1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

They're All Barbarians.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pigswill, May 22, 2011.

1. nocho

nocho Deity

No! Anything but archery, please. :)

2. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

so, i went with AH first as it wsa on everyone's list.

1575: met Persia, he's got 3 cities

I whipped GLH w/4 turns left for 2 citizens (we've got 3 :mad: faces now from it)
    1475; shaved a turn off AH and i went granary next

after AH, I went w/math to unlock currency and calendar

Osaka: gran > worker

1400: met Genghis, he has 2 cities

And that was it. Images below, and I was thikning maybe cottage one of those silks while we have the two workers up there. I'm not sure about the worker q in osaka for now...another axe might've been nice.

Attached Files:

3. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Looking good :goodjob:.

At this stage of the game its always nice to have workers, it often feels that you should be building something else but you're always glad to have them (most powerful unit in the game etc).

Kyoto's Lighthouse is Great :D.

General thoughts: masterplan of eliminating Qin continues, given he's protective then elepult may be the way to go. This does depend on having some elephants so prioritise this as our next city.
    It might also be nice if we could block off Asoka from expanding too far into south east asia, so maybe look at spamming a few cities down south over the next few sets.
    Techwise: tricky, currency for extra trade route is good, calendar for platations also good, construction for cats is nice as well but can possibly wait until we've done our initial landgrab and are gearing up for war (as long as Qin hasn't got to LBs first). In a mere 70 turns Kyoto will pop a GM for either currency or MC.

Some thoughts on MM.

Satsuma, Finish monument then whip WB for clams, maybe a warrior for garrison duties to free up the axe for exploration/barb bashing.

Osaka worker>warrior>LH.

Kyoto: swop to axe, double whip so overflow finishes granary.

Tokyo: swop to settler, whip (time overflow to complete granary).

Rooster

pigswill - on deck

nocho -

cripp7 -

RRRaslkolnikov

pholkhero just played

r rolo1 UP

4. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i was thinking the same thing re: SE asia...those sites along the coast are too good to pass up i think. and as its a scenario w/a predetermined map, is looking at the revealed map to find 'phants cheating?

i also wonder if we can have Osaka build a warrior for Satsuma so it could build a granary rather than the WB after monument. Osaka has quite a bit of hammers with the gold and mined incense.

5. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Oh my goodness :eek:

Haven't checked this forum for a little while and who (re-)appears. pholk and pigswill.

Good luck with this one. I will now put on lurking powers.

But how about another AW game pholk, you know you want to???

6. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

No, Oz, please ... a rusty pholk in a AW game ? :suicide: :p

BTW, got it. Will play this after playing my own SG ( that is already on hold for a couple of days ).

7. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Oh no!! We've attracted the attention of The Staff. :help:

All Hail the Mighty Ozbenno!! :worship: :bowdown:

On a more trivial note we could be heading towards a decision point :eek: .

If we go for war against China India will probably nab SE Asia.

If we try to rex into SE Asia and associated islands China will probably be too strong to invade before gunpowder :confused:.

8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

hmm....of course i'd be up for something ~ got an idea in mind??

Return of the Quixotic Miracles

Revenge on Tiny Quintuplet Misogynists

Rappers Over the Quivering Mounds :mischief:

although, playing an SG with the staff might be a bit too hoity-toity for me...

9. cripp7

cripp7 Playin' Bored

:agree: about rexing into SE Asia, we need to come up with a war plan to hit Qin before he gets LBs

10. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

truthfully, i always thought our last city for a little while was going to be the one i founded in my set, and then we prepare for war.

we might just need to be content with China and korea in the near term, and perhaps expand towards russia for the time being (after the war, that is)

11. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Quarrelplegic Midicants would be worth revisiting I'm sure

Righteousness of the Queer Monarch...

Start it and they will come ;)

12. RRRaskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov Goldfish

Great round :goodjob:

I don't share pholk's worries about Ashoka though. He is very weak... I would rather crush Qin (which is not) now then deal with indians once we have superior land and resources. We do want to hit the Indians before Cyrus (sorry for the spoiler :D) starts his vassalizing loop.

so ... maybe we can attack BEFORE phants (Qin hasn't copper... though at least two cities on hills now ) :mischief:

please guys, start another of your AW games, those were awesome reads! (where is the whipping Fox?)

13. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

A few voices in favour of earlyish war vs Qin, not too many voices against. If that's the case then maybe we go maths>construction. We could go for an inland city west of the marble to block copper though Qin does of course have iron at Beijing. Inland copper city also has potential to be a major production centre.
    Alternatively we could go to war with four cities, build rax then axes and spears while waiting for construction then whip them cats.

Edit: ROTQM would be fun (playing an SG with pholkhero is so much fun that you hardly notice that you've lost).

14. nocho

nocho Deity

I'm very much in favour as well of knocking out Qin early. We should establish asap a strong empire in China and the rest of SE Asia as a base for conquering the rest of the world. As we have to raze everything we need to be early so our new founded cities on the ashes of Qin contribute asap. If we could keep conquered cities the urgency would be less. So yeah, I'd go math->construction and prepare for war (raxes and axes now, pults when available). Nonetheless, I think we may squeeze out another settler meanwhile from somewhere to settle somewhere westish from our current southern foothold on the continent. At some point we still want to settle on the silver on our island as well.

15. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I agree with nocho. The only thing we will win in waiting for warring Qin is him piling CG II archers in his cities ... Asoka , as RRR states , is a complete wimp and only good to clean up the jungle in SE asia .

There is also other consideration to have: Cyrus. We need to get Cyrus soon ,before he starts spitting cities in Siberia. Remember that we want ot raze them all and if we give time to Cyrus we will need to raze 30 or 40 cities only of his realm :p

Anyway, I will play tomorrow if htings go allright. Sorry for the delay :(

16. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

No problem.

If Cyrus doesn't grab Siberia then GK or Cat or Jules will so its not a huge deal, Cyrus has all the crap desert cities to build first.

17. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

I don't care with them getting Siberia,I care for our grind in having to move to all of those cities and raze them :p If we strike Cyrus sooner, that means less time lost razing cities in Siberia, hence more time to do other more useful stuff.

Anyway, someone will fill Siberia , but if we avoid the Cyrus normal empire from the artic to the persian gulf the better ...

18. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Can I play this with Always War on?

I mean, I know I'm going to get my ass kicked considering that my skills are next to none compared to those of some players here, but I wanted a challenge and trying a Conquest victory on a Huge map with Toku while razing everything seems insane enough.

19. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Single player > custom scenario > earth 18 > choose your options. Difficulty obviously depends on difficulty level but always war sounds very masochistic. Good luck.

20. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

Well, you did said they were all barbarians. Versus barbarians it's always war. :p

So far it's being a real pain, my only salvation are the real barbarians (set on raging) that are making it very hard for the AI. Qin's Protective archers and wall are making me insane, but he's also pinned down by barbs so he won't get far ahead from now and there was even a little surprise when I got to Thebes.

Spoiler my thanks to the real barbarians :