This is a little embarrassing but I still don't use corps...because I don't understand them

ShakaKhan

King
So, I have already read both the Reddit post and the post here about this subject, and I apologize to the people who are probably getting sick of making the same points over and over, but there must be something to this that I'm missing...

First, I understand that specific situations make corps/armies/armadas/fleets (simply referred to as corps from here on out) a very effective choice. Namely:
-the map grants you a golden choke-point where you can block with the tankiest unit you have and fire from behind them
-you have so many of a unit that they can't attack the target because there are too few tiles that it can be attacked from.
-you've finished a conquest campaign and now the troops are just waiting, defending, or establishing peace-through-strength, and you can save maintenance (soon, resources as well) by consolidating.
-combining two brand new units with a highly promoted one makes a single unit with the best promotions.
-late game/well developed cities can churn out corps in a turn or three

In all these situations, the transition to corp is beneficial. however, each of these situations has a bit of a counter point, possibly specific to my style of play, both on deity and lower levels.
-the map often doesn't offer the golden choke-point
-I rarely have that many units. My typical game (and there are exceptions, sometimes extreme) has 3 groups of units: a group designed to conquer cities with enough support to not lose any units (starts with the usual archer rush then upgraded with tech, often initially 5 units and grows to 10 or 12 as the game progresses, rarely more) a second group of border patrolling peacekeepers (usually horseman because they're fast enough to both catch stragglers coming in from different directions and can frequently support the city-stealing squad then hop back on the border) and a third group of faster moving city-conquerors (i.e. when knights come out.) Yes, the groups often get big enough that not all the units can hit the city on the same turn, but usually a portion of the group is sitting out to heal, so too many units to hit the target doesn't come up for me that often.
-after finishing a conquest campaign, the borders of my empire are bigger, often much bigger, so I need more units to guard the borders. I'm not too concerned about maintenance because my style of play, unless I'm speedrunning, is usually 1.)units 2.)conquest and expansion 3.)development, often with a high emphasis on economy and production. As such, I generally make more gpt, almost exponentially, as the turns advance despite increased upkeep cost.
-I rarely have a few highly promoted units and a sloo of low level units. Generally, all my units are within one or two promotion levels of each other.
-As for churning out corps right out of the gate, I do this. It doesn't address my problem, though. My problem isn't with having corps in general, but sacrificing two or three units for a single unit that's 10 or 17 points stronger.

So then we get to the benefits of having more, weaker units. First, I already know about non-linear combat strength- I know the difference between a strength 5 unit vs. strength 10 unit is the same difference as a strength 100 unit vs. a strength 105 unit.So yes, since you're often fighting units of the same era (or l level higher or lower) advancing 10 points ahead on that line can even things out if you're behind, give you an advantage when footing is equal, or put you into 1-shot range if you're ahead.

But here are the internal arguments I make for not combining my units into corps.

1.) Admittedly a weak argument, but it ain't broke so don't fix it. Between experimentation to come up with my own tactics for combat and conquest and supplementing that with points I picked up here, I can advance a campaign with very few unit losses along the way. Part of that does involve having a certain number of units being placed in certain positions, and combining units may leave me short-handed.

2.) Battles of attrition - I'll usually go through an entire deity game with losing less than a half-dozen units over the course of the game, and on several games I went the entire game without losing a single unit. One of the keys to not losing units, at least for me, is to differentiate between situations where you're going to be able to smash your opponent against situations where you don't have that degree of an advantage. In the former, you do what I think is standard civfanatics warfare- concentrate attacks on targets so that you eliminate as many units as you can' it's better to end the turn with the opponent having two less units but all the rest are full health than it is to have all of the enemy units be slightly damaged. In the latter, though, this strategy will result in you losing more units. So you distribute your attacks so that the enemy will not be able to finish off any of your units during their turn. In this context, having a greater number of weaker attacks helps to spread the damage so that you won't lose any units.

3.) The one-on-one example: it's hard to replicate this and I know my results are skewed because I'm a human that can think going against an (arguable poorly developed) AI that can't. That said, what would be the result if a single army went up against three of the same unit that were "individual" (i.e. base unit not in a corp or army.) It seems the three on one wins the majority of the time, even when the army gets first attack. If the three individual units get first attack, they each suffer more damage than they deal, but the combination of their three attacks leaves the army at mid-yellow HP whereas each of the individual units are at low green to very high yellow HP. Then the army attacks one of them, bringing himself down to low-yellow HP and the individuals have two units at low green and the attacked unit at red HP. Then the individuals attack, sacrificing the dying unit to bring the army down to red followed by attacks from the two other units which will either finish off the army or its counterattack suicides. If the army gets to strike first, he attacks one of the units bringing it down to mid-yellow and himself down to mid-green. The individuals attack, first with the weak unit bringing it down to red health or eliminated and the army drops to yellow, then the two fresh units attack bringing the army down high-red HP and each of the remaining individuals to high-yellow HP. If the army attacks, it will drop to mid-red HP and be finished off by the two remaining individuals-- there's a lot of estimation going on here, but my experience is that this is how it usually plays out.

Then there's some things that I know that I don't know the answer to:

a.) I'm pretty sure I remember cases where I could combine units of different types into corps- how does that work? If a core has both melee and ranged units, does it fight melee, ranged, or both. If a corp has cavalry and melee units, does it get 2 or 4 movement? If one of the two units has a bonus (not promotion), such as anti-cavalry and the other unit doesn't, does the corp get the bonus? or half of it?

b.)healing and saving units- if you combine two units with different HP at the time, how does their current state affect the HP of the corp upon creation? If the two units are both at 50HP, does the corp start there or slightly healed? Can I take a unit at red health, with no option as attacking suicides it and healing doesn't give enough HP to survive the next turn, and combine him with a full strength unit to save him? If so, how much HP does the corp start with? Further, if I take two units about to die and combine it with a fresh unit to make an army, how much HP does the army start with?

c.) are there any other bonuses to a corp compared to the same unit individually other than the 10 combat strength?

Sorry for the wall of text.

I'm pretty sure I remember cases where I could combine units of different types into corps- how does that work?

Units of different types cannot be combined into corps. You can link units such as civilian and support units (but not 2 military units of course).

healing and saving units- if you combine two units with different HP at the time, how does their current state affect the HP of the corp upon creation?

It seems to average the hit points of the 2 units. So the higher one drops in hit points a little.

Anyways since you are playing deity and you seem to have no issues, there's no reason you have to go to corps. If you are happy with the status quo, stick to it. I find it useful to at least get the mobilization boost by making 3 corps, and then later get the combined arms boost by making 3 armies/armadas. I find armadas more useful than armies, mainly because naval ships do not get defensive bonuses like say a melee unit in hills might.

Anyways they are more useful than just choke points. They make good units to attack cities, especially at higher difficulty levels since the city strength most likely will be higher than your unit strength.

a corps unit has 50% higher maintenance cost than a single unit of the ame type (ie 4 gold per turn becomes 6 gold per turn) and armies have 100% higher maintenance than a single unit of the same type (so 4 becomes 8). which means that combining your units to corps and then to armies reduces your unit maintenance.

also keep in mind that a corps unit is stronger than two normal units (because of the +10 strength)

Even without "golden choke points" tiles are at a premium. At most only 6 units can surround any given tile and 6 corps/armies are always going to be stronger than 6 individual units. And then the benefits extend from that, as an example if you are at a section of map that is only 3 tiles wide sending in 3 corps will break the the line more effectively than trying to do the 'ol switcharoo in lines of 3x3. That said they are by no means a requirement and you can micromanage a much larger army and still be effective, however the corps/armies will allow the same with potentially less units and certainly with less micromanagement.

Corps and Armies are first and foremost a way to augment a highly-promoted unit that may not otherwise have any strength or survivability advantage in a given situation. Once you unlock the civic, build some units for that purpose. Doing so is essentially investing the production or gold into a quantity-over-quality proposition.

Secondarily, it's a way to create a strong, concentrated vanguard force..

The OP hits these points, so I don't see the point of confusion. "I rarely have highly-promoted units", "I rarely have that many units", and "I don't need to do it to win a deity" aren't really counter-points. They're just reasons the mechanism doesn't appeal to the OP. Many mechanisms in this game are empty options that don't lead to compelling decisions.

It's like asking why you need siege units if you can just use a battering ram. Or why I need to siege if I can just smash the city with ranged attacks. They're just ways to gain an advantage. They make things easier. If you don't need things to be easier, then that's not surprising. The AI fights poorly, and some basic and early options are overpowered. No need to embark on some Redditbound quest for enlightenment.

Last edited:
OP’s username does NOT check out.

I mostly agree with OP, though. Never felt like there was a real need to go out of my way and stack units. I appreciate it when playing as Shaka, but more because of convenience and inherent OPness of how he forms the corps.

Corps and Armies are first and foremost a way to augment a highly-promoted unit that may not otherwise have any strength or suitability advantage in a given situation. Once you unlock the civic, build some units for that purpose. Essentially, investing the production or gold into a quantity-over-quality proposition.

Secondarily, it's a way to create a strong, concentrated vanguard force..

The OP hits these points, so I don't see the point of confusion. "I rarely have highly-promoted units", "I rarely have that many units", and "I don't need to do it to win a deity" aren't really counter-points. They're just reasons the mechanism doesn't appeal to the OP. Many mechanisms are empty options that don't lead to compelling decisions.

It's like asking why you need siege units if you can just use a battering ram. Or why I need to siege if I can just smash the city with ranged attacks. They're just ways to gain an advantage. They make things easier. If you don't need things to be easier, then that's not surprising. The AI fights poorly, some basic options are overpowered. No need to embark on some Redditbound quest for enlightenment.

It's basically this. I like corps, mostly because adding that extra strength to my units just makes things go a little faster in the modern times. Corps or Armies can one-shot units of earlier eras, so if I have the capacity, it's easier to use them to just destroy everyone else faster, and move on to my next game sooner. Do I need them to win? Very rarely. But they don't hurt, so it's the easiest way to make my strong units stronger, and just have less guys to move around the map.

I played some interesting games with historic speed on very large maps. This slows down research, but not production or gold generation. It is easier than normal speed, because you have time to build everything. But it also gives an epic scale to conflicts, since both you and the AI get much larger armies. And then corps and armies become relevant, since the AI uses them and you don't have the place to get the 3 on 1 fights the OP analyzed.

So, I have already read both the Reddit post and the post here about this subject, and I apologize to the people who are probably getting sick of making the same points over and over, but there must be something to this that I'm missing...

First, I understand that specific situations make corps/armies/armadas/fleets (simply referred to as corps from here on out) a very effective choice. Namely:
-the map grants you a golden choke-point where you can block with the tankiest unit you have and fire from behind them
-you have so many of a unit that they can't attack the target because there are too few tiles that it can be attacked from.
-you've finished a conquest campaign and now the troops are just waiting, defending, or establishing peace-through-strength, and you can save maintenance (soon, resources as well) by consolidating.
-combining two brand new units with a highly promoted one makes a single unit with the best promotions.
-late game/well developed cities can churn out corps in a turn or three

In all these situations, the transition to corp is beneficial. however, each of these situations has a bit of a counter point, possibly specific to my style of play, both on deity and lower levels.
-the map often doesn't offer the golden choke-point
-I rarely have that many units. My typical game (and there are exceptions, sometimes extreme) has 3 groups of units: a group designed to conquer cities with enough support to not lose any units (starts with the usual archer rush then upgraded with tech, often initially 5 units and grows to 10 or 12 as the game progresses, rarely more) a second group of border patrolling peacekeepers (usually horseman because they're fast enough to both catch stragglers coming in from different directions and can frequently support the city-stealing squad then hop back on the border) and a third group of faster moving city-conquerors (i.e. when knights come out.) Yes, the groups often get big enough that not all the units can hit the city on the same turn, but usually a portion of the group is sitting out to heal, so too many units to hit the target doesn't come up for me that often.
-after finishing a conquest campaign, the borders of my empire are bigger, often much bigger, so I need more units to guard the borders. I'm not too concerned about maintenance because my style of play, unless I'm speedrunning, is usually 1.)units 2.)conquest and expansion 3.)development, often with a high emphasis on economy and production. As such, I generally make more gpt, almost exponentially, as the turns advance despite increased upkeep cost.
-I rarely have a few highly promoted units and a sloo of low level units. Generally, all my units are within one or two promotion levels of each other.
-As for churning out corps right out of the gate, I do this. It doesn't address my problem, though. My problem isn't with having corps in general, but sacrificing two or three units for a single unit that's 10 or 17 points stronger.

So then we get to the benefits of having more, weaker units. First, I already know about non-linear combat strength- I know the difference between a strength 5 unit vs. strength 10 unit is the same difference as a strength 100 unit vs. a strength 105 unit.So yes, since you're often fighting units of the same era (or l level higher or lower) advancing 10 points ahead on that line can even things out if you're behind, give you an advantage when footing is equal, or put you into 1-shot range if you're ahead.

But here are the internal arguments I make for not combining my units into corps.

1.) Admittedly a weak argument, but it ain't broke so don't fix it. Between experimentation to come up with my own tactics for combat and conquest and supplementing that with points I picked up here, I can advance a campaign with very few unit losses along the way. Part of that does involve having a certain number of units being placed in certain positions, and combining units may leave me short-handed.

2.) Battles of attrition - I'll usually go through an entire deity game with losing less than a half-dozen units over the course of the game, and on several games I went the entire game without losing a single unit. One of the keys to not losing units, at least for me, is to differentiate between situations where you're going to be able to smash your opponent against situations where you don't have that degree of an advantage. In the former, you do what I think is standard civfanatics warfare- concentrate attacks on targets so that you eliminate as many units as you can' it's better to end the turn with the opponent having two less units but all the rest are full health than it is to have all of the enemy units be slightly damaged. In the latter, though, this strategy will result in you losing more units. So you distribute your attacks so that the enemy will not be able to finish off any of your units during their turn. In this context, having a greater number of weaker attacks helps to spread the damage so that you won't lose any units.

3.) The one-on-one example: it's hard to replicate this and I know my results are skewed because I'm a human that can think going against an (arguable poorly developed) AI that can't. That said, what would be the result if a single army went up against three of the same unit that were "individual" (i.e. base unit not in a corp or army.) It seems the three on one wins the majority of the time, even when the army gets first attack. If the three individual units get first attack, they each suffer more damage than they deal, but the combination of their three attacks leaves the army at mid-yellow HP whereas each of the individual units are at low green to very high yellow HP. Then the army attacks one of them, bringing himself down to low-yellow HP and the individuals have two units at low green and the attacked unit at red HP. Then the individuals attack, sacrificing the dying unit to bring the army down to red followed by attacks from the two other units which will either finish off the army or its counterattack suicides. If the army gets to strike first, he attacks one of the units bringing it down to mid-yellow and himself down to mid-green. The individuals attack, first with the weak unit bringing it down to red health or eliminated and the army drops to yellow, then the two fresh units attack bringing the army down high-red HP and each of the remaining individuals to high-yellow HP. If the army attacks, it will drop to mid-red HP and be finished off by the two remaining individuals-- there's a lot of estimation going on here, but my experience is that this is how it usually plays out.

Then there's some things that I know that I don't know the answer to:

a.) I'm pretty sure I remember cases where I could combine units of different types into corps- how does that work? If a core has both melee and ranged units, does it fight melee, ranged, or both. If a corp has cavalry and melee units, does it get 2 or 4 movement? If one of the two units has a bonus (not promotion), such as anti-cavalry and the other unit doesn't, does the corp get the bonus? or half of it?

b.)healing and saving units- if you combine two units with different HP at the time, how does their current state affect the HP of the corp upon creation? If the two units are both at 50HP, does the corp start there or slightly healed? Can I take a unit at red health, with no option as attacking suicides it and healing doesn't give enough HP to survive the next turn, and combine him with a full strength unit to save him? If so, how much HP does the corp start with? Further, if I take two units about to die and combine it with a fresh unit to make an army, how much HP does the army start with?

c.) are there any other bonuses to a corp compared to the same unit individually other than the 10 combat strength?

Sorry for the wall of text.

I have one piece of advice for you: always build corps and armies as soon as possible, every chance you get. Here's why: they are stronger units. you can still use the same tactics that you are used to but why not do it with stronger units? Corps and especially armies will win over single units. So having corps and armies when the AI does not, will be a major advantage.

My biggest value to them is the premium saved on efficient uses of movement points and maneuvering.

In CiVI, movement is much constrained than in V (and other previous versions) already. There's a reason commando is now seen as such a valuable melee promotion. Not having to manipulate around movements of other units to apply essentially the same force is incredibly valuable, which is a primary bonus of armies/corps for me.

The only drawback I can see is when you wind up facing several wounded enemies. Having 2 or 3 units can help finish them off quickly. But if you combined them into a corp/army, then you can only attack the enemy units one at a time.

My biggest problem with corps/armies/fleets/armada is forgetfulness. It's a mechanic that is new to the franchise and I often forget it is available to me. Recently I was trying to capture a city with 5 Frigate and a Caravel. Unfortunately, the layout of the map prevented me from being able to get all my Frigates into firing position, so some of them sat idle for a few turn before I realized, "Duh! I can just form some fleets and attack with stronger units!" Sooner or later I'll get used to it.

I use corps because I am extremely lazy and can't be bothered to move dozens of units around. Sometimes its the best way, sometimes its not but i do it out of a place of laziness. Also, I like having super soldiers with all the promotions.

I use corps because I am extremely lazy and can't be bothered to move dozens of units around.

The biggest reason I use them. Sometimes I run into trouble when I have so few units and there's trouble on the far end of the empire and I have no units available to deal with the problem (something minor like barbarians or revolt) since they are up at the border. That's the only advantage I can see having quantity over quality.

If you consider two individual units going up against a corps, without flanking bonus, its actually well balanced. In simulations the two individual units usually win but lose one unit and that last man standing will need to heal considerably. And there are scenarios when either are preferable as people have mentioned, depending upon combining promotions, terrain defense, flanking, ZoC, etc.
I didn't bother doing the test for army, but based on the above and considering that going from corps to army requires only a basic individual unit this I would suggest is a much stronger.

I have one piece of advice for you: always build corps and armies as soon as possible, every chance you get. Here's why: they are stronger units. you can still use the same tactics that you are used to but why not do it with stronger units? Corps and especially armies will win over single units. So having corps and armies when the AI does not, will be a major advantage.

Well its kind of depends on how much stronger. If corps were +1 combat strength this would be ridiculous, if corps were +20 combat strength then completely agree, but its +10, actually +8 with flanking. Even given the level of responses in this forum it seems to be a well balanced mechanic.

It really depends how and when you plan to use your units. If you want to go for some blitzkrieg and smooth conquest, corps and armies make better use of the limited space in enemy territory and will survive better from ranged attacks. On the reverse side, if you plan to stay mostly on the defensive, you will benefit from more units on key tiles to limit enemy movement and have some flanking bonus.

Some types of unit also benefit greatly from being in an army - Naval Ranged and Siege units are the best examples. Having frigates/battleships in an armada will let you survive naval battles and destroy city walls + defence in 2-3 shots. Siege units are in the same vein - you do not shoot so often but when you do, you want to make it count.

I actually think your "weak" first argument is the strongest. If your playstyle works without combined units, then why waste the production? Play the game the way you enjoy it.

I form a corp or army when:
I need to leave a garrison for loyalty purposes. If I'm not strapped for cash or faith, I'll buy an attack unit with the assumption that once it no longer needs to hold the city, it'll form up with one of my front-line units.

I have obsolete fast units—horse, knights and scouts—and want to use them for pillaging, drawing enemy units out of position, and soaking ranged attacks.

The AI gets to Infantry at an inconvenient time. A Musket corp can successfully defend against Infantry when fortified on favorable terrain.

I've built three Privateers for the Electricity boost. That's about the time that the AI's cities are strong enough to pose a threat to sailing ships pillaging the coastline.

Last edited:
I always make one of the naval and land corps to get the era points.

With Corps and Armies you can effectively fit 3 undamageable units in a City Center or Encampment versus 1. The AI is too inept to really make this critical, but its an advantage.

Top Bottom