower levels admittedly) the early wonders seem to be SH, Gwall and ToA. Given that we've been working towards Glight it would be a bit silly not to try now. Its possible Qin may beat us to marble but there are other sites in south china/SE asia that are equally good.

On the pop3/pop4 settler thing I'm happy for RRRaskolnikov to make a judgement, its not like I'm an expert after all.

7. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

Grow Kyoto to max :) then switch to a unit/wb/?? to 2pop :whipped: into GLH. Is Louis coastal?

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Yup, Louis starts coastal ... as well as Liz and JC.

9. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Hum, I would work the copper mine if it doesn't slow growth. But yeah, i will be overflowing stuff into the wonder. I should play in the next couple of hours :)

10. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

wow, i really need to play more civ. Just reading this stuff makes me realize how long its been...

obviously, wiser words than mine have been dispensed, so i direct you to this:

http://youtu.be/44Y-_JAjAwE

11. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

That's some skilled monkeys :lol:

I played till writing, that's 15 turns I am not sure I should continue or not. GLH is due in 10 turns. We can settle the marble site next turn. I think on the sugar is nice. We can try to split the food though the Chinese will compete for it. Maybe go aesthetic next to leverage the marble. We can then pick up alpha in trade provided we meet folks (none in the round).

Cheers,
    Ras

Attached Files:

12. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Looking good apart from the dubious reference to trading with barbarians :mad:.

Sugar looks a good spot, settling on marble would give us access straight away and a more defensive site but may deprive us of production in the longer term.

edit: I note that Gwall and Oracle have gone this round, still no sign of ToA. Press on with Glight, with Kyoto at its happy cap there's not much benefit in whipping units into Glight (though could still double whip at the end). I'm not sure Osaka needs a granary just yet, warrior, LH and culture provider (monument or lib) would appear priorities there. One the miners have finished their current project they should go to the mainland.

Techwise I think AH next . With Oracle gone there's no real benefit in going down the religious path atm. Maybe think about hunting>archery as we're protective, maybe IW.

Rooster

pigswill -

nocho -

cripp7 -

RRRaslkolnikov just played

pholkhero UP

r rolo1 on deck

13. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

That trading reference was indeed dubious :hide: I should know better. I then vote for math (opens the needed currency and calendar). Maybe hunting -> AH before, though I am not sure we need the food, but maybe some spears/chariots will be usefull soon.
    kyoto as been whipped for an axe (put 6 hammers into them for max overflow right now) with the overflow into the GLH some turns ago. Osaka's granary is to enhance its whipping capacity since for now it has none. too few food there. Feel free to postpone the build :) LH is surely worse than granary (though I am too lazy to check the maths for that particular city I confess), and I don't recall the need for culture there (no food in second ring iirc). A library should be usefull down the road though. I was thinking granary then whipping units in Osaka :dunno:.
    If we don't wihp the GLH, it migh be good to whip a settler (grow size 6 then start settler since unhappy faces still produce food while building settler) after for the silver site.

I agree one if not both of the workers should go on the continent. There is a farm to be build in Korea and a lot of worker turns awaiting near the marble :goodjob:

Sorry I should have posted about the Oracle and GW...

14. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

My concern about whipping Osaka is losing the goldmine's commerce during regrowth, also Osaka has +1F working 2 mines (LH gives +3F for faster regrowth) and it will certainly need some kind of garrison to stop its populace whining, you're right of course about granary before culture. These are of course minor nitpicks, not to be confused with criticism ;). At some point we may have to choose between Glib and elepults.

15. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i think that site on the sugar is too good to pass up ~ it could also be that the rice tile is in the 3rd ring of whatever chinese city is there and won't be too much competition.

I thikn granary first in Osaka might be better as we have no real need for culture atm (ie, no tiles we need to develop).

I also thikn some form of defense is in order, esp as we're PRO. not to mention that we'll need to ferry units there for now so best have a good defense there "just in case"

so, i was thinking:
    Hunting > Archery
    Osaka: granary > worker (whipped?? ~ we could work fish and gold while we regrow slowly to not lose commerce)
    dbl whip GLH, and what?? library?? a warrior for token garrison??
    Kyoto: Monument after Granary for culture
    new city: monument > granary

won't play until tomorrow while I'm at school so, feel free to comment

16. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Its worth remembering that we stop building warriors once hunting is in, maybe Osaka goes warrior>granary>LH.
    Korea and marble would both benefit from a worker soonish.
    Techwise hunting>archery>AH.

17. nocho

nocho Deity

I'd rather have you think of our AGG trait and build axes instead of archers. ;) We don't really need archery now. I'd go either AH or math/currency now. Settling on the sugar is fine, I believe that will give us another nice spot 3W2S.

18. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

True about archery, that can be picked up in trade. AH for chariots would be better.

19. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Trade???

20. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

playing in a few hours...

so, hunting > archery??