Thinking of getting a laptop...

I don't see why desktops are a huge hassle to haul around. For the considerable performance/budget bonuses, I think a little extra weight to haul around in your car or w/e, and 2 minutes more setup time, is fine.

You've never tried to haul one around then. You gotta have your monitor all packed up, all your cables and etc with you, the mouse and keyboard safe, and most of all, your tower secured. A rough ride can easily damage parts and break something.

Not something I would do often, if at all.

A gaming laptop is a massive waste of money.
This, more or less. LightFang's suggestion, a netbook and desktop, was much better - and that's only if you need the mobility of a netbook. I personally haven't needed my lappy in class at all, but of course that's just me.

How about a compromise between Desktop and Laptop: an All-In-One.

example pic:

I don't think it will be as expensive as a gaming laptop and it is also easier to transport than the desktop.

DICLAIMER: I don't know how good the gaming capabilities would be, and there may be basic design flaws inherent to the All-In-One format(I think the Mac Pro or w/e has some serious heating probs)

They suck for gaming. Think those all-in-one macs but with even worse specs.

How about a compromise between Desktop and Laptop: an All-In-One.

example pic:

I don't think it will be as expensive as a gaming laptop and it is also easier to transport than the desktop.

DICLAIMER: I don't know how good the gaming capabilities would be, and there may be basic design flaws inherent to the All-In-One format(I think the Mac Pro or w/e has some serious heating probs)
Honestly the only comparatively good all in ones are the iMacs which are underwhelming except for the 27" which pack a 2.66GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

but then again they are due for an update in the next month or so

got a good-ish deal I believe

Operating System Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU Type Intel Core i5 430M(2.26GHz)
Screen 17"
Memory Size 4GB DDR3
Hard Disk 320GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
Video Memory 1GB DDR5
Communication Gigabit LAN and WLAN
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 15.56" x 10.95" x 1.37"
Weight 7.04 lbs.
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core i5
CPU Speed 430M(2.26GHz)
Chipset
Chipset Intel HM55
Display
Screen Size 17.0"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide SXGA+
Resolution 1680 x 1050

HDD is 7200rpm, vid card is dedicated (and 1 gig)

Price: $1200

linky-dink

oh, I just noticed that was newegg canada o.O

well you'll want something in uk probably. no int'l shipping :p

I'm running a shuttle atm, had it for a few years. built it myself, with a bit of help from the 'rents. its kinda cool i guess, and certainly easier to transport, but i've found it very hard to upgrade (newer graphics cards don't fit, PSU is a serious issue) which makes it as bad as a laptop. also, i'd still have to move around the monitor, keyboard etc.

@mdwh: thanks! really hope i get in. its all kinda dependent on getting some good (and i mean really good) AS level results. competition's kinda fierce, but i reckon if i can get an interview i'll stand a good chance.

Try a microATX. They can be made gameable and are fairly portable. Might be able to find a cube case (probably not Shuttle) that takes mATX. Only problem is that it's not a very popular size of for mobos so selection is limited. I believe ASUS is the best for high end mATX.

edit: e.g. http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CD8QrQQwAA

Catch is a case that still has enough clearing and cooling potential for a high end GPU, but a mATX should theoretically allow any GPU, assuming the case can support a large enough PSU.

remember you can cram 4x2.5" into a 5.25" bay

Top Bottom