this "memory allocation" / save bug

karembeu

Chieftain
found plenty of threads on here about the problem with the game dying when you try to save. the majority of posst saying that it is due to lack of memory on larger maps and little unexplored terrain etc., so too much for the computer to handle.

is that really true? if so, how can a game that recommends 512M require GIGS of memory simply to save a game on large maps?

also, why do auto-saves work fine, but a manual save dies. this has to be a programming bug of some kind. my auto-save games are only 500k or so, and I have 1Gb RAM???

I didn't find a fix listed anywhere for 1.61, or did I just miss one?

any help is appreciated.

~ karembeu

p.s. great, it started happening on auto-saves now as well :(

Firstly, make sure that drivers for all hard ware are up to date.

Try reducing the graphics options from the advanced menu/options/graphics. Put them on low and try again.

Also try enabling the memsave option from the .ini file found in my docs/mygames/civ 4

Any of that help with it?

cheers Civ.

It hasnt happened for a while now after increasing the pagefile size another 500M. For a game that lists 512M as "recommended" memory, I find it rather annoying that I need 1Gb of RAM and a 2Gb pagefile !!!

After some testing I found that the game runs a LOT faster with no pagefile at all, but of course that will only work on small maps and few rivals. I also find it weird that the autosaves work a lot better than manual saves, which gave the error a LOT more frequently - just strange. Isn't it saving the same amount of data???

Have to say, it says a *LOT* for the quality of the gameplay, and the goodwill this franchise has with me and others that we put up with this ;)

Maybe i'm naive, and I know my rig is not the highest end, but is it too much to expect that if you buy a game, it should work flawlessly with double the recommended specs on the box, and will work with video drivers that are only a few months old? They take a long time to develop these games, are they using drivers that are pre-released to them?

~ karembeu

Top Bottom