TimberMod

Hulfgar

Emperor
A small mod component made possible by Redox :

It will provide a new strategic resource : timber
Timber is gained from the Lumbermill improvement which can be build on Forest and Jungle tiles.
Each Lumbermill will provide 1 timber.
If the Lumbermill is pillaged the resource is lost until the improvement is repaired.

Timber will not be visible on the map, it is available with each forest and jungle tile.

There may be some compatibility problem with earth maps and maps with resource placement.

Icons and text are provided.
Use freely in your mod as you need.

Lua file : Redox
Xml file and icons : Hulfgar

Download

NEW :

Here is a new version including the Charcoal Burner's Hut.

This building will provide 1 Coal and consume 2 Timber.

Warning : you may want to adjust the Tech at which this building is available or at which coal is revealed on the map.

In this mod the building is available with Engineering while Coal is revealed with Industrialization.

Note : to use with Vanilla Civ 5 delete the file NewBuildings.xml
and rename NewBuildings_Vanilla.xml in NewBuildings.xml.

Timber and Charcoal Mod ver2 is available here

Note : I could use a better icon for the Charcoal Burner's Hut and the Timber font icon :)

Good idea.

Have you thought about what the benefit of the resource could be (or are the effects shown in the civilopedia already included)?

\Skodkim

Hello Skodkim,

in my Mod Timber is used to make coal from a Charcoal Burner's Hut, 2 Timber will provide 1 Coal.
This is an alternative to coal from mining when you don't have a coal supply in your Empire.
I use Timber for Trebuchets, Catapults and Ships as well.

Because of this I have defined a new tech (Woodworking), researchable with Agriculture and I have moved the Lumbermill improvement to this tech.

In this modcomp the Lumbermill is available with the vanilla settings (Construction).

Hello Skodkim,

in my Mod Timber is used to make coal from a Charcoal Burner's Hut, 2 Timber will provide 1 Coal.
This is an alternative to coal from mining when you don't have a coal supply in your Empire.

Because of this I have defined a new tech (Woodworking), researchable with Agriculture and I have moved the Lumbermill improvement to this tech.

In this modcomp the Lumbermill is available with the vanilla settings (Construction).

Interesting idea.

I was also thinking about some kind of production bonus to wonders (and buildings) but I'm not sure this would be possible as the Timber resource isn't map based and therefore propably not assigned to a specific city as Marble is.

You could always make a building that boosts production and make it require x timber...

Will think about more about this - I see some posibilities here...

\Skodkim

Yes I forgot to mention that my Charcoal Burner's Hut give a 15% boost in Production.

As a strategic resource, does that mean it's tradeable? If not, it may help me confirm an issue with the improvements mod of mine.

"Exotic Woods" could be a visible-on-the-map luxury version to combine with it perhaps?

yes it is tradeable.

"Exotic Woods" could be a visible-on-the-map luxury version to combine with it perhaps?
Yes you could add a new luxury resource called "Exotic Woods" that would be placed on the map. Perhaps only on Jungle Tiles.
This resource could be used to enhance buildings, culture, happiness,...

yes it is tradeable.

Yes you could add a new luxury resource called "Exotic Woods" that would be placed on the map. Perhaps only on Jungle Tiles.
This resource could be used to enhance buildings, culture, happiness,...

Ah ok, I'll have to make one up that isn't and test (I was planning on being lazy :p )

Like the idea of it being a coal substitute btw.

Hello Skodkim,

Hi

Just downloaded the Timbermod and realized that you're talking about two different modcomps here. Any chance you could upload the part with the Charcoal Burner's Hut as well?

\Skodkim

How does the AI work with this mod? In unmodded game they often cut forests, so they would end up with very little Timber...

Here is a new version including the Charcoal Burner's Hut.

This building will provide 1 Coal and consume 2 Timber.

Warning : you may want to adjust the Tech at which this building is available or at which coal is revealed on the map.

In this mod the building is available with Engineering while Coal is revealed with Industrialization.

Note : to use with Vanilla Civ 5 delete the file NewBuildings.xml
and rename NewBuildings_Vanilla.xml in NewBuildings.xml.

Timber and Charcoal Mod ver2 is available here

Hello PawelS,

So far the AI doesn't seem penalized. But I have played only 1 game for now.
Increasing the Flavor value of the Lumbermill should help save the forest if needed I think.

One interesting thing to do would be using the "Furniture" luxury resource that sukritact made, but instead of having it as a mercantile city-state resource, have it instead as a resource that is generated by a building that requires timber.

One note in regards to timber graphics: the font icon seems to be too big. While font icons normally are 22x22, the timber font icon is 24x24, and in my personal opinion black is not such a good choice for the font icon background, because in the interface it seems as if the timber font icon had a transparent background, thus making it look different from the other font icons.

The icons themselves also look a bit strange, because of their borders (the dots springing from the timber icon, for instance); using this template could improve their look: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15498

Thanks for the advice Androrc,

With photoshop I don't get the icons to a 22x22 size. It tells me that the size has to be a multiple of 4.
I will try with the Gimp, maybe it works another way.
I will drop the black background, I have finally understood how to work with the alpha layer :)

Top Bottom